ZDoom Wars 1: v3.15d (updated 2/6/19)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Mr. Repo

RE: ZDoom Wars 1: v3.0g

Post by Mr. Repo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:55 am

You know what, the lightning trail for the Spectres attacks isn't clientsided. Everything else should be because I distinctly remember doing the missile based attacks when I did the Cyberdemon's rockets. Can't remember where I stashed them exactly, but they're in there. Thanks for pointing that out though.

I should probably have another revision out by the weeks end. Keep up the questions/concerns/suggestions fellas!

fr blood
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by fr blood » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:36 am

There is a bug with the Entity witch happens really often, it makes the Entity stay in his "FRIGHTENED", then he doesn't come back to help us when we because he is somewhere far away in the map still running when no one monster is chasing him.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:30 pm

I had a very game changing glitch the other day. For some reason, when I spammed heroes as Strife, in this order: Entity, Inquisitor and Spectre B, I didn't get a cooldown nor cost reduction for the Spectre B. I made another one right after. Might have been lag, I thought, but that's not possible since if I was lagging I'd not have spawned it or at least would've received information. Might be worth looking at.

Also for retrofittable monsters, when you try to teleport them and if the teleporter is stuck you can observe that they become their non-retrofitted versions for a couple tics, sometimes even more. I've seen a rail rev become a normal rev until it saw an enemy.
Last edited by Ivan on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Flareon
Banned
Banned: Permanently

Post by Flareon » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:33 am

teleports should un-retrofit everything by default o\, it's an effective way to turn flame mancubus back to regular mancubus o\

Mr. Repo

RE: ZDoom Wars 1: v3.0h

Post by Mr. Repo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:47 am

Soooo...

Left the Spectres mass as is.

Chex summonballs with the meteor didn't make much difference so I'm leaving them as is.

I ended up changing the Entity & Programmers frightened states.

Redid the teleporter jumping to the correct state for retrofitted monsters.

The strange bugs with hero counts and teleporters come and go for whatever reason. They're extremely rare, but to my knowledge no known way to accurately reproduce them 100% of the time. Nothing I can do there I'm afraid.

I think that covers the in the air stuff from this thread. Anyway
Spoiler: Data V3.0h Changelog (Open)
General:

-Created a new CVar flag called 'ZDW_ProjectileTeleports.' If set to 1, players will shoot projectiles instead of 'punching' monsters to teleport them

-Upgrade summoners can now be sent to inventory instead of removed. Holding Altfire will send them to inventory while tapping altfire five times completely removes the summoner for the round

-Clientsided projectiles that had been previously skipped over

-Also redid and optimized a redundant script or two

Hexen:

-Health items now auto activate when the player reaches 1 or less health just like they did in Hexen

Balance:

Strife

-Programmer: Reworked Chuckie's frightened state so he'll no longer try to masquerade as a second rate John Matrix

-Entity: Removed the chance for the Entity to ever get into it's frightened/increased missile state. This is more of a test to see if this makes the monster more consistent

Bugs:

-Cleaned up a few retrofit teleport states that could cause the wrong sprites to appear on a few monsters

Heretic

-Weredragon(retrofitted) Retrofitted Weredragon's when teleported would revert back to their normal counterparts

Hexen

-Ettin: Silver Team Ettin(s) could not be enchanted via the enchant wave

Strife:

-Spectre B: Spectre B shared their limit counter with Spectre A

-Entity: Entity's health was at 7350 when it should have been 7250
Download: http://zdwi.neszone.net/downloads/ZDoomWarsIv3.0h.pk3

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:30 pm

Nice changes, something that caught my attention while reading the decorates: Spore's upgrade only increases his attack speed? There's a SporeShotUpgraded actor but it's not used by spores at all. Was this intentional? If not I was going to say, the upgrade is quite worthless.

Arctangent

Post by Arctangent » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:32 pm

Ivan wrote: Nice changes, something that caught my attention while reading the decorates: Spore's upgrade only increases his attack speed? There's a SporeShotUpgraded actor but it's not used by spores at all. Was this intentional? If not I was going to say, the upgrade is quite worthless.
Actually, increasing attack speed is one of the most effective ways of increasing a character's DPS, so sometimes that's all that's needed. Granted, I'm saying this in general, and I don't really know how much the upgrade really increases it so it might still be pretty worthless, especially factoring in how long monsters take between attacks.

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:36 pm

No Ivan it also does what the upgrade actually says it does, give it damagefactors against damage like suppression and oppression, and less painchance. Read the decorates betterer

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:02 pm

According to some reading, spores will still get one shot despite that upgrade, from snipers that is. Is there any sniper unit that won't one shot them?

Mr. Repo

Post by Mr. Repo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:15 pm

Yeah that's definitely another leftover from way back when because of low tier monsters taking 1.5 damage from snipers. I think it should be 0.5 in the case of the upgraded Spores. I'll make a note of that.

Also the Spore Upgrade increases the damage of the projectile as well as it's speed, frequency of being fired and the painchance resistance.

Overall I've been wanting to redo all the upgrades in the game for a while now because some are way more useful than others. I even have it written down how to do it, but I just don't think I have the time to properly monitor and balance 'em out when these days. Maybe if I can ever get 3.1 out I'll go ahead and give it a whirl.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:03 pm

Where exactly is the increased damage projectile used though? I can't really find it, it's really just defined.

Mr. Repo

Post by Mr. Repo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:25 pm

Ah shoot you're right about that. It's not being used and it should be. I'll fix that guy too.

Still I'm appreciative of you finding all these bugs no one would have otherwise noticed. Definitely helps out a lot.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:12 pm

Mr. Repo wrote: Ah shoot you're right about that. It's not being used and it should be. I'll fix that guy too.

