ZDoom Wars 1: v3.15d (updated 2/6/19)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

RE: ZDoom Wars 1: v3.0g

Post by Slyfox » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:45 pm

Recently hopped back onto ths game and still love it, good job mah man; On another note, I personally feel now that virus turrets no longer hits ghosts they kind of unneeded, especially if i can upgrade them for 3 mana

Mr. Repo

Post by Mr. Repo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:12 pm

Ah cool, I'm glad you're giving it a shot again. It's definitely been a while eh?

Anyway about turrets... admittedly the ghost hitting was a quick fix because I was being bombarded with requests about how they were ruining games more so than the previous few years all of a sudden. There still is a difference between the two though: single shot are more accurate, do more damage, and are quicker (I think) while spread does the opposite. I guess it's more of a question of dumb fire vs a concentrated stream of fire. I do agree that they could be adjusted more and for the next release I'll definitely try to make a more apparent difference between the two.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:20 am

Why does Tyketto's map have a random gimmick boss pop up? I thought those were gone. I got killed by that bitch fucktard Tyketto who happens to one shot everyone with super retarded projectiles, I want an explanation and my money back. Also, I need some water for my salt...
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:22 am

Get better at dodging. Perhaps throwing some salt back into the mine will lighten your load.
Projects

EonDM - With Hatred as my sidekick.
RageCTF - Made 1 map and did much more.
DBAB LMS - Pack made for Last Man Standing.
EonWeapons - Improve vanilla weapons and add stuff for kicks.
Progressive Duel - Leaving the old behind.
IDL201X CTF - Maintaining since 2013.
Strife AA - Helped tested + 1 map

KeoTheLegend
New User

Post by KeoTheLegend » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:24 am

Ivan wrote: Why does Tyketto's map have a random gimmick boss pop up? I thought those were gone. I got killed by that bitch fucktard Tyketto who happens to one shot everyone with super retarded projectiles, I want an explanation and my money back. Also, I need some water for my salt...
You're upset you lost to me. The Legend conquered hyper Alucard.

Flareon
Banned
Banned: Permanently

Post by Flareon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:04 am

lolnub

fr blood

Post by fr blood » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:13 am

Nerfing the turrets when the Wendigo stay very usefull for his price compare to more expensive units like Mech Walker/Maximus, they won all duel against the strong units, are some the complainers blind ?

I hope you already fight a spam of yeti, seing ur bosses being killed instanly...
Last edited by fr blood on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Post by Slyfox » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:10 pm

...What? I haven't used hexen or seen it played recently, but iirc yetis are pretty expensive and only really destroy at close-mid range; mesh walkers are better at long range and maximus... eh you got me there (although they hurt like fuck regardless of their slow attack speed)

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:17 pm

Yeti's can hurt themselves, for some reason, too.

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Post by Slyfox » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:11 pm

I actually forgot about that since I don't normally play hexen

Mr. Repo

Post by Mr. Repo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:19 pm

fr blood wrote: Nerfing the turrets when the Wendigo stay very usefull for his price compare to more expensive units like Mech Walker/Maximus, they won all duel against the strong units, are some the complainers blind ?

I hope you already fight a spam of yeti, seing ur bosses being killed instanly...
I barely understood that, but what I'm gathering is basically you're saying that a ghosted monster beats monsters that for the most part can't hit ghosts, cost more, have different roles and that's a basis for change. I really don't understand the issue here to be blunt. You put down a few ghost monsters and Yetis fall fairly quickly.

To expand a bit more upon what Slyfox said: Meshwalkers are pretty awesome tower defense monsters and excel in longer distances. They're also monsters at mid range tower defense. Yeti/Wendigos are at their best at close to mid range usually on the ground, and Maximus are at their best in a tower or large crowd of flemoids for support. They can't hit ghosts, but they shoot over most other low tier Chex monsters, do ridiculous damage and have the most HP of any non hero monster in the game. My point is none of those guys are candidates of being a good way to gauge the Yetis strength ESPECIALLY at a close range duel where Yetis are at their best. The only thing close off the top of my head would be the Mancubus, but the difference there is it's not a ghost and it can hit ghosts when upgraded so they can't really be directly compared either.
Ivan wrote: Yeti's can hurt themselves, for some reason, too.
Actually that bug was fixed quite a while ago.
Last edited by Mr. Repo on Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fr blood

Post by fr blood » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:10 pm

Mr. Repo wrote: Actually that bug was fixed quite a while ago.
And what about the Inquisitor ? When you use him most of the damage that he takes are from his grenades, can't you do something about that ?

Mr. Repo

Post by Mr. Repo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:41 pm

Actually that bug was fixed quite a while ago, too.

That was one of the very first changes I made from the last Ventris era release.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:37 am

Couple complaints:

- Why does Spectre A and B share the same cap? That makes no sense...
- Spectre A and B have such low mass, when I try to teleport them I just push them around, this needs urgent attention IMO.
- Entity is hard to get to go to certain places and it's even harder to teleport it because of it's AI. Something should be possibly done about this, like giving Strife the ranged teleport as well or something.

Mr. Repo

Post by Mr. Repo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:05 am

-That's a bug. You can set the CVar "SpectreALimit" to 8 as a temporary solution until it's fixed.

-I've left their mass like this because I feel their ability to be shoved around kind of makes them a bit more resilient and less fragile. I'll still poke around with it a bit and see what I can do.

-I had a prerelease version where every class had projectiles for teleporting. It was an absolute disaster for balance overall so that's why it was changed to the way it is currently. If I do change this the number of times you can teleport a monster will be limited. I stand by this decision and won't be swayed. However this isn't the first time I've been requested to change it back to projectiles so what I'm going to do is make that option a CVar for the next release without limiting anything. Players definitely should have the option especially since it was originally introduced that way to being with.

Oh and to reply to a previous post and since I brought up CVars a few times, you actually can turn off map based bosses and monsters via CVars as well. For Tyketto's Den, the Cvar is "ZDWars26 Boss" and setting it to 1 will prevent Tyketto from spawning.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:54 pm

Cool thanks for the CVar information, hadn't known!

Arctangent

Post by Arctangent » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:06 pm

I was kind of surprised to look at how Flem spores are created when I got curious and took a peek at the code. I'd just thought they came out of the producer, not that they were projectile-based. Have you considered making their summon projectile visible? It feels like being able to see how your flem spore production is happening would let Chex players better plot out their producer placement, as well as giving them a better idea where their horde will end up.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Are missile trails and other effects clientsided in this?

Mr. Repo

Post by Mr. Repo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:48 am

Arctangent wrote: I was kind of surprised to look at how Flem spores are created when I got curious and took a peek at the code. I'd just thought they came out of the producer, not that they were projectile-based. Have you considered making their summon projectile visible? It feels like being able to see how your flem spore production is happening would let Chex players better plot out their producer placement, as well as giving them a better idea where their horde will end up.
Well the way I see it there really isn't a way to help plot the spores out even with seen projectiles. The Flem Meteor is about the only thing I could see the benefit from this, but even then since the spores projectiles spawn randomly in a 360° radius there still is no real way to track where they end up. Then take into account the spores having minds of their own... I dunno I just honestly can't really see how this would benefit that much seeing how its so random.

However I will try it out regardless to see if it makes a difference and if it does, I'll change it for the next revision. Not making any guarantees though.

Ivan: To my knowledge, everything that could be made clientsided has been done so. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong though.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:33 am

Do strife trails have this clientside? Where are the trail objects?