Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Valherran
Forum Regular

RE: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by Valherran » Tue May 27, 2014 7:39 am

Everything is looking nice so far, but there were a couple things I noticed right off the bat:

1. Speed Booster is broken, it doesn't damage anything. Just allows you to run fast.

2. Yellow energy pickups do not carry over extra energy to an empty energy tank.

Will dive into this further tomorrow. :-)

RUNSABER
New User

Post by RUNSABER » Tue May 27, 2014 11:58 pm

DUDE. That Combat Hall revamp is SICK. To whomever improved the original that I created, heavy kudos to you! I humbly apologize for being away for some months: I was writing a Drum and Bass EP and traveling a bit to sell artwork in Louisiana, my home state. I have a couple of maps that I worked on that resembled Metroid Prime Hunters' multiplayer maps, and I still have textures from those maps also. I'll be on IRC later today to begin development on more maps in collaboration with others who are mapping for this project! Version 1 is TOP NOTCH :)

CaptainFoxx
New User

Post by CaptainFoxx » Wed May 28, 2014 4:44 am

Odd, whenever I try to use the mod, beam weapons dont spawn anywhere. Do they replace powerups or the actual weapons?

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Wed May 28, 2014 5:22 am

CaptainFoxx wrote: Odd, whenever I try to use the mod, beam weapons dont spawn anywhere. Do they replace powerups or the actual weapons?
Beam pickups replace weapon spawns. If they aren't showing, check to see if Zandronum is up to date.

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by TerminusEst13 » Wed May 28, 2014 5:28 am

CaptainFoxx wrote: Odd, whenever I try to use the mod, beam weapons dont spawn anywhere. Do they replace powerups or the actual weapons?
They replace weapons. They respect sv_noweaponspawn a little...zealously, however. If you have that on, none of them will spawn.
Sorry.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Wed May 28, 2014 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

CaptainFoxx
New User

Post by CaptainFoxx » Wed May 28, 2014 5:33 am

Valherran wrote:
Beam pickups replace weapon spawns. If they aren't showing, check to see if Zandronum is up to date.
My Zandronum IS up to date, and as far as the SV_Noweaponspawn I dont have that on, so I dont know what the problem is
Oh wait, i had to add the line and set it to 0, it works now, thanks!
Last edited by CaptainFoxx on Wed May 28, 2014 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

roman6a

Post by roman6a » Wed May 28, 2014 5:47 am

CaptainFoxx wrote:
Valherran wrote:
My Zandronum IS up to date, and as far as the SV_Noweaponspawn I dont have that on, so I dont know what the problem is
Oh wait, i had to add the line and set it to 0, it works now, thanks!
Make sure you're NOT running it with brutal doom, it is not compatible and will never be... actually, make sure you're loading JUST metroid and nothing else to be certain, and clean your skins folder.

Just sayin', since yer new.
Last edited by roman6a on Wed May 28, 2014 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Sat May 31, 2014 12:36 pm

My latest feedback on the new release:

1. Missiles - They are much better than they were before, they could still use a slight increase in ROF, then they will be perfect.

2. Ice Beam - I didn't see much of a difference in performance, I still think my previous suggestion for this weapon would be the best way to go. This beam is still bottom tier.

3. Spazer Beam - Much better than before, but Wave Beam still outclasses it due to the spread getting easily caught on objects and walls. I only use this beam in wide hallways and that's about it. Not much you can do to improve it further because it's mostly a mapping issue that handicaps this weapon. Unless maybe you want to reduce the spread by like 20%, that may help? I am sure it's decent in multi-player though.

4. MC-Charged Wave Beam - Holy crap does this blast lag when you let it off :lol: . Slows my frames to a crawl until it starts to dissipate. I have to hide behind cover immediately after firing otherwise I am stuck taking damage by anything nearby. I hope there is a way to fix it so it doesn't do that later on.

5. MC-Charged Plasma Beam - This one tends to lag pretty bad too, especially when you look at the flames up close shortly after firing. Hopefully there is a fix later on.

6. MC-Charged Ice Beam - Also lags a bit when you fire it. And also it is really terrible in terms of damage, it doesn't even kill Hell Nobles in a direct hit. I would expect this freezing cloud to be nearly putting down a Baron over time on a direct hit. It needs a damage buff, it is not worth using the 10 missiles to fire it, I am better off using the Wave Beam MC-Charge.

