Survivalism (DayZ / Rust Inspired) - Now with Persistent Inventory

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Vincent(PDP)
Forum Regular
Clan: My DOOM site
Clan Tag: <MDS>

RE: Survivalism (DayZ / Rust Inspired) - Now with Persistent Inventory

Post by Vincent(PDP) » Tue May 26, 2015 10:36 pm

Deathtoll wrote: It appears that Hax has stopped working on Survivalism. There is a port, though they've screwed up so much in it that I've just about lost interest. Forcing people to learn a whole new system is NOT how one is supposed to fork a project.
Totally agreed. Sadly there are too many of those guys out there, and most of the times the forks aren't even good. :)
If you're gonna change the gameplay, why not create your own mod (from scratch) instead?

I was thinking of making a port of this, but I would rather use it only with my friends since we prefer the houses to be completely safe. Neither of us have played DayZ, but we prefer more calm survival rather than hardcore (or what you should call it).
Last edited by Vincent(PDP) on Tue May 26, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
//Visual Vincent ( Vincent (PDP) )
- My DOOM site Team

My projects:
Spoiler: (Open)
Doom Writer
Escape From The Laboratory - Done
Escape From The Laboratory Part 2
Parkskolan Zombie Horde Map (ZM10) - Done
In game Admin Commands for Zandronum.
Achievement Mod for Zandronum
Stats mod

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:40 pm

Hey guys,

I started working on this mod again in the last 2 months and though I've added some new stuff, I'm stuck and I could use some more suggestions on what to add next!

Here's what's in r14 test11:

Update: I've uploaded r14 test 11 to the server. Give it a shot and let me know how things are playing for you!
104.236.221.85:10667
Survivalism (DoomZ) r14 Test 11 - August 3rd
View the 3 screenshots on Imgur!

- Procedural vegetation system - I wrote this crazy procedural vegetation system that creates a frustum of foliage around the player. It automatically populates any dirt surfaces with plants, but it's all done on the clientside and is fairly well optimized for speed. If anyone notices slowdown, please let me know! I think we can push it to be quite a bit more dense....

- Water bucket! At level 13 or 14, you unlock bucket crafting. If you water your plants, they'll grow quite a bit faster. (Did I mention enemies will attack your growing plants? Protect them!)

- Revamped monster spawner again. Zombies spawn in clusters now sometimes, which makes the combat a lot more fun. In general, there's more bad guys now. Also torches work better at preventing monsters from spawning, with even less server CPU usage now.

- A few cosmetic tweaks - water sounds, splashes (thanks Enjay!), waterfall spawner.

- Some DoomZ2 improvements - The canyon near the spawn isn't a wasteland anymore. I added an extra mine below the huge waterfall chasm too.

What's Next?

I need your help! There's two main problems I'm struggling to solve right now:

1) The game only gets easier as you go on, since you're accumulating weapons, ammo, building your base, and so forth. RPGs balance this out by throwing harder badguys at you. DayZ somewhat balances this out by making you a bigger target for other players if you have better gear. What should we do? Should I make it so that as you build up your base, it attracts stronger badguys? Should I also throw tougher badguys at you as you gain XP? (This would be done on a per-player and per-base basis, so that new players joining a game in progress wouldn't be overwhelmed.)

Any other ways to solve this?

2) There are no health sources at the start of the game. This gives you a strong incentive to farm, but makes the start of the game feel unfair. Ænima suggested that wild plants could spawn just often enough so that if the player spends all their time looking for them, they can stay alive. (His idea was in reference to a hunger system but it could apply to health.) In that case, the player trades time for health. What are some other ways to solve this?

Also re: hunger system - I keep thinking about this and I'm not sure. (I'm biased and don't like hunger systems because they feel like a chore, but I'm still open to the idea if it's actually fun.) I was thinking that you could axe zombie corpses a few times to get a tiny bit of meat to quench your hunger. It'd be time consuming, so you'd still have an incentive to farm.

Maybe a system that's hunger-like but only temporary could be fun, like a plague hitting all the players and requiring medicine.

