[DEAD] Deathrun

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.

What if 16+ players are playing?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Total votes: 0

Josse

RE: Deathrun

Post by Josse » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:51 pm

Yellowtail wrote:
Josse wrote:
Yellowtail wrote: Personally, I think that would be a bit tedious, if not unnecessary. Why? Well, think of it this way: What would happen if only one of the runners gets through and not two? It's still technically one game, but with a second activator and second version of the map.
If one gets through, both activators would die. Yes, it'll be quite tedious to code it in with existing maps, but who knows! Maybe it it'll be worth it.

EDIT: Hmm, or maybe AEnima's idea would be better, since its much more simple, and practically the same thing.
Here's the catch: One of the maps (forget which) has two sets of mines. How's one supposed to reactivate those traps? (Personally, I think this should just stay as is)

And there's another map that has plasma constantly coming out of the wall at certain intervals. You can't really "reactivate" the trap there.

Oh, and speaking of traps, the rocket trap (not rocket marine trap) in the first map doesn't show a red button like the others do. Plus, it's the only switch where you can't actually walk over once you press it if you do manage to find it.
Ah yes. I seriously have no idea why that trap is lowering by itself. People who have found it have passed it off as a "secret trap"... but I really don't know why. :\

Edit: Oops, totally forgot to answer what you mainly said lol.
Hmm, To reactivate those, it would just have to wait for the trap to be over, then the red button will rise again.
Rabbit lord wrote: Yo, played this last night and it was really addictive (in a good way). Said I'd make a map and am doing so now. What I was wondering though is that this is not really new user friendly. First time being activator I had no clue what any of the switches did and of course ended up losing very quickly. I'd suggest something like a marker to show what each switch does. or at least the area trap is good for.

It's a given most players will figure everything out on their own but this is just an idea. I am including these in my map though ;D
Oh, this is a great idea! No idea why I haven't though of this earlier. >.< I shall add that to the rest of the maps (If you don't mind D:)
Last edited by Josse on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects

Dead shit

Rabbit lord
Forum Regular

Post by Rabbit lord » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:13 pm

Josse wrote:I shall add that to the rest of the maps (If you don't mind D:)
I don't mind. Seems like something everyone would benefit from.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:06 am

I have an alternative to the 16+ players case. Choose a set of 16 players first, let them play the map on their own. When done, do not skip the map, make them spectators and let the other 16 bunch join the game. I think it's the simplest in terms of map editing.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Krispy

Post by Krispy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:35 am

My solution would be to simply lower the amount of people on the server. But I think it's best to leave this problem alone. Solving it could cause more problems than before.

Josse

Post by Josse » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:37 am

Hey, I updated the Map template. It includes the new Activator system with two people, and from what I tested, it seems as if it works.
Current Projects

Dead shit

Rabbit lord
Forum Regular

Post by Rabbit lord » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:33 am

Oh, two activators. well it seems like I was prepared >:D but not for the script conflictions D:

Just need to see if they can work together and not have one player press all the switches :/ (they can split in the second area)

Josse

Post by Josse » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Dayum, nice map! But one question, do the activators activate the same traps, or do they have two different sets of traps?
Current Projects

Dead shit

Rabbit lord
Forum Regular

Post by Rabbit lord » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks :D, only the first area (shown in pic) are the same, once they get to the area past the lift the activators can take a split path and activate more sets of traps. Also, I didn't know if I could use 3d floors or not since it wasn't specified in your post but saw some of your maps have them :<
Last edited by Rabbit lord on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josse

Post by Josse » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:46 pm

Ah, sorry about that. I'll edit that right now.

Also... I forgot to update the text/comments on the bottom after I updated the map... :|
It should say

/////Trap Scripts start at 14. LAST ONE ALIVE, LOCK THE DOOR!
//Tags 1 - 7 are used.
//Hudmessages 0 - 5 are used
//Dont go past 998 tags!
//Happy Mapping!

I'm sorry if I screw some people up. :(

EDIT: If you're unable to changes tags, or the script confuses you, just throw me a PM and I'll try and help you update/fix your map. Sorry!
Last edited by Josse on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects

Dead shit

Krispy

Post by Krispy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:51 am

Screenies!
thumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnail

Those red rings are bad news.
Last edited by Krispy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaminsky
Developer

Post by Kaminsky » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:49 am

I'm thinking about creating a map for this modification. Would it be alright if I add additional textures or sprites as part of my map?

