Survivalism (DayZ / Rust Inspired) - Now with Persistent Inventory

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
ZzZombo
Forum Regular

RE: Survivalism (DayZ / Rust Inspired)

Post by ZzZombo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:17 am

A_JumpIfCloser() only would work for the killer of a thing.
QZRcon - Qt-based tool for Zandronum/Skulltag servers!
#grandvoid funny stats

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:30 pm

So I made something.
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag

Hemp can be harvested to make rope, which can be used for grappling hooks. It's not a hookshot (this doesn't grab enemies, it just deploys a line of rope wherever the arrow hits), but maybe that can be implemented somehow. For right now it's just the Bow's altfire and you can only hold 4 grappling arrows at a time (because lol imagine the spam).

That's all I made so far. Hax might have some ideas for even more uses for rope. Rope ladders maybe? Like the grappling hook except permanent and requiring construction (grappling hook ropes only stay for 30 seconds before falling).

Most of the rope code was borrowed (with permission) from TheShooter7, originally from his 99GunsX which I tweaked (and fixed because it didn't work online) and used in Mercenaries v1.9.
Last edited by Ænima on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:05 pm

Hey that's neat, though maybe this should have it's own IRC channel as well so people could provide feedback n' stuff.
<PUN1SH3R> Cube has a magnetic effect
<PUN1SH3R> all other clans are in orbit with us, they just dont know it
<PUN1SH3R> occasionally cube will pull a player into it's system
[Quote=DwangoUnited Website] Eyes has tainted the DWANGO name in World of Warcraft. Eyes owes several thousand gold to friends that offered to loan it to him. He's since cut us off completely, and is not planning on gaming or paying back what he owes leaving DWANGO United with the debt. You have hurt us in more ways than you can know, pal. I hope you're happy that we've bent over backwards for you. Thanks for paying us back with a spit in the face and a cold shoulder. By the way pal, your bfg skills suck ass.[/quote]
09:08 <Shane_> It's better being a cuck
09:08 <Shane_> Trust me, you'll learn one day

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:44 pm

Ænima wrote: So I made something.
phpBB [video]

Hemp can be harvested to make rope, which can be used for grappling hooks. It's not a hookshot (this doesn't grab enemies, it just deploys a line of rope wherever the arrow hits), but maybe that can be implemented somehow. For right now it's just the Bow's altfire and you can only hold 4 grappling arrows at a time (because lol imagine the spam).

That's all I made so far. Hax might have some ideas for even more uses for rope. Rope ladders maybe? Like the grappling hook except permanent and requiring construction (grappling hook ropes only stay for 30 seconds before falling).

Most of the rope code was borrowed (with permission) from TheShooter7, originally from his 99GunsX which I tweaked (and fixed because it didn't work online) and used in Mercenaries v1.9.
This is the most awesome thing.

I've got it integrated into the next version, thanks a ton!!!
Razgriz wrote: Hey that's neat, though maybe this should have it's own IRC channel as well so people could provide feedback n' stuff.
I'll be idling in #Survivalism on irc.zandronum.com, come on by!

haxmurderer

RE: Survivalism (DayZ / Rust Inspired) - Now with Persistent Inventory

Post by haxmurderer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:50 am

Hi guys,

I've been working on this new update for a few months now, and I'm really excited to release it. The gameplay is starting to become a bit more refined, and the new loot dropping + crafting mechanics really change the feel of the game. The new doomz2 map update is pretty big too. Lastly, I added this persistent inventory system at the last minute, but it has huge consequences - it means that the gameplay doesn't have to revolve around short sessions, but rather there can be objectives and goals that take many play sessions to reach.

One other cool possibility is that the persistent inventory can be shared (I think) between multiple servers running on the same computer. This means we could stitch together a "world" spanning multiple maps and servers! :D

Anyways, cross-posting the updates below. As always, feedback is very welcome, especially on the new loot dropping mechanic and overall gameplay balance.

Thanks!

