Samsara - No longer under active development.

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Samsara - v0.19 - Hail to the Duke, baby.

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:02 pm

Beginning Map11 of Speed of Doom wad(sodfinal.wad) with 4 players have totally hardcrashed the server.
I'm sorry, I haven't been able to replicate this. Tried it several times, couldn't get it to crash. What classes were you guys using, and were any other wads loaded with it? Any other extra information you can give?
Besides that, all other weapons seem kinda weak. I don't know what the speciality of Duke is gonna be in this, probably explosives and jetpack but, Ripper could use a small tweak I think.
The Ripper is actually probably the most powerful of all the chaingun weapons, now, rivalling the Dragon Claw--Doomguy's Chaingun does a rough average of 10, while Duke's does a flat 15 with every hit. If you still feel it's weak, please let me know and I'll run some hard number comparisons.
Zorched enemies (such as gargoyles and golems) will die a regular death, even though the zorch animation plays
Can you elaborate on this, please? It seems to work pretty fine to me.
Tomed Ethereal Crossbow contrails fall too quickly
Fix'd.
Gargoyles no longer drop pieces upon death (regular or gibbed)
Ergh.
I hate to say this and was hoping nobody would notice, but this was intentional. Basically, the Gargoyles have an inherent Crash state designed to activate once they hit a solid object after death--hence why they splat on the ground. After zorching, that means players could walk through them, and suddenly gibs out of nowhere.
Morph Ovum seems to mess with monster spawns in Survival. Monsters that were morphed and killed seem not to reappear if one fails the map and the player(s) respawn. Re-picking the map again can fix this.
I'll see what I can do, thanks.
Is it really a good idea to have the Devastator use 2 ammo per rocket? It takes all 300 units of ammo to take out a Spiderdemon, and that's without missing a single shot.
The big thing about this is that the majority of the Devastator's damage comes from its radius damage on explosion, which bosses are all immune to. I could force its radius damage, would that help?
Getting a rather critical bug in Heretic, sabreclaws often vanish when shot. Applies even to Corvus' weapons. Might want to check the rest of the Heretic monsters too.
Shit.
Fix'd. Apparently Sabreclaws were trying to access a non-existent Missile state--since Sabreclaws don't shoot missiles, they just vanish because there's no behavior defined.
I'm curious if this appears with any enemies in HeXen. I'm fairly sure that no other Heretic/Doom/Chex enemies suffer from this, though I haven't had as much of a chance to go over the HeXen enemies.
on another note, does wolfmove (yes, that's what the movement is called) works well online? because I have doubts it does (lol getplayerinput)
It's...really dependent on ping. Low ping works pretty fine, though higher ping? Forget about it.
I've since made it a toggle, so that people can swap to or fro depending on their ping or whether it's online/offline.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:14 pm

TerminusEst13 wrote:Apparently Sabreclaws were trying to access a non-existent Missile state--since Sabreclaws don't shoot missiles, they just vanish because there's no behavior defined.
I'm curious if this appears with any enemies in HeXen. I'm fairly sure that no other Heretic/Doom/Chex enemies suffer from this, though I haven't had as much of a chance to go over the HeXen enemies.
I played through most of HeXen with v0.17, and finished up with v0.18. Didn't notice any disappearing enemies. I'm also playing through Deathkings of Dark Citadel, so if I see (or, not see as the case may be) I'll let you know.
Last edited by President People on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***MARATHON SKINS PACK V1.0.7***

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh.
I have been called a hundred names and will be called
a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold.

Animal Mother

Post by Animal Mother » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:38 pm

TerminusEst13 wrote:The big thing about this is that the majority of the Devastator's damage comes from its radius damage on explosion, which bosses are all immune to. I could force its radius damage, would that help?
That does sound like the most feasible way to handle the problem.
President People wrote: I played through most of HeXen with v0.17, and finished up with v0.18. Didn't notice any disappearing enemies. I'm also playing through Deathkings of Dark Citadel, so if I see (or, not see as the case may be) I'll let you know.
I've played through Heretic with the same versions too. The bug hasn't existed back then. I double checked and the bug only popped up in v0.19.

Welp, just had another quick game of Heretic. Same bug happens with Golems. Only reason why I found out about it happening with the Sabreclaws first is because I started with episode 2 when I first played Heretic with v0.19.

Also, I just tried using the jetpack after picking up a flight powerup. Guess what happened when I deactivated the jetpack.

Ghost golems/nitrogolems have semi-transparent frozen states. And all of Duke's weapons hit ghosts, I'm wondering if this is intentional or not since Doomguy's shotgun, SSG and chaingun don't.

Duke's Devastator very rarely gibs zombiemen with direct hits, they seem to only get gibbed when killed by the splash damage. And can something be done about its explosion sound? When its rockets explode right after another you won't hear anything, makes the weapon feel really underwhelming IMO. Also, when it is picked up, it doesn't produce red sparks like other ultimates. Speaking of sparks, can you only make them, along with the centered messages, only appear when picking up weapons for the first time? And speaking of centered messages, wouldn't you consider it redundant to also display the upperleft messages that say the same thing when they show up?

Kicking enemies from any angle aside from their front will produce weird results e.g. kicking a guy at his side will make him fly sideways, kicking a guy in the back will suck him in.

What do you think about reducing the pipe bomb's bounce when it hits enemies? Maybe even eliminating the bounce when it hits them? I think the weapon would be a lot more effective that way.
Last edited by Animal Mother on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqua Kitty
Forum Regular
Location: Dreamland. There's a rebellion going on there and it isn't pretty.
Clan: Organization XIII

Post by Aqua Kitty » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:59 am

I have an idea for an "extreme" death obit for Timon's Axe (gibbage death):

[victim] was zapped to the extreme by [killer].

*ducks behind the bushes*
DooMMakU - Bullet Hell Doom
<BlakJacket> Reisen: so basically you're Uwe Boll
"The smart kids know there isn't really a line between fact and fantasy" -Ranger
Spoiler: Names I may go by ingame (Open)
Aqua Kitty
Reisen Udongein Inaba
James Frost
Cirno
Cirnobog
Cyclo-F
ARX/NG 891

Net status: Finally have a better internet plan - alive and kicking!

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:05 am

I've played through Heretic with the same versions too. The bug hasn't existed back then. I double checked and the bug only popped up in v0.19.
Welp, just had another quick game of Heretic. Same bug happens with Golems. Only reason why I found out about it happening with the Sabreclaws first is because I started with episode 2 when I first played Heretic with v0.19.
Shit. That's very much a critical bug. Looks like I'm going to end up releasing 0.2 much sooner than I wanted, that shit needs patched as soon as possible.
Like, maybe tomorrow or day after.
Also, I just tried using the jetpack after picking up a flight powerup. Guess what happened when I deactivated the jetpack.
Ergh. I guess the engine only allows the player to have one flight powerup at a time.
I'll have to think about how to circumvent this, assuming it's even possible.
Ghost golems/nitrogolems have semi-transparent frozen states.
And all of Duke's weapons hit ghosts, I'm wondering if this is intentional or not since Doomguy's shotgun, SSG and chaingun don't.
Fixed and fixed, thank you.
Duke's Devastator very rarely gibs zombiemen with direct hits, they seem to only get gibbed when killed by the splash damage. And can something be done about its explosion sound? When its rockets explode right after another you won't hear anything, makes the weapon feel really underwhelming IMO. Also, when it is picked up, it doesn't produce red sparks like other ultimates.
Done. Now the explosion sound doesn't have a limit, so the sound will play and overlap no matter how many explosions there are on the field.
And fixed the sparks.
Speaking of sparks, can you only make them, along with the centered messages, only appear when picking up weapons for the first time? And speaking of centered messages, wouldn't you consider it redundant to also display the upperleft messages that say the same thing when they show up?
Already done! In 0.2, weapons will only be picked up if you A: Don't have them, and/or B: Don't enough ammo, much like vanilla weapon behavior. And the centered message doesn't show up if you pick one up while wielding it.
I do like the sparkles, though, but after 0.2 I could probably get rid of them too.
Kicking enemies from any angle aside from their front will produce weird results e.g. kicking a guy at his side will make him fly sideways, kicking a guy in the back will suck him in.
I'm not sure what I can do about this, sorry. The Boot works by forcing the enemy into a custom state that induces massive A_Recoil, which thrusts them backwards from the direction they're facing. The obvious answer would be to use A_FaceTarget to make the enemy face the player, but...that's already in, and clearly not working.
What do you think about reducing the pipe bomb's bounce when it hits enemies? Maybe even eliminating the bounce when it hits them? I think the weapon would be a lot more effective that way.
I don't think I can reduce a bounce against a specific surface, sorry. I can remove its bounce against actors, though, but it's currently got a very large radius buff right now (Duke 3D's pipebombs had a much larger radius, I discovered) and I'd like to see if that helps it first.
I have an idea for an "extreme" death obit for Timon's Axe (gibbage death):

[victim] was zapped to the extreme by [killer].
Haha, probably not. There's no obituary for extreme deaths by weapons. That, and the obituaries follow a [killer] > [victim] > [method] layout so far.

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:45 am

How about setting it so that you cannot pick up a flight powerup if you already have the other one?
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:52 am

Empyre wrote: How about setting it so that you cannot activate Duke's jetpack if you're already using a Flight powerup?
My version of Empyre's question. :)

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:02 am

Ah, a wonderful idea! Done and done. Also can't pickup the Wings of Wrath if using Duke's jetpack, now.

Thanks very much.

TerminusEst13

RE: Samsara - v0.2 - WHOOPS CRITICAL BUG FIXES

Post by TerminusEst13 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:03 am

And there. 0.2 is done and released.
Some very game-breaking and a few very persistent bugs were fixed in this update. Plenty more remain, of course, but some of the nastiest ones were addressed--I'm a bit embarrassed that some even turned up in a first place, since a few were just because of forgetfulness and carelessness.

But, well, still. Progress, progress, progress, one step closer to a better product all around. Thank you all for your patience and contributions.

Animal Mother

Post by Animal Mother » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:34 am

- Duke's Night Vision Goggles run out properly now.
It still functions the same as the last version on my end. Timer runs out, power up is still there and you have to wait some time for the power up to actually wear off.

Ghost enemies who have been frozen still act like ghosts, that is, shots that go through ghosts also go through the frozen state of ghosts.

Doomguy's pistol is droppable. I assume you disabled the ability to drop the rest of the weapons in the first place because it would cause problems in multiplayer, is that right?
Last edited by Animal Mother on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:21 am

Fixed (hopefully for real this time), fixed, and fixed, thank you.
I assume you disabled the ability to drop the rest of the weapons in the first place because it would cause problems in multiplayer, is that right?
Sort of, yeah. People were tossing weapons back and forth to each other, building up an arsenal of mix-and-match weapons. It'd be the Gauntlets of the Necromancer, Mini-Zorcher, the Machine Gun, Timon's Axe, Serpent Staff, Zorch Propulsor, Plasma Rifle, and Spear of Destiny as the most common loadout.
That sort of shit ain't cool, yo.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:46 pm

So, one of the more frequent things people have talked to me about, being that this is primarily a multiplayer mod, is an inability to play multiplayer.
Either there's very few servers for it, nobody's on aforementioned servers, they hate playing with other people, their connection is incredibly shoddy, or they're in a country with very limited internet.

This is a Bad Thing, and is one I'm going to address in 2.1.
One of my bigger requests has been for bot support, and now it's in.
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
phpBB [video]
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aqua Kitty
Forum Regular

Post by Aqua Kitty » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:20 pm

TerminusEst13 wrote: So, one of the more frequent things people have talked to me about, being that this is primarily a multiplayer mod, is an inability to play multiplayer.
Either there's very few servers for it, nobody's on aforementioned servers, they hate playing with other people, their connection is incredibly shoddy, or they're in a country with very limited internet.

This is a Bad Thing, and is one I'm going to address in 2.1.
One of my bigger requests has been for bot support, and now it's in.
phpBB [video]
I did that long before you, I just made BOTINFO with each class and stuck it in my skins folder for personal use. :razz:

Also I would play online if it weren't for those money sucking AT&T vampire jews charging for every gigabyte I use, but I have fun playing in Singleplayer.
Last edited by Aqua Kitty on Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The smart kids know there isn't really a line between fact and fantasy" -Ranger
Aqua Kitty
Reisen Udongein Inaba
James Frost
Cirno
Cirnobog
Cyclo-F
ARX/NG 891

Cerebus

Post by Cerebus » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:24 am

Love this WAD, been using it since v0.16, and keep up the good work. Offtopic: haven't found any bugs as of yet :D
On the charge of playing the Sega Saturn port of Doom, I find myself guilty as charged LOL

Aqua Kitty
Forum Regular

Post by Aqua Kitty » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:25 am

I've been toying with the idea of a "Misfits" addon for this WAD; Rather than just adding a Sonic recolor from a Doom mod that doesn't exist, it'll have characters from other games as well. So far the Quake 1/2 guys, Sarge from Quake 3, Master Chief and Arbiter from Halo, Caleb from Blood, Eddie Riggs and Drowned Ophelia from Brutal Legend, Doomguy's Brutal Doom incarnation, and Aqua are planned so far, each with their own roles and traits like regular Samsara. The idea is, characters that wouldn't "officially" be put in Samsara.
Aqua Kitty
Reisen Udongein Inaba
James Frost
Cirno
Cirnobog
Cyclo-F
ARX/NG 891

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:00 am

Having a problem with Map52 in HeXen Deathkings. The Reivers are completely invisible except for the particles that fall off them occasionally (never noticed that before tbh), and I can't hit them at all (Even with the LAZ device; I'm using Chexter).

On Map35 of the original HeXen campaign with the current version (v0.2), they show up normally, and don't seem to have any issues. Am I doing something wrong here? I tried loading the stuff in a different order, but no dice.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:10 am

Ah, damn. Damn, damn, damn. That is a magnificent catch, thank you.

The tl;dr of the matter is that Map35 of HeXen has normal Reivers, while Map52 in Deathkings has you deal with buried Reivers. Normal Reivers on their See state chase after the player, but the buried Reivers upon See-ing the player claw themselves out of the ground, invulnerable and invisible until they come out completely, THEN chase after the player.
Since the (modified) buried Reivers inherit from the (unmodified) normal Reivers, that overrides the (modified) buried Reivers's See state, so they stay invulnerable and invisible and just start chasing after the player right away.

Just fixed it.

Animal Mother

Post by Animal Mother » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:54 pm

The Firemace uses two units of ammo when fired from full ammo capacity.

Balrog
Forum Regular

Post by Balrog » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:42 pm

How about adding the Security Officer from Marathon? It seems like a fitting addition to Samsara because it was pretty much the Doom of the Mac. Not familiar enough with the metagame to recommend traits, but it would be cool to somehow reward the player for following the Vidmaster's Oath. His ultimate could be the Fusion Pistol, with the gimmick being that it does the same damage to everything that doesn't have -SHOOTABLE or similar trickery. (In Marathon the Fusion Pistol is the only weapon that can damage invincible players.)

Code: Select all

[15:53:14] balrog: one day, the original mm8bdm devteam from mfggu and i will meet in valhalla and we will be friends

<ijon>well fuk
<ijon>guess I gotta suck dicks now

(18:13:17)<Mayrine>i dont have to learnt anything about ACS

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:07 pm

Balrog wrote: How about adding the Security Officer from Marathon? It seems like a fitting addition to Samsara because it was pretty much the Doom of the Mac. Not familiar enough with the metagame to recommend traits, but it would be cool to somehow reward the player for following the Vidmaster's Oath. His ultimate could be the Fusion Pistol, with the gimmick being that it does the same damage to everything that doesn't have -SHOOTABLE or similar trickery. (In Marathon the Fusion Pistol is the only weapon that can damage invincible players.)
Heh. I'd be curious to see how many Marathon fans come out of the woodwork if/when that happens.

As for the SO's traits, I'm going to think out loud a bit here.

Since the SO lacks an (official) upgrade melee weapon, perhaps the Fusion Pistol could fill the Weapon I slot? It could be unique in the fact that it uses ammunition. Don't know if could be considered an ultimate, as Balrog suggests; it's actually fairly weak against regular monsters. Damage is, however, doubled against mechanical/cybernetic foes. (look out, Cyberdemon!) Would it penetrate invulnerability other than enemy SO's?

The motion sensor… His unique item? Whatever the case, don't forget that it indicates the general direction of the "Hill", Flag, or other current objectives in competitive gametypes.

On the automap, friendly actors should be enabled (if possible) to try and imitate Marathon's behavior. (Civilians appearing as blue dots, even when killed)

As Balrog said, even while invincible, the SO is vulnerable to fusion. What Doom projectiles would be included with that, I'm not sure.

Would he be immune to telefrags? In Marathon, when you teleport into another player, they are thrown away from you depending on their position as you arrived. Is this a trait of the shield technology, or the teleport technology? If the former, could players without that shielding (Doomguy, etc.) be telefragged by the SO?

What to do about the Ultimate weapon. Without making a new weapon, I'd say the dual shotguns are the best candidate. It's like having dual SSGs firing one after the other, limited only by the player's ammunition. He'd have to collect two of them to get up to speed, though. :)

The game physics will be fun (not to port). He gets major air on deaths by explosives (or even shotguns, occasionally), falls much slower than DooMGuy, and can rocket jump (not to mention fly across a map) without even jumping.

Well, that's it. Like I said, thinking out loud; I'll be happy if the SO even gets chosen. I'm sure it'll be great whoever or however they turn out.