Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Valherran
Forum Regular

RE: Metroid: Dreadnought

Post by Valherran » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:48 am

TerminusEst13 wrote:
President People wrote:
Valherran wrote: 1 Last thing I want to request:

Please disable the respawning of monsters on the last 2 difficulties, or at least the 2nd to last difficulty. I really despise this game mechanic, and do not find in challenging. I find it more challenging to try and kill everything rather than speed run through the level ignoring 75% of the monsters.
I don't believe monsters respawn on the second to last difficulty. The warning message, "There are numerous enemies spawn" is a bit incoherent, though. More enemies spawn than usual, I guess?
I just checked, and yeah, enemies shouldn't be respawning in Galactic Protector. If they're respawning, that's a glitch and I should fix it. Are you able to recreate it?
And I'll rephrase that sentence, thank you.
I did another romp through Galactic Protector. By default, yes, the monsters don't respawn. I don't know what I did to make them respawn like that, but somehow I did and I cannot recreate it (no, I did not use console commands).

Anyways, I tried focusing on using other equipment such as different beams and using lots of missiles. Well, missiles aren't very good currently, this is due to the lack of rapid fire. I am aware that they are using the Metroid Prime mechanic, but maybe these could be better used with the Super Metroid mechanic (fire them as fast as you can pull the trigger). Buffing the damage to compensate might outclass the beams, making people use the missiles every chance they get. But if you do it the Super Metroid way, it will leave options open.

Moving on to the Ice Beam... Currently, it's nearly the lowest tier weapon, just above the missiles. I am not sure how to remedy this without making it OP, but I have some suggestions further down below. It's current pros and cons:

Pros:
1. Has a small impact splash radius.
2. Causes lingering pain states that can perma-stun single targets.
3. Can eventually death-freeze targets caught in the splash radius if killed by it.

Cons:
1. Slow ROF.
2. Leaves you open to be attacked from other angles.
3. Only seems useful to single targets or tightly compacted groups.

Now you may say "just use it against single targets". Well I would, unless I have a different weapon that can kill that single target faster; then I would rather use it and not the Ice Beam. And this is the case 90% of the time.

Scenario:

Fully geared Samus encounters a Cyber-Demon
Debates if she should use Ice Beam, Super Missile, or Power Bomb.
If she uses Ice Beam, it will take a good 30 seconds to kill it.
If she uses Super Missile, it will die within 3 shots.
If she uses a Power Bomb, it dies instantly (lol).
Samus decides to use a Power Bomb for an easy face roll.

Another Scenario:

Fully geared Samus encounters a Baron of Hell
Debates if she should use Ice Beam, Super Missile, or Power Bomb.
If she uses Ice Beam, it will take a good 10 seconds to kill it.
If she uses Super Missile, it will die with 2 shots.
If she uses a Power Bomb, it dies instantly.
Samus decides to use a Super Missile followed by a regular missile.
Samus kills the enemy and does not waste time or a Power Bomb to win.

Clearly this beam is outclassed unless you teleport into a very compact trap room and shoot the floor to perma-stun the enemies and kill them. My viable solution to this:

1. Remove any and all pain states it causes per hit.
2. Remove splash radius.
3. Add a progressive slow effect on the enemy, the more they get hit the slower they become, and will eventually freeze and shatter.
4a. Greatly boost the damage.
OR
4b. Grant weapon Rapid Fire capability (fire as fast as you can click).

This should make the Ice Beam no longer be in the lowest tier for weapons (Power Shot is supposed to be there). Thoughts?
Last edited by Valherran on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:59 am

The speed is based on its speed in Prime I believe, where it was by far the slowest beam in the game.

Slim
Zandrone
Clan: Can't fit it in here
Clan Tag: -=FSR=-

Post by Slim » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:26 am

The Toxic Avenger wrote: The speed is based on its speed in Prime I believe, where it was by far the slowest beam in the game.
^

Also almost any ice weapon/gun in any game afaik has weaker strength.