7. MC-Charged Long Beam - This thing is great for picking off large targets at a distance. However, I feel it should be a straight up railgun type weapon when charged like this. If it made that impact explosion when it passes through every target, it would be perfect for it's roll.

8. Ice Beam and Plasma Beam - They still get caught on walls when your back is to the wall when firing.

Other than the stuff mentioned at the top of the page, that's all for now, this release is pretty solid non-the-less. I am eagerly waiting for the new stuff to get added, and fixes to be made. :-)
Last edited by Valherran on Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Sat May 31, 2014 2:28 pm

Yeah, to be honest, The Charged Long beam is more or less useless in coop. Both Charged and MC-Charged.

Again, Non MC-Charged beams in general (excepting wave beam, of course) could use a buff in coop (they're fine in DM as they are). It's usually better to go rapid fire. Especially the long beam.

The MC-Charged Ice Beam isn't meant to kill-fire it against a horde of things and watch it stunlock everything.

Otherwise, Valherran's comments are spot on.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Sat May 31, 2014 11:45 pm

The MC-Charged Ice Beam isn't meant to kill-fire it against a horde of things and watch it stunlock everything.
I know it is meant to deal with smaller enemies, but the cost of missiles to kill those small enemies using the MC-Charged Ice Beam isn't worth it. If the cloud was a bit bigger, stun-locked, and eventually took down a Baron, then it would be decent.

Oh, another thing, Chaingun Zombies need to have their damage toned down on higher difficulties. They were hitting so hard and fast that some map areas were nearly instant kill to the player.
Last edited by Valherran on Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Espio
Forum Regular

Post by Espio » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:21 pm

This is coming along rather nicely. Expecting it to do just as well as Samsara.
https://youtu.be/qbgpcemxVPA?t=8s "Get the fuck up."
https://www.mediafire.com/?kb7sf1nizgwvqsr My custom music wad for Doom I & II - 166 MEG WARNING

<Dark-Slayer>CorpseGr1nder, get a job
<Konar6>blow*

(09:58:54)<BlueCool>think of all the stuff i couldve done in thoes 5 second
(09:59:05)<BlueCool>1. bake cookies
(09:59:16)<BlueCool>2. eat cookies

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:36 am

Valherran wrote:1. Speed Booster is broken, it doesn't damage anything. Just allows you to run fast.
2. Yellow energy pickups do not carry over extra energy to an empty energy tank.
Both of these seem to work perfectly fine to me, sorry. Are you able to tell me what you did to have these happen?
RUNSABER wrote: DUDE. That Combat Hall revamp is SICK. To whomever improved the original that I created, heavy kudos to you!
Thank you! I still need to do a few tweaks to it, now that I have a copy of Hunters to act as a cross-reference with, but I think it plays extremely solid now.
You did an awesome job with the map, all I did was just adjust a few things. :p
Valherran wrote:4. MC-Charged Wave Beam - Holy crap does this blast lag when you let it off Lol. Slows my frames to a crawl until it starts to dissipate. I have to hide behind cover immediately after firing otherwise I am stuck taking damage by anything nearby. I hope there is a way to fix it so it doesn't do that later on.
5. MC-Charged Plasma Beam - This one tends to lag pretty bad too, especially when you look at the flames up close shortly after firing. Hopefully there is a fix later on.
6. MC-Charged Ice Beam - Also lags a bit when you fire it.
Yeah, a lot of these seem to be lagging pretty bad. I'll be sure to adjust them in future builds, thank you.

I'm really not understanding the trouble with the ice beam, sorry. If anything, it seems borderline OP and has been my go-to beam of choice. The ability to completely neutralize an entire set of enemies, negate any potential return-fire damage to you, and render them more vulnerable to missiles seems like an extremely distinct and powerful set of advantages over just "more damage".
When it comes to damage, the other beams will always perform much better--Ice is for controlling the crowd and the flow of combat. If you want to kill shit, the other beams will always do better. If you want to kill shit slower but keep yourself perfectly safe from any return fire, there's the Ice Beam.
Valherran wrote:7. MC-Charged Long Beam - This thing is great for picking off large targets at a distance. However, I feel it should be a straight up railgun type weapon when charged like this. If it made that impact explosion when it passes through every target, it would be perfect for it's roll.
Ooohhhh, that's an interesting idea, I really like that. I've been pretty stumped about what to do with the Long Combo, and having a railgun-like weapon might be interesting. I'll see what I can do, thanks.
Espio wrote: This is coming along rather nicely. Expecting it to do just as well as Samsara.
Ah, thank you! I've been thrilled with the reception so far.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:27 am

