If you want to modify samsarahold yourself, feel free to do so, and then feel free to upload it to BestEver.
TehRealSalt wrote:Just go and make KaizoHold already bruiser
It's not my fault if everything i say makes perfect sense, another thing is when people won't listen.
I won't take offense - in some ways, having people do addons for your addons is a sign of respect.
I mean, the point is that some developers are inevitably going to be illogical - in fact, I think almost EVERY developer has some
moments of "whoops I didn't think this through". But the point is, if you ever encounter a developer who truly isn't going to do the thing you want them to do, the best thing you can do is start doing it yourself.
This is how SamsaraHold started, for crying out loud! (Which, no offense to TerminusEst13, he is a *wonderful* modder of whom I quite like, but Stronghold compatibility for Samsara was not something he was interested in, with good reason, it turns out to be nigh-impossible, developmentally. Hence why I needed a separate version of samsara entirely to make the damn thing work.)
If you feel like proving your points, this is how to do it:
At the moment, BE servers are started and managed through IRC. We plan to add a web interface in the future, but for now you'll need to use the old IRC commands. The full guide with all options can be viewed here
, a quick guide is provided below.
1. Get an IRC client, connect to Zandronum's IRC server: irc.zandronum.com:6667, and join the #bestever channel. If you're unsure on how to connect, or which client to use, you can take a look at Zandronum's IRC guide here
2. Type /msg nickserv register <password> <email>
3. Check your email, and follow the instructions to finish registering with Zandronum IRC.
4. After you have validated your account, register with BE by typing /msg BestBot register <password>
5. Type .host iwad="doom2.wad" gamemode="duel" wad="dwango5.wad" hostname="My first server" in the #bestever channel to start your server
6. This will start a duel server named "My first server" with the wad dwango5.wad. Please see this guide for all hosting options.
* Please note that you'll need to re-identify each time you connect to IRC. You need to type /msg nickserv identify <username> <password> (using your Zandronum IRC account information) each time you connect.
Just open up the files, make your edits, and then follow those directions, then upload the modified files to BestEver - it seriously could not be easier.
If you want something done your way, do it yourself. Most people would probably not of argued as long with you as I did - I have a sense of patience that extends beyond most people's, it turns out.
If you can EMPIRICALLY
prove that you are entirely in the right, then do so
. I'll take back almost all of my comments if you can.
And I don't mean by yourself.
And I don't even mean myself. I might never be entirely satisfied with the changes, but I'm not going to recoil if YOU can (again, empirically) prove your own point.
So, what should you do?
Host it. As I said, it couldn't be any easier. Hell, I'll probably even join if I see it getting enough players.
But I'm done trying to extract useful theory from you, because, again, it's not getting anywhere fast, and I don't want to see this thread get split twice.
Hell, I'll even help you through the #BestEver registry process if you need me to, though the instructions are *very* clear, personally.