(Except SotN, my god that sword was my battle buddy till Alucard Sword :| )
Last edited by Slim on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5
Spoiler: Quotes (Open)
5:54 PM - Slim: you're complaining about something so small that
5:54 PM - Lance: so? we do that all the time
5:55 PM - Lance: we're a bunch of losers complaining at a bar minus the bar
Spoiler: Galactus tried evading (Open)

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:23 am

Still, he's right - against single targets, I actually use the Power Beam (then again, I click inhumanly fast so yeah)
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:25 am

Icebeam wrecks imps and zombiemen though.. I won't nuke an imp to save time :V
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Nothing to see here
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:42 pm

I've actually noticed plasma and long are probably the best beams. Plasma is decently strong and goes through targets, making it a close range nightmare, while long has (as close to as possible) infinite range so it's great for picking targets off at a distance.

Wave though has a great charge ability for corridors. I've noticed though that in times of extremely high activity, long beam, at least sprite wise, doesn't appear (at least clientside). For a good example of this, it can happen a lot in Alpha/Delta's Seriously Unrealistic Quake in later waves and a few players. ESPECIALLY when you and others have spread.
Last edited by The Toxic Avenger on Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:56 pm

My current tier list of the weapons from first to last:

1. Power Bomb
2. Super Missile
3. Long Beam
4. Wave Beam
5. Plasma Beam
6. Power Shot
7. Spazer Beam
8. Ice Beam
9. Missiles
10. Bombs

For TerminusEst:

Sometimes when I view a Beam Converter at a distance, it causes my frames to drop rapidly for 2-3 seconds. Not sure if that's fixable, but it can get you killed. Any suggestions to remedy that? I don't have my graphics settings turned up or anything currently. :-/

Also, I wanted to talk about the Speed Booster. As said before it could use a seconds or 2 shaved off from the time it takes to activate ramming speed. The other thing it needs is a fix on the ramming. If you run into too many monsters, you will eventually slow down and it will stop working. This shouldn't happen, at all. An idea to fix this:

See if there is a way to form a small invisible field around you (about half the size of the player's actor in diameter) that will deal damage to enemies on contact while the ramming speed is active. This will prevent monsters from eventually slowing you down to a crawl when they don't die. In addition; when enemies are touched by that field, add a small knock back effect as they take damage or die. That way if you run through a dying monster, run into a Hell Noble, or something else large, it will knock them out of the way a bit and allow you to continue running.

If the said invisible field can be done, this could also be used for the Screw Attack module. Any time you jump it will activate, and it will work exactly the same as the speed booster in terms of physics and damage. So, simply jumping into an enemy will make them explode or get knocked back from taking massive damage.

On a side note, both of these attacks should insta-kill the following enemies:

All Zombies
Imps
Pinkies
Revenants
Lost Souls

Screw Attack should additionally insta-kill Caco Demons and Pain Elementals, everything else should get hit hard and knocked back. I am sure eventually these monsters will be replaced with Metroid enemies, but for now this would be a good change until that time. :-)
Last edited by Valherran on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:28 am

EAT YOUR DEADLY, PRISMATIC VEGETABLES.
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
http://ijontichy.lostsig.com/wads/metro ... admkay.pk3

(load with metrood 1.777b)
Last edited by Ijon Tichy on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

DooMAGE

Post by DooMAGE » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:36 am

A long time ago, I did a "demade" map of Transfer Lock from Metroid Prime Hunters.
Its good for DM, let me know If you wanna take a look.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Transfer_Lock

Polymorph
Registered just to make one post

Post by Polymorph » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:55 am

Ijon Tichy wrote: EAT YOUR DEADLY, PRISMATIC VEGETABLES.
*video*

http://ijontichy.lostsig.com/wads/metro ... lories.pk3

(load with metrood 1.777b)
Makes me want hypermode from Prime 3.