Both of these seem to work perfectly fine to me, sorry. Are you able to tell me what you did to have these happen?
Just played it on GP mode, Speed Booster wasn't really hurting anything when I ran into them. And the yellow energy pickups, it's hard to reproduce that one, it's pretty random when it doesn't carry over and it doesn't happen often from the looks of it.
I'm really not understanding the trouble with the ice beam, sorry. If anything, it seems borderline OP and has been my go-to beam of choice. The ability to completely neutralize an entire set of enemies, negate any potential return-fire damage to you, and render them more vulnerable to missiles seems like an extremely distinct and powerful set of advantages over just "more damage".
When it comes to damage, the other beams will always perform much better--Ice is for controlling the crowd and the flow of combat. If you want to kill shit, the other beams will always do better. If you want to kill shit slower but keep yourself perfectly safe from any return fire, there's the Ice Beam.
I have been trying to find more uses for this beam, but I have been needing to use something else to get the job done because it was better than it. Using that beam on higher difficulties does not save you from getting shot at. Even when MC-Charged the monsters in the cloud have managed to hit me, it's rare, but it happens. But I digress, I am still sticking with what I said above. If you want to keep it that way, go for it, it just means I will avoid using it because the other beams are more efficient to kill them. That is unless you start adding more enemies that could have immunity to certain elements, then that's a different story.
Last edited by Valherran on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wirtualnosc
Forum Regular

Post by Wirtualnosc » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:16 pm

For me, Ice Beam is as fine as it is right now as well. No need for a change, the stun it gives pretty much makes the enemies dead eventually.
[20:19] <+IdeIdoom> join #VGL
[20:19] <+IdeIdoom> oh fuck
[20:19] <+IdeIdoom> I FORGOT the /
[20:19] <+IdeIdoom> biggest fail

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:54 pm

Still, if anything is annoying me; It's that the long beam is basically useless; infinite range might be nice, but it plain doesn't have enough use aside from the range for me to use it (yes, in one or two snipe scenarios, but come on, this is doom), and it's a Plasma Rifle slot.

I think the main thing is that Missile Tanks Replacing Backpacks can seriously hose you; If you get a Charge Combo pickup but only one backpack in the map, it's basically gg. If you're playing in a scenario where Missile Packs haven't been given very often, it tends to exacerbate the situation, due to the fact that you need to use your missiles on a damage-per-missile basis to avoid running out, which can lead to "Why use ice".

Then again, the only charge combos I use are Plasma Combo (for teleport traps and sniper cages), and Wave Combo (for just about everything else).

The Long Beam combo needs a rework; it's kind of completely boring. It's a missile. It travels fast. Yay.

And yes I basically only play coop
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:39 pm

Railgun or no, I think it'd be a really nice touch if the Long Missile broke the sound barrier as it flew. My two cents.
***MARATHON SKINS PACK V1.0.7***

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh.
I have been called a hundred names and will be called
a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold.

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:19 am

Question, do you have any plans to make this compatible with Heretic and Hexen? This would be fun as hell to play on those games.

ManthonyHiggs
New User

Post by ManthonyHiggs » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:40 pm

Hey there, made an account just to say I love this mod! Been playing through Doom 2 with it, it's really interesting. My only complaint is that it took a while for me to figure out that you need to hit Y after choosing your difficulty. You think you could stick a (Y: Confirm) under the descriptions or something?

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:10 pm

Valherran wrote: Question, do you have any plans to make this compatible with Heretic and Hexen? This would be fun as hell to play on those games.
I hadn't planned it, but it might be interesting to do. Not entirely sure what to do with the items, but I'll give it a shot and see what will happen.

ManthonyHiggs wrote: Hey there, made an account just to say I love this mod! Been playing through Doom 2 with it, it's really interesting. My only complaint is that it took a while for me to figure out that you need to hit Y after choosing your difficulty. You think you could stick a (Y: Confirm) under the descriptions or something?
Hi, thanks for playing! Glad you enjoy it!
And sure, that'll be in next update.

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:28 pm

I hadn't planned it, but it might be interesting to do. Not entirely sure what to do with the items, but I'll give it a shot and see what will happen.
You can replace them with already existing Metroid pick-ups. Then figure something out later down the road if you choose to expand on it.