SamsaraHold Resurrection + Enhancer

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Espio
Forum Regular

RE: SamsaraHold - 0.11 - Feature Requests?

Post by Espio » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:15 pm

I already told you a feature request on irc if it can work properly.
https://youtu.be/qbgpcemxVPA?t=8s "Get the fuck up."
https://www.mediafire.com/?kb7sf1nizgwvqsr My custom music wad for Doom I & II - 166 MEG WARNING

<Dark-Slayer>CorpseGr1nder, get a job
<Konar6>blow*

(09:58:54)<BlueCool>think of all the stuff i couldve done in thoes 5 second
(09:59:05)<BlueCool>1. bake cookies
(09:59:16)<BlueCool>2. eat cookies

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:51 pm

TehRealSalt wrote: This is a lot of fun! I'm playing through the game with a buddy, and it's a grand old time.

Now that you are taking feature requests, I got an idea. Would a Highlander mode be doable? (If you don't know what that is, it's when there can only be one class being played at a time.)

I remember when I first tried this out, thinking that it'd be cool to get a group of 8 people and everyone would play as each of the classes in the game and attempt to beat the game. If a Highlander mode was implemented, then this whole thing would become more possible with strangers and I don't have to go onto a message-board or IRC and awkwardly put a message up to get a group together. Plus, less Rangers and more characters being played.

But, also a bug report (at least I think it's a bug). I went into the Hell secret mission (blue key one) with a buddy, and when we tried it out, we were bombarded with Marine guys "helping" us out. I put that in quotes because they weren't helping at all, they were just lagging up the server and making it hard to fight monsters. From my knowledge, there should only be a couple of guys around, but instead there were about a hundred. It looks like they were meant to scale with players, but I'd prefer them to not.
Alright.

EDIT #2: Totally misunderstood your point - yeah, getting 8 players to play one of each class would be really cool, but yeah people like Duke so I dunno - You can ignore the next paragraph.

For "Highlander Mode" - there are options to make it so certain classes can't be played. Because it would be WAY too easy to troll with this, I've made it so only the server admin can adjust these since it's abusable. CVars are:
samsara_bandoomguy
samsara_banchex
samsara_bancorvus
samsara_banbj
samsara_banparias
samsara_banduke
samsara_banso
samsara_banranger

--
STR54:

For the "Helper Marines" - They Actually DO help out; You can seriously just completely ignore wave 1 and 2. Seriously. The lag tends to subside when most of them die, which is around when the bruiser demons show up in waves 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. They usually are mostly dead by wave 7, though.

For your interest, what I did was that basically I decided to edit the Hell secret mission - All of the fights sans waves 1 and 2 are taken directly from the original "Ultimate Torment and Torture" - originally, there were about 45 marines, so I made it so there's 45 marines there too.

Believe me, you WILL need them, as later waves get ridiculously brutal - Wave 10 has, on single player ultra violence, 36 Bruiser Demons and 15 Archons of Hell, amongst about 500 other monsters, and by that point, there will be about 10 different spawn points (though 8 of them are in the fortress, and the other 2 of them right outside the fortress).

There are Spider Demolishers on wave 4, and if I recall correctly, cybruisers on wave 2 (which you can ignore entirely), bruiser demons on wave 4, archviles on wave 3, and every wave from wave 2 onwards has a couple hundred monsters on single player, which gets pretty ludicrous multiplayer.

The thing is on multiplayer there enough monsters that each wave takes about 5-10 minutes to progress

to be honest, as of right now, STR54 is probably the hardest mission outside of tier six and the final mission (which was created with the sole purpose of being difficult so that doesn't really count), if you have 4-8 players. It's absolutely insane, and for being based on "The Ultimate Torment and Torture", it has a right to be.

EDIT:
Espio wrote: I already told you a feature request on irc if it can work properly.
It's better to post on the forums - I'm more likely to remember, as my irc connections tend to be easy to falter out - if you want a feature in, it's best to post in on the forums, as it stays there.
Last edited by Untitled on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

TehRealSalt

Post by TehRealSalt » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:17 pm

Untitled wrote: EDIT #2: Totally misunderstood your point - yeah, getting 8 players to play one of each class would be really cool, but yeah people like Duke so I dunno - You can ignore the next paragraph.
Sorry about that, I probably should have explained it a little better.