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by TerminusEst13 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:47 am

DooMAGE wrote:A long time ago, I did a "demade" map of Transfer Lock from Metroid Prime Hunters.
Its good for DM, let me know If you wanna take a look.
I would be extremely interested, if you wouldn't mind! Is there a way I can reach you, e-mail, IRC, AIM, skype, steam, or etc?
Valherran wrote:Sometimes when I view a Beam Converter at a distance, it causes my frames to drop rapidly for 2-3 seconds. Not sure if that's fixable, but it can get you killed. Any suggestions to remedy that? I don't have my graphics settings turned up or anything currently. :-/
I believe that's because of how hi-res the sprites are--they're actually really, really damn huge. I've been meaning to change them for a long time, so once they're replaced the FPS drop should go away.
Valherran wrote:Also, I wanted to talk about the Speed Booster. [...] The other thing it needs is a fix on the ramming. If you run into too many monsters, you will eventually slow down and it will stop working. This shouldn't happen, at all. An idea to fix this:
This is an extremely interesting idea, thank you! A_RadiusBlast is finnicky at best in Zandronum, but a constant pulse in addition to the one in front of the player might actually push things away. I can't promise it'll work (see: finnicky), but I'll definitely give it a shot.
The Toxic Avenger wrote: I've actually noticed plasma and long are probably the best beams. Plasma is decently strong and goes through targets, making it a close range nightmare, while long has (as close to as possible) infinite range so it's great for picking targets off at a distance.
I'll see if I can buff Spazer and Ice in co-op some, then. I need to re-do some number crunching and check out the DPS of every single weapon--once I figure out the numbers, I'll post them here for everyone to look over and critique on.
The Toxic Avenger wrote:I've noticed though that in times of extremely high activity, long beam, at least sprite wise, doesn't appear (at least clientside). For a good example of this, it can happen a lot in Alpha/Delta's Seriously Unrealistic Quake in later waves and a few players. ESPECIALLY when you and others have spread.
Hmm. I may put a railgun effect in the center of the Long Beam, then. If the sprites don't show up, the rail should still indicate where it came from. Thank you.
Valherran wrote:This should make the Ice Beam no longer be in the lowest tier for weapons (Power Shot is supposed to be there). Thoughts?
Personally, I think ice is quite powerful--especially when used in conjunction with missiles, since it stunlocks enemies and slows them down, effectively keeping you perfectly safe in a large crowd instead of risking return fire with any of the other beams. That being said, I can dig the idea of a progressive slow effect--one is in, but it's not very noticeable at the moment. I'll see if I can implement that.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:25 am

Feedback on the missiles?

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:47 pm

I'm fine with increasing their rate of fire. It'll give them a distinct buff while also accentuating their disadvantage (ammo-based). It probably won't be as fast as you can fire, but expect to be able to spam more missiles come next build.

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:05 am

TerminusEst13 wrote: I'm fine with increasing their rate of fire. It'll give them a distinct buff while also accentuating their disadvantage (ammo-based). It probably won't be as fast as you can fire, but expect to be able to spam more missiles come next build.
That sounds excellent. Rough estimate on build release?

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:22 am

Hopefully soon.

I only have two major things left to do, but they're both massive doozies.

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Sat May 03, 2014 1:28 am

Real nice jokewad term plays like a beau.

For pvp the plasma, wide,and long are like the only good weapons. Spazzer is like shotgun strength (weak) and the ice beam sucks big samus dongs, esp cuz when you are frozen you can still shoot back and usually rape them.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:20 am

Thank you.
In the next build I'll be expanding the radius of the freeze in PvP, so it'll be easier to catch people and follow up with missiles.
Spazer...not entirely sure yet. I guess the obvious answer would be simply to increase the damage, though.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sat May 03, 2014 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Sat May 03, 2014 4:37 am

Plasma is just good for everything. It's even monstrous in PvE

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Sat May 03, 2014 12:40 pm

The Toxic Avenger wrote: Plasma is just good for everything. It's even monstrous in PvE
It's severe lack of range hurts it in PvE. In PvP, it's one of the only shots worth charging up, since fully charged in can more-or-less oneshot players.
Last edited by Untitled on Sat May 03, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Sat May 03, 2014 6:52 pm

Untitled wrote:
The Toxic Avenger wrote: Plasma is just good for everything. It's even monstrous in PvE
It's severe lack of range hurts it in PvE. In PvP, it's one of the only shots worth charging up, since fully charged in can more-or-less oneshot players.
what is charged spazer (wrecks hallways something fierce)
what is charged wave (oneshots, fills room with shrapnel that discourages other people from coming in)
what is charged ice (area denial son; if they do come in they're slim pickings for missiles)
what is charged chroma storm (MORE DAKKA)
what is charged doom cannon (super-super shotgun)