[REL] MadcatSieges

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
fr blood
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

RE: [REL] MadcatSieges

Post by fr blood » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:32 pm

madcat wrote: As for the monster that would harvest resources for its player - i dont think that this is a good idea.
In all strategic games, players need haversters, Look AoW 2, when a player is always harvesting the team get a nice advantage, it's the same in Command & Conquer, Age of Empire, ...

So I think that is a good idea.

madcat
Forum Regular
Clan Tag: [Sun]

Post by madcat » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks for the advices on the IRC, Blood. I will try to create the harvest monster.
Last edited by madcat on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:15 pm

I tried it, but somehow I could not have managed to do it. The monster does not treat me as his master probably. I will try to make team colors instead, so players would recognize their own troops.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:53 pm

I have finished a new version of the Sieges. Now, there are 4 players total:
BetaguyNormalColor
BetaguyRed
BetaguyBlue
TutorialPlayer

All monsters, walls and towers are now recolored, so it is easy to recognize your own troops.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jl1c72

Also, if anyone puts this mod on a BE server again, please do not name it "Age of Zdoomwars" again.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:42 pm

A new version of the Sieges had been finished - http://www.sendspace.com/file/cfur20

Players now look like kings (Peasants from Strife, with crown and cloak)
Last edited by madcat on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Thu May 01, 2014 6:06 am

I have started working on the Sieges again. Im going to make some map markers indicating the resources.

Lord_of_D:
Posts a lot

Post by Lord_of_D: » Thu May 01, 2014 9:49 pm

madcat wrote: I have started working on the Sieges again. Im going to make some map markers indicating the resources.
cool, i'll expect some new and creative monsters, you have talent for this, FOR REAL!

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Fri May 02, 2014 4:41 am

Thank you. I have started working on some monsters indeed. But they will not be "new" at all. I want to create two factions of the monsters.
First faction would be humans - normal troops will look like a peasant from Strife, with medieval war clothing. Upgraded troops will look like Cleric from Hexen.
Second faction would be monsters - most of them are already in the current version. I will add Troglodyte spearman, Troglodyte Hoplite, Troglodyte Flailer (for non-upgraded maceman) and the upgraded mummies will look the same, just with different color of their skin.
Btw, I have started hosting the Sieges on a BE server.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Sat May 03, 2014 8:28 am

I have finished a new version, called MadcatSiegesCastleFightBeta. Now, the Sieges are made for Team LMS only. Every player starts with a CastleSummoner. When he successfully summons a castle, he gains all the other weapons and items. When his castle falls, or if the player fails summoning it, all the members of his team die.
Last edited by madcat on Tue May 06, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Sat May 10, 2014 7:27 am

A new version finished. Now, when a castle falls, only his creator dies, not the whole team as before (It required more than 2000 strings of DECORATE so some bugs may appear, although I have found none so far).
- Several team color mishaps fixed
- Tower has now more health.
- One-headed Ettin mercenary has fixed attack (he caused full damage to armored units before).
- Players can now choose the color of their cloak, as if they were not in team. Their remaining clothing, however, remains in the color of their team.
- some map bugs fixed

The new version is called MadcatSiegesRegicide1 and it can be found on BE.
Last edited by madcat on Sat May 10, 2014 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Sat May 10, 2014 7:06 pm

madcat wrote: It required more than 2000 strings of DECORATE
and for what logical reason did you not use ACS for this?
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

uggi121
Forum Regular

Post by uggi121 » Sat May 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Because ACS is used in maps and DECORATE if you want to establish the concept into your whole wad
"I want to learn French. Hope I'm taught how to gif French kiss."

Delta
New User

Post by Delta » Sun May 11, 2014 3:17 am

You should probably add different races, with the monsters you made in the pack.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Sun May 11, 2014 10:06 am

uggi121 wrote: Because ACS is used in maps and DECORATE if you want to establish the concept into your whole wad
the ACS part is wrong, terribly, but I understand why you think that way as I did that too once.
The thing is that ACS can be put directly into the map and the map will open that specific ACS on load and thereby having that ACS being map specific.
BUT you can use your ACC to compile ACS OUTSIDE OF DB and thereby have it not be map specific, then you just need to throw it into your pk3 and make an autoload lump with the .o files name in it to load it.

In other words, using DECORATE to make something work globally is just a hacky workaround that should be avoided.

If you don't believe me, then open aow2 in slade, you will notice the autoload lump and the acs_source folder, and that all the map have map specific scripts in them only, not the globally used game handling scripts.
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Sun May 11, 2014 12:13 pm

Yes, I'm going to put some races there. One race will be humans, second race will be monsters. I have some basic sprites for them made already, but it will take some time before I finish them all. Also, I think I have discovered a way how to control your troops' movements. I will experiment with some DECORATE functions and if I will be successful, then I will try to make a weapon that would control the monsters - like "go forward", "go back", "go to fight melee" and so on.

uggi121
Forum Regular

Post by uggi121 » Sun May 11, 2014 1:26 pm

Ok well I got that wrong. But please tell me, is it possible to make a monster using ACS ?
"I want to learn French. Hope I'm taught how to gif French kiss."

HexaDoken
Forum Regular

Post by HexaDoken » Sun May 11, 2014 2:40 pm

If you punch it hard enough, it might be possible to make a "monster" using pure ACS. It will probably be very silly, however.

However, actual monsters CAN use ACS scripts succesfully, which can be a great help when you start doing more complex things. Which is pretty much everything you're doing.

Delta
New User

Post by Delta » Mon May 12, 2014 12:04 am

you may but not like this but, you can choose different paths for each troop. for example the swordsman can take a armored path or damage path

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Thu May 15, 2014 6:47 am

Im sure that DECORATE can't do the thing I need to be done (fixing one serious bug), so until my colleague who knows ACS returns, I will work on some maps and try to make the new faction. But the new version will not be finished until the bug is fixed.
The bug is - when a player disconnects or spectates without being killed, his castle (and probably all the other troops) start attacking his team-mates.
I will play Stronghold Crusader for some map inspiration.

fr blood
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by fr blood » Thu May 15, 2014 6:13 pm

I get a look on your wad, I think you can raise the amount of items that the buildings will refine for you, for example:
- Actually you drop one wood for one bow, or one iron for one armor.
To make this mode more interesting, I think it should be better to do that:
- you drop a big wood that cost 5 amount and the building reffine it 5~7 bows, same thing with others objects.
After that, you should make some defense units, like another towers, but a little smallers, because setting archer on stone wall is, how to say that "nice", but hard to make, with the gameplay of zandronum.