Strife Deathmatch

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Strife Deathmatch

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:03 pm

This is good in dm, few notes:

-Make the assault rifle give more ammo on pickup
-Perhaps increase the rocket launcher spread? (radius but not damage would be fine)
-The fact that most of the weapons are now really powerful is actually p fun, it's like every gun is doom ssg powerish now.

btw the server crashed after a guy died from the flamethrower.
Last edited by Combinebobnt on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:08 pm

A few things I've noticed as I played that ffa earlier.

Assault rifle feels like it needs more ammo on pick up since you burn through all of the bullets so quickly. The mini-missile(rl?) needs a bit more splash damage on impact. As for what caused the crash earlier, this is what was at the end of the log file:

[spoiler]2014-Feb-16 14:53:15 combinebobnt killed himself.
2014-Feb-16 14:53:20 ARGENTVM died.
2014-Feb-16 14:53:21
2014-Feb-16 14:53:21
2014-Feb-16 14:53:21 *** Fatal Error ***
2014-Feb-16 14:53:21 Address not mapped to object (signal 11)
2014-Feb-16 14:53:21 Address: 0xe2
2014-Feb-16 14:53:21[/spoiler]

According to Argentum, the last thing he was doing was attempting to respawn while on fire. Despite the crash, it was a fun session and I have since restarted the server.
Last edited by Ru5tK1ng on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zergeant
New User

Post by Zergeant » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:35 pm

On top of that, things were getting kind of laggy towards the end, sounds started playing individually and I think people were having trouble aiming? All the people in there seemed to have something to do with it at least, got pretty crowded. Plus server run time.

Captain Toenail

Post by Captain Toenail » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:09 pm

It was great fun till the server exploded - picked up quite a few things that need changed. :lol:

I'll make those tweaks and hopefully get some more maps in for next release (and possibly introduce the Sigil and a new shotgun, we will see)
Last edited by Captain Toenail on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:17 pm

After playing StrifeDM, I must say it was *a lot* of fun.

IMO if people start attempting to add in new weapons and stuff it will ruin it. So far the balance of the weapons is fine. They are all really powerful and somehow balance out, making it fun. I don't know how its working out, but it just seems to work out. The only thing that might be on the plate for a slight nerf is the alt-fire on the mauler -- but even then I don't know. The game today was so fun and played well enough that I don't have any complaints.

I think the quality maps also aid in this.

Argentum may have discovered a bug when you do something after dying on fire. Needs investigation.
Last edited by Watermelon on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ARGENTVM

Post by ARGENTVM » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:29 pm

Watermelon wrote: After playing StrifeDM, I must say it was *a lot* of fun.

IMO if people start attempting to add in new weapons and stuff it will ruin it. So far the balance of the weapons is fine. They are all really powerful and somehow balance out, making it fun. I don't know how its working out, but it just seems to work out. The only thing that might be on the plate for a slight nerf is the alt-fire on the mauler -- but even then I don't know. The game today was so fun and played well enough that I don't have any complaints.

I think the quality maps also aid in this.

Argentum may have discovered a bug when you do something after dying on fire. Needs investigation.

I've tried to reproduce it and find the cause through a demo, but it only has happened once so far and it's going to be difficult to reproduce (especially with as many players were present in the server, it's difficult to pinpoint what caused it).

As Water said, this is some pretty good stuff - it was a really fun play until the random server crash. You may want to add some more ammo upon pickup of the Assault Rifle, though. I am also curious as to how the Sigil and its variants will work out (or if they will be excluded from the maps).

Demo can be found here.
Last edited by ARGENTVM on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theshooter7
Forum Regular

Post by Theshooter7 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:36 pm

This is a wild guess, but I theorize the crash is because the player is still technically alive and in control when dying from fire (ala how Strife does it). So when trying to respawn while still technically 'alive' causes the issue. It's probably best to change the burning death state to either spawn a fake burning body in the player's place and hide the dying player, or make the player follow a normal death state with the burning frames and just add in some A_Explode calls to simulate the effect. In either case, removal of A_ItBurnsItBurns and A_CrispyPlayer and all calls to A_Wander are probably the best way to fix the crash assuming it is caused by the flamethrower as others have stated.

Ral
Banned
Banned: Permanently

Post by Ral » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:41 pm

This is a good ass wad it was funny as fuck with 12 players on it today rofl 1+ this for fnf if it gets it
Last edited by Ral on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image <----- Dont Pretend

Theshooter7
Forum Regular

Post by Theshooter7 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:47 pm

After getting around to a real playtest with a handful of people, I must say that this is -really- fun. The maps provided are looking sharp and are well themed. Having the weapons be absurdly powerful adds to the joy and the pace of the gameplay and I think that's one thing that makes it shine so well.

That being said, I do still have some suggestions though I imagine they may have been brought up.
  • Obviously Mauler is really powerful. I've read you're working on some kind of shotgun now so that will be dealt with. :)
  • The Flamethrower needs even more range, I feel like it just puts you at too much risk considering the burning body damage when you score a kill. Several times during my playtest I managed to kill my attacker after being burned simply because I could run into him and finish him off. And often I've taken huge amounts of damage from bumping into a burning guy as well.
  • Minimissiles are awesomely powerful, but I feel the ammo capacity could be knocked down to 20 or 30 (40 or 60 with backpack) to reduce its spammyness. Other than that, I feel like it's a really fun, inaccurate but fast firing rocket launcher of doom.
  • Shadow Armor translucency value needs some looking into. It's way too easy to camp the shadow armor, then go around stealth killing people with the mauler. You can't even react or see them coming. Sure there is SOME visibility but a lot of times I was shot by a guy that seemed entirely invisible. Can't remember if this was a specific mechanic of the shadow armor or if the game is bugged or if my lighting settings weren't good enough, but regardless I feel it could use some looking into.
Keep up the awesome work! :D

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:52 pm

I will also agree with theshooter regarding the flamethrower. Its range feels a bit short and I'd suggest perhaps a 1/4 or 1/5 extension of it's current range would be good enough. Adding a shotgun would probably make things much harder to tweak and balance and even more so when you add the Sigil, so I will also vouch for 'no shotgun plz'. The Mauler's Alt is a bit op and possibly a small nerf is all it really needs.

TheMightyHeracross
Forum Regular

Post by TheMightyHeracross » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:54 pm

Wow, I had a blast in a botmatch. I missed it when actual people where playing though.
Why not give the bots some chat phrases? Here are a few, some from VOICES.WAD, others just made up. This is probably not enough for the bots, just a few examples.
Rebels:

Code: Select all

[IntroStrings]
"Fight for the Front and Freedom! Move out!" //Maybe just for the Macil bot you say you plan
"Move out!"
"We will own this day!"

[FragStrings]
"I got one!"
"One less tyrant on our planet."
"Your shield won't help you now, huh?"

[KilledStrings]
"I'm hit!"
"He's got me!"
"Medic!"

[RareRoamingStrings]
"You gotta break a few eggs to kill everybody! Or, something." //From VOICES.WAD

[RoamingStrings]
"When we're in charge, the Order's gonna eat dirt!"
"Macil better pay me double for this."

[LosingRoamingStrings]
"We cannot lose! Keep going!"
"The Order is gaining the upper hand!"
"We need more men!"

[WinStrings]
"Long live the Truth!" //Unused from VOICES.WAD
"Another step to freedom!"
"One more day to the end of tyranny!"
"Mission accomplished."

[LoseStrings]
"We may have lost the battle, but this is not the end of rebellion!"
"Retreat!"

Order:

[IntroStrings]
"The Order's wrath will rain down on you until you beg for death!" //Originally from VOICES.WAD
"You'd fit well in an Acolyte's uniform."
"Your rebellion will be crushed."
"All hail the Spirit of the One God!"

[FragStrings]
"Move along, filthy peasant."
"One less pathetic rebel."
"Get lost, rebel."
"Move along, or taste metal." //From VOICES.WAD

[KilledStrings]
"Spirit of the One God avenge me!" //From a Macil quote
"You can kill me.... but you cannot kill the Spirit of the One God......"
"You will inevitably feel the wrath of the Order... peasant..."

