DM Revival - MANAGEMENT HELP NEEDED

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
W1D3A55
Forum Regular

RE: Deathmatch Revival: Screenshots of progress!

Post by W1D3A55 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:14 am

Make the beta in 2 days (my map will be done by then), just send it to the mappers instead of making it public. Weve got plenty of participants that we can get opinions from, and besides Id rather leave the pack sorta as a surprise.
Watermelon wrote: Stall is notorious for his D.
Lollipop wrote: What does ETA mean? I'm sorry, but I don't get too much around on the internet.
For the best song you'll ever hear, click this link
I DARE YOU

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:16 am

Yeah I'm fine with that, I should prob get a midi and inter pic for mine aswell. I tried it on oda and zd, seems to work fine.

Doomkid
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Post by Doomkid » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:11 am

W1D3A55 wrote: Id rather leave the pack sorta as a surprise.
That's a good idea, I'll only send it to the participants. Once I get your map and one_Two's midi, I'll go ahed and put it all together.

W1D3A55
Forum Regular

Post by W1D3A55 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Welp. Finished my map (map07).
Spoiler: Some friggin screenies (Open)
DL link:CLICK ME NAO PLS!!!
Lollipop wrote: What does ETA mean? I'm sorry, but I don't get too much around on the internet.
I DARE YOU

Ogre

Post by Ogre » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:30 am

I'm also gonna post the download link to one of my finished maps.
http://www.2shared.com/file/doWFf-4G/AlgaeWel.html

Hope ya'll like it.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:16 pm

Final version for you: http://www.mediafire.com/?5ot1cw3cf0pf922
Just put a midi and interpic in there, you can do with as you please, I dunno what naming or map number conventions you will be using.

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:37 am

Great maps guys. I'll go ahed and compile this all together now.

Once thing I'm very curious about - Is there a way to remove unused patches from a WAD file, or is there at least a way to identify every texture used in a map? Some people have used custom textures that come from a big resource file, most of which is unused which would lead to a huge waste of file space in the WAD. Any tips on how to trim away all the unneeded stuff? I dont want to have to go through by hand and identify every custom texture used in certain maps. Is there an easier way?
Last edited by Doomkid on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

W1D3A55
Forum Regular

Post by W1D3A55 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:56 am

doom_kid92 wrote: Great maps guys. I'll go ahed and compile this all together now.

Once thing I'm very curious about - Is there a way to remove unused patches from a WAD file, or is there at least a way to identify every texture used in a map? Some people have used custom textures that come from a big resource file, most of which is unused which would lead to a huge waste of file space in the WAD. Any tips on how to trim away all the unneeded stuff? I dont want to have to go through by hand and identify every custom texture used in certain maps. Is there an easier way?
You could just look through doom builder to see what custom textures they used. From there you can open up slade3 or slumped and essentially just drag and drop said textures from the resource wads.
I DARE YOU

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 am

Wow, I've run into a strange hiccup with this. I open up the map in Doom Builder [ http://www.2shared.com/file/f-B-dKqa/Comfield.html ] but all textures that aren't from Doom2.wad don't show up. I've made sure to include the comfeild.WAD itself as an external resource, and even still it won't read the custom textures.

This wouldn't be a problem since the map runs fine in game, but Doom Builder won't list the unknown textures when I click one to change it, so I can't get a list of the used textures as easily as I thought.. What an annoyance. Any ideas what I can try?
Last edited by Doomkid on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:34 am

Check what format you're opening in and check if forces patches/flats to be between markers(?) in the wad.
Last edited by one_Two on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

W1D3A55
Forum Regular

Post by W1D3A55 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:39 am

Try and ask the mapper as to what resource file they got their custom textures from as well as a dl link to it if its something like the gothicx texture pack. Also, can you clarify a bit? That post of yours seemed a but confusing to me.
Last edited by W1D3A55 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I DARE YOU

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:59 am

one_Two wrote: Check what format you're opening in and check if forces patches/flats to be between markers(?) in the wad.
I worded my post in a really confusing way, but this is exactly what I needed. Thanks for the help guys, now I can finally make this thing :)

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:50 am

Alrighty! The early beta was sent out, looking forward to reading everyone's opinions and thoughts.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:15 pm

I put up a server: 94.102.147.2:10669 "Union Servers - DeathMatch Revival Testing". Played the first two, gotta say map02 is really nice, can see that being popular.