Massive New Update: r11 (October 12th, 2014 Update):

Major New Features:
  • Persistent inventory! (Save it from the basic crafting menu!) - Uses the new database feature in Zandronum 1.3.
  • Crafting- Basic crafting menu and crafting boxes that can be used to create more stuff.
  • Loot dropping mechanic changed: Monsters drop loot now, and harder monsters
    drop better loot. Random loot still drops, but is now much more rare.
  • Completely rewritten monster spawner, no more monsters outside the map!
New and Updated Weapons:
  • Ninja rope by AEnima! Find hemp, harvest it, and then use the alt-fire on your bow.
  • Added Glock18.
  • The knife slashes faster, so it's actually useful now.
  • Box placer gun moved to slot 0
  • Polished the weapons more. Timings tweaked, shell casings, and pistols are semi-auto now.
Map Updates:
  • Major revamp to doomz2!
  • More spawns! You don't always spawn in the same spot now.
  • The doomz2 revamp fixed monsters being unshootable sometimes.
  • Very small update to doomz1, which adds a mine in the south east corner of the map.
Bugfixes:
  • Rewritten DECORATE for most monsters. Less buggy, and new AI for all monsters!
  • Fixed a bunch of tree growing bugs
  • Scientist unblocking bug - Map was too big! Must be within 9400 x 9400 map units.
  • Chickens don't lay eggs so fast >:
  • Creepers fixed, now more 'splodey. And green!
  • Fixed broken door in secret.
  • Fixed mountain music not playing locally (hopefully)
  • Fixed monsters not spawning enough in the west.
  • Fixed suicide/XDeath not dropping your stuff.
Monsters:
  • Baron of Hell is now harder.
  • Added demon dogs to forest
How to save your inventory:

To save your inventory on the current "Survivalism (DoomZ) r11 Official (Now with Inventory Saving)" server that's up:
  1. [url=zandroauthtest.oscillicious.com:8080]Register an account here[/url]
  2. Launch Zandronum and connect to the server: 162.243.47.207:10666 (or use Doomseeker)
  3. Immediately after you join the server (while still spectating), type this in the console:

Code: Select all

login [yourusername] [yourpassword]
  4. It should say, "Login Successful", and then you should be allowed to join the game.

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:33 am

Hi guys,

Big new update! Cross-posting here from the first post to bump the thread.

New r13 Trailer (Dec. 13, 2014)
phpBB [video]
New in r13 (Dec. 13th, 2014)
- Chop logs to get wood now!
- Chickens can be picked up!
- Box placer gun can place pillars, floors, and doors now
- Torches light a bigger area
- Torches work better at preventing monsters from spawning near them
- Light logs on fire for campfires!
- Fire can spread now. (logs and trees can catch on fire)
- Doors work way better now.
- Dogs spawn in packs now
- Zandronum 2.0 compatibility (loading saved games in SP fixed too!)
- New, rare vanity items
- Two new guns
- New boss! And a special weapon as a reward.
- Some crazy ACS / DECORATE to make a simple raft. :)
- Loot boxes spawn
- Ghouls are not ridiculously hard now
- Monster spawner charge
- Furnaces
- Box placer gun improved - Less glitchy collsion detection. It's much harder to place boxes inside boxes now.
- Tree growth is slower
- Doors spawn a bit lower
- Title screen map and logo!
- Respawning turnips in a few spots on DoomZ2

In this release, I've focused on adding new content and implementing a bunch of suggestions that people have had over the year. (eg. You can finally use the box placer gun to place pillars, floors, etc!) I've added a couple new weapons and a new boss, which is deep in one of the canyons.

I've also rewritten the monster spawner for the fourth time, and this time it's quite a bit more dynamic, though you may not notice it. The main difference is that it now slows down monster spawning if you're camping, so you can't just get loot by camping and farming monsters. This gives you an incentive to venture away from your base an explore, and is also less annoying when you're just trying to build your base.

I hope you guys enjoy this release, and please keep the feedback coming!
What do you think I should add next?

fr blood
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by fr blood » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:09 am

Thats the mod to try with some friends !

false_chicken

Post by false_chicken » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Looks awesome! I would love to see some food/water requirements since you are taking suggestions.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:18 pm

Whoa that looks sweet

false_chicken

Post by false_chicken » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:34 am

Is it possible to implement our own user registration system? I notice you have a page for registering and I am sure that connects to some database backend or something. I would like to run my own server but do not know how to go about registering users.

false_chicken

Post by false_chicken » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:06 am

Hmmm... Another unfortunate roadblock is my inablility to use the crafting menu while connected to my server. I can use it in single player but when I join my server I cannot move up or down in the crafting menu. Only open or close it. Odd :/.

lord of darkness the brony
New User

Post by lord of darkness the brony » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:42 am

this is awesome that's all I can say about it really gives you that need to survive atmosphere p.s this is more of a "i don't know what to do problem" if doomseeker cant find the wads how can I download the missing wads? for example if hax added a fixpk3 to the server and I launch doomseekr but it cant find it how do I still download the missing files?
Last edited by lord of darkness the brony on Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
watch this when you feel bad or down
http://youtu.be/W29uMcp5BWU

Deathtoll

Post by Deathtoll » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:10 am

You should lock the callvote changemap function down and keep Doomz1 running as the default map for people to learn from.

