Strife Deathmatch

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Strife Deathmatch

Post by Combinebobnt » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:30 pm

Good stuff keep making maps for this

Theshooter7
Forum Regular

Post by Theshooter7 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:24 am

These maps look fantastic! I'll give this a whirl on the servers sometime soon. :)

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:14 am

The new changes sound pretty cool. I like the halving of the flamethrower ammo pick up count. It makes the mauler less op by removing the large ammo boost the original 200 gave. The new maps look pretty cool and I can't wait to try them out along with the buffed GL. It goes without saying that the testing server has been updated with the new version.

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Sorry for the double post but I just need to stress how worthless the GL is. It is still really underpowered and hard to get any frags with. On map05, you were better off using the crossbow rather than pick up the GL. But anyway, a few things about the maps this time:

MAP05: It is probably the worst map of the pack for a few reasons. It's too monotonous in regards of the textures and dat echo D:. It's a bit symmetrical and easy to lose your surroundings but the teleport gimmick really makes those flaws stand out more. Perhaps splitting the map in half and texturing each a different color along with a different way to reach the top and bottom would make this map much betters. It also needs some more rocket ammo.

MAP06: I like how the mauler is locked away and the shadow armor is placed in a nice spot. There was a lot of flamethrower action going on and the map is well spaced and pretty good flow. Maybe add some more rocket ammo and and it's pretty much good to go for now. I need a larger player count to comment on the mauler area of the map. Also is that a gun you can't pick up near the 2nd floor near the fans going towards the shadow armor?

MAP07: Easily the most enjoyable map out of the newest additions. The shadow armor probably needs to be moved away from the mauler though. Other than that, I have no complaints about the map.

I'll probably try to get a larger player count sometime between now and Sunday.

Zakken
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:03 am

Ooh, glad to see Strife DM is back again! Thanks for presenting us with such good work, Capt.

Popsoap

Post by Popsoap » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:38 am

Ru5tK1ng wrote:Sorry for the double post but I just need to stress how worthless the GL is. It is still really underpowered and hard to get any frags with. On map05, you were better off using the crossbow rather than pick up the GL.
The big problem with Strife's GL is that the grenades don't explode on impact. So incredible timing is needed for it to match the other weapons in usefulness.

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:23 am

Actually the Grenade Launcher was quite powerful in v2 of this mod and there had already been some nerfing done if I recall. In subsequent versions I noticed no one really using the GL as much as before because it had simply been nerfed too much. In one instance earlier today I noted how someone lived when two grenades exploded right in front of him whereas in v2 he would have been toast.

Needless to say, I'll still be trying to use it as much as I can in order to find out what exactly is the final touch it needs. In the end the mod is a lot of fun and Capt. is doing a great job.

Captain Toenail

Post by Captain Toenail » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:52 pm

Apologies for the lack of recent updates.

Just a small update for now. The grenade launcher has been buffed and SDM05: Arena of the Entity has been reworked into something hopefully more interesting and fun to play.

Don't forgot I am still accempting map submissions, ideally Strife in UDMF format.

Anyway, here's the download link, have fun. :cool:

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0d4x7 ... eDM_A5.zip

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:31 am

The new design looks so much better I'll have to get some sessions going during the week. The only thing I forgot to mention before about map06 is that the lift takes forever to go up to the missile launcher. Perhaps another pickup could be placed elsewhere along with another flamethrower since the current flamethrower room is easily camped. I have a few things on my plate currently but I'll definitely get a map or 2 made for this.

Here's a dwango5 map01 conversion hastily made by Combinebob a while ago that you could probably use.

http://rust.unidoom.org/strifedwango.wad
Last edited by Ru5tK1ng on Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Projects

EonDM - With Hatred as my sidekick.
RageCTF - Made 1 map and did much more.
DBAB LMS - Pack made for Last Man Standing.
EonWeapons - Improve vanilla weapons and add stuff for kicks.
Progressive Duel - Leaving the old behind.
IDL201X CTF - Maintaining since 2013.
Strife AA - Helped tested + 1 map

