Samsara - No longer under active development.

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Yellowtail
Forum Regular

RE: Samsara - v0.23 - Didn't get to do anything I wanted.

Post by Yellowtail » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:19 pm

It says so right in the OP in the very first spoiler.

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:27 pm

You realize half the people that host this got the wad from other servers right? Did I not imply this?

And also why would you want jetpack on while jumping is off in the first place? That doesn't make sense.
Last edited by Catastrophe on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:52 pm

Catastrophe, is there a way that any other wad accomplishes this, other than by the player visiting the wad's forum thread to learn the ins and outs there?

I suppose servers could include a link/relevant commands in the MOTD, but the lack thereof is kind of the one running the server's fault, not necessarily the modder's.

I'm serious, how would you suggest this be done? I'm sure Term's open to ideas. He's cool like that. :)

EDIT: O rite, a readme within the .pk3. Now I look like an idiot as usual.
UnTrustable wrote:Now i can scrap my WadMix2007 for sure. :p
Not that it ever got finished, but anyways...
Why, what was it? Now I'm curious to see. :)
Last edited by President People on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***MARATHON SKINS PACK V1.0.7***

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh.
I have been called a hundred names and will be called
a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold.

roman6a

Post by roman6a » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:46 pm

zdude wrote: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... -fixes.zip

Here is an alternate link to the Samsara pallette fixes for Heretic and Hexen.
If people were not aware, the player sprites in Samsara would translate incorrectly in Heretic and Hexen. These patches correct that problem. I will try too keep these up to date as much as I can (meaning I gotta update once the next hero gets released...).

Also the player translations in Heretic seem more single color than in Hexen or Doom. I don't know if I can fix that easily.
well you seem very confused on this picture about something on the hexen sprites with your wad, so ill give you a pic
[spoiler]Image

the problem seems to be the white-like sprites from doom and chex, try and see if you can come up with something for this please[/spoiler]

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:06 pm

Hows a guy that just downloaded this even supposed to know that this command exists? [...] You realize half the people that host this got the wad from other servers right? Did I not imply this?
I'll include the Fun Admin Trivia in the .pk3 as well, then, for maximum fun.
And also why would you want jetpack on while jumping is off in the first place? That doesn't make sense.
I don't really like to make assumptions about how people would/should play. I just want to give them options.

zdude

Post by zdude » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:16 pm

Oh this is gonna take a bit of work to fix. The problem lies with the PNG graphics in the main package. When they translate to Hexen in software mode, the colors really get screwed over. This isn't as noticeable with Corvus or Parias though. Thoughts Term?

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:20 pm

zdude wrote: Oh this is gonna take a bit of work to fix. The problem lies with the PNG graphics in the main package. When they translate to Hexen in software mode, the colors really get screwed over. This isn't as noticeable with Corvus or Parias though. Thoughts Term?
Is there really a way to fix this? AFAIK you can use player sprites in PNG format and add +DONTTRANSLATE flag in the player code if the game is Hexen or Heretic, not sure how you detect that but IIRC there was a method in ACS I think. I'm not sure. The only downside to this method is that you can't use playercolors, at least not that I know of.
Last edited by Ivan on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

zdude

Post by zdude » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:30 pm

Last edited by zdude on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zdude

Post by zdude » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Double Post, but I think this one is worth it:
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Can't you just getcvar the jump settings and modify them via open/unloading script(s)?

Death Egg

Post by Death Egg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:14 am

Would there be a chance that Kyle Katarn from Star Wars: Dark Forces will be added in the future? Or one of the characters from Rise of the Triad? Or the guys from Corridor 7 or Blake Stone? Sorry for the suggestion dump, I just saw your responses as to why certain characters weren't appearing on the ZDoom forums thread and was wondering about any of their chances for getting in as well.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:27 pm

Can't you just getcvar the jump settings and modify them via open/unloading script(s)?
Theoretically, yes. Like I said, though, I think it's something better in the admin's hands to decide.
As for whether or not admins will be aware of these commands, I've moved the cvars to an additional readme inside the .pk3. In case that's not enough, though. Well.
Would there be a chance that Kyle Katarn from Star Wars: Dark Forces will be added in the future? Or one of the characters from Rise of the Triad? Or the guys from Corridor 7 or Blake Stone?
Sure, there's always a chance. There's lots of characters I'd like to include.
After the release of this seventh, though, I think I'll be focusing more on polishing things up, balancing, and bugfixing, so you might not see another for a while. Sorry.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:38 am

After some CTF...

BJ: If the map has no easy access to a chaingun (most already do), he's as good as screwed. No weapon 3 means he has no SSG, which most CTF maps put as the central weapon. However, he pretty much annihilates people with his accuracy.

Parias: Frost shards are deceptively strong. You can actually rack up kills easy if you're accurate enough (I was on 22 and 23, until 24 booted me for an authentification error). Timon's axe is suicide unless you know exactly what you're doing (or are good at dodging). His healing methods (items) is a major pain in the ass in CTF, especially soulspheres and backpacks.

