Mercenaries - progress? suuuuure ...

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

RE: Mercenaries v2.0 - FIRST ALPHA RELEASED!

Post by Ænima » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:04 am

Animal Mother wrote: After picking up or buying a backpack and having my max ammo capacity increased, I still can't buy extra ammo past the original max ammo capacity. E.g. if I have 200/400 9mm rounds, attempting to buy more 9mm rounds will say "You have enough of this item"
Noted. Will be fixed for the next alpha. :D
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

HorribleBadGuy
New User

Post by HorribleBadGuy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:21 am

Got it
Last edited by HorribleBadGuy on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deathisnear24

Post by Deathisnear24 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:15 pm

Internet is out so I will be playing quite a bit of mercs today, hope to find some bugs to squash!
I noticed that a box of 20 shells is $100 while 4 shells are $8 making it $40 to buy 20 shells manually, is this delibarate?
Last edited by Deathisnear24 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capt.J3

Post by Capt.J3 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:28 pm

I have played it, and it was cool! However, I have some cool ideas to improve the gameplay and some advise.

1. Lets try to add attachments to ALL of the weapons.
For example-
. enhanced clips ( larger clips)
. laser pointers (improves aiming)
. Grenade launcher
. bayonets (>:3)
. grips (reduce recoil)
. masterkey (shotgun)
. laser sights
This is all that I can think of in the moment. I could draw all of the attachments for you.
And make it able that you can pay the attachments in the menu. AND PLUS MULTIPLE ATTACHMENTS!!!!

2. (NVM)

3. PLEASE let the bullet shells stay on the ground a bit longer. :(

4.What about my L85a2? ( It's ready, now I am working on the attachments. lol)
Last edited by Capt.J3 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yellowtail
Forum Regular

Post by Yellowtail » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:06 pm

To be frank, there's no more room on the buy menu, so trying to fit it there would be more of a hassle than it already is, unless you want to make all of the blocks SMALLER, which would mean that they're harder to see what they are.

Capt.J3

Post by Capt.J3 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Could you just link the main menu to a sub menu for the attachments, or make a new menu for them? Things like this had been done before, so I don't believe it would be too hard. (yet again, I'm not a skilled coder like Aenima) :\
Last edited by Capt.J3 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HexaDoken
Forum Regular

Post by HexaDoken » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:43 pm

This is much better than what I've seen in previous version. Keep it up bro!

A few things:

1) Prices are really hard to see in several occassions. Either make numbers more visible or draw the price of the currently selected items somewhere on the black background.
2) Descriptions of some items are cut off by the number of current moneyz.
3) The abovemention shells pricing. 20 shells cost 40$ if bought via 4 shells pickups and they cost 100$ when bought in a box. Personally, I agree that a box should cost more than the single ammo pieces, as boxes are much more instant, and are more useful in case of emergency(if you will find yourself completely out of ammo in the middle of a firefight, you're not going to get away with 4 shells, while 20 is a considerable boost, and you don't have much time to buy multiple ammo pickups.). However, the price difference should be small, something like 20% perhaps? But not 250% lol.
4) Berserk kit is underpriced. Seriously, 10hp stimpack, while portable, costs goddamn 100$, while berserk costs just 400$ and is a full heal AND Tyson mode, with the only disadvantage of being not portable.
5) I cannot seem to be able to select grenades. Am I missing something?
Also, I think "select grenade" menu should be a different button. Like, one button lets you select the grenade type and second will just throw the previously selected type.
6) The armor doesn't sound like something that should sit inbetween the weapon in buy menu.
7) Why no heavy weaponry? Miniguns, grenade/rocket launchers? We don't have THAT bad case of "not enough space in buy menu", many weapon icons could fit in lesser block sizes. And the only crowd control weapon we have are grenades.
8) Even if you will leave the block sizes as is, can you make weapons blocks SINGLE-segmented but not 2-3 segmented? That does not contribute to controllability much, and it looks awkward.
9) God I keep running out of damn ammo. You force me to have a spare 500$ in backpack or chainsaw/fist trough everything.
10) EDIT: disregard, that was goddamn stupid lousy equinox font that I forgot to tell to GTFO

I think that's all... for now.
Last edited by HexaDoken on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deathisnear24

Post by Deathisnear24 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:46 pm

HexaDoken wrote:
5) I cannot seem to be able to select grenades. Am I missing something?
Also, I think "select grenade" menu should be a different button. Like, one button lets you select the grenade type and second will just throw the previously selected type.
To select a new nade type hit the key grenades are bound to for you then zandronum's default alt fire to change it.

I think one thing you should add so far is a pistol whip for the normal pistol. It can make it a little more useful, I know the magnum already has it. Or add something special as an alt fire for the pistol, make it a little more useful.
Last edited by Deathisnear24 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:58 pm

Deathisnear24 wrote:To select a new nade type hit the key grenades are bound to for you then zandronum's default alt fire to change it.
Wow, had that problem last night; totally did not see that bind. Thanks!

However, when I started using the arc target, Zandronum crashed. :\
***MARATHON SKINS PACK V1.0.7***

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh.
I have been called a hundred names and will be called
a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold.

Deathisnear24

Post by Deathisnear24 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:50 am

I haven't had this problem. I played about 10 levels of SST with Merc 2 on and nades worked perfectly fine.

ALIENwolve

Post by ALIENwolve » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:21 am

Yeah, I've never had Zan crash simply from aiming a grenade. You may want to look into that crash report.

Catweasel
New User

Post by Catweasel » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:55 am

The lack of menu room issue could be resolved through a second page of stuff.

ClonedPickle
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by ClonedPickle » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:56 am

Any plans on releasing a version that isn't dependent on SST to run?

HexaDoken
Forum Regular

Post by HexaDoken » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:00 am

Also, I love that with good timing you can shoot Mossberg while reloading without actually breaking the reload sequence.

EDIT: Tried this in online coop. Oh holy snaps this is crazy. Spraypaint everywhere too.

Does the pistol have to be THIS weak? I kinda wanted to slay everything with it so I can lay my hands on Saiga quickly but it's so damn useless that I had to scrap this plan before I got even halfway to AK-47.

Attack dogs, on the countary, are powerful as hell. A single pack easily wiping out 5 HKs? Neeeigh.

If we invest sub-menu or gain more menu space some other way, can we have large magnum/sniper ammo pickups in the store? It's kinda long and boring to refill on them buying only 6/2 bullets each time.

The... BFG replacement is fairly OP as well. I could pretty much run around with it and ignore everything.
Last edited by HexaDoken on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Capt.J3

Post by Capt.J3 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:32 pm

Catweasel wrote: The lack of menu room issue could be resolved through a second page of stuff.
^ This.

Konda
Forum Regular

Post by Konda » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:33 pm

I just played this and it's fucking awesome. I had a lot of fun. Also, all the items are very useful. Even the sprayer - I use it to painlock zombies or color stealth monsters so they can't be invisible again :P
...and for creative work

Anyway, here's a demonstration video of how useful the dogs can be:
Spoiler: (Open)
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag

Looking forward for new versions! By then, it's kick ass time.
Last edited by Konda on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

<Synert> fuck
<Synert> plugged in my memory stick and got a bsod

HexaDoken
Forum Regular

Post by HexaDoken » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:51 pm

That's what I actually talk about. Dogs are the cheap I-WIN button.

By the way, I have noticed that anything minced by the doggies does not give player the money. Bug? Intentional?

Using the voodoo magic, I have made that the dogs give the money when they eat things. And then I embarked on a "complete doom2.wad without buying ANYTHING other than dogs" quest... Well, I am at map14 and I am still alive! :O
Last edited by HexaDoken on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Avi

Post by Avi » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:12 pm

HexaDoken wrote: That's what I actually talk about. Dogs are the cheap I-WIN button.

By the way, I have noticed that anything minced by the doggies does not give player the money. Bug? Intentional?

Using the voodoo magic, I have made that the dogs give the money when they eat things. And then I embarked on a "complete doom2.wad without buying ANYTHING other than dogs" quest... Well, I am at map14 and I am still alive! :O
Well, as crazy powerful as the dogs are, I feel not letting the player get cash for dog related kills was a balance. Because otherwise there'd be a point in the game where all you'd have to do is buy more dogs using the money you'd get from the dogs... And I really don't think that'd make the game feel fun.

[id]Angel

Post by [id]Angel » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:08 pm

Hey guys i have an error, This is what is says:
Execution could not continue.

Script error, "mercs2-alpha1.pk3:weapons/ssg/decorate" line 4:
Unexpected 'SSGSkin' in definition of 'SSG'
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Find me ingame as [id]Angel

Animal Mother

Post by Animal Mother » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:19 pm

[id]Angel wrote: Hey guys i have an error, This is what is says:
Execution could not continue.

Script error, "mercs2-alpha1.pk3:weapons/ssg/decorate" line 4:
Unexpected 'SSGSkin' in definition of 'SSG'
From the first post:
What do I need to play Mercenaries?
1.) doom2.wad (duh)
2.) skulltag_data.pk3
3.) the latest version of SST (needs to be loaded before Mercs when you list the wads on your server/launcher)
Load order should be: skulltag_data.pk3, sst_v1.4rc3.pk3, mercs2-alpha1.pk3

If you're using the latest version of Zandronum, you will also need to load skulltag_actors.pk3. Load it before sst_v1.4rc3.pk3 and mercs2-alpha1.pk3.