Also, keep it as a server-only option. Highlander might be easy to abuse and some may get upset if they couldn't play as a specific character.
For the "Helper Marines" - They Actually DO help out; You can seriously just completely ignore wave 1 and 2. Seriously. The lag tends to subside when most of them die, which is around when the bruiser demons show up in waves 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. They usually are mostly dead by wave 7, though.
Yeah, I noticed. That's a little bit of my problem with them, though. I feel like they are carrying you through it. When I first tried it, they carried us farther than waves 1 and 2 actually. We put very little input into it and got decently far before starting to get into the action. Might've just been luck, though.
Believe me, you WILL need them, as later waves get ridiculously brutal - Wave 10 has, on single player ultra violence, 36 Bruiser Demons and 15 Archons of Hell, amongst about 500 other monsters, and by that point, there will be about 10 different spawn points (though 8 of them are in the fortress, and the other 2 of them right outside the fortress).
I always assumed that UV was intended to be hard-mode. I dunno, maybe I just suck because I normally play Doom on UV and I did awful my first time, so I stuck with HMP.
to be honest, as of right now, STR54 is probably the hardest mission outside of tier six and the final mission (which was created with the sole purpose of being difficult so that doesn't really count), if you have 4-8 players. It's absolutely insane, and for being based on "The Ultimate Torment and Torture", it has a right to be.
Yes! And I'm fine with it staying one of the hardest missions because:
1. its hell lol
2. It's influences from TUT&T

You know what; remember what I said in my post?
It looks like they were meant to scale with players, but I'd prefer them to not.
Scratch that, I think that simply lowering the monster and marine count (don't lower the monster count too much, though) and having the marines scale with players would make it much less laggy and more rewarding. In my opinion, I'd prefer to do it myself, because I like the feeling of overcoming something greater than yourself. It should be one of those missions that is tougher than nails, but it makes you feel like a champion for beating it. Plus, it's not a regular mission that is required to be beaten to finish the game, it's just a side challenge.

Again, just my opinion's on how this level should be done, this one level won't deter me from loving this mod. C:
Last edited by TehRealSalt on Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Espio
Forum Regular

Post by Espio » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:40 am

I said before for some sort of voting system to prevent accident starts and trolls starting a map without everyone ready on purpose.
https://www.mediafire.com/?kb7sf1nizgwvqsr My custom music wad for Doom I & II - 166 MEG WARNING

<Konar6>blow*

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:04 pm

Espio wrote: I said before for some sort of voting system to prevent accident starts and trolls starting a map without everyone ready on purpose.
Sorry Espio, you're not getting your request until I figure out how to code it, so not yet (believe me, I want to implement that, but I dunno how so ffffffffffffffffff)

But in other news, there's a Beta Stage! Hopefully with less bugs, better balance, and less crashing!
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

Projects:

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:12 pm

Maybe a simple countdown before allowing going to a map? Players cant leave the shopping area for that time.

Edit : To be specific, a return script on the hub can do something like this.
Last edited by Cruduxy on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Nothing to see here
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:03 pm

My guess on how to code it would be to make the script switch a value which allows players to vote, then it waits until at least half of the players in the game have voted yes or no. (like normal zandronum votes)
I think the voting could be done with changing the weapon you got at the HUB to one that activates an acs script with it's fire and altfire, and using a DECORATE item for a token to wether or not they have voted.
If the vote then fails, an acs script is run to remove the token item from all players to allow them to vote again.
If under half of the players vote at all when a timer runs out, then it compares the yes and no votes and either changes map or not.

It would require some text to be displayed on your HUB weapon, though that could just be put directly on the weapon sprite, as you never change the weapon in there.

Hope I could inspire you somewhat to find a solution :)
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:29 pm

Well, at some point, yes, I want to implement that voting system, but this isn't the update for it, sadly.

It /is/ however, the update for fixing other things (mostly the Autoshotgun)!

Beta 2:
-Autoshotgun has proper SBarInfo.
-Apparently I broked the ASG animation. Fixed it.
-Retooled some maps, again. Mostly for the easier.
-Retooled Doomguy's Landmine distribution to be more fair and closer to stronghold.
-Other things that aren't mentioned in changelogs.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

HexaDoken
Forum Regular

Post by HexaDoken » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:36 pm

Or go even further and make the thing entirely ACS based, complete with a clientside hudmessage-based menu. Attempting to enter a map counts as yes vote. If you don't want to make a keybind for voting menu, you could tie it to fire button using GetPlayerInput, since fire button is not really used on the intermission map much. (unless samsarahold is different from original stronghold in this regard - I confess that I have actually never played it)

