SamsaraHold Resurrection + Enhancer

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Untitled
Forum Regular

RE: SamsaraHold - 0.1C - The New Era

Post by Untitled » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:29 am

Updated to 0.1C. This is getting frustratingly close to bug free but not quite.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:38 am

New version? I have but 1 thing to say:
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
UPDATE: The Catharsis bug popped up again on B.J., but ONLY when I reloaded after a failed wave. I just said fuck it and ~'d my way past the last 2 waves. At least the Catharsi didn't follow me back to the base :P

Also, in the spirit of cooperating with others, I'm getting used to using my pistol-archetype when it's safe to, for ammo conservation. Or do more ammo parts spawn when there's more people? Basically, is using my free pistol to conserve ammo a bad habit people will be more annoyed with? Or am I on the right track for whenever I get around to MP?
Last edited by Phoenix7786 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:51 pm

Alright, time for some stronghold knowledge.

Stronghold automatically scales everything with player count. Powerups, Ammo, Health, and Monsters.

Ammo generally isn't a problem in multiplayer, for two reasons. One is that there's barely any missions that deprive you of ammo (having 200 shells is common occurrence), the other is that Ammo scales up faster the Monsters.

Powerups scale directly with player count. 8 players means 8 times powerups.
Ammo and health scale up an additional 75% for every player past the first. For example, 4 stimpacks on one player turns into (4*1.75) 7 stimpacks on two players.
Monsters scale an additional 50% for every player past the first. For example, 10 imps would become (10*1.5) 15 imps with two players.
(both scales start at 100% for one player, except for monster scales. Monster scales are variable depending on difficulty.)
Last edited by Untitled on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

Projects:

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:32 pm

Ahh ok. Thanks for tolerating me and my newbishness. So, for the most part, as long as I don't go A-Team with the ammo it'll last?
Also, this Cartharsis bug (as of this C version) has only happened on a reloaded file (and by reloaded I mean if I fail a wave and re-load from like a wave or 2 behind. Otherwise I keep a "safe" file before I start any map waves). I can try saving AFTER all the monsters have spawned and see if that helps prevent it.
Last edited by Phoenix7786 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

RE: SamsaraHold - 0.11 - The Return of Hell

Post by Untitled » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:45 pm

And, unbelievably, the FIRST ALPHA for 0.11 is out!

So notes:
-THIS IS AN ALPHA STAGE. If things crash or bug up, please politely report them to me or dekw (who also goes by P_PlayerThink), so I can fix them. Well, try.
-I'm open to suggestions, and will probably make discussion in the server. Or forum page.
-Lots of new things! First and foremost, try to have fun. Don't ruin it for other people (unless you are reporting bugs to me), enjoy the game, and just try and have fun.
---
-Metroid: Stronghold is never happening. Ever.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:05 pm

I sense that no one actually posts on this thread, but anyway; Second Alpha!

-Rebalanced many missions - the multiplayer difficulty was getting way out of hand.
-Fixed some Overmind number bugs.
-Realigned a texture in the intermission map.
-Buffed SLZ again.
-Automatic Shotgun is now taken from your inventory at the end of a mission.
-Samsarahold_cl_strweapons/samsarahold_cl_dukemusic now works.
Last edited by Untitled on Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

MrSetharoo
Forum Regular

Post by MrSetharoo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:50 pm

I played a bit of it yesterday. I enjoyed the hell out of playing it and enjoyed playing with Melee only mode with no health pickups. We'll have to play it with a bunch of people.

My only complaint is the difficulty needs to be cranked up or the turrets need to be nerfed because they carried us to victory with very little input.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:20 pm

MrSetharoo wrote: I played a bit of it yesterday. I enjoyed the hell out of playing it and enjoyed playing with Melee only mode with no health pickups. We'll have to play it with a bunch of people.

My only complaint is the difficulty needs to be cranked up or the turrets need to be nerfed because they carried us to victory with very little input.
Ah, so it was you who turned punchdrunk mode on. Heh, I've never seen anyone try.

I've found that turret's strength's tend to be inverse to monster strength - The turrets are REALLY GOOD against the weaker monsters, but stronger monsters can roll over them pretty easily.

