Samsara - No longer under active development.

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Animal Mother

RE: Samsara - v0.18 - Guess I'm gonna have to punch someone tonight.

Post by Animal Mother » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:17 pm

Got a bug with the test version. In singleplayer, you can pick up weapon pickups (not drops) even if your ammo is full and you already have the weapon. EDIT: Similar thing also happens with the unique items, can still pick them up when your inventory is full.

Also, you might want to relocate the "mighty boot engaged" message, I didn't even notice it the entire time I was playing as Duke when we were playing co-op.

About the bug with Duke "pissing bullets", I found out that using the quick mighty boot with any weapon except for the pistol or chaingun causes it. Doing it with the pistol or the chaingun will "toggle" the bug off and make the shooting animation play again for the rest of the weapons.

I suggest you remove the "Keys" label on Duke's HUD, the blue key overlaps it.

When Duke has high health (75 and above after the damage is done), his pain sounds are the same as Doomguy's.

Activating and deactivating the jetpack in rapid succession causes its fuel to run out faster.

Duke's boots, pistol, shotgun, explosive shotgun and chaingun have impacts when you shoot the sky. So do Parias' hammer and sapphire wand. And the tomed elven wand and dragon claw.

When kicking lost souls, they become dimmed.

Duke's chaingun doesn't alert enemies.

In the death animation of the flemoid cycloptis, his shell spawns too low.

Shooting a tomed dragon claw at your feet (or overhead when you're touching the ceiling) damages you.
Last edited by Animal Mother on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roman6a

Post by roman6a » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:35 pm

i told you i'd make a forums account, man i love this freaking mod

also a bug you might already know but just for the sake of record it on the thread, on the test version with duke: if you kicked any kind of monster except the spidermastermind or the cyberdemon it painchanced them to a 100% making it a cheap ass way to kill barons, hellknights, archviles and other kind of high level monster with them not counterattacking.

and on the part that i did took a screenshot on another bug just see for yourself
[spoiler]Image
DEM BALLS OF STEEEEL on a wall! :D[/spoiler]

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:38 pm

For the love of god if you are making Duke class please use PNG with it's true palette instead of Doom's !!!
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:01 pm

Ivan wrote: For the love of god if you are making Duke class please use PNG with it's true palette instead of Doom's !!!
So that it looks good only for people using OGL?

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:26 pm

roman6a wrote: [spoiler]Image
DEM BALLS OF STEEEEL on a wall! :D[/spoiler]
Hey, it's me! One for the folks back home. (I wouldn't move until he took my picture) :)[/size]

And why do I imagine that Duke is a bad influence on Corvus? I keep picturing him trying to act cooler by being a little more like Duke. Just look at the screenshot!

Speaking of Duke, he's pretty cool, by the way. I know very little of the games, but he was fun to play here. Can't wait for the Weapon I pickup.

EDIT: I know it has to do with palettes and such, but some of Duke's sprites look really terrible in HeXen.
Last edited by President People on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***MARATHON SKINS PACK V1.0.7***

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh.
I have been called a hundred names and will be called
a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Llewellyn wrote:
Ivan wrote: For the love of god if you are making Duke class please use PNG with it's true palette instead of Doom's !!!
It's better than looking shit on both ends.

roman6a

Post by roman6a » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:43 pm

also guys, im hosting a dedicated server of the test ver of samsara on zandronum ver.1356 if anyone cares to join it would be appreciated, its called "[BE] New Jersey automated: samsara somethingsomething" (btw server was not made by me, but bloax gave me the rcon so... maybe thank him about that? :D)

and no, you don't have to look everywhere for the wad, its already on the server's url

server was shutdown cause BE bot needed maintenance, sorry about that i was not aware untill the actual takedown of the server
Last edited by roman6a on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XutaWoo
Forum Regular

Post by XutaWoo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:09 pm

He is.

That screenshot is just in, y'know, software.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

roman6a

Post by roman6a » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:15 am

roman6a wrote: server was shutdown cause BE bot needed maintenance, sorry about that i was not aware untill the actual takedown of the server
well now the deathmatch server is back up and i don't think the bot needs maintenance for quite the time, if anyone wants to join in they're free to do so

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by TerminusEst13 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:20 am

For the love of god if you are making Duke class please use PNG with it's true palette instead of Doom's !!!
Don't worry.
From what I know of, which I'll freely admit is very little, they'd look the same in software mode whether they're truecolor or palette'd.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:55 am

No in software mode, anything that isn't doom's palette gets converted to doom's palette. But yeah, I'm glad it's in true color !

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:09 am

phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
Behold! 20 minutes of Duke gameplay!
If all goes well with the test builds, I'm hoping to release v0.19 in a few days.

When I get my mapping juju a little stronger I'm thinking of making a non linear hub-style campaign for this mod[...]
That would be pretty neat! A lot of people have asked about custom maps for this, but I really don't have any mapping skills at all. The closest I can suggest is Hordes of Chaos X, which is pretty nifty but reeeeally is not suited for co-op play at all.
- About the bug with Duke "pissing bullets", I found out that using the quick mighty boot with any weapon except for the pistol or chaingun causes it. Doing it with the pistol or the chaingun will "toggle" the bug off and make the shooting animation play again for the rest of the weapons.
- When Duke has high health (75 and above after the damage is done), his pain sounds are the same as Doomguy's.
- When kicking lost souls, they become dimmed.
- Duke's chaingun doesn't alert enemies.
- In the death animation of the flemoid cycloptis, his shell spawns too low.
- if you kicked any kind of monster except the spidermastermind or the cyberdemon it painchanced them to a 100% making it a cheap ass way to kill barons, hellknights, archviles and other kind of high level monster with them not counterattacking.
- I know it has to do with palettes and such, but some of Duke's sprites look really terrible in HeXen.
Fix'd, thank you.
- In singleplayer, you can pick up weapon pickups (not drops) even if your ammo is full and you already have the weapon.
- Similar thing also happens with the unique items, can still pick them up when your inventory is full.
- Activating and deactivating the jetpack in rapid succession causes its fuel to run out faster.
Ergh. These will be much less simple to fix.
I probably won't be able to get to them for some time, but they'll definitely go on the "to do" list.

Aqua Kitty
Forum Regular
Location: Dreamland. There's a rebellion going on there and it isn't pretty.
Clan: Organization XIII

Post by Aqua Kitty » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:14 am

TerminusEst13 wrote:
When I get my mapping juju a little stronger I'm thinking of making a non linear hub-style campaign for this mod[...]
That would be pretty neat! A lot of people have asked about custom maps for this, but I really don't have any mapping skills at all. The closest I can suggest is Hordes of Chaos X, which is pretty nifty but reeeeally is not suited for co-op play at all.
I got a better idea for the "Campaign" - The six or seven hubs (seven assuming Strifeguy will be added ;) ) could be stringed into a megahub representing the Wheel and the player has to solve the puzzle spanning the six/seven worlds to reach "Enlightenment" (or beat the mod :p). The idea of fusing the hubs into a megahub puzzle comes from the idea that Samsara in Hindu mythology is a wheel with six different realms representing different states of human life.
Last edited by Aqua Kitty on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
DooMMakU - Bullet Hell Doom
<BlakJacket> Reisen: so basically you're Uwe Boll
"The smart kids know there isn't really a line between fact and fantasy" -Ranger
Spoiler: Names I may go by ingame (Open)
Aqua Kitty
Reisen Udongein Inaba
James Frost
Cirno
Cirnobog
Cyclo-F
ARX/NG 891

Net status: Finally have a better internet plan - alive and kicking!

HexaDoken
Forum Regular

Post by HexaDoken » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:44 am

Beginning Map11 of Speed of Doom wad(sodfinal.wad) with 4 players have totally hardcrashed the server.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:36 pm

I like how you took the time and made the weapons as if they came straight out of the game. The shotgun cocking sound should be played a little bit earlier though, then it would be exactly like in the game.

Besides that, all other weapons seem kinda weak. I don't know what the speciality of Duke is gonna be in this, probably explosives and jetpack but, Ripper could use a small tweak I think.

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Tested Heretic a bit, and found a couple of things:
  • Zorched enemies (such as gargoyles and golems) will die a regular death, even though the zorch animation plays
  • Gargoyles no longer drop pieces upon death (regular or gibbed)
  • Tomed Ethereal Crossbow contrails fall too quickly
  • [color=ff0000]EDIT:[/color] Morph Ovum seems to mess with monster spawns in Survival. Monsters that were morphed and killed seem not to reappear if one fails the map and the player(s) respawn. Re-picking the map again can fix this.
Also… Corvus is a bit underpowered in Deathmatch currently. Against DoomGuy, Parias, and now Duke, who all have potential instakill weapons, Corvus has got nothing but the Phoenix Rod, and maybe the Hellstaff if you can spam it well. His earlier weapons just can't damage fast enough, and are relatively slow moving to boot.

It's hard to say what should be done about this, as Corvus' Tomed weapons are (most likely, I haven't tested yet) powerful enough, but on maps without a Weapon VII, he doesn't have much of a chance. I don't remember if you said the Dragon Claw was toned down, but if it was, I think boosting it back up again might help.

On a lighter note, I had a lot of fun deathmatching as BJ. His rockets might be just little overpowered, as they move about as fast as Duke's RPG, but BJ doesn't have to worry about his own splash damage at all. I think BJ'd still be alright if he could take splash damage, which would prevent him from using it like a shotgun at close range. :)
Last edited by President People on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
***MARATHON SKINS PACK V1.0.7***

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh.
I have been called a hundred names and will be called
a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold.

roman6a

Post by roman6a » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:30 pm

one thing i noticed about BJ's retro movement, is that if you spam left and right while moving forward it makes you literally unhittable, which could be a serious trolling problem on deathmatch...

only disadvantage of doing that is that you cant aim your hitscan weapons at all. but you can still spam near-instakill rockets everywhere

TerminusEst13

RE: Samsara - v0.19 - Hail to the Duke, baby.

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:25 am

And v0.19 is released! There are two especially huge changes in this release--one being Duke Nukem, of course, but the other being support for singleplayer offline play!
There's still one more hero to go, but he won't be showing up for some time. I want to take a break and focus more on balancing and bug fixes; as more and more people get interested in this (which still surprises me!), glitches and frustrating stuff come up which I'm gonna have a fun fun fun fun time working on.

As always, I appreciate everyone's interest and input, and will try my best to make v0.2 even better.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Animal Mother

RE: Samsara - v0.19 - Hail to the Duke, baby.

Post by Animal Mother » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:14 pm

Is it really a good idea to have the Devastator use 2 ammo per rocket? It takes all 300 units of ammo to take out a Spiderdemon, and that's without missing a single shot. If you're worried about how the Devastator is balanced against the Freezethrower, consider how the latter still has perks over the former, like having its projectiles bounce around and more importantly how they don't inflict self damage so it's still the better choice for point blank shooting scenarios.

EDIT: Getting a rather critical bug in Heretic, sabreclaws often vanish when shot. Applies even to Corvus' weapons. Actually they vanish seemingly any time when they're alerted. Might want to check the rest of the Heretic monsters too.
Last edited by Animal Mother on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:37 pm

roman6a wrote: one thing i noticed about BJ's retro movement, is that if you spam left and right while moving forward it makes you literally unhittable, which could be a serious trolling problem on deathmatch...

only disadvantage of doing that is that you cant aim your hitscan weapons at all. but you can still spam near-instakill rockets everywhere
so I'm guessing you can't play or hit tf2 scouts, because they move in much the same way
also I don't think having a tricky class is a problem

on another note, does wolfmove (yes, that's what the movement is called) works well online? because I have doubts it does (lol getplayerinput)