Still I'm appreciative of you finding all these bugs no one would have otherwise noticed. Definitely helps out a lot.
The only reason I am able to find is we going "oh that unit is useless" on TS, and I'm like "hmm wonder why" and trying to find some actual data to back it up. Another weak upgrade that comes to my mind is the Heretic's mummy upgrade. It's randomly spread and it does very little damage to be of any use IMO, for it's price that is.

You might also want to decrease the turret retrofit cost by 1 mana as it ends up costing the same, 8/1 + 3 => 11/1.

My other question is, why does the virus ground upgrade actually increase their units' cost? The upgrade adds some health, thats good, but the units are already very costly and mostly very situational. I don't get the balance reasons behind this. (Perhaps the treadmill gets stronger very much, I can relate to this, but the meshwalker is very crappy regardless at melee/mid range) A similar complaint I have is for the Leader. This time I've seen it being used. I don't know where you brought up that DPS fact the other day, but he sure as hell does not use that yellow stream attack as often. I can compare this unit to a unit of similar task: Death Wyvern. Cheaper and more consistent compared to the Leader. IMO, the whole red blaster attack it has is pathetic, I saw the damage value on that. I think the average value is less than 50, which is quite horrible and it retorts to this attack quite often for some reason. Now, I won't deny, that yellow projectile stream attack is actually VERY good, but it doesn't even use this attack very often to make a difference. I think Leader could use some treatment. Maybe it could use the red projectile attack if and only if it's target is a player, as well as making the projectile very fast?

An ages old complaint of mine, Heresiarch. Why is his useless flame head attack still useless? :P It just runs up to walls or gets stuck on the floor to make that awful bounce noise non-stop. I know his attacks are hard-coded, but surely something can be done about it.

And finally, I suggest you take a look at certain projectiles in Virus' units, mainly the explosive ones. They have these weird "2.1, 2.4" etc numbers that are the multipliers for damage values. Those are not only redundant, but look weird too. 2.1 only differs from 2.0 at certain values, which makes them bigger by only 1 (and 2 on some cases). IMO, they should be rounded or changed altogether. An 0.1 is not enough to give you any sort of advantage on the battlefield.

Also there seems to be a mistake on Suppression and Suppression2 types. The latter has damagefactors on normal LMS but the former has some only in TLMS modes. Some monsters like Chaingunguy and Mancubus use the former, but they have no effect on anything in LMS. Can you correct this?

Programmer also seems to be much rarely attack now compared to before, it seems to be mostly on just pure retreat instead of attacking even enemies surrounding it. Might change stances more often perhaps?
Last edited by Ivan on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grymmoire
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Grymmoire » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:31 pm

I've been looking at the DECORATE recently and I noticed that the ghost mummy is actually cheaper if you use the altfire from the normal mummy summoner. It checks for 4 mana but then only takes 3. If you use the regular ghost mummy summoner you spend the full 4 mana.

In addition, I dunno if this issue has been addressed or brought to attention yet, but dual pain elementals only summon 1 lost soul missile. They are frozen in place for the duration of time that they would fire a second lost soul, but they don't actually fire it. That makes dual pain elementals completely useless.

I second Ivan's suppression mention. I noticed it some time ago but I wasn't sure if there were actually two different forms of suppression damage going around, but as it turns out there is only one. Monsters that would take additional damage from suppression take it from "suppression2" though - of which I can't seem to find. Even if there are two forms going around, it doesn't make sense to advertise suppression monsters as doing extra damage that isn't consistent across all suppression dealing monsters.

fr blood

Post by fr blood » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:09 am

BTW I still don't understand the goal of the defense drone.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:49 pm

Another complaint: Why are treadmills resurrectable? AFAIK no other blue mana unit is resurrectable. This can give the upperhand quite easily. Oh and virus teleport projectile can hurt monsters, I've seen this abused to distract projectile suppression units that constantly attack to distract them or even hurt/kite melee units. This might need some attention.
Last edited by Ivan on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:38 pm

Another note after playing a few games, the Programmer seems to be really passive. I understand this was done to keep him from having a deathwish and charging into an army solo, however it seems he went from one extremity to another. The Programmer now retreats faster than a Frenchman when confronted by even single units. I would suggest either making it so he attacks while retreating or making him slightly more aggressive. Additionally, his lightning attack is a bit weak compared to other Strife Heroes and could use a little buff. The only other option would be to make him a normal unit and adjust mana costs appropriately if his current behavior is to remain the same.
Projects

EonDM - With Hatred as my sidekick.
RageCTF - Made 1 map and did much more.
DBAB LMS - Pack made for Last Man Standing.
EonWeapons - Improve vanilla weapons and add stuff for kicks.
Progressive Duel - Leaving the old behind.
IDL201X CTF - Maintaining since 2013.
Strife AA - Helped tested + 1 map

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:00 pm

Also why does the super cyclops not hit ghosts from far? This isn't mentioned on tooltips.

Torvald
Forum Regular

Post by Torvald » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:27 pm

Ivan wrote: Another complaint: Why are treadmills resurrectable? AFAIK no other blue mana unit is resurrectable.
I used to abuse the shit out of this lol. I don't think they should be able to be resurrected, those thinks are tanks.
Cyber: was chased by cowboys
Nautilus: Cowboys? more like a buncha kids chasing a fucking ice cream truck
UnixAssassin wrote: The definition of cheating is not this: Using an aim assisting tool in a game
BEST.EVER.
Teamspeak: WUMBO.CA

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:02 am

Torvald wrote:
Ivan wrote: Another complaint: Why are treadmills resurrectable? AFAIK no other blue mana unit is resurrectable.
I used to abuse the shit out of this lol. I don't think they should be able to be resurrected, those thinks are tanks.
THINKS!!!