And yeah, they're pretty much the most efficient item in the game - honestly, there's a reason there's a sign saying Best-Seller on it. It really is Best-Selling.

And yes, they basically wreck all of Tier 1, and 80% of Tier 2.

I looked through the server log, you played on Tier 1 and Tier 2. Trust me when I say the LATER TIERS (as in Tier 5 and Tier 6) are monstrously difficult. Stronghold starts with easy (yet rather unforgiving) missions, and then picks up a bit with each tier.

Also, Samsara_NoHealth? Someone actually tried that? I thought that was basically suicide.

Also, note: Next Alpha is probably coming out tomorrow, addressing character balance. I will get this right, dammit!

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

MrSetharoo
Forum Regular

Post by MrSetharoo » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Untitled wrote:
MrSetharoo wrote: I played a bit of it yesterday. I enjoyed the hell out of playing it and enjoyed playing with Melee only mode with no health pickups. We'll have to play it with a bunch of people.

Ah, so it was you who turned punchdrunk mode on. Heh, I've never seen anyone try.

I've found that turret's strength's tend to be inverse to monster strength - The turrets are REALLY GOOD against the weaker monsters, but stronger monsters can roll over them pretty easily.

And yeah, they're pretty much the most efficient item in the game - honestly, there's a reason there's a sign saying Best-Seller on it. It really is Best-Selling.

And yes, they basically wreck all of Tier 1, and 80% of Tier 2.

I looked through the server log, you played on Tier 1 and Tier 2. Trust me when I say the LATER TIERS (as in Tier 5 and Tier 6) are monstrously difficult. Stronghold starts with easy (yet rather unforgiving) missions, and then picks up a bit with each tier.

Also, Samsara_NoHealth? Someone actually tried that? I thought that was basically suicide.

Also, note: Next Alpha is probably coming out tomorrow, addressing character balance. I will get this right, dammit!
Ah I didn't think the Tiers had to do with difficulty I though they were just to make it easier to find a certain mission. well I'll have to try suicide mode on tier 3 and up then

Also someone pointed out to you in the IRC about a voting system? I would like to see this as well because people have been stupid in the past in stronghold about going into missions without letting people get items and what not.

oh yeah and you still get your starting weapon in punchdrunk mode but it doesn't shoot. Not sure if thats a bug or intentional.
Last edited by MrSetharoo on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:56 pm

MrSetharoo wrote: Ah I didn't think the Tiers had to do with difficulty I though they were just to make it easier to find a certain mission. well I'll have to try suicide mode on tier 3 and up then

Also someone pointed out to you in the IRC about a voting system? I would like to see this as well because people have been stupid in the past in stronghold about going into missions without letting people get items and what not.

oh yeah and you still get your starting weapon in punchdrunk mode but it doesn't shoot. Not sure if thats a bug or intentional.
Sorry for the late reply, but alright:
-Yeah, the way stronghold works is that you have to beat one tier to unlock the next, with each tier getting harder.
-Heh. The voting system for map switches isn't out yet, but rest assured some day I will add that.
-Punchdrunk has some odd behaviors, so I can tell you it's a bug, but I don't really know if I can do anything about it.

Alright so, ALPHA 3 is out! Hopefully this is the last alpha stage. Good luck! It features:
-Better balance
-Bugfixes
-Some secret things

EDIT: Welp. We're on Alpha 4 now, due to me derping hardcore.
Last edited by Untitled on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

MrSetharoo
Forum Regular

Post by MrSetharoo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:39 am

Untitled wrote: EDIT: Welp. We're on Alpha 4 now, due to me derping hardcore.
So when can we expect the Super Ultra SamsaraHold Arcade Hyper Remix Edition EX Alpha DLC?

yay for stupid jokes

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:14 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItoRNcjG_Wc

This recorder is both incredibly helpful and incredibly stupid.

This guy gave excellent excellent footage of the mod

and he's also a total "douchewagonmobile" (don't worry, Ijon Tichy came up with the insult).
Last edited by Untitled on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

The Great Cornholio
New User

Post by The Great Cornholio » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:58 am

This wad looks great, but i hope it dosent make my bungholio angry.