Also, just saying this because in the two minutes it took for me to step out for a smoke, some jerk decided to come in and changemap because 'someone tore his wall down' (the horde did most that, I was using his wall for protection the entire time. You saw what was left of it when you came in) and ruined about 4 hours of work from a couple of others.

Deathtoll

Post by Deathtoll » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:18 am

Oh, something else. The hemp plants should bud outafter say two or three days so you can get hemp seeds and either plant them to grow more or make hemp oil for fueling the chainsaw. That chainsaw is ungodly handy. One rock yields 25+ stone and several coal when you use a chainsaw, versus 7-8 stone and maybe one coal with the axe.

Deathtoll

Post by Deathtoll » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:58 pm

You should disable the "use all inventory items" as that was ust used to grief on your server. User 2JZGTE. just did it and the lag is so bad now it's unplayable for half of us.

O that same note, you should probably find a way of disabling picking up other users dropped items. Plenty of griefing happening there, too.

Riclo

Post by Riclo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:18 am

I have a few suggestions and bugs I've found for this

I noticed ammo doesn't save when I save my inventory, and logging in will always give me the same amount of ammo back. Having ammo be saveable is something that should be added imo (Not to mention it's possible to abuse the chainsaw this way because of the infinite ammo)

Another thing I've noticed is it's incredibly easy to abuse the inventory saving. For example, I can save my inventory and use all of my stone, only to disconnect and return with all of the stone I have just used back in my inventory; This can be abused for any item/weapon in the game. If possible, having the server automatically save a player's inventory upon disconnecting would be a way of fixing this (Which would render mandatory saving pretty useless) Idk how the inventory saving works in this mod though. Just found out recently that disconnecting isn't necessary-- all you have to do is spectate and re-join.

The sniper rifle using only one ammo per shot seems a bit over-powered, considering the chaingun/pistols use the same ammo but deal less damage. Giving the sniper rifle it's own ammo source or having it use more ammo per shot would probably be a good idea (And maybe lowering it's fire rate a little) I'd think making the weapons reloadable would be a good idea also.

Sentry guns will fire at the trees that are grown from the green seeds. Chickens will also attack these trees

Trying to pick up eggs can be difficult because it's not possible to pick them up while standing on chickens-- increasing the egg's size should fix this

One more thing-- I'd think having the knife be able to harvest turnips instead of the axe would be a better idea. The chainsaw also seems to be able to harvest turnips which is a bit ridiculous tbh

Deathtoll

Post by Deathtoll » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:59 pm

We need a quick-start guide for players. So many coming in that do not know what to do, I think it would be handy to have one in this thread to point newbies towards when they login.

Also, while the chainsaw is definitely abused, gas drops are few and far between. Also, since the chainsaw does not respawn, the inventory trick is at least good for keeping players equipped and interested.

Deathtoll

Post by Deathtoll » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:29 am

Inventory system doesn't save everything always. Was doing the little inventory abuse trick, the system didn't save my chainsaw, saved everything else, though. Also, some times will not save torches.

When you die, you lose like 2/3 of your wood in inventory. All the stone remains.

Deathtoll

Post by Deathtoll » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:38 pm

I don't remember which WAD mod it was, but there was one that would find unused actors (eg dead monsters) and remove them from the map count and map, freeing up resources. That might be a useful thing to find the code for and implement in your mod. Also, I'm curious about the poly count on the stuff like boxes, floors, stuff that requires models. I'm wondering if reducing the poly count would greatly improve performance. Given the simple nature of these models plus OpenGL's ability to do more-than-three sided polygons (though I think that's in a newer revision of the OGL spec so that might be on the Zandronum people to implement) we could improve performance by reducing the amount of rendered polygons. Just a thought, though, I'm better with 2D stuff than 3D.

Deathtoll

Post by Deathtoll » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:13 pm

Sorry, duke. Tell me which GPU you're using in your system, and are you using the Windows-provided drivers or the card manufacturer provided drivers or the default GPU-maker's drivers.