[REL] MadcatSieges

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
madcat
Forum Regular
Clan Tag: [Sun]

RE: [REL] MadcatSieges

Post by madcat » Sat May 17, 2014 3:20 pm

Yes Blood, making a small tower is exactly what am I planning to do - a summonball that spawns two big wall stones, one on the top of another, with an archer on the top. It will cost 20 stone, 1 bow and 12 gold.
As for the "spawn a log that cost 5 wood and provides 5 bows" or like, I do not think that it is a good idea, because it makes the whole gameplay much easier - it should take some time before the weapons are finished at the workshops, just like in real life. Maybe a log that would need to be shot 5 times by the workshop's "red ball" before spawning 5 bows or like... but definitely not the "give 5 wood, get 5 bows in no time"
As for the new faction progress, I need to create several more troops.
I have created a swordsman, a spearman, a knight (a swordsman with shield)
and archer.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Wed May 28, 2014 6:25 am

I have many other things to do, so Im afraid I can not work on the sieges until I finish my duties. I will return working on Sieges, but not before at least 14 days.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:32 am

I have some business IRL so I can not work on the Sieges anymore, so I guess I can announce that Im abandoning the project. I will return working on it sometimes, but I have no idea when it will be.

Lord_of_D:
Posts a lot

Post by Lord_of_D: » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:35 pm

madcat wrote: I have some business IRL so I can not work on the Sieges anymore, so I guess I can announce that Im abandoning the project. I will return working on it sometimes, but I have no idea when it will be.
that sux, but oh well, we most have our priorities. If you would like you can release what you have unfinished so far, people may use it as a "source" for their own ideas, but is just a sugestion of course

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:21 pm

Well to be honest, the last version I have "released" on the BE server was the very last one - I have not made any modifications since that one. I have made some plans for a new version, but nothing else. If anyone would like to create his/her own version of the Sieges, I have some sprites of the unfinished new faction, so if anyone needs any of my sprites, ask me.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:34 pm

I have learnt some basic ACS (Many thanks to all the people who helped me with them) and thanks to that, I was able to improve Sieges a bit.

The only bug I know about in this version is that Shield/Sword units can get stuck in the attacking state, fighting an imaginary foe.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3m9fn1rmtdi14 ... 2.wad?dl=0

Now in in order to start the "your castle dies ---) you die" thing, the mod requires Team Damage 1. Now I can say that the mod is 100% playable and virtually bugless (At least I hope so).

Im working on a new version already. The new features shall be:

1. - Purple arrows indicating that there is a wooden log (or any other resource) ready to be picked.

2. - Two new walls in masonry:
1 - double wall (simply two wall stones, one on the top of the other)
2 - tripple wall (the same, but with three wall stones).

3. - Several new textures (mostly from Hexen)

4. - Radius of Weapon Smith buildings reduced

5. - Castle Oil attack can hurt defending monsters (+FOILINVUL)

6. - Players start with 10 Bread, 100 Stone, 200 Gold, 25 Wood, 5 Iron

Also, I need to do something about one trollish tactics some people use - spawning their castle too close to enemy.
Last edited by madcat on Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:09 am

I have fixed many new-found bugs, such as being able to put castles on treetops or other castles/towers, inability to harm defending monsters with boiling oil...
And I have added one new map.
I plan changing the red team into monsters-only faction and the blue team into humans-only faction. These two factions will be the same, since the only difference between human spearman (or any other troop) and his monster counterpart will be their appearance.

I have not finished all the planned monsters yet ( Peasant monsters, Non-upgraded human halberdier...), so I will just replace some monsters in order to distinguish them from others (For example, it is virtually impossible to distinguish Upgraded Archer from Crossbow Imp).

Also, I will give the Ballista a limited attack range and I will increase the damage of Mangonel.

madcat
Forum Regular

Re: [REL] MadcatSieges

Post by madcat » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Im back working on this project. Massive changes have been done since the last released version:
Economy buildings not only spawn resource pick-ups but also transfer the goods directly to the player every 10 second.
Economy buildings work rate decreases with the distance between the building and the Player's castle (not the player himself).
"When a player dies, his castle die and vice versa" system finally works smoothly. Also when a player dies, all his units and buildings disappear.
Ridiculously strong Crossbowman has been nerfed, also he uses a new skin.
One new map added.
Most of the units have been given new speed ( old upgraded Macemen were ridiculously fast ).
Weapon Smith buildings now can manufacture the weapons/armor much smoother ( RIPPER projectiles used )
All the monsters have been given a special AI, making sure they will keep checking whether there is a more suitable target than the one they pursue at that time.
Siege Engines have been given a cooldown while summoning ( spamming Rams directly at castle is no longer so easily performed )
Mace no longer looks like a bad joke when it comes to graphic
Economy buildings and monsters have new sound ( sound of sawing, mining, "Your Orders?" and "Yes sir" for monsters )
For each 20 units the player have, 1 piece of bread is taken from him every 3 seconds. If the player does not have any bread left in this state, he will slowly lose health ( you need to feed your army you know - and if there is no food left you die to starvation )

Unfortunatelly, I have found some crucial bugs that require time to fix ( Baron-at-arms unable to spawn , Monsters occassionally attack trees ) as well as a few more things that should be done in order to prevent trolling and awkward situations ( make walls and towers have some build-up time )and some better graphic for few things ( Castle Boiling Oil, One-headed ettin, some weapons ) before I release a new version on this forum ( the last version is not smooth yet)

In the future I plan to add these unusual features:
- Global monster upgrade ( for example, an upgrade that increases the attack of all the player's melee monsters...or an upgrade that increases the health of his walls )
- Civilizations (like in Age Of Empires), each with its own unique units and unique bonuses, such as "your lumber camps work 20% faster" or "your ranged units have 50% more health"
- Hoplites are going to get an armor bonus whenever they stand close enough to an allied hoplite ( This is supposed to represent protecting each other with shields, like in the Phalanx )
- Halberdier is going to decrease the move speed and attack speed of the monster he hits.

and most importantly
I want to make it possible to, at least partially, control the monsters ( like "stand ground" / "aggresive stance" )

Wish me luck - this is going to take a lot of work. ( Im abandoning my RPG project for this, at least for now).

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:10 pm

A new version has been finished - https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzaqflkc3yx6g ... .wad?raw=1
What's new:
Hoplites get armor if they stand close to allied Hoplites
Halberdiers and Minotaurs (aka Moon Lords) decrease the attack speed of monsters they hit ( Baron-at-arms, Javelin Thrower, Archer, Crossbowman and Siege weapons are immune to this)
Two special keys to bind in the customize controls - "Aggresive Stance" and "Stand Ground" - these keys fire a special missile that will change the behavior of your monsters
Walls and Towers have decreased health while being built
Walls and Towers have new "being built" animation
Castle Boiling Oil has new animation

Mehnrues
New User

Post by Mehnrues » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:24 am

I remember you and me playing this mod a lot of time ago, it was great.