Anyways, thanks again for all your feedback and please keep it coming! Looking back at the start of this thread, you guys have really driven the way this mod has development. Tons of stuff I've implemented came directly from your ideas here. :)
Last edited by haxmurderer on Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:13 am

I suggest that if you decide on a hunger system, then you can either make it add to the survival aspect, meaning that you need it to stay slive, or you can decide on food simply amplifying the abilities of the player. (Branding being fed as positive rather than not being negative)
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

Deathtoll

Post by Deathtoll » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:36 pm

I'd be careful while thinking about implementing the bases/monster spawn thing - some players like to make their base right at the spawn point. That could get problematic for newer players joining in.

I'm not really a fan of hunger systems, and it seems like it'd eat up more server CPU.

The chainsaw is lost when you die. Every time I die it has failed to drop with my corpse. :(

I like the random vegetation system as it breaks up the barren landscape. Even in a zombie apocalypse, grass grows!

Keep at it!
Also, my exp was not saved, nor my weapons upon the logout/disconnect option use. I'm back at level 01. :(
Last edited by Deathtoll on Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdagenet
Forum Regular
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: A3

Post by jdagenet » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:53 pm

Yeah, the vegatation system is pretty cool.
I'll also throw the idea out there that maybe after time the plants could grow bigger and bigger like a real post-apocalyptic setting. Maybe equipt the player with a machete so he can chop'em down and such.
<Dynamo_>uh
<Dynamo_>did you just take the thread away
<FusedQyou>Dunno
<FusedQyou>ask the thread

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:22 am

jdagenet wrote: Yeah, the vegatation system is pretty cool.
I'll also throw the idea out there that maybe after time the plants could grow bigger and bigger like a real post-apocalyptic setting. Maybe equipt the player with a machete so he can chop'em down and such.
Or set it on fire. :o

I had some cool ideas for fire but it would just be more server memory usage. Like giving some blocks a custom pain state that would make them catch on fire, wood type blocks and trees would have a high fire painchance and would do a_explode calls that have the chance of catching other blocks/trees on fire, while stone blocks would be totally unaffected.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:00 am

Hey guys,

I coded up a hunger system and it's been released on the server (r14 test 13). Like I said, I'm not a fan of hunger systems but I think this one is different and adds an extra layer to the gameplay you already know.

Here's how the hunger system works:
- It only kicks in after level 15, at which point you get some seeds when you open the level 15 scroll.
- You have to eat about once every 1.5 days. You can eat turnips or cooked chickens.
- TWIST #1: Turnips now only stay ripe for something like 5 minutes. If you don't harvest them, they'll die, so you need to pay attention to farming now more and plan the timing of your crops.
- TWIST #2: In the morning each day, any food you have in your inventory will spoil. Since you can't stockpile food anymore, you have to constantly be growing crops or raising chickens.
- If you die of starvation, "death" stalks you until you find the Ankh of Life and use it. It'll spawn somewhere randomly on the map.

I went with these rules because I think it adds more depth to the farming mechanic. It also makes the game a bit more challenging after level 15, which balances your skill level and makes it more fun. I don't think it's super difficult, but a rogue mancubus could really mess up your food chain. :)

Tip: Remember the water bucket causes crops to grow much quicker (3x fast, I think). By choosing to water some crops and not others, you can have more control over the timing of your harvest.

@deathtoll: Chainsaw drops should work, I just tested it, but all items on the ground can be destroyed. Is it possible a mancubus or something has shot your chainsaw and destroyed it every time? I'll give it more health in the next update. The hunger system takes up almost no CPU, no worries there.

@jdagenet: Thanks! The vegetation system is all clientside so although I'd love to have it grow, I'm not sure if we could make it interactive. I have a crazy idea how to do it but not sure if it'd work. (I'd make it so that as soon a client-side vegetation actor takes damage, it'd spawn a server-side version of itself so it'd be synchronized across all networked players.)

@AEnima: The fire system for that is actually already coded! Logs and trees can catch on fire and spread using A_Explode. (This might be busted in Zandronum 2.0 but it was working flawlessly in 1.3. I spent forever getting it to work just right and avoiding infinite recursion. Try it!) I purposely didn't make wooden boxes inflammable because I figure it'd result in so much griefing, and not really be any fun. If wood wasn't the most plentiful building material, then maybe we could make it work.

