[DEAD] Deathrun

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.

What if 16+ players are playing?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Total votes: 0

Krispy

RE: Deathrun

Post by Krispy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:38 am

Well, Josse, here you go. It's on DEATH11. You might want to rework the level transition/exit part of the scripts (I didn't set it to go to my map because I wasn't sure if the placement was final). I think it's bug-free, but obviously testing makes perfect. My one fear is that all the cameras will make it lag. It's really fun to play against bots (for me at least), so hopefully it's even better online!
Last edited by Krispy on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josse

Post by Josse » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:20 am

Krispy wrote: Well, Josse, here you go. It's on DEATH11. You might want to rework the level transition/exit part of the scripts (I didn't set it to go to my map because I wasn't sure if the placement was final). I think it's bug-free, but obviously testing makes perfect. My one fear is that all the cameras will make it lag. It's really fun to play against bots (for me at least), so hopefully it's even better online!
OH man, I can't wait to test it. I'll tell you how it goes!

EDIT: thumbnail

This is freakin awesome!! Expect this to definatly be in DeathRunV10. :D
Great job on the map!
Last edited by Josse on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects

Dead shit

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:35 pm

Josse wrote:
Krispy wrote: Well, Josse, here you go. It's on DEATH11. You might want to rework the level transition/exit part of the scripts (I didn't set it to go to my map because I wasn't sure if the placement was final). I think it's bug-free, but obviously testing makes perfect. My one fear is that all the cameras will make it lag. It's really fun to play against bots (for me at least), so hopefully it's even better online!

Great job on the map!
Nice, could be used as a reference to the events in Turkey. :D
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Krispy

Post by Krispy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:20 pm

Josse wrote:

Great job on the map!
Great to hear! I made a couple of touch-ups, mostly aesthetic, but also added a wall to prevent people with the time-bomb from rushing. I didn't change the scripts or any DECORATE/SNDINFO. Just the map part.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ef17b ... 282%29.wad
Last edited by Krispy on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josse

Post by Josse » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:28 pm

Krispy wrote:
Josse wrote:

Great job on the map!
Great to hear! I made a couple of touch-ups, mostly aesthetic, but also added a wall to prevent people with the time-bomb from rushing. I didn't change the scripts or any DECORATE/SNDINFO. Just the map part.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ef17b ... 282%29.wad
Alright, I'll be sure to update it.

EDIT: Edited template again. Really bad bug when I was beta testing, but it was a really easy fix. Just continue your map as is, and I can simply add when you send it to me. :3

EDIT 2: Beta test went swell, updated first post.
Last edited by Josse on Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects

Dead shit

EnsaladaDeTomate

Post by EnsaladaDeTomate » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:19 pm

ppl want moar mapz!

Echo
Forum Regular
Clan: Red Bullet Pact
Clan Tag: [RBP]

Post by Echo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:04 pm

Regarding the whole "how to balance the game when it's practically impossible to kill all the Runners", why not introduce some sort of "x% must survive"?

Okay, so it probably won't be workable on every map, but it might be worth consideration.
H ELLO AM 48 YEAR MAN FROM SOMALIA. SORRY FOR BAD ENGLAND. I SELLED MY WIFE FOR INTERNET CONNECTION FOR PLAY AND I WANT TO BECOME THE GOODEST PLAYER LIKE YO U

Monsterovich
Forum Regular

Post by Monsterovich » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:57 pm

I thought what drun dead :)

Good:
+ Cooperative mode
+ More maps

Fatal problem: every map have own base script. It's very terrible! And your acs code sucks like in previous versions.

How to fix:
1.Create ONE base script. Give name to it, for example: deathrun.acs. There are all general stuff: line scripts, player teleports, win events and etc.

Code: Select all

#library "deathrun"
#include "zcommon.acs"

script 999 (int time) //Line script for deathrunners, will be activated by some line on the map
{
survtime += time
}

... //and etc
Other MAP stuff will be in map code.

Code: Select all

#include "zcommon.acs"
#import "deathrun"

script 1 (void) //Activator has pressed trap button
{
}

... // more
2.Compile it :D And delete old code from the maps.
Last edited by Monsterovich on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krispy

Post by Krispy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:12 pm

^Good idea. But I understand some of the maps require different acs than others.

Cyber'
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: The Professionals
Clan Tag: <PRO>

Post by Cyber' » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:52 am

Me and my brother Rabbitlord were discussing some things while at work today. A lot of the traps are interesting, but we were discussing more traps that are based on the runners as well.

Example: a pitfall that has demons in it can be set by the activator, and the one who falls into the pit and gets "caught" would have to find some sort of switch to 'deactivate' the trap. If the player dies, another has to go in and follow suit by deactivating the trap, or die trying. This could help prevent the whole "one trap per runner" deal that happens in most maps, and it adds more variety and tension for both the activator and the runner. The "switch" to deactivate the trap could be randomly spawned to keep things tense and unknowning so the first player can still die unless lucky, and the activator could have more mini switches that do different things in the trap, like one switch to spawn cacos, and another for imps, etc....

TL;DR - Indiana Jones style traps.

Just ideas we're throwing out.
Also multiple trap effects are good as long as they're not one of those "okay I'm at the middle of the trap I'm an hero" style traps.

EDIT: Very funny krispy.
Last edited by Cyber' on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Projects completed : PROCTF, Jump Maze, Tricky ST. RJX.Jump Maze X
Newest Project : Nothing at present.

Jumpmaze X post is here viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9981&p=115929#p115929
I always love these calm moments before the storm...

katZune
Forum Regular

Post by katZune » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:52 am

i like the cyber idea :) i support that
Whitout a good PC ATM, i will back when 2.0 come out, :)
Spoiler: The True (Open)
Ijon Tichy wrote:
Catastrophe wrote: Banned on grandvoid for trolling Zombie Horde and all out war (blocking, destroying my own base, etc)
Kicked from El Zoido's all out war for nuking our teams base
Kicked again from el Zoido's server for fucking up the warfactory so bad that mechs couldn't spawn anymore
I see no offenses here

only justice

Krispy

Post by Krispy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:53 am

Your parents chose strange names for you and your brother.

BloodyAcid
Forum Regular

Post by BloodyAcid » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:49 am

Would the possibility of having 2 activators and 2 groups of runners be forseeable in the future for a large group of players?

CloudFlash
Zandrone

Post by CloudFlash » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:39 am

Cyber wrote: Example: a pitfall that has demons in it can be set by the activator, and the one who falls into the pit and gets "caught" would have to find some sort of switch to 'deactivate' the trap. If the player dies, another has to go in and follow suit by deactivating the trap, or die trying. This could help prevent the whole "one trap per runner" deal that happens in most maps, and it adds more variety and tension for both the activator and the runner. The "switch" to deactivate the trap could be randomly spawned to keep things tense and unknowning so the first player can still die unless lucky, and the activator could have more mini switches that do different things in the trap, like one switch to spawn cacos, and another for imps, etc....
Hm, this actualy could be quite good idea for the last trap. For example after that Archvile jump, or after froggy styled demons.
https://i.imgflip.com/i5tpe.jpg
*Hey, who wants to hear my solution to the modern world's problems? ^Me! %Me! @Me! #Me! *WELL TOO BAD @Did he just stab himself with this butcher knife? %Looks like it ^Hey, the pizza guy arrived! %Pizza! Yey

elmo

Post by elmo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:20 pm

to me, deathrun could use some work but is the best wad that to me is actually fun

Flaminglacier

Post by Flaminglacier » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:21 pm

I am not too great with ACS :( so if I were to map a level for you and only added the acs for the traps, do you think you would be able to add in the acs for the activator and basic gameplay?

Screenracer

Post by Screenracer » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:33 pm

Im going to create a map for this. :biggrin:

Echo
Forum Regular

Post by Echo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:35 pm

After several hours of playing, a big problem I've noticed is that there aren't enough 'passive' dangers or obstacles (pitfalls, crushers, projectiles, etc.) in most maps to give an Activator any breathing room and stop Runners from just jump-strafing to the exit without giving a fuck. In other words, if a Runner manages to sneak by the Activator (incredibly easy when there's a clusterfuck of 10+ Runners), then it's probably GG & nextmap because that's the end of the round right there. There's rarely anything present in the map to slow the Runners down at all. Not only that, but the current system just allows Runners to go along one-by-one like Lemmings, either passing the traps because the Activator wants to wait and try to rack up kills from a trap, or being a sole victim and letting the next 10 Runners wander on by safely. Maps like Space Station address this issue to a degree with the dumb-luck "pick a spaceship" moment, but I don't think turning every map into a series of blind guessing games is the answer.

So, instead of the proposed method of having two Activators, or only allowing a trap to be pressed once/twice, why not allow infinite use of certain traps but with a cooldown period? For the most part this would do a lot to deal with the "one-by-one" strategy, but at the same time it wouldn't allow the bigger traps to be spammed to the point of making a map unwinnable. In other words, how many times a trap can be used should be up to the mapper, but can still be changed for the purpose of balancing a map out properly.