Josse

Post by Josse » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:24 am

Dr.Robotnik wrote: I'm thinking about creating a map for this modification. Would it be alright if I add additional textures or sprites as part of my map?
Yeah, go ahead. Just as long as if you delete the textures/sprites you don't use afterwards. I can merge it in.
Krispy wrote: Screenies!
thumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnail

Those red rings are bad news.
Woah, this is freakin' awesome! The camera idea is real neat! Is it almost finished? I can't wait to test it out xD
Current Projects

Dead shit

CloudFlash
Zandrone

Post by CloudFlash » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:37 am

Why should activators have 2 sets of identical buttons? :/ How about that: when 16+ players join, second activator is chosen, and he goes to the other side of runners' path to activate his own set of traps. Ofc, traps would be diffrent than first set of traps. This idea is better, imo, because then you can randomise where does activator end up when he is alone, so it's harder to foresee what will pop up - a hole in the floor or a marines squad :P
EDIT: I wanna map for this so hard, but I'm currently making a wdi map... ;_;
Last edited by CloudFlash on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://i.imgflip.com/i5tpe.jpg
*Hey, who wants to hear my solution to the modern world's problems? ^Me! %Me! @Me! #Me! *WELL TOO BAD @Did he just stab himself with this butcher knife? %Looks like it ^Hey, the pizza guy arrived! %Pizza! Yey

agaures
Forum Regular

Post by agaures » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:31 am

You could use this as an alternative to Rabbit Lord's switch idea:

or:

<agaures> I'm guessing you haven't played many doom mods before huh? :p
<Zuplin> i have played master of puppets zombies doom center and a couple more
<agaures> so not many
<Zuplin> i thought that was everything

Rabbit lord
Forum Regular

Post by Rabbit lord » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 am

CloudFlash wrote: Why should activators have 2 sets of identical buttons? :/
They don't have to map out identical buttons for each activator. My map is like that in the beginning, but it will have an optional split path the second activator (or first) can take that will have a different set of traps.

@agaures: looks neat, so far I've made a few icons for my traps. I may use your texture idea if I get time.
Last edited by Rabbit lord on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luke
Forum Regular

Post by Luke » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:09 pm

If 16+ people are playing allow the activator to activate the traps twice (or even more than twice).

My only suggestion is actually to let the activator to use the traps infinite times, or at least to make the traps activable a number of times equals to the runner's number, forcing a delay between the end of the trap's animation and the next activation (so that the activator can't spam traps).

As it works in most of CSS deathrun maps. =)

Krispy

Post by Krispy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:44 pm

Josse wrote: Woah, this is freakin' awesome! The camera idea is real neat! Is it almost finished? I can't wait to test it out xD
Well, I've got 5.5 traps finished so far. Unfortunately, I started before the two activator plan was made, so it'll have to be modified.

Josse

Post by Josse » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:47 pm

I've updated the first post, with a new template. Don't worry, you shouldn't have to update your map again.

Hmm, I decided on two different kinds of maps:
Map Extension and Double Activator
Map Extension basically extends the map when a runner reaches the end, and there were 16+ Players in the game. Much more simpler, and easier to incorporate to already existing maps.

Double Activator is where two activators are chosen when 16+ Players are in-game. The activators have their own unique traps, and should never see each other until they win. When they are the last two alive, the game will warp them to a duel area, where they will battle to see which is the last man standing.
Current Projects

Dead shit

ibm5155
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by ibm5155 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:31 pm

what about two activators when there´re like 20 or more players? but each one could activate a different kind of trap...
hmm the map on the old age with giang balls coming from sky, the ending trap sucks for me '-' all the guys who entered on it survived =/

also i liked the agaures screenshot :D
Projects
Cursed Maze: DONE, V2.0
Zombie Horde - ZM09 map update: [3/15/13]
Need help with English? Then you've come to the right place!

<this post is proof of "Decline">

Josse

Post by Josse » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:25 am

ibm5155 wrote: hmm the map on the old age with giang balls coming from sky, the ending trap sucks for me '-' all the guys who entered on it survived =/

also i liked the agaures screenshot :D
Yeah, don't worry. The players were able to jump on the villager's heads, but I fixed it so now it'll be really hard to survive it. :)
Current Projects

Dead shit