W1D3A55
Forum Regular

Post by W1D3A55 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:11 pm

I've played through all the custom maps fairly quickly, and here's my thoughts/suggestions on them.
Spoiler: If you're a mapper/contributor for this, take a read in me (Open)
MAP01 (DMR01): Overall very nice. I'd make it just a tad bigger (ie adding a few rooms). Oh and remove the player spawn at bfg. It's just a bad idea.
MAP02 (Entrymake): Pretty cool and playable layout. Like one_Two said, it's most likely going to be popular. The only fix i really see is the BFG lift (make the delay shorter, I could get there with SR50 with time to spare).
MAP03 (Rocket Jump): Not a bad concept. Maybe put at least one other weapon in there (like maybe a chaingun), as well as just a bit more texture variation.
MAP04 (Block Fort): Reminds me a bit of a Mario game I once played, not bad, but the BFG is WAAYY too easy to grab (I can get it without the switch via jumping).
MAP05 (Big Donut): Even easier to get the BFG than the previous map, but I like this map. Very spacious and playable. Slight bit more detail would be nice.
MAP06 (Opposing Forces): Again, not a bad map (would be nice for TDM), however I don't see any real way of getting the BFG (except for rocket jumping).
MAP07 (Generic UAC Base): HO MAH GAWD NICE (it's my map, so im not gonna give an opinion on it.
MAP08 (Trips and Tracks): Nice Doom II map remake. Fairly playable. Again, another easy BFG to grab. Also, id either make the center doors faster or just remove them altogether. It sorta interrupts the flow of the map.
MAP09 (Hellfighter): Fairly good. Feels like there's a hallway missing on the right side of the map, but I like it. I see no way of getting the BFG or exiting the map.
MAP10 (Weapon Research Facility): Very nice and big. Good flow, very playable, and a neat way of getting the BFG and plasma gun.
MAP11 (one_Two's Map):Basic but very playable. I'd add just a bit more detail, and weapon spots.
MAP12 (Entrymake 2): Not as good as the first one, but i sorta like the MAP01/E1M1 crossover. I'd trim down the size of the map, as it seems a bit too big. Nice way to get the BFG.
MAP13 (The Crematorium): All of my wat. Seriously, I, nor anybody really, could even play this as a duel map. WAAYY too small, linear, and tight. Please tell me this isn't the final map product.
MAP14 (Spaceport): I've got mixed feelings. The Detailing and some of the layout is nice, but it felt to close for comfort. Ceilings and room width in some spots felt way too short, and the BFG I could get by jumping as well. Overall, not bad, but needs some improvemnt.
MAP15 (The Algae Wall): Uhh....was this meant for DM? It looks like this was sorta made for Co-op, judging by the small amount of rooms there are, as well as the fact that I could run to both sides in 5 seconds with no issues. Needs to be a lot bigger.
MAP16 (Judgement): A map with a decent concept and nice layout. Fairly playable, and the BFG is a decent challenge to get. I'd make the floor where the BFG is moving so that you can't camp there with it all day. Oh and I'd make the lava have a bit more height than the water and blood (just some common sense and logic).
MAP17 (Comfield): To be honest, this is pretty bad. One area is way too fucking compact and close for comfort. The map is waayy to big for probably an FNF (and that's saying a lot), the texturing seems to be somewhat slapped there just because.... Overall, kinda unplayable. Needs tons of improvement.
MAP18 (Splatter House): Cool concept, but the level feels kinda bland with all the wood texturing. Id make the map a bit bigger with more rooms, and use some more detailing. Overall, pretty playable, just needs a bit of improvement.
MAP19 (You're In Hell): I like this a fair bit. Pretty playable, but it needs the line horizon in the lava pit area on the far side. Also in the lava pit, I'd make some islands you can jump to (just for more usage of space).
MAP20 (Entrymake 3): Possibly the worst Entrymake in here. You can't get the blue armor, the map feels okay at best, and the BFG is once again a somewhat easy grab. (doom_kid92 I know you made these probably, so I suggest maybe removing this one. Two remakes is enough.)
Spoiler: Some tips for doom_kid92 (Open)
Remove the red dynamic lighting after you shoot a barrel. Not only is it pointless, it sorta interferes with the map look overall. That and I'm not sure if Odammitex or Zdaemon will render dynamic lights. Also, please change the gun sounds on the BFG and pistol/chaingun, as well as the player death gib sound. They sorta sound lame and annoying.
Last edited by W1D3A55 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I DARE YOU

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:12 am

Map03 is more a novilty than anything, I don't think a cg would be worthwhile as you'd probably die within seconds in dm with any more than 3 players.

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:06 am

W1D3A55 wrote: Remove the red dynamic lighting after you shoot a barrel. Not only is it pointless, it sorta interferes with the map look overall. That and I'm not sure if Odammitex or Zdaemon will render dynamic lights. Also, please change the gun sounds on the BFG and pistol/chaingun, as well as the player death gib sound. They sorta sound lame and annoying.
Thanks for such detailed feedback, this is exactly what we need. Also, thanks a lot to one_Two for hosting that server.

The dynamic lights after you shoot a barrel is actually funky Zandronum glitch. I noticed it when playing reagular old Doom a few months ago, I meant to post about it but totally forgot.

Entrymake 3 will definitely go, It's just a bit to unispired. I kinda whacked it on to the old 3-map demo to show everyone :P But you can get the blue armor via the bfg secret :)

EDIT: a couple of the maps in there are still very unfinished, I think every map could use at least one or two alterations to play better. Thanks again guys.

Do you guys mind at all if I forward this to the Doomworld half of the team?

EDIT 2: Just so everyone knows, On Map06, press the RL switch. Run full speed to the blue armor, then run to the door on the outer wall facing the BFG pedestal - and have a well earned BFG spam. This secret is a real stretch, I need to make sure people cant RJ to places like that.
Last edited by Doomkid on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

W1D3A55
Forum Regular

Post by W1D3A55 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:40 am

Feel free to send the info man. And yeah that map06 method sounds impossible. Probably just skip the blue armor step, and make the bfg have 4 bars surrounding it when you spawn there. When you get it, the bars lower and then raise again. Simple fix. Also, ffor that map, easy on the barrels. Nobody needs negative frags.
I DARE YOU

katZune
Forum Regular

Post by katZune » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:09 am

Spoiler: review (Open)
map01 is very good!, i like the music and textures combination, but i think the bfg is a bit easy to take 9.2/10

map02 is fine, the music i felt it good, has open areas and that is good for many players but i felt it have low details 8.2/10

map03 o.0, looks funny but if it get a lot of player the fun maybe will be only for the one is live, pretty good for 4-8 players 8.8/10

map04 no words. in a good way ofc

map05 i smell the "os times"... the map remember me an os mappack, i think it was a dwango idk, but the bfg spam is present 9.3/10

map06 is too complex!, and that is good the music is pretty good bro and i think is a good one 9.5/10

map07 nice that's all, seems the guy tooks it time... and it's good as well the music 9.5/10

map08 is too big and small at the same time... yes i mean has a lot of rooms but they are so small :(, but maybe with 6-10 players will be pretty fun 8/10

map09 hell live in us!, nah joke, but i like hell themed maps and it is pretty good for sure it is for 4-8 players 9.8/10

map10 nice one bro'! the map is good and the music is a epic remix of the d_runnin, but i don't know how to get the bfg :( but that's good imo =P 9.1/10

map11 the name is..., well i don't know but the map is good for 4-10 players, it is a good os map ;) 8.5/10

map12 ah another remake... and it is good, i think is a combination between map01 and e1m1? but is good themed 9/10

map13 i'm stuck, i respawn in a room i had to use noclip for this, anyway the gameplay is meh, but have good detail :P need have more connected rooms! 7.6/10

map14 wow, is too big! the music is good but i think is for 8-16 players 8.6/10

map15 bad if you are claustrophobic, is small but i'ts not bad... maybe add more sector or "gameplay" 7.9/10

i think i cant do a review of my own map

map17 is good but for lms, don't offend but i did't see weapons and is too for dm maybe a 16-32 but i think would be better for a tmls or lms 7.8/10 because if bad for dm but the map isn't so bad

map18 is not bad, but i feel it so poor :(, need details and a bit of gameplay 8/10

map19 i don't want stay in hell D:!, jokes but the map is good bro! need a bit of detail but the gameplay i think is good 4-8 but is good ofc 8.9/10

map20 NO WAY!, another remake? haha ofc is it in a good way very good but i think need more, i don't know but i think there is something that need 8.6/10
Whitout a good PC ATM, i will back when 2.0 come out, :)
Spoiler: The True (Open)
Ijon Tichy wrote:
Catastrophe wrote: Banned on grandvoid for trolling Zombie Horde and all out war (blocking, destroying my own base, etc)
Kicked from El Zoido's all out war for nuking our teams base
Kicked again from el Zoido's server for fucking up the warfactory so bad that mechs couldn't spawn anymore
I see no offenses here

only justice

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:00 pm

The name of mine is "oTwar" btw, like in the interpic.