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:45 am

I love the balance, now all this needs is more maps. Good work!
<PUN1SH3R> Cube has a magnetic effect
<PUN1SH3R> all other clans are in orbit with us, they just dont know it
<PUN1SH3R> occasionally cube will pull a player into it's system
[Quote=DwangoUnited Website] Eyes has tainted the DWANGO name in World of Warcraft. Eyes owes several thousand gold to friends that offered to loan it to him. He's since cut us off completely, and is not planning on gaming or paying back what he owes leaving DWANGO United with the debt. You have hurt us in more ways than you can know, pal. I hope you're happy that we've bent over backwards for you. Thanks for paying us back with a spit in the face and a cold shoulder. By the way pal, your bfg skills suck ass.[/quote]
09:08 <Shane_> It's better being a cuck
09:08 <Shane_> Trust me, you'll learn one day

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:14 am

Map05 is definitely a lot better now and way more enjoyable to play on. The weapon balance is pretty good and its good to see that each weapon is useful in DM.

I'm also working on a map and hopefully I can get it done within a few days.

Edit: I just described the mauler alt fire D:
Last edited by Ru5tK1ng on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Projects

EonDM - With Hatred as my sidekick.
RageCTF - Made 1 map and did much more.
DBAB LMS - Pack made for Last Man Standing.
EonWeapons - Improve vanilla weapons and add stuff for kicks.
Progressive Duel - Leaving the old behind.
IDL201X CTF - Maintaining since 2013.
Strife AA - Helped tested + 1 map

Captain Toenail

Post by Captain Toenail » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:53 am

Ok guys just to let you know, I have several 'IRL' things going on at the moment which I should be concentrating on, and won't have time to work on this till the end of March.

If you make any maps it's probably best to compile them into a seperate wad and run it alongside the latest release for now, until I get round to merging them with the main project.

HumanBones
FNF Team

Post by HumanBones » Thu May 01, 2014 4:38 am

Is this still being worked on? It's a lot of fun, would love to see it get completed.

Captain Toenail

Post by Captain Toenail » Thu May 01, 2014 3:24 pm

Yeah sorry for the lack of any updates, a month late!

I've been busy with coursework and health issues, nice combo. :( I have several exams in two weeks time, but once that is out of the way I should have time to work on this properly.

I'm glad to see there is still interest in this - I can certainly make some small tweaks and bundle in any new maps now, just send me a link to the wad file.

I have also thought of porting maps from my Heretic deathmatch project, Chaos Deathmatch into this, since that never gets played. Feels like a bit of a cop-out however, what do you think?

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Thu May 01, 2014 7:50 pm

I'd say only if they fit in of course, but a single glance at your work tells me you know that alreadt ;)
I think maybe make some minor changes to optimise them for strife gameplay?
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

Afrit

Post by Afrit » Wed May 07, 2014 3:43 am

My hands... are willing to map for this.. :allears:

Captain Toenail

Post by Captain Toenail » Fri May 16, 2014 6:08 pm

Please don't hesitate to do so, Afrit. :smile:

Just to show this isn't dead here's a map I have been working on, some sort of mash of Goldeneye's Temple and Unreal Tournament.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb20 ... be9b6f.png
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb20 ... dbfeb8.png
Also planning on making some CTF mirror versions of existing maps to see how that plays out.

I have also added the two maps by Ru5tk1ng and CombineBob to the latest build, bringing the total so far to 10 maps. Expect a new upload in a week or two. :smile:
Last edited by Captain Toenail on Fri May 16, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zergeant
New User

Post by Zergeant » Sat May 17, 2014 12:15 am

Was unsure about the quality of the map so held off on posting it till Toenail returned. But here it is, a dark ass alien map.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nktga ... enator.wad

Afrit

Post by Afrit » Mon May 19, 2014 1:27 am

it remembers me of something.. (not just Alien, but a map i saw somewhere else)

Captain Toenail

Post by Captain Toenail » Mon May 19, 2014 8:56 pm

Update time.

The wad now has a name - Strife: Absolute Anarchy

New maps!

SDM08 "Back Alley" by Ru5tK1ng
SDM09 "DwangoNT" by CombinebobNT
SDM11 "Alienator" by Zergeant
SDM10 "Temple"
SDM12 "Hen House"*
SDM13 "Um Bongo"*
*these two are reskins from Chaos Deathmatch

and two CTF maps;
SCTF01 "Temple CTF"
SCTF02 "Sacrifice CTF"

I have also made some minor tweaks here and there to the existing maps.

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ekay9 ... feAAb1.zip

Enjoy! :smile:
Last edited by Captain Toenail on Mon May 19, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.