Duke: Explosive shotgun pretty much cuts through people like a hot knife through snow. His standard shotgun is pretty strong too, though he gets a lot less health from soulspheres, so he dies much easier at least.

Chexguy: His SSG, while miserably slow, is possibly handier than Doomguy's about 50% of the time due to it's massive range, lack of spread, and bounce. His rockets are also handier offensively, but since he can't rjump, they don't do more than kill faster.

I didn't use Security Officer or Corvus so I can't speak much for them. Doomguy, well, not much different there.

TerminusEst13

RE: Samsara - v0.24 - Somewhere in the heavens...

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:12 am

Duly noted, TTA, thanks very much. Most of those I'd addressed in the internal test build, but it's still good to hear confirmation about them rather than wonder if I was doing the right thing.

-----------------------------------------

0.24 is released! Public testing went extremely well--but special mention should go out to President People, who went above and beyond the call of duty to help out in every single way. He took it upon himself to check, double-check, and triple-check everything to make everything as Marathon-ish as possible, even tweaking some code and graphics in order to help out. Thank you very much, and a thank you to everyone that helped with public testing.

And with that, we have seven heroes in the midst! From here on, I'll be focusing a lot on bugfixing and balancing. That's not to say there won't be any more heroes, but as time goes on I'm learning that adding more people throws an exponentially increasing amount of variables in regards to balance. So we probably won't see anyone else for a while. Sorry.
W̶a̶i̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶S̶u̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶L̶a̶r̶g̶e̶ ̶Z̶o̶r̶c̶h̶e̶r̶'̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶i̶g̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶u̶i̶l̶d̶ ̶e̶i̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶F̶U̶C̶K̶ ̶F̶U̶C̶K̶ ̶F̶U̶C̶K̶

zdude

Post by zdude » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:32 am

I am glad I was able to partake in the tests that were up! :)

This mod adds SO much replay value to most wad in existence and to play as other characters from other games really spruces it up! :)

Death Egg

Post by Death Egg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:30 am

Two minor bugs for Security Officer I noticed: On the singleplayer character selection, his walking animation disappears every few frames for some reason, and whenever you die with either the Rocket Launcher or the Wave Motion Cannon the weapon keeps repeating the "lowering-off-the-screen" part of the animation.

Also I know I asked about future additions already, but do you plan on adding support for Harmony or Strife? (Not the characters, the games)
Last edited by Death Egg on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

UnTrustable
Forum Regular

Post by UnTrustable » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:45 am

President People wrote:
UnTrustable wrote:Now i can scrap my WadMix2007 for sure. :p
Not that it ever got finished, but anyways...
Why, what was it? Now I'm curious to see. :)
Death Egg wrote: Would there be a chance that Kyle Katarn from Star Wars: Dark Forces will be added in the future? Or one of the characters from Rise of the Triad? Or the guys from Corridor 7 or Blake Stone? Sorry for the suggestion dump, I just saw your responses as to why certain characters weren't appearing on the ZDoom forums thread and was wondering about any of their chances for getting in as well.
WadMix started as a mixture of all wads, weapons, monsters, and all the other fancy stuff.
Later DukeNukem3D came in, Blood, Redneck Rampage, Wolfenstein3D, Blake Stone, Dark Forces, Rise of the Triad, Metal Of Honor, etc etc......
It was alot of work.
That project is still not dead, but i had trouble in "should i ever release it or not."
The only thing that isnt in WadMix yet, are classes like Samsara has.
Since i didnt had a clue how to make classes that day. Now ofcourse i do know. :S
Last edited by UnTrustable on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:58 pm

Also I know I asked about future additions already, but do you plan on adding support for Harmony or Strife?
Harmony, probably not. Its actors aren't native, so I'd have to copy/paste the decorate in, and considering Harmony's a full-fledged indie game I don't really feel comfortable with that.

Strife, though, is much more likely! I've met a surprising amount of people who like Strife and would like to play Strife, so I'll have to give it a shot sometime.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:23 pm

TerminusEst13 wrote: Harmony, probably not. Its actors aren't native, so I'd have to copy/paste the decorate in, and considering Harmony's a full-fledged indie game I don't really feel comfortable with that.
Just out of curiosity: You have no problems "borrowing" copyrighted artwork from commercial games but you are hesitant to borrow DECORATE code from an indie game (which explicitly allows its artwork be used in other projects as long as some requirements are met)?

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:02 pm

Raven, Id, 3D Realms, Bungie, and Digital Cafe have repeatedly demonstrated that they're cool with people making fanstuff, using sprites, using sounds, etc, and the modding scene has thrived because of it.
I didn't know if Rabotik had any sort of feelings for or against it. Sometimes people don't want their stuff used, and I didn't want to step on anyone's toes. If you say it's explicitly allowed, then, well, that's a good thing. I'll shoot him an e-mail and see if he's cool with it.

Also, do you folks like surprises? I do!
I don't like learning that someone can actually force a hard crash to a server with the SO, though. That's kind of a bad surprise.
Uploaded a hotfix for 0.24. I'm very sorry about the inconvenience.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.