Speaking of maps, some of them need work or are just shit. Hell Collapse in particular is a boring bag of soggy dicks that relies on the worst sort of luck regarding that poorly-designed Arch-Vile Jump section. Time and time again I've seen everyone just get lobbed to the right or left and miss the end platform (or plateform as the map calls it) completely. Seriously, 45 seconds of that is evidence of mapping trash that had barely any thought put into it. Put the AV's behind the player. Make the jump longer. Holy shit it works and actually relies on some degree of player timing.
Last edited by Echo on Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H ELLO AM 48 YEAR MAN FROM SOMALIA. SORRY FOR BAD ENGLAND. I SELLED MY WIFE FOR INTERNET CONNECTION FOR PLAY AND I WANT TO BECOME THE GOODEST PLAYER LIKE YO U

Josse

Post by Josse » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:52 am

Oh dear, I've missed a lot since I've been gone.
Echo wrote: After several hours of playing, a big problem I've noticed is that there aren't enough 'passive' dangers or obstacles (pitfalls, crushers, projectiles, etc.) in most maps to give an Activator any breathing room and stop Runners from just jump-strafing to the exit without giving a fuck. In other words, if a Runner manages to sneak by the Activator (incredibly easy when there's a clusterfuck of 10+ Runners), then it's probably GG & nextmap because that's the end of the round right there. There's rarely anything present in the map to slow the Runners down at all. Not only that, but the current system just allows Runners to go along one-by-one like Lemmings, either passing the traps because the Activator wants to wait and try to rack up kills from a trap, or being a sole victim and letting the next 10 Runners wander on by safely. Maps like Space Station address this issue to a degree with the dumb-luck "pick a spaceship" moment, but I don't think turning every map into a series of blind guessing games is the answer.

So, instead of the proposed method of having two Activators, or only allowing a trap to be pressed once/twice, why not allow infinite use of certain traps but with a cooldown period? For the most part this would do a lot to deal with the "one-by-one" strategy, but at the same time it wouldn't allow the bigger traps to be spammed to the point of making a map unwinnable. In other words, how many times a trap can be used should be up to the mapper, but can still be changed for the purpose of balancing a map out properly.
I actually have to agree with the "cooldown" trap thing. Runners who always stay behind scared may be punished for sitting in the back, and simply waiting for someone to sacrifice. Recently, I've updated the server with one map having the new "Double Activator". The activators actually won several times if they worked together (There is a platform that when activated, one side breaks into lava. The other activator destroys the other side).

Speaking of maps, some of them need work or are just shit. Hell Collapse in particular is a boring bag of soggy dicks that relies on the worst sort of luck regarding that poorly-designed Arch-Vile Jump section. Time and time again I've seen everyone just get lobbed to the right or left and miss the end platform (or plateform as the map calls it) completely. Seriously, 45 seconds of that is evidence of mapping trash that had barely any thought put into it. Put the AV's behind the player. Make the jump longer. Holy shit it works and actually relies on some degree of player timing.
[/quote]

Wow, now that I actually think about it- or at least think at all, that map really does suck. It has only 5 traps. Everyone else is killed with that jump. I was thinking about added archviles behind them on a 3D-Floor, but this was when I was un-sure if 3D floors were allowed in software.
Monsterovich wrote: I thought what drun dead :)

Good:
+ Cooperative mode
+ More maps

Fatal problem: every map have own base script. It's very terrible! And your acs code sucks like in previous versions.

How to fix:
1.Create ONE base script. Give name to it, for example: deathrun.acs. There are all general stuff: line scripts, player teleports, win events and etc.

Global Script
Back when I started Deathrun, I didn't know how to use these Gobal scripts at all, and I just thought to myself, whats the difference? But now, after DeathRun has other map submissions and updates, it becomes a jumbled mess. The reason why I havn't updated it, was simply because I was lazy. But now that I have released a stable version of Deathrun, I guess I can start on re-working all the maps thoroughly.
Cyber wrote: Me and my brother Rabbitlord were discussing some things while at work today. A lot of the traps are interesting, but we were discussing more traps that are based on the runners as well.

Example: a pitfall that has demons in it can be set by the activator, and the one who falls into the pit and gets "caught" would have to find some sort of switch to 'deactivate' the trap. If the player dies, another has to go in and follow suit by deactivating the trap, or die trying. This could help prevent the whole "one trap per runner" deal that happens in most maps, and it adds more variety and tension for both the activator and the runner. The "switch" to deactivate the trap could be randomly spawned to keep things tense and unknowning so the first player can still die unless lucky, and the activator could have more mini switches that do different things in the trap, like one switch to spawn cacos, and another for imps, etc....

TL;DR - Indiana Jones style traps.

Just ideas we're throwing out.
Also multiple trap effects are good as long as they're not one of those "okay I'm at the middle of the trap I'm an hero" style traps.

EDIT: Very funny krispy.
Now this is an awesome idea. It'll give the activator more interaction with the Runners, instead of simply killing them. The mini-switches would be awesome to see ingame.

===

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'll be sure to stop being lazy, and try to work harder!
Last edited by Josse on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects

Dead shit

Echo
Forum Regular

Post by Echo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Josse, check your PM inbox. There's STUFF in there that might be useful.