Tortured Transmission: Alpha v1 Hotfix! (Repost)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Ted

RE: Tortured Transmission: Alpha v1 Hotfix! (Repost)

Post by Ted » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:03 pm

Untitled wrote:
I spoke with Garo about the accuracy; The reason for their accuracy is at the moment, Zandronum doesn't support the float random feature Zdoom does, so he can't properly randomize it like it's supposed to be. Hopefully in the next Zan 2.0 update it will be supported. It's really a shame that it's so behind (Roughly 2 years, if not over).

He also said that as far as the damage goes, the damage stresses the point of strategy vs brute force. You have to find a way to take down different enemies in the map without expecting to blindly run through it and expecting to survive. While they are zombies, this doesn't change the weapon function. It still shoots bullets that hurt, y'know?
The issue is, what happens if a trap opens up? You know, the classic traps that force you into right where the map maker wants you to be. What do you do?
Or what happens when you teleport into a surround-style ambush because the maps designed that way.
The issue is traps are sort of a large part of doom mapping and ruining them all is not a wise idea.

Also, try playing MAP32 of Plutonia, and prepare to die over and over and over again.

This is very much the same problem Mutiny has.
Different weapons can help you get out of traps, or prevent being ambushed so badly. Let's say if you walk through a door and a wall opens and you die; Next time you know that's there, and you can attack it accordingly. Also, with teleport traps, hand grenades teleport. Might help a bit. Let me know any other map wads you have issues with, and I'll see how hard they are myself. Always up for a good challenge!

Bloax
Forum Regular

Post by Bloax » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:22 am

Doom isn't supposed to be progressed through by repeatedly dying and immediately trying to not die effortlessly to this one trap you shouldn't be dying from unless you fucked up.
[quote="Kennon Conrad"]Dear LawCounsels,
To prove your compressor works, I suggest you try it on your posts and then post only the result.

We all know an ideal lossy compressor would output 0 bytes for your posts, so see if you can beat that.

Have a nice day.[/quote]

Sarcose
New User

Post by Sarcose » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:24 am

Ted wrote:
Untitled wrote:
I spoke with Garo about the accuracy; The reason for their accuracy is at the moment, Zandronum doesn't support the float random feature Zdoom does, so he can't properly randomize it like it's supposed to be. Hopefully in the next Zan 2.0 update it will be supported. It's really a shame that it's so behind (Roughly 2 years, if not over).

He also said that as far as the damage goes, the damage stresses the point of strategy vs brute force. You have to find a way to take down different enemies in the map without expecting to blindly run through it and expecting to survive. While they are zombies, this doesn't change the weapon function. It still shoots bullets that hurt, y'know?
The issue is, what happens if a trap opens up? You know, the classic traps that force you into right where the map maker wants you to be. What do you do?
Or what happens when you teleport into a surround-style ambush because the maps designed that way.
The issue is traps are sort of a large part of doom mapping and ruining them all is not a wise idea.

Also, try playing MAP32 of Plutonia, and prepare to die over and over and over again.

Different weapons can help you get out of traps, or prevent being ambushed so badly. Let's say if you walk through a door and a wall opens and you die; Next time you know that's there, and you can attack it accordingly. Also, with teleport traps, hand grenades teleport. Might help a bit. Let me know any other map wads you have issues with, and I'll see how hard they are myself. Always up for a good challenge!

Teleport trap: you are in a room, and monsters teleport around you. Without warning.

The bad way of game design: designing the trap or player's tools to work in such a way as to require foreknowledge (i.e., I tried this before and I meta-know there is a trap here).

The good way: giving the player the ability to respond to all situations thrown at them, the first time they encounter the situation, without ramping up the difficulty too greatly in that one situation by forcing the player to utilize functionality not explicitly designed.

Ted

Post by Ted » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:41 am

Bloax wrote: Doom isn't supposed to be progressed through by repeatedly dying and immediately trying to not die effortlessly to this one trap you shouldn't be dying from unless you fucked up.
This mod is made for more of a challenge, regardless. Like in Plutonia map 01, if two guys with chainguns open up in a trap right behind you and start firing, there's no logical reason why you shouldn't die rather quick. It's bullets, not nerf darts. If you're quick enough to react to the trap, you won't die; But if you stand right in front of it, you will.
Sarcose wrote:
Ted wrote:
Untitled wrote:

Teleport trap: you are in a room, and monsters teleport around you. Without warning.

The bad way of game design: designing the trap or player's tools to work in such a way as to require foreknowledge (i.e., I tried this before and I meta-know there is a trap here).

The good way: giving the player the ability to respond to all situations thrown at them, the first time they encounter the situation, without ramping up the difficulty too greatly in that one situation by forcing the player to utilize functionality not explicitly designed.
I figured what he meant about teleport trap was you teleport and there's monsters where you teleport to. If the damage is too rough for you early on, the lowest difficulty has 50% damage reduction, and the 2nd lowest has 75%. Thanks for making TT your first post.
Last edited by Ted on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:36 am

challenge != die instantly through circumstances outside your control

just
saiyan

edit: also quote pyramids making up 80% of your post is kind of bad
Last edited by Ijon Tichy on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:28 am

Eh, teleport traps can work either way, either you teleport into a death trap, or you walk into a room, the door shuts behind you and then all hell teleports loose.

Another problem is when maps are designed with unfair beginnings. These go from "unfair" to "die instantly". I understand why maps do it - to put pressure on the player.

The problem with this is that the map begins and you die.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053