Thanks for the feedback guys, and if you have time to test out the new hunger system, let me know if it needs adjustment or if you have any ideas on how to take it further. :)

Thanks,
Hax
Last edited by haxmurderer on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdagenet
Forum Regular

Post by jdagenet » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:32 am

Awesome stuff!
It's a shame Nash never released his real-time day/night weather engine because that would've fit insanely well in this mod. Then again, there would've still been an issue with lag for people playing on lower-end computers, but still, we can dream right? :P

I think the next big thing on Survivalism's list is an extremely large, detailed, and natural-looking map. The main map that everyone plays on now is very bland in terms and character.
The music choice also concerns me too as for style of music just doesn't fit. If I get around to it, I'll make a few transition sound effects for day/night (maybe even other things) and send them to you, if you're okay with it of course.

Can't wait to see what you add next!
<Dynamo_>uh
<FusedQyou>Dunno

rescue86k
New User

Post by rescue86k » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:46 am

Hey all, I want to take up making a map for this mod. Just 1 beautiful huge map. It wont be scripted or THING populated (aside from player start for testing). Mostly just... a map resource for haxmurderer.

I had a few concerns:

-I'm worried my map will be so detailed it will crash doom. Is there any guidlines I should be aware of? I noticed most big doom maps are severely blocky. I will be keeping the "huge" in there, + detailed. Is that a problem, performance wise? Any guidlines to allow me to push in more detail without crashing doom? (if needed). There will be vast viewing distances, of detailed landscape......

The box to the right is the approximate size of the original map being used now.
Progress so far, been 2-3 days in development. I expect this small project to take a month.
Last edited by rescue86k on Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdagenet
Forum Regular

Post by jdagenet » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:08 pm

Problems can arise from an accesive amount of detail, mainly from people with lower-end PC's.
If you do plan on taking on a map, I think it would be best if you mapped out the general layout beforehand and slowly build ontop of the layout with detail. After each revision, the server could be updated to see how it runs online with players building, defending, and exploring all at the same time. If no complaints come-about, you could add a second layer of detail and repeat the process until we find the sweet-spot between good and bad FPS (regarding map detail anyway).
<Dynamo_>uh
<FusedQyou>Dunno

Ryuq
Registered just to make one post

Post by Ryuq » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:32 pm

Well i wanted to play some Survivalism today, but dont know why i get... 1 fps when i join server. But when i press "New Game" and have exactly same map theres normal fps and i can normally play. Is this becouse of large amount of player placed blocks? I've seen so many around spawn... Any way to fix my fps? Its even on Software mode where 3d models arent rendered... This mod is awesome and i want to continue playing it but..well at this time its impossible. I hope that theres a way to fix it.
(And sorry for my poor English)

rescue86k
New User

Post by rescue86k » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:24 am

jdagenet wrote: Problems can arise from an accesive amount of detail, mainly from people with lower-end PC's.
If you do plan on taking on a map, I think it would be best if you mapped out the general layout beforehand and slowly build ontop of the layout with detail. After each revision, the server could be updated to see how it runs online with players building, defending, and exploring all at the same time. If no complaints come-about, you could add a second layer of detail and repeat the process until we find the sweet-spot between good and bad FPS (regarding map detail anyway).
That is a great idea.

I noticed that my lighting effects are defaulted to the same brightness when the mod is active. Is there a way around it?
Last edited by rescue86k on Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:20 am

rescue86k wrote:
jdagenet wrote: Problems can arise from an accesive amount of detail, mainly from people with lower-end PC's.
That is a great idea.

I noticed that my lighting effects are defaulted to the same brightness when the mod is active. Is there a way around it?
Set any indoor sections to have a sector tag other than 0. I use tag 1 for my indoor sections. Also, I have a whole bunch of mapping notes available here:
https://github.com/asantoni/survivalism ... 0Notes.txt
Especially read the part about the max map size. Your monsters and collision detection will start to act weird if you have a map that's beyond the dimensions I mention in the doc.

Re: Performance - The vegetation system definitely has a performance penalty and still seems to work strangely under certain circumstances. I will try to make a keybind for disabling it.