-The Great Cornholio

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:24 pm

Hey I'm still here dude :)

Trouble is, I moved (still in Africa). However, the subdivision I live in does not have electricity, not since the transformer was destroyed 7 months ago. And let me tell you loading up Samsarahold on a laptop's battery is MURDER. How's work on Naraka and Gina (I think that's the Unreal lady's name) going? Saw your Metroid work too. Looks badass dude!

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:21 pm

Phoenix7786 wrote: Hey I'm still here dude :)

Trouble is, I moved (still in Africa). However, the subdivision I live in does not have electricity, not since the transformer was destroyed 7 months ago. And let me tell you loading up Samsarahold on a laptop's battery is MURDER. How's work on Naraka and Gina (I think that's the Unreal lady's name) going? Saw your Metroid work too. Looks badass dude!
I'm not the guy who's doing Metroid/Naraka/Gina. That's TerminusEst13, creator of Samsara, so you got the wrong guy :V (though actually I'm not looking forward to porting Gina because aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)

I just created SamsaraHold, so all credit for actually having samsara's resources available is from TerminusEst13 and Ijon Tichy.

Please check out their threads for progress on their works.

Now, on an entirely unrelated note, ALPHA 5! Not available to the public yet due to BestEver doing some major changes (switching locations of server), but it IS done.
Last edited by Untitled on Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:16 pm

Yeah I JUST realized that, So sorry! <insert my am dumb here>

How's the work on SH going anyways?

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:21 pm

Phoenix7786 wrote: Yeah I JUST realized that, So sorry! <insert my am dumb here>

How's the work on SH going anyways?
Sorry for the late reply, I wanted to wait for a big because...
It's going quite well.
So well in fact, ALPHA 5 is now out!

Have fun!

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

Phoenix7786

Post by Phoenix7786 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:47 pm

Hey no worries! Due to my living situation, I have to play it offline. I still get that fucking Catharsi bug, but I have made an observation. I only see this if I save and reload mid "round" (as in after intermission but before winning all waves). It has happened to me on B.J., S.O., and Parias. Does not happen to me on Chexster. Someone pointed out it has to be linked to the fact that Chexster is the only one to not leave dead bodies. When I reload, there's got to be some weird quirk where the enemy's body comes back (they don't count as living enemies so even if it says 0 enemies left they'll still be there). I haven't seen it on any of the later tiers, and since nobody else reports this bug it's got to be something linked to single-player, particularly loading mid-mission.

Sorry I always seem to have bad news for you. I'm so excited to play this online when I get back to the U.S next year.
Last edited by Phoenix7786 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

RE: SamsaraHold - 0.11 - Feature Requests?

Post by Untitled » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:25 pm

At this point, SamsaraHold is more or less ready to advance.

Since I'm now at a "Functional" stage (which given samsarahold's history, says a lot), I'd like to ask my forum mates if they have any feature requests, because adding features is fun.

I can't grant every feature you want, but I'll be happy to explain why a feature isn't getting in if it's not getting in.

BTW: The server is up, so have fun killing those demons. Hell's back with a vengeance, so be ready.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

TehRealSalt

RE: SamsaraHold - 0.11 - Feature Requests?

Post by TehRealSalt » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:10 pm

This is a lot of fun! I'm playing through the game with a buddy, and it's a grand old time.

Now that you are taking feature requests, I got an idea. Would a Highlander mode be doable? (If you don't know what that is, it's when there can only be one class being played at a time.)

I remember when I first tried this out, thinking that it'd be cool to get a group of 8 people and everyone would play as each of the classes in the game and attempt to beat the game. If a Highlander mode was implemented, then this whole thing would become more possible with strangers and I don't have to go onto a message-board or IRC and awkwardly put a message up to get a group together. Plus, less Rangers and more characters being played.

But, also a bug report (at least I think it's a bug). I went into the Hell secret mission (blue key one) with a buddy, and when we tried it out, we were bombarded with Marine guys "helping" us out. I put that in quotes because they weren't helping at all, they were just lagging up the server and making it hard to fight monsters. From my knowledge, there should only be a couple of guys around, but instead there were about a hundred. It looks like they were meant to scale with players, but I'd prefer them to not.