Survivalism (DayZ / Rust Inspired) - Now with Persistent Inventory

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
agaures
Forum Regular

RE: Survivalism (DayZ / Rust Inspired)

Post by agaures » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:44 am

haxmurderer wrote: Anyone have any ideas about what you'd like to see next?
Stuff! Just, more stuff! Keep working on this, it's amazing.
<agaures> I'm guessing you haven't played many doom mods before huh? :p
<Zuplin> i have played master of puppets zombies doom center and a couple more
<agaures> so not many
<Zuplin> i thought that was everything

4chon
New User

Post by 4chon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:00 am

This thing made me back alive on this forum. Something epic as fuck.

4avenger5
New User

Post by 4avenger5 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:59 am

Great to see an update however there are some problems:
1.Morning is too short and night is too long (in my opinion)
2.When loading a game with placed boxes, the boxes exist however cannot be seen.
3.When you die you lose some items, the big one is that you lose all the construction kit items(doors, floors, etc).
4.You are unable to destroy the construction poles.

Other than that keep up the good work!

P.S. I would love to see turrets that would be able to defend your base. Also can you please make so the blocks, floors, etc. do not fall from the ground because it makes it a pain in the arse to replace if you accidentally destroy a block.
Last edited by 4avenger5 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

AkumaKing
Forum Regular

Post by AkumaKing » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:16 am

4avenger5 wrote: Great to see an update however there are some problems:
1.Morning is too short and night is too long (in my opinion)
2.When loading a game with placed boxes, the boxes exist however cannot be seen.
3.When you die you lose some items, the big one is that you lose all the construction kit items(doors, floors, etc).
4.You are unable to destroy the construction poles.
I'm just gonna speak up here for a moment. Out of these, I think only 2 and 4 are actual issues. (2 sounds like a legit bug and 4 is just inconvenient as heck) With morning being too short, I think it being short is best since it's just a break and you'd get bored easily if there wasn't much to kill(, I think). Meanwhile, 3 puts emphasize on the survival thing going on. (think RotMG or MC)
Projects: Unbound, Zelda DXA

TheMightyHeracross
Forum Regular

Post by TheMightyHeracross » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:48 am

All of my YES.
You know what would be really cool? NPC interaction. Other survivors could trade with you or team up with you if you help them, and attack you if you attack them. Bandits are always attacking you. Since we have Strife dialogues to help, I think that would really help this mod.
EDIT:Oh Hell, I coded that axe for Realm667! That's cool that it's in this wad. Mike12 did an excellent job on those sprites.
Last edited by TheMightyHeracross on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE MIGHTY HERACROSS

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:54 pm

Hi guys,

I've been making small new releases over the past few months that I haven't announced here, but I've just made two bigger updates over the last week that feel worthy of an announcement. Lots of new changes, and lots of good multiplayer testing going on now. People are building cooler, bigger bases and sticking around for longer, so that's good. :) (I'm always surprised to see how creative everyone is.)

I'm going to cross-post the new changelog here. I just added it to the first post:
Spoiler: New Screenshots of r8 - July 12th update (Open)
New in r8:
- 10 bugfixes, including making it harder for blocks to get stuck in the sky, and fixed the tree chopping bug :P
- New skin for door blocks

New in r5-r7:
  • New non-linear day/night cycle with sweet new sky textures and fog!
  • Torches!
  • Stone blocks! Mine rocks to get stone.
  • Added a cave/mine to DoomZ2 map
  • Zombies attack your base now!
  • Death Incarnates spawn at night!
  • Roofs, Doors
  • Turnip harvesting for health!
  • New DoomZ2 map
  • Axe by default, construction gun by default
  • Better foliage, way more foliage (thanks Powergloveninja)
  • Respawn delay when you die
  • Added zombie scientists from Realm667
  • Dead trees are choppable now but regrow slowly
  • Bow, Armor, SSG drop for Hell Knight
  • Random events
  • New random event: Imp storm
  • Added mudmen (Ghouls) to the swamp in DoomZ2
  • New F1 screen (thanks Claudio!)
The new day/night cycle totally deserves a video, I should make one. Fog rolls in at night and the sky changes dynamically during the day, making it feel pretty atmospheric. Night time is also a lot shorter but more intense now, which ends up making it more entertaining and less frustrating.

I think for the next release, I'm going to spend some time rounding out DoomZ2 and really building out and polishing the map. I'm going to add a bunch more areas to it and make the areas better connected and less linear. If I make the map bigger, experimenting with TDM might be cool too....

Thanks and enjoy!
Hax

ibm5155
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by ibm5155 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:16 pm

Well the mod is cool, Actually I prefer something like nether (you see four or five monsters, but they re actually really dangerous)...
and, I can't even find health D:
there should be also some fix to not spawn monsters on places where they couldn't be, as on places where they get stucked on the walls or on places where players would be dead if they were there...

But, it's a good start

EDIT:
actually, I found the turrents a bit dumb :s, most of the times they just stay on idle and don't shoot enemies that're near from them
Last edited by ibm5155 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Projects
Cursed Maze: DONE, V2.0
Zombie Horde - ZM09 map update: [3/15/13]
Need help with English? Then you've come to the right place!

<this post is proof of "Decline">

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:19 pm

Cool stuff

could you perhaps make the blocks have a simple sprite for us non-opengl users so that we don't have to build a base out of invisible blocks? Just need to know that it is there in the first place

TheMightyHeracross
Forum Regular

Post by TheMightyHeracross » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:17 pm

Nice work! The lagfix is really showing.

I have an idea to reduce monster count- give two checks to the monster. One is an A_CheckSight check, to see if he is in a possible LOS of any player. Second is an A_JumpIfTargetCloser to see if the target's in a certain radius (2048 map units will do?). If both fail, the monster goes away. Also, have the monster corpse disappear after an A_CheckSight test so that it fades away when no one has a possible LOS. This will reduce monster count, especially the monsters outside of the map geometry, and increase framerate.
THE MIGHTY HERACROSS

AndDT
Registered just to make one post

Post by AndDT » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:47 pm

Feature request: I'd like to see stimpacks in inventory, as in whodunit.

CloudFlash
Zandrone

Post by CloudFlash » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:01 pm

Okay, so I played this today, and have few things to say:
-Bow is too op. Either increase arrows' speed or decrease their damage. I opt for that first option, seeing how arrows now look as if they were in slowmode.
-Once, I died, respawned after 15 seconds, immediately died again after respawning (I don't know how could that happen. Telefrag?) and then got stuck in the 'still waiting for the respawn' state.
-The monsters are a bit too weak; one can survive just by circlejerking them and collecting loot. I'd advise giving players some stamina system that would require them to occasionally stay still or collect food or something of the sort.
-A hellknight is way too easy to kill. He gets all that scenery change and dramatic music and instead of some epic hard bossfight I expected, all I had to do was circle him with my bow and shot few times. I'd suggest turning him into something worth killing, with way more hp and way more methods of killing players.
-Axe... Well, I understand that you wanted to make it feel cool by making it change players' angle when they use it, but... it's more annoying than is it cool, in my opinion. Makes it harder to aim, and stuff.
-How about some flying enemies?
Last edited by CloudFlash on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://i.imgflip.com/i5tpe.jpg
*Hey, who wants to hear my solution to the modern world's problems? ^Me! %Me! @Me! #Me! *WELL TOO BAD @Did he just stab himself with this butcher knife? %Looks like it ^Hey, the pizza guy arrived! %Pizza! Yey

TheMightyHeracross
Forum Regular

Post by TheMightyHeracross » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:34 pm

If you were talking to me on the server, you know this, but I've been making a map for this (with Hax's approval). I decided it was playable enough to post it and get suggestions. It's a larger than the others, and it is supposed to promote exploration and construction- a canyon blocks the way to the town (which I will add more houses to soon), and a bridge must be built, and a tall cliff holds a stone inside of it, but must have stairs built to go up. A large river and a few small ponds hold many trees and the occasional turnip. Here are some screenshots:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/61y2x6o2vszqz ... 4.wad?dl=1
THE MIGHTY HERACROSS

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:38 am

TheMightyHeracross wrote: Nice work! The lagfix is really showing.

I have an idea to reduce monster count- give two checks to the monster. One is an A_CheckSight check, to see if he is in a possible LOS of any player. Second is an A_JumpIfTargetCloser to see if the target's in a certain radius (2048 map units will do?). If both fail, the monster goes away. Also, have the monster corpse disappear after an A_CheckSight test so that it fades away when no one has a possible LOS. This will reduce monster count, especially the monsters outside of the map geometry, and increase framerate.
I'm already using A_CheckSight like this, but I definitely need to try A_JumpIfCloser. I thought the only way to do it would be A_CheckRange in Zandronum 2.0 but it'd be better to have a solution that works before then, so thanks for pointing out that function!

ALSO: New update (r10) is out! Here's the changelog for the new version.

New in r10 (August 28th 2014 Update):

Now with 500% more Mountain:
  • - The DoomZ2 map is now twice as big. Go explore!
    - Chickens farming!
    - Turnip farming!
    - Monsters spawn at better heights now
    - Arrows shot with the bow now arc
    - Less pinkies, revamped pinky explosion
    - Swamp area improved
    - Fixed spectator respawn death
    - P.S. There's something special at the top of the big mountain in DoomZ2.
I think I'm going to focus on revamping the monster and loot spawning algorithm for the next version. I want to incentive exploration a lot more, and eliminate a couple of constraints that are currently shaping the way I'm designing the DoomZ2 map. As the map is growing and I'm adding more and more items, I'm finding that it's just too easy to just camp and collect infinite items, and I think the game would be more fun if you had to venture out to forage for loot and resources more. On the other hand, sometimes you just want to build a cool base, so I'll try to strike the right balance. I'd also like to add a lot more adventure to the game, including more stuff like the action that goes on at the top of the mountain. :)

Anyways, as always, your feedback is very welcome! I've been having a blast playing this with you guys, and I take lots of notes on what you're saying, so keep the ideas rolling and good luck surviving!
Last edited by haxmurderer on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:07 am

Whoever is hosting this on best-ever needs to turn kick votes off. Besides idiots complaining about me killing them, this is fun.

SyKoTiC
Forum Regular

Post by SyKoTiC » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:00 am

The ability to kill people is part of the game, if they complain about it. It's what made DayZ so thrilling. The act of finding a human is more damning than a zombie/monster. The person who hosts the server is haxmurderer himself.
Being part of this DooM/Port madness since 2006
It's No Use!

TheMightyHeracross
Forum Regular

Post by TheMightyHeracross » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:57 pm

Please, please, PLEASE take the autokill off of the canyon near the spawn in DOOMZ2. It makes no sense that people can build stairs down, calmly step on the floor, and instantly die.
Last edited by TheMightyHeracross on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE MIGHTY HERACROSS

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:51 pm

Ok the mod is good but the author is an idiot. Why do you enable kick votes but not team damage? Half the point of rust / day z is to find random players and make them your bitch. The server seriously needs kick votes off and teamdamage enabled with random spawns.

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:09 am

Catastrophe wrote: Ok the mod is good but the author is an idiot. Why do you enable kick votes but not team damage? Half the point of rust / day z is to find random players and make them your bitch. The server seriously needs kick votes off and teamdamage enabled with random spawns.
I didn't do this intentionally, but I'm sorry regardless. I'm not well versed with the best practices for Doom server hosting. These are the default BE settings. What settings would you recommend?

The mod is in a weird place right now where the DoomZ2 map is not really big enough to give the players a DayZ-like world where finding another player is rare. And given that the Rust developers basically started their game over again, I'm trying to take this mod in a slightly different direction that harnesses the strengths of Doom (as a damn good FPS) but still has tons of adventure, loot, exploration, and base building.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't know what the right balance is going to be for the whole PvP thing, or even how to prevent griefing in coop. I can imagine the coop game being totally different from the deathmatch game, where the deathmatch (or TDM) plays out more like DayZ but with location-based resource hoarding.

Anyways, what settings do you think would make the most sense for a coop server and for a deathmatch server? And how should we deal with griefers in the short term in coop servers? (rcon admins?)

Thanks,
Hax

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:17 am

I'd say kick votes off, spread out spawns, and teamdamage enabled. That's how it is in rust/dayz, no?

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:21 am

SyKoTiC wrote: The ability to kill people is part of the game, if they complain about it. It's what made DayZ so thrilling. The act of finding a human is more damning than a zombie/monster. The person who hosts the server is haxmurderer himself.
Ok, fixed for the next release. Thanks for the feedback.