Coal
Registered just to make one post

Post by Coal » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:34 pm

Sorry but getting to level 15 feels like a death sentence, all the crops die way too fast to grow food/hemp!
Also all the time playing only managed to come across 3 hemp seeds on some secluded island, after dying can't seem to see anymore at all, it possible to get more through a quest?
Help!

rescue86k
New User

Post by rescue86k » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:21 am

phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
I think I'm 6 days past due on when I said I would have the map complete. Epic fail, bc I'm not done! Go figures... the map is more work than first thought. Here is my progress:
EDIT: I replaced the images with this video. Sometimes I prefer not to bump a thread when the update is small:
Last edited by rescue86k on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:22 pm

Hey guys, quick update:

- I've pushed out a new test version to the server, which adds:
* A hunger system rebalance (I hear you, Coal!)
* A berry system! Big thanks to Zedeke for getting the basis of this down and contributing it. It works pretty much as AEnima said - You can survive off berries as long as you spend most of your time foraging. The system is pretty complicated under the hood to keep it balanced, but it does usually buy you a lot more time to find eggs or seeds. Look for them!
* A bunch of ambient sounds to DoomZ2 to give it more atmosphere.
* An inventory guard that you get automatically after level 15 (I think). It protects your dropped inventory from other players for 10 minutes after you die. People rightly complained that new players would join the server, grab someone's sweet sweet loot, and then quit, taking their stuff into the void. This will help prevent that.

That's all for now, keep on surviving!

rescue86k
New User

Post by rescue86k » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:28 pm

Okay I'm done. It still has unfinished areas, (optional to complete) and anything with a keep out texture was my communication to the next map author that the area was planned on being worked on. Most these areas can be ignored by replacing the keepout texture with something else to make it blend in. Honestly I was in the process of uploading this to idgames, and OMG how over complicated can anyone make uploading a 1994 game.. map. I can upload Halo Custom Edition maps without the need of a tutorial.... I downloaded some "FileZilla" which totally messed with my computer setup, Bing.com, adware galore.. omg. I decided against uploading to idgames and just did MediaFire, created new account. Someone needs to streamline uploading Wad Files XD.

The map requires certain texture packs, see readme included.

Survivalism Map

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:43 pm

rescue86k wrote: Okay I'm done. It still has unfinished areas, (optional to complete) and anything with a keep out texture was my communication to the next map author that the area was planned on being worked on. Most these areas can be ignored by replacing the keepout texture with something else to make it blend in. Honestly I was in the process of uploading this to idgames, and OMG how over complicated can anyone make uploading a 1994 game.. map. I can upload Halo Custom Edition maps without the need of a tutorial.... I downloaded some "FileZilla" which totally messed with my computer setup, Bing.com, adware galore.. omg. I decided against uploading to idgames and just did MediaFire, created new account. Someone needs to streamline uploading Wad Files XD.

The map requires certain texture packs, see readme included.

Survivalism Map
This map is sweet, and someone should definitely pick up and keep working on it. Thanks for your hard work rescue86k!

Some of the next steps on the map should be to incorporate some of the gameplay elements, like mines, obelisks, quest points, water, etc, and to carve out some good spots to make bases. If anyone wants to take up this challenge, please be my guest!

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:02 pm

Hi guys,

I've been working on a new version, r15, and I've updated the server with the latest build (download doomz-r15test4.pk3). Here's a quick list of what's new:

New Items:
  • Parachute - Save yourself from deadly falls with an auto-deploying parachute!
  • Jack - Lift up constructions and objects.
  • Hoist - Drop a platform to hoist up fallen bridges or players stuck in pits.
  • Steel / Iron Ore - Stronger blocks and useful for building hoists!
  • Silica / Glass / Computer Chips - The mine near the imps on doomz2 is now a silica mine.
  • Advanced sentries - Better range, FOV, and slightly stronger.
Gameplay and Challenges:
  • Obelisks - You can't just waltz into mines any more. To unlock a mine, you must defeat a boss and then defend that mine's obelisk to keep it open.
  • Mine Changes - Different mines contain different resources now.
  • Hunger system is easier now. Should it be removed or made even easier? Let me know!
  • Seeds - Hemp seeds added to loot table and harvesting turnips yields more seeds.
Bugfixes:
  • Fixed dangerous UniqueTID/UnusedTID usage, which is likely to fix a lot of random bugs that would happen during long games.
  • Chickens cluck more
  • Fixed the wrong player getting quest cancelled in multiplayer
  • Potentially fixed wrong player getting death curse in multiplayer
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
As always, any feedback would be greatly appreciated! What do you want to see next? Should I remove the hunger system?

Thanks,
Hax

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:04 pm

Haha cool! Great work.

And I think you should keep hunger but mayyyybe tone it down even more. Idunno I don't have a problem with how it is now.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community