[RareRoamingStrings]
"A peasant's death rattle is a lovely sound, don't you think?" //From VOICES.wad

[RoamingStrings]
"You cannot hide from the Order's wrath!"
"Peasant! Turn yourself in or be killed!"
"I'll find you, rebel."

[LosingRoamingStrings]
"We cannot allow these peasants to win!"
"You may have the upper hand now, but the One God will make you feel its wrath inevitably."
"We need the cyber-soldiers!"

[WinStrings]
"Victory to the Order was unavoidable."
"Your defeat was obvious from the beginning."
"The wrath of the One God has shown itself to you!"

[LoseStrings]
"You may have won here, but none can defeat the One God."
"You control the area... for now...."
"Hmm... the Bishop will not be pleased..."

THE MIGHTY HERACROSS

Captain Toenail

Post by Captain Toenail » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:22 am

Yeah, once things are nearing completion I'll set up a proper offline bot campaign - I'll bung the chat string in then, thanks for compiling the list. :smile:

Alright, here comes release number 3. I have read through all your comments and have tweaked things once again, gameplay should be even smoother now than before. No new maps yet, though I have several submissions queuing up that I need to look at properly and twiddle with before I add them to the wad.

The flame death is disabled completely for now till I get round to rebuilding it.

Changelog:

17/02/14

WEAPONS & ITEMS

Crossbow - Recoloured crossbow bolts to avoid confusion with poison bolts
AssaultGun - doubled pickup ammo
MiniMissileLauncher - Decreased minimissile damage
MiniMissileLauncher - Increased minimissile explosion radius
MiniMissileLauncher - Halved minimissile ammo count
GrenadeLauncher - Decreased HEGrenade damage
GrenadeLauncher - Decreased HEGrenade radius
Flamethrower - Increased range
Mauler - Decreased torpedo wave damage
Missing obituary messages added to all weapons
Restored missing weapon decals
ShadowArmor - reduced duration

MAPS

SDM01 - Modified item placement
SDM02 - Modified item placement
SDM03 - Modified map layout
SDM03 - Modified item placement
SDM04 - Modified item placement

MISC

Fixed broken UpgradeAccuracy scripts
Reduced volume of waterfall sound loops
Added limit to assault gun sound effect
Changed map and intermission music
Flame death state removed for now for stability
Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/pa9q6 ... eDM_A3.zip

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:17 am

The test server has been updated with the latest version: [BE]New York :: Strife Deathmatch Testing v3

I played a few rounds with v3 and I feel the balance is pretty damn good. I was able to get in some 1v1s and some rounds of FFA. I noticed that the crossbow ammo counter does not decrease with use and once you run out of arrows, the crossbow still runs it's fire animation. Despite this, the arrow speed buff makes the Crossbow much better than before and much better than the Doom Pistol.

The Rifle and Flamethrower are good to go and most likely don't need any tweaking at the moment. It might be the Quake in me, but the MiniMissile might need a tad more splash damage although the missile speed is a nice middle ground between Doom and Quake RLs. The Mauler's Alt Fire is no longer op and seems to be balanced quite nicely. As for its primary fire, it might need a bit more tweaking as some have said it's still a bit op and theshooter said it might just need a slightly lower rate of fire. I suggest you play some rounds for yourself before you make any changes to the Mauler.

The GrenadeLauncher actually seems like it's nerfed a bit too much. Its range feels a bit too short and I didn't see many people using it as much as before (which may or may not be a good thing). Lastly, the ShadowArmor time reduction is good and the only thing that is needed is to make the player a bit more opaque so they can be seen a little easier.

As I've mentioned, I would urge you to play a whole rotation of the maps and develop your own take on the things I've addressed before you make any further changes.

Keep up the great work. ;)

Captain Toenail

Post by Captain Toenail » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Yes I agree. I took the grenade launcher's damage too far in the other direction, will need to rectify that.

As for the MiniMissile Launcher, I think it is in a good spot for now. It is supposed to fire 'mini' missiles, after all.

