Project Ideas

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Submerge

RE: Project Ideas

Post by Submerge » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:15 am

MrSetharoo wrote: Has any one thought about making a Metal Slug mod?
I just think a first person Metal Slug mod would be great especially if you can program it to where it yells out what you pick up like it does in the games. I think it'd also be cool if you could make skins for the characters like Marco and Tarma, as well as Fio and Eri.

It just kinda came to me after playing MM8BDM.
Action Doom is the closest you'll get.

MrSetharoo
Forum Regular

Post by MrSetharoo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:34 pm

Submerge wrote:
I just think a first person Metal Slug mod would be great especially if you can program it to where it yells out what you pick up like it does in the games. I think it'd also be cool if you could make skins for the characters like Marco and Tarma, as well as Fio and Eri.

As I know there are mods like my idea, I was thinking of something that could eventually become a standalone much like MM8BDM did but surrounding the Metal Slug universe.

Personally, the main reason I would like to see it made is just to hear the announcer yell "ROCKET LAWNCHAIR!" (for people who don't get the reference when ever you pick up a weapon in Metal Slug it has a voice over for each pick up and because voice didn't have high quality in arcade machines at the time. It would sound like he said lawnchair instead of launcher)

Speaking of Action Doom where could I find that?

ArcheKruz

Post by ArcheKruz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:49 am

I'd like to see a standard female marine skin with Crash [Q3] sounds out of the box for a future Zandronum update.

As for mods, I'd like to see one where the focus is on melee/magic combat, and instead of weapon slots, they are action skill hotkeys with cooldowns.
Last edited by ArcheKruz on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaeler
New User

Post by Kaeler » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Warhammer 40k wad (Spehss Mahreens vs Alpha Legion), make it so.

Oh, and thanks for working hard for the God Emperor, Brothers.
Last edited by Kaeler on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:22 pm

(inb4instantlyshotdown)

but i had an idea and im looking for people to join my team so far i have Fiend and Gosimer on account of im part of the extremesurvival dev team.

but anyways onto the idea: DBZone Rebirth (aka DBZone HD remake)

DBZR is an idea I've wanted to start on but couldn't because I am 1. a horrid mapper and scripter 2. most people seem to hate dbzone.

the idea is to take the original maps of DBZone and get rid of all the sonic stuff IE Tails texture pics on the walls and in secret areas and also remake the maps by today's standards which means with puzzle solving and other things each map should take 45 mins - 1 hour to complete on your own and half that with a team working together
Last edited by Monsoon on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:38 pm

Monsoon wrote: (inb4instantlyshotdown)

but i had an idea and im looking for people to join my team so far i have Fiend and Gosimer on account of im part of the extremesurvival dev team.

but anyways onto the idea: DBZone Rebirth (aka DBZone HD remake)

DBZR is an idea I've wanted to start on but couldn't because I am 1. a horrid mapper and scripter 2. most people seem to hate dbzone.

the idea is to take the original maps of DBZone and get rid of all the sonic stuff IE Tails texture pics on the walls and in secret areas and also remake the maps by today's standards which means with puzzle solving and other things each map should take 45 mins - 1 hour to complete on your own and half that with a team working together
That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I mean if you think about it, the only reason DBZone got the amount of hate that it did was because of
1) all the ripped, out-of-place stuff
2) all of the 11-year-old weaboofags who used to play it 24/7
3) the 15 or so "additional" wads that it was often hosted with, which were also unbalanced heaps of ripped and out-of-place resources like furry skins and cowboy revolvers

Therefore, just remaking the maps in the style of the originals would be okay, as long as you fix some of the common complaints of the originals (ie getting lost often, scripts breaking, that one frustrating platforming part where you have to run really fast on ice without falling, etc).

I'd also suggest using the name "Doom Barracks Reborn" or something along those lines. Don't include the phrase "DBZone" anywhere in the title or filename.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:54 am

yes but im trying to find people who can help me move this alonjg while i get my mapping muscles flexed again i mean you saw my stronghold of the damned map and you said besides the lack of ceiling height variety it was a good map and that was me after my first 3 months usiong db2 now im using gzdb

Lord_of_D:
Posts a lot

Post by Lord_of_D: » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:09 am

DOomTA?, yeah, DOTA but in first person D:, maybe with a gameplay alike skyrim

or well, if not DOTA then a Doom Musou :D(gameplay based on Koei Musou/Warriors saga)
Last edited by Lord_of_D: on Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqua Kitty
Forum Regular
Location: Dreamland. There's a rebellion going on there and it isn't pretty.
Clan: Organization XIII

Post by Aqua Kitty » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:34 am

I'm wondering who's up for doing a remake of Super Smash Bros. in Zandronum. There are several platformer projects going for Zdoom and Zandronum, and I partially played Pogostick with Samsara in Zandronum. As far as the roster goes, I'm thinking of having the original cast of SSB64, parts of Melee and Brawl rosters, some other Nintendo (and maybe Sonic) characters, and Old-school FPS characters like Doomguy and Duke. Modders can add their own characters and stages at leisure, and there is the possibility of 4 player online AND local play; remember Smash Bros only takes up one screen for all players so local multiplayer is definitely a possibility with custom bindings for each player.
DooMMakU - Bullet Hell Doom
<BlakJacket> Reisen: so basically you're Uwe Boll
"The smart kids know there isn't really a line between fact and fantasy" -Ranger
Spoiler: Names I may go by ingame (Open)
Aqua Kitty
Reisen Udongein Inaba
James Frost
Cirno
Cirnobog
Cyclo-F
ARX/NG 891

Net status: Finally have a better internet plan - alive and kicking!

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Aqua Kitty wrote: I'm wondering who's up for doing a remake of Super Smash Bros. in Zandronum. There are several platformer projects going for Zdoom and Zandronum, and I partially played Pogostick with Samsara in Zandronum. As far as the roster goes, I'm thinking of having the original cast of SSB64, parts of Melee and Brawl rosters, some other Nintendo (and maybe Sonic) characters, and Old-school FPS characters like Doomguy and Duke. Modders can add their own characters and stages at leisure, and there is the possibility of 4 player online AND local play; remember Smash Bros only takes up one screen for all players so local multiplayer is definitely a possibility with custom bindings for each player.
This could definitely work, the movement system already feels nearly right for ssb. multiple players in a platformer type view has allready been achieved in a number of doom wads.

BobboTheClown
New User

Post by BobboTheClown » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:58 pm

Idea I had for a neat 3d effect on the wall.

not high quality. but has potential.

just stacking wall textures with transparent parts

probably already been though of by someone.

http://imageshack.us/a/img39/6788/scree ... 211201.png

now i wish that zandronum had voxels.
Last edited by BobboTheClown on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ibm5155
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by ibm5155 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:49 pm

MrSetharoo wrote:
Submerge wrote:

Speaking of Action Doom where could I find that?
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
http://action.mancubus.net/actiondoom/

and about that effect i had that idea a long time, but i really didn´t tested it, but i think it would be better learn to do 3d models (im doing that .-.)

okay here goes my idea, A strategy duel game (like starcraft) that could be player online *--* (yes it´s pocible, with a nice decorate/acs use like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 0msGFllhxg)

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:09 pm

BobboTheClown wrote: Idea I had for a neat 3d effect on the wall.

WOW. Good idea! I can't believe I didn't think of it.

How many "layers" are there?

ZandroSkins

BobboTheClown
New User

Post by BobboTheClown » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:37 am

Ænima wrote:
BobboTheClown wrote: Idea I had for a neat 3d effect on the wall.

WOW. Good idea! I can't believe I didn't think of it.

How many "layers" are there?
there are 5 layers layers on the wall in the picture. but there could be more. if you added more.
Last edited by BobboTheClown on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:47 am

Cool. Send me the wad and I'll see what I can do!

You can even animate those textures with ANIMDEFS it to make the skull "laugh" or something. Or you can make the whole skull move by simply assigning those textures a scrolling action in Doom Builder.

Or you could make it a monster that's "embedded" in the wall. Perhaps make it shoot fireballs from its mouth via an ACS script.

Iunno i'm just brainstorming. Like I said, PM me the wad and I'll see what I can come up with. :p

ZandroSkins

BobboTheClown
New User

Post by BobboTheClown » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:51 am

Ænima wrote: Cool. Send me the wad and I'll see what I can do!

You can even animate those textures with ANIMDEFS it to make the skull "laugh" or something. Or you can make the whole skull move by simply assigning those textures a scrolling action in Doom Builder.

Or you could make it a monster that's "embedded" in the wall. Perhaps make it shoot fireballs from its mouth via an ACS script.

Iunno i'm just brainstorming. Like I said, PM me the wad and I'll see what I can come up with. :p
http://www.mediafire.com/?j1ed6y1mt2drhmu

textures are skull1 skull2 skull3 skull4 skull5.

skull1 is the grey wall.

the map in the picture is gone. but the textures are still there.

original texture i made for this project: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?gjut6dnnuvx1ecv
Last edited by BobboTheClown on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:22 am

Cool, thanks!

I was actually also considering taking some texture bumpmaps and breaking them down into layers via Photoshop.

EDIT:
It's actually a very convincing effect. It only looks weird if you look at it from too sharp or too steep of an angle (which can be almost entirely prevented via some common sense on the mapper's part).

I also think it can be made even more convincing by adding some fog to the map or making the lighting gradient between texture layers.

I'll definitely be doing some more fiddling with this. Thanks for the inspiration, Bobbo mah boy. :]
Last edited by Ænima on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZandroSkins

BobboTheClown
New User

Post by BobboTheClown » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:10 am

you're welcome. anything i can do to help.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:57 am

I played around a little bit and made my own "layered" texture (using SK_SNAKE as a base). I separated it into 3 layers based on color brightness (which results in fake depth).

ZandroSkins

Synert
Forum Regular

Post by Synert » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:40 am

That's pretty damn cool. Might have to give it a try myself if I ever map again.