That's not too hard to code and is much cleaner than relying on decorate in any shape or form.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:38 pm

HexaDoken wrote: Or go even further and make the thing entirely ACS based, complete with a clientside hudmessage-based menu. Attempting to enter a map counts as yes vote. If you don't want to make a keybind for voting menu, you could tie it to fire button using GetPlayerInput, since fire button is not really used on the intermission map much. (unless samsarahold is different from original stronghold in this regard - I confess that I have actually never played it)

That's not too hard to code and is much cleaner than relying on decorate in any shape or form.
That's honestly what I want to do; but my acs skills are crap so basically I'm on the "ok how do I get this working step" for everything.

But yeah, I can assure that someday that's going to be happening.

Not today, sadly.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

HexaDoken
Forum Regular

Post by HexaDoken » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:03 pm

You'll need to have an understanding of how HudMessage works, possibly how SetFont and SetHudSize(if you don't want this to look crap) works, how GetPlayerInput works, how map changing works, how PlayerCount and PlayerNumber work. And how clientside works.

Then you need a LOT of logic.

What you start with is probably the voting interface itself. This is a clientside script which gives you a huge load of hudmessages, particulary it probably should have things like showing the full list of maps(you could probably stuff them in an array and display using a For loop), which map has how much votes, where the heck is your vote currently, and the "exit" button that clears hudmessages. Using GetPlayerInput you detect keypresses and scroll through the menu and give votes to maps.

When a vote needs to be sent, you need to swtich to server-side scope. The best way to do this is to create a non-clientside NET script and just puke it from the interface with ConsoleCommand("puke <scriptnumber> <mapnumber>"). The script would take the number of the map for which you want to vote as first argument, would detect who issued the vote using ActivatorTID or something, and then would place the vote under a big 64-indexed array that would keep track of which player number voted for which map number.

Then you need yet another array(may be somewhat ineffective, but easier to wrap one's head around) that keeps track of the actual AMOUNT of votes each map has. Updates every time someone votes by looking through the entire vote array and adding their votes for each map number. If after updating there is a map that has an amount of votes greater than one half of PlayerCount, let's go to that map.

Or something.

Yeah this is a rough sketch, may need adjustments.

Espio
Forum Regular

Post by Espio » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:59 pm

HexaDoken wrote:If you don't want to make a keybind for voting menu, you could tie it to fire button using GetPlayerInput, since fire button is not really used on the intermission map much. (unless samsarahold is different from original stronghold in this regard - I confess that I have actually never played it)
It's still the same, just holding out your fists as you run about.

<Konar6>blow*

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:37 pm

Welp, this is more a "fix everything that's currently borked" rather than adding new stuff, but have Beta 3!

(Changelog is in the OP).

Have Fun!

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:24 pm

And yet another, "Fix everything that was supposed to be fixed in last beta but got missed in development" patch, have Beta 4!

(Changelog, like always, is in the OP).

Have Fun!

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:09 pm

And Now for the first RELEASE CANDIDATE!

Hopefully everything's fixed this time.

Enjoy!

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Espio
Forum Regular

Post by Espio » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:45 pm

Really need to start highlighting me in irc if you're actually playreleasing.. course maybe it'd be better with fresh blood.

<Konar6>blow*

arghghg
New User

Post by arghghg » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:12 pm

Had a bunch of fun playing this today. What are the sg_prt, sg_pry, sg_mtd, etc songs from?

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:40 pm

arghghg wrote: Had a bunch of fun playing this today. What are the sg_prt, sg_pry, sg_mtd, etc songs from?
any "sg_" songs are from the game "Shadowgrounds". It has an amazing soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_prHy6 ... ahVAdKWzTN

any "tbm_" songs are from the game "Tunnel B1", which also has an amazing soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckmGsFd ... hqNBwIW9ZX

The rest (not including the music from the secret maps) are composed for stronghold's usage.

Anyways, RC2 is out. Changelog is in the OP.

Also, yesterday we had the first successful run through of STR35. We beat the entire mission, and only had half of the server get crashed by packets (remember, that before this, the standard was "server crashes")!

Thanks for everyone that made it happen, it was really really amazing.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Espio
Forum Regular

Post by Espio » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:18 pm

Really now? Then that's some great news. Looking forward to it not creating problems anymore in the near future.

<Konar6>blow*

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:21 pm

Alright, Samsarahold Release Candidate 3 is now out! Have fun.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects: