ZSWarrior Released!

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Valherran
Forum Regular

RE: ZSWarrior

Post by Valherran » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:34 pm

Updated previous post.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:44 pm

I checked the list. Seems nice, however I don't plan to add hornets or the accursed heads (at least as seperate monsters) since one is more of a nuisance and the other is a stationary monster. I also don't plan on adding Zilla due to uh, you know, story reasons. I actually was thinking of saving him for after finishing the replacer. Your list also seems to be missing the giant versions of the ripper and the baby ripper. Thanks for input though, at least most of them are similar to what I have in the beta.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:49 pm

Make the anime girls replace Commander Keens!
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:00 am

Ænima wrote: Make the anime girls replace Commander Keens!
Do you know any map packs that use them besides Doom2's? I can do it, but I'd rather do it if it's going to be seen without cheating :p

Also, if anyone wants to apply for beta testing they can do so, I finally got a crash-free version ready!
Last edited by Ivan on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:46 am

Ivan wrote: I checked the list. Seems nice, however I don't plan to add hornets or the accursed heads (at least as seperate monsters) since one is more of a nuisance and the other is a stationary monster. I also don't plan on adding Zilla due to uh, you know, story reasons. I actually was thinking of saving him for after finishing the replacer. Your list also seems to be missing the giant versions of the ripper and the baby ripper. Thanks for input though, at least most of them are similar to what I have in the beta.
The giant versions AFAIK, were just the same monsters but with greater stats, and everything that was a demonoid had a giant version. I am unsure as to what these wizards are that you mentioned in your list, were they the slightly recolored versions of the Guardians?

Sign me up for BETA please! ^^
Last edited by Valherran on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:11 am

Ivan wrote:
Ænima wrote: Make the anime girls replace Commander Keens!
Do you know any map packs that use them besides Doom2's? I can do it, but I'd rather do it if it's going to be seen without cheating :p
You're right, not many map packs use them (although they DO exist ... I recall playing a megawad recently that used them in a non-retarded and hidden way).

The only reason I suggested it is because, like the Keens, the anime girls were easter eggs. I can't think of any other appropriate placement for them in a replacer mod. They also behave exactly the same as Keens (stationary, shootable monsters), except for the fact that they shoot back sometimes.

Plus, why not? I mean it seems like an easy implementation (just inherit from CommanderKeen and add his death special) and it would get a laugh out of everyone who actually played the original SW.

But at the end of the day, it's your project and I respect your decision either way. :toot:
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:03 am

OK, just tried your beta, I now remember the wizards, they were annoying... Here are some things I saw:

1. Walking into monsters, and getting hit by certain attacks causes the player to randomly get tele-fragged.

2. Uzi needs a total ammo counter.

3. Night Vision does not work properly, it just turns on and off right away after use and disappears.

4. Shurikens will disappear when walking toward them at a distance of 10 ft if they are thrown from a great distance.

Some things this could use (unless you are going for a complete port over, then NM)

1. Railgun needs a scope, always has, always will.

2. Shurikens could use an alt fire that just throws a burst of 3 that do not lob, but nearly hit-scan, deals less damage.

3. Ripper Heart could use an AoE explosion alt-fire that deals heavy damage around the player.

4. Sword could really use a cleave attack alt-fire, does a fast blade strike that hit everything within the weapon's LoS range. It will only do the damage of 1 normal blade hit, but hits everything within the target cone range. Will have a short cooldown between swings.

5. When you get the fists in the game, I hope it gets a block feature, while holding down the alt-fire it can give defense against melee attacks, making you take only 5-10% of the damage. Or if yer good, you can program it to completely block melee weapon attacks, and only take reduced damage from Ripper enemies. And when you use a smoke bomb, you can maybe give it a ranged attack of like energy palm/fist strikes or something? That would be damn cool.

6. There needs to be more fortune cookie type items to replace the spheres and such while still giving the amount that was intended for the levels. They currently only give +50 HP that can go above maximum up to 200 (just like the Atomic Health from DN3D). If you can make the normal give +100 like the Soul Sphere does, and make a new enchanted floating fortune cookie with a white aura around it or something that acts as a Mega Sphere that gives 200 HP and Armor. That would be good and make it more survivable in most levels.

That's all for now. I remember there being Poison Darts and Oni Warriors in the beta of Shadow Warrior before it's release. Will those make it in here too?
Last edited by Valherran on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

DevilHunter
Zandronum Tester

Post by DevilHunter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:10 am

I wouldn't mind testing the Beta. I love oldschool games heh. Thing is, I ALWAYS see the quadshotgun used in most doom mods :/

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Valherran wrote: OK, just tried your beta, I now remember the wizards, they were annoying... Here are some things I saw:
I'd like it if you had PM'd these to me, as it's not an open beta test yet...

Now your points:
1. Walking into monsters, and getting hit by certain attacks causes the player to randomly get tele-fragged.
From what I have seen/heard, this only happens in SP and not MP. I suggest you try and play in a local server created from IDE or Doomseeker for a better experience.
2. Uzi needs a total ammo counter.
I thought that you'd not want to see it on the fullscreen hud, but only on the standard hud. It does have it on the standard hud at the center with all the ammo counts of other weapons.
3. Ripper Heart could use an AoE explosion alt-fire that deals heavy damage around the player.
I think it'd be kind of useless seeing Guardian Head mode 2 provides just that, and actually more for what it costs.
4. Sword could really use a cleave attack alt-fire, does a fast blade strike that hit everything within the weapon's LoS range. It will only do the damage of 1 normal blade hit, but hits everything within the target cone range. Will have a short cooldown between swings.
This is actually a neat idea. I'll see what I can do about this one.
5. When you get the fists in the game, I hope it gets a block feature, while holding down the alt-fire it can give defense against melee attacks, making you take only 5-10% of the damage. Or if yer good, you can program it to completely block melee weapon attacks, and only take reduced damage from Ripper enemies. And when you use a smoke bomb, you can maybe give it a ranged attack of like energy palm/fist strikes or something? That would be damn cool.
I always felt the fists were outclassed by the katana, simply because katana was faster to kill many enemies and fists were only good with smoke bomb. Right now, katana and fist properties are merged, if you have smoke bombed, your katana will deal x2 more damage. (Just like fists in the actual game)

6. There needs to be more fortune cookie type items to replace the spheres and such while still giving the amount that was intended for the levels. They currently only give +50 HP that can go above maximum up to 200 (just like the Atomic Health from DN3D). If you can make the normal give +100 like the Soul Sphere does, and make a new enchanted floating fortune cookie with a white aura around it or something that acts as a Mega Sphere that gives 200 HP and Armor. That would be good and make it more survivable in most levels.
I thought this would come up. I need a new sprite for it though, or something else. I'll see what I can do about this as I'm pretty sure it's going to become problematic at some point.
1. Railgun needs a scope, always has, always will.
There aren't any in-game graphics that I could use for it. I always felt that way too but, oh well.
I remember there being Poison Darts and Oni Warriors in the beta of Shadow Warrior before it's release. Will those make it in here too?
For the night vision, if you used cheats to get it then it will give you only 1 and do what you described. Try to use "summon infrared" and then pick it up.

Poison Darts were just parental lock replacements of the shurikens and there's really nothing special going for them. Oni Warriors have some weird animations, probably unfinished in some angles. I'd probably not include them, but who knows.

Thanks for feedback!
Last edited by Ivan on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Updated the OP with download link and extra information for the Release Candidate 1. Enjoy!

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:33 am

Is there a change log for that RC?

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Unfortunately I forgot to write it down, but basically it's more damage on caltrops, Dark Ninjas using their flashbang more, medikits becoming portable medikit if you have 80+ hp and Railgun scope fix.
Last edited by Ivan on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Are the medpacks supposed to be giving +40 HP on pickup before/after medkit is full? It still says 20 on the text, which is why I ask.

Another thing that has been bugging me is the large hit box on the missile launcher. It seems bigger than usual, and it is nearly impossible to launch the missiles into openings where the Doom rocket launcher should be able to pass through.

Also noticed a global damage reduction on all monsters, intentional?

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Valherran wrote: Are the medpacks supposed to be giving +40 HP on pickup before/after medkit is full? It still says 20 on the text, which is why I ask.

Another thing that has been bugging me is the large hit box on the missile launcher. It seems bigger than usual, and it is nearly impossible to launch the missiles into openings where the Doom rocket launcher should be able to pass through.

1) Oops, oversight. They heal you for full hp instead of 20 d:

2) Try sticky bombs, they are thinner.

3) Yes.

If nobody has any other bugs found with RC1 then I'll upload RC2 that fixes the mentioned bugs.
Last edited by Ivan on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Virtue

Post by Virtue » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:19 pm

thought of maybe adding this in to Samsara?

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:07 am

Ivan wrote:
Valherran wrote: Are the medpacks supposed to be giving +40 HP on pickup before/after medkit is full? It still says 20 on the text, which is why I ask.

1) Oops, oversight. They heal you for full hp instead of 20 d:

2) Try sticky bombs, they are thinner.

3) Yes.

If nobody has any other bugs found with RC1 then I'll upload RC2 that fixes the mentioned bugs.
Other than the medkits needing fixing, could you speed up the ROF on the shuriken alt-fire by at least 50%? It would make it much more effective at long range.

Dark-Assassin
Maintenence Crew

Post by Dark-Assassin » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:07 am

Ivan wrote:* Specials like those of MAP07 of Doom2 will not work, I can't fix it. (A Zandronum bug most likely)
All monsters replacing BaronOfHell, Mancubus, Arachnotron, SpiderMastermind and CyberDemon need to have A_BossDeath in their Death/XDeath states. This triggers these Specials.

Edit: NVM.
Though, Perhaps add the A_BossDeath at the very end of the death state?
On maps like E2,3,4M8 the map likes to end instantly.
Last edited by Dark-Assassin on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:35 pm

-=Dark-Assassin=- wrote:
Ivan wrote:* Specials like those of MAP07 of Doom2 will not work, I can't fix it. (A Zandronum bug most likely)
All monsters replacing BaronOfHell, Mancubus, Arachnotron, SpiderMastermind and CyberDemon need to have A_BossDeath in their Death/XDeath states. This triggers these Specials.

Edit: NVM.
Though, Perhaps add the A_BossDeath at the very end of the death state?
On maps like E2,3,4M8 the map likes to end instantly.
I've done that, it should already be like that in their decorate. I even posted a bug report on bugtracker but it got locked instantly without checking the rest of the information. (Yeah Dusk, re-open it already) Mind you this actually did work on Zdoom and Gzdoom so this has got to be a Zandronum bug.

Dark-Assassin
Maintenence Crew

Post by Dark-Assassin » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:36 pm

It seems that is hard coded in to their engines for anything that replaces them monsters to call A_BossDeath.
I guess, wait for 2.0?

Anyway, this is fairly good.
Though, not sure if this was already mentioned, there are some clipping problems with the Big Sumo (SumoBig). It's because the sprite is larger than the Cyberdemon's one so it will clip through the ceiling. Easily seen on MAP32.
Any chance of down scaling it by a little?
Last edited by Dark-Assassin on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:41 pm

-=Dark-Assassin=- wrote: It seems that is hard coded in to their engines for anything that replaces them monsters to call A_BossDeath.
I guess, wait for 2.0?
Not necessarily, since I know some map packs don't make use of that special at all. Besides, it can just be removed from rotation anyway, since those that do are usually really small arena type maps.

EDIT: I did down scale it before, meh, I guess I have to do it more haha.
Last edited by Ivan on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.