Why the crossbow does not use ammunition during online play I have no idea, it seems to work fine offline. I'm guessing it's a bug, but if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

I've had a hectic week, but I am still working on this when I have time. Another map is ready for next release, this one was an experiment with 3D floors. It's based on Dukematch3 from Duke Nukem Land of the Babes of all places.

I'm usually reluctant to use many 3d floors as I don't feel they work too well with ZDoom's limited mouselook. I've found the trick is not to put them any higher than about 128 units off the ground otherwise things get too vertical for software-mode players and those that prefer not to use mouselook. Adds a whole new dynamic to multiplayer maps, it's a shame they are not utilised more often (and in less-gimmicky ways).

The alien textures and ambient sounds, combined with a weird reverb effect give a really creepy atmosphere to this one.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by Captain Toenail on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:00 am

Actually I take back what I said about messing with the Shadow Armor translucency; it doesn't need any changing. I've realized that the armor should be treated just as the Sou lSphere or Blue Armor are: a power up that need good placement.

After running around a bit online, I think the rocket ammo boxes give way too many rockets. 40 rockets on pick up is way too much and after 2 boxes on sdm01, you have 96 rockets. Yes, the average player probably won't live long enough to burn through 90+ rockets, but things change depending on map, player count, shadow armor etc. 20 per box would seem to be more than enough.

New map looks pretty cool. We definitely need more maps, we burn through 4 too quickly :)

Disguise

Post by Disguise » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:25 am

Finally Strife gets the attention that it deserves! Good luck with this project, Cap'n!

Gardevoir
Forum Regular

Post by Gardevoir » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:06 pm

Captain Toenail wrote:Why the crossbow does not use ammunition during online play I have no idea, it seems to work fine offline. I'm guessing it's a bug, but if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.
Welcome to the world of Zandronum where all Strife native actions are so bugged they never work correctly! Yes, that thing is a bug. Poison Crossbow does not use any ammo when shooting online. There was so many bugs while I was first doing Strifeguy for Samsara I decided to remove all native actions from the code (I only failed with nade launcher because I suck at Decorate). I suggest doing the same thing for at least Poison Crossbow in order to make it work correctly.
Never forget... 8.10.2012
(O+|+<) ~*

HI

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:09 pm

As usual, if something is broken in Zandronum, please report it on the tracker. At first glance, I didn't see any report for the crossbow, so it looks like nobody reported this yet.

Gardevoir
Forum Regular

Post by Gardevoir » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:03 pm

I just made 3 entries on Bug Tracker about the things I know that break in Strife (and not only) including Crossbows (both), Flamethrower and UpgradeStamina. There's also an old one about wasting money on buying things because there's no information that you are maxed out already.

Edit: Found one more. Geez, you guys surely hate Strife Actors.
Last edited by Gardevoir on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget... 8.10.2012
(O+|+<) ~*

HI

Captain Toenail

Post by Captain Toenail » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:58 pm

Ok here is version 4.

Changelog 24/02/14

WEAPONS & ITEMS

Mini-MissileLauncher - Halved ammo pickup count
Mini-MissileLauncher - Halved weapon ammogive count
GrenadeLauncher - Increased HEGrenade Damage radius
GrenadeLauncher - Halved weapon ammogive count
Flamethrower - Halved weapon ammogive count

MAPS

SDM01 - Modified item placement

New map - SDM05: Arena of the Entity
new map - SDM06: Western Tarnhill
New map - SDM07: Courtyard

MISC

Fixed broken UpgradeAccuracy scripts
Reduced volume of alien sound loops

Main features are the addition of three new maps, bringing the roster up to a total of seven. Ammo levels have been adjusted and the grenade launcher has had some tweaking to make it slightly more powerful again. Finally the flame death has been re-added in a form that hopefully won't crash the server this time.

The maps:
[spoiler]SDM05: Arena of the Entity

SDM06: Western Tarnhill by Gardevoir

SDM07: Courtyard
Image[/spoiler]

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/qz9lq ... eDM_A4.zip

Enjoy. :smile: