SamsaraHold Resurrection + Enhancer

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Untitled
Forum Regular

RE: SamsaraHold - 0.1b - The New Era

Post by Untitled » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:05 pm

You're loading them in the wrong order. Order should be:
strnghld_v1.pk3
strnghld_violence_v4.pk3
strongholdeditsnfixesv1.1patchv4.1.pk3
strongholditemsv7.1.pk3
samsarahold-v0.1b-core.pk3
samsarahold-v0.1b-code.pk3
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:52 am

Use Doomseeker to launch your game, so you can specify the order in which the wads load. Add +multiplayer in the last tab to respawn like you're playing on a coop server.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:55 pm

How do you load stuff in a specific order? Is it as simple as the order I r-click on stuff?
As for Doomseeker, I can't play MP out here (which, if I understand correctly means I can't run Doomseeker without being connected). As it is, I can barely come online. I just want to get this stuff running so I can try to play it next year. Or will Doomseeker run even without an Internet connection?
Last edited by Phoenix7786 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dusk
Developer

Post by Dusk » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:04 pm

Doomseeker will run without an Internet connection but then you obviously will not get a server list. You can still start an offline game with it, though. Use the "Create Server" button, fill in the stuff and use "Play offline" button instead of "Start server" and you will get an offline game.

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:57 am

Ok. I have no clue how to run Doomseeker but I see a wiki entry for it. This is all very new stuff for me (IRC included) but I'll have to do what I can to manage. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Ok I've kinda cobbled together a basic understanding. By CTRL clicking the specific .pk's, it still loads in an incorrect order. However, by using Doomseeker (as suggested) I can arrange the .pk file order just fine.

The only hiccup I run into Samsarahold is it consistently tries to start the game on level 1 of Doom2. Hitting New Game starts Samsarahold just fine. Maybe I need to test launching it under survival or invasion mode and seeing what works. Loads of fun. I can't wait to get back home and try this for real.

EDIT 2:

Hey there lately I've ran into a weird bug 3 different times. I played as Parias (as well as B.J.) and on the level 4 asteroid belt (level 3 for B.J.). Right after I got the "chaingun" archetype, a single catharsis (sp) went invulnerable. Every singe attack passed through harmlessly. I thought maybe they were immune to certain damage types, but oddly enough the others died just fine.

At a loss, I said what the Hell and played a new map. This time level 03. Now, it was one of the Zombie rockets who went invincible. Same thing as before: my attacks all pass harmlessly, and only for this single one. The particular wave is where the hint crops up that they are reasonably dumb and I could get them to kill each other.

What's going on? Did something go bork?
Last edited by Phoenix7786 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:53 am

I am deeply sorry for double-posting, but this bug is really killing me here. Has anyone ever encountered it before? I can try as other characters, since BJ's sniping and Chexster's tanking also both appeal to me, and see if they have the same issue.

Oh, playing in SP hurt-me-plenty archetype difficulty, btw. I want to get a feel for the different classes and my own preference before taking this on-line (whenever that ends up being). Plus, nobody likes a dead-weight newb who gets eviscerated.
Last edited by Phoenix7786 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:39 pm

Annoyingly, I've never seen either bug before. I'll have to investigate it later then. I can't replicate it.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

Projects:

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:40 pm

Ok maybe I can try recording a save-file of my Parias or something. Let me dick around with the demo thingy on Doomseeker. Hopefully it lets me replicate the effect or something.

Hmm apparently Doomseeker's demo recording doesn't work for offline servers? According to the wiki it's as simple as turning on the red record button, playing as normal, then saving the work from the demo manager once done. However, there's nothing there when I click save. Even my Doomseeker from my AppData is blank. Do I HAVE to be online to a server to record a demo?
Given the 1.1GHz processor on this toaster I play on, I think Fraps is out of the question too.

Alright. I cleared Mars then I got to level 03, wave 7 as BJ. A Catharsis became invulnerable to me. Oddly enough, it walked right past the deadline without ending the game. However, with no way to damage it, the wave was un-winnable. UPDATE: Started B.J. over. Did my training, then went straight into Level 4. At the 9th wave this time, it spawned a very close pair of Catharsi that were invulnerable, didn't end my game, and didn't count towards my total. I tried to tough those last 2 waves out, but with them on either side of me taking pot-shot after pot-shot it was hopeless. Again, re-loading previous saves from this "set" did not fix the problem. However, at least we know it's consistently this level now.

And the specifics on my Parias file: Cleared Mars after training. Went to Level 03, got to wave 6. Zombie rocket became invulnerable.

Chexster test: Ok apparently glitches don't fuck with the Chexster. I cleared Mars and then level 03 AND level 04with no hiccups. Guess the fear of being Zorched is enough to cow them into obedience.

Re-trying Parias: Did training. Skipped Mars and went straight to the swamp (I believe that's what level 3 is called). Cleared with no hiccups. For now, I'm keeping 10 separate files (1 for each wave).

Parias UPDATE: Cleared Mars with no issues. Went into stage 4, wave 4. 2 Catharsi spawned that were both invulnerable. BUT not only did they not count towards the wave total, they also didn't trigger the end when they crossed the deadline. Still though, with 2 invincible Catharsi hugging the deadline and taking pot-shots at me, I couldn't make it past all the subsequent waves. Re-loading the previous wave, and even earlier waves from the "set" did not fix the problem.

Corvus attempt: Did training. Bee-lined right for level 4. Got to wave 4 or 5 then the same fucking glitch occurred. At least we can probably narrow it to something on this map. And so far, the list of peeps it's glitched on me include Corvus, B.J., Parias, but NOT Chexster. Will attempt Doomguy and Duke I guess.

D'you want me to try your beta patch and see if that fixes the issue?
Last edited by Phoenix7786 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:03 pm

Weird, I can't replicate this at all.

If you wanna pop in the server, feel free to do so. Being a beginner isn't likely to screw everything up that badly (there's one or two missions where this does apply, but they're the late game missions).

Character Dynamics as of 0.1b:
Doomguy: He's pretty reliable. Wide selection of weapons, high damage. BFG+Repeater is a two-for-one Slot VII deal now, and it's pretty good: The BFG is for quickly killing large things, and the repeater is the more conventional weapon.
Chexter: He's also pretty reliable. SLZ is great at long ranges, and 20% less damage is actually kind of amazing. The LAZ device is pretty good too.
Corvus: His weapons aren't as powerful as say, Doomguy, but he makes it up with carrying all of his items (meaning he can use them more efficiently, for things like quad damages and time freezes), plus his weapons are very efficient - You're not likely to get called out for hogging ammo (except rocket ammo). Tome isn't the greatest ultimate, but it works.
BJ: With his high-damage perfect-accuracy Chaingun and Ripper rockets, it's really surprising that more people don't play him. Both of these weapons are crazy good. His Slot VII, the spear of destiny, is completely ridiculous in small areas, otherwise it's decent, but not amazing. BJ is probably overpowered.
Parias: Heh, Parias is actually kinda overpowered. He used to be the worst hero (because of range issues) but then I realized that was horrible and buffed him. Every weapon he has was buffed. Axe is ridiculously strong, Serpent Staff got a nice power boost, Hammer is now at rocket power, Firestorm has a longer range (though not much longer), and Wraithverge works against bosses. The 0.25 RadiusDamageFactor is also really amazing later on. Of course, not many people play him, so it's not much of an issue.
Duke: Everyone plays duke for some reason. His taking 10% extra damage is quite nasty (10% adds up very fast), and he has ammo problems - he needs ammo 3 to function. But, his weapons are quite good - the chaingun is decent, the RPG is practical and works against bosses, the explosive shotgun wrecks crowds, and the devastator, while lacking in sheer power (compared to, say, the BFG), is very practical - A "Super Plasma Gun", if you can think about it that way.
Security Officer: Heh, he's also overpowered, but no one plays him. His dual WSTE-M5 combat shotguns are the best slot II in the game, the KKV is very practical (though it burns through ammo fast), The MA-75B is decent for a chaingun, the SPNKR is probably the best rocket launcher in the game (seriously, it just wrecks crowds), The TOZ-T, although it burns through ammo, kills fast, and the WMC, although it's slow to charge, is crazy powerful, and crazy efficient.
Ranger: Ranger is funny. He feels overpowered, but he really isn't. Much like duke, he relies on rocket ammo. However, ranger gets much more rocket ammo than everyone else per rocket pickup (a 6-rocket box gives him 8 rockets and 2 cluster rockets), and his rockets are a bit weaker. The DoE ammo is nice to pull out once in a while, but in the end, it's not that broken, so it's never a power tool to use at all times. The Quad Damage, as powerful as it is, is pretty weak - you can only have it active for 30 second stretches, and not being able to keep the DPS up will hurt you late game.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:10 pm

So far, sniping shit as B.J. with hit-scanning guns is awesome. On the flipside, the amount of abuse Parias and Chex-guy can withstand is amazing, especially using rocket-launchers at melee range.

Let me see how to connect to your server and update my PK files. I won't be able to stay and play, due to how expensive (and unreliable) Africa's (or at least Nigeria's) network is.

Ugh what a FUCKING newb I am. I forgot to set the client executable path. Luckily I stumbled across the blue pill Zandronum thread. Ok I joined your server just to update my pk's. Let me start my files over, since they're like an hour of work at most and I want to get a clean start.

Ok re-started B.J. Did training, bought red armor, and went right to level 4. About wave 6 or 7, I had a single Catharsi go invincible and not count as part of the wave. This time though, it crashed the game when it crossed the deadline. Zandronum gave me this error:

Code: C0000005 (Access Violation - tried to read address 00000006)
Address: 004C63F5

Re-loading from B.J.'s "set", it still gave me invincible Catharsi, this time my usual pair. However, these 2 didn't crash the game; just ended giving me a regular game-over. Could there be some flag or trigger related to re-loading a save file?

Parias: Training-->Level 4--> Wave 9 invincible Catharsi. Didn't crash game or give game-over.

Chexster: Apparently glitches STILL don't fuck with the IFOC. So far, he's been my go-to guy (go-to Chex-man?) when I want the game to work. Question: If I delete all the PK content and re-download it using, say, your server, would that screw with my Chexster save-file? Or would the save file still work? I'm wondering if maybe I should just do a clean re-download and re-start and see if that fixes it?
Last edited by Phoenix7786 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HexaDoken
Forum Regular

Post by HexaDoken » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:37 am

You shouldn't be afraid of playing on servers - even if you fail, this isn't dota 2 or something where doing something wrong will get everyone to yell at you.

Most likely, redownloading the wad will not make your save file incompatible. Just in case, however, I recommend keeping a backup of your current version. But that's a big "just in case".

I wonder if it's possible to kill the invincible monsters using the "kill monsters" cheat. This should theoretically wipe out the entire monster population at once. If it doesn't, then your invincible monsters are not counted as monsters to begin with. Which is weird. Very.

You should probably report this to Zandronum developers. If the thing crashes, it's definitely a bug, mods or not.

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:04 pm

Oh it's not that I'm afraid of servers or online play. I want to have a basic understanding of how the game works and how the class dynamics work. The big reason I can't play servers is due to how Internet is handled here in Nigeria. Compared to, say, the U.S., it's very expensive and somewhat unreliable. Plus the speed isn't that great. Basically, 5 Gigs 's of Internet is about 8,000 Naira monthly, or about 50 U.S.D. If I want an unlimited Internet plan, it's something like 35,000 Naira, or ~219. U.S.D. monthly. Before I left, I was paying like $12/mo. for unlimited Internet at DSL speed. If I JUST played this one thing, I could get by on that plan. However, I use my Internet for a lot more.

How do you kill the monsters with that code? Do you mean the method where I have to hit ~ to bring the console up and type something in? Since it's based on Doom2's WAD, do I use the Doom2 codes? I'm sure I can find then online somewhere.

Ok let me report that bug into the Zandronum forum sub-section. If worst comes to worst, I'll try re-downloading the PK's from scratch. Maybe some weird little part corrupted or something. What's odd is (aside from one instance) it's consistently been level 04 of tier 1.
Last edited by Phoenix7786 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HexaDoken
Forum Regular

Post by HexaDoken » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Just bring down the console and type "kill monsters" without quotes in it, yea.

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:21 pm

Thanks, Chummer!
Ok let me try this with my old B.J. file. I can try to time the command in-between waves when just the invincible monsters are there. I'll report my findings momentarily.

EDIT: Ok. My B.J. file worked fine until I reloaded. Once I did, my usual glitch cropped up. Even more disturbing, kill monsters code didn't even faze them. So, yes, they aren't even properly flagging as enemies; don't (except for ONE instance) end the game if they cross the dead-line; and seem to crop up more if I re-load my game. Oddly though, they've still done it even if I haven't and never on my Chex file (which I've reloaded many times).

I just had a sudden epiphany: what if this is a stronghold bug and not a Samsarahold bug at all? Let me try a vanilla stronghold. Ok I did everything in my power to encourage the bug, but vanilla consistently worked just fine. Ah well at least every step we're taking here is one closer.
Last edited by Phoenix7786 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:59 pm

What I suspect is happening is that the monsters aren't being properly flagged as dead.

Chexter doesn't have to worry about this because he zorches everything.

So it's not that they're invincible, but it's that the "don't die when they are killed".

Small Question: Is it always a specific subset of monsters that do this? It may be a decorate error. I hope it is, because those are easy to fix.
Last edited by Untitled on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:21 pm

Only ONCE and ONCE did a Rocketman go invul. Other than that, it's consistently the Catharsis monster. I was wondering about the Zorch not leaving a body thing being the cause too. Do you want me to re-download the PK's and start my files over? Or can I continue my Chex play-through? This is a super-fun mod and I'm loving it. I just feel bad it's putting so much stress on you.

Could it be that when I reload a save-file, that some kind of variable, flag, or <insert other technobabble) is causing a previously-dead Catharsis to get revived in the next wave? I've seen it as early as wave 4, which SHOULD only be 1 Pinkie and 3 Bloodies (at least on the "hurt-me-plenty" archetype). If I do save a file, I only save it after the announcer announces the wave as clear (so as not to cheese waves by saving in the middle of them.
Last edited by Phoenix7786 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:21 pm

Phoenix7786 wrote: Only ONCE and ONCE did a Rocketman go invul. Other than that, it's consistently the Catharsis monster.
Hm. I'll have to check.

The rocket thing annoys me so much because bugs I can't replicate.

Hm. The catharsi. I'll have to look in this a bit more.

Don't worry about stress; I've had worse bugs reported to me, such as recently a map being more or less completely broken and rendered unbeatable, or one entire game mode being broked. If you we're around for Samsara/Stronghold's early development, you would be jaw-dropping at how many bugs there were.

So thanks for the report though, bug reports are valuable information.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:00 pm

Is it ok to play Chexster some more, or will a new version break the save files?
Last edited by Phoenix7786 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:47 pm

new versions break save files.. you can use the older version instead of overwriting it though.
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Nothing to see here
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:21 pm

Well damn. With this bug I'm encountering it's killing my chances at playing it. Maybe this version will be my chance to get really in-touch with Chexster. Then I can tool around with Parias (who by my avy you can tell I'm a HeXen fan) and B.J. once it gets fixed. Thanks Crud.