Samsara - No longer under active development.

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

RE: Samsara - v0.25c - Eight builds just to stop a simple infinite loop crash.

Post by Ijon Tichy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:31 am

Aqua Kitty wrote: lol r0tt 1s 4 fagets, 3v3ry1 noes mastur ch33f 1s l33t sn1p3s adn sh0uld b3 add3d.

Joking aside, I would definitely make Master Chief, it would be simple enough as a replacement for SO.
Yeah when 0.26 comes out adding classes will be a good deal easier. Considering I made the system that handles weapon pickups and messages and all that crap in the span of a few hours...
blakyoshi wrote: Also, it would be nice if you could implement the Protective Boots and/or Holoduke from DN3D, it feels weird using radiation suits and invisibility the same way as in Doom.
We were considering adding the Holoduke as an alternative to the jetpack when sv_banjetpack is on, but then yeah that'd be useless half the time. Wait for 0.26 to come up, and the idea has a chance of getting in.
Things are changing a /lot/ under the hood, which is why ideas aren't so likely to get in right now. Just so you know.
Loving this mod so far, played through Doom 2 as Parias, and then Duke. If I were to be so bold as to suggest something, I would say give BJ an incendiary Trench Gun. Which is basically a shotgun that doesn't do much damage, but has a fairly tight spread, rips through enemies, and can set them on fire.
That could fit in slot 3, but you have to remember it needs to be Wolfenstein style. In Wolf3D, everything was perfectly accurate, and a shotgun is basically the opposite of perfectly accurate. I'm not the one who calls the shots, but I don't think it'd fit too well.
A rifle weapon would be a better fit IMO - hard hitting, slow, very simple animation, and still perfectly accurate. Hell, I might even try to make sprites for it!
Last edited by Ijon Tichy on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:39 am

Ijon Tichy wrote: A rifle weapon would be a better fit IMO - hard hitting, slow, very simple animation, and still perfectly accurate. Hell, I might even try to make sprites for it!
Why bother making sprites? Just steal 'em from some mod! Of course, I'm partly joking.

Can't wait for your system! Sounds amazing.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

ArcheKruz

Post by ArcheKruz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:06 am

Ijon Tichy wrote:That could fit in slot 3, but you have to remember it needs to be Wolfenstein style. In Wolf3D, everything was perfectly accurate, and a shotgun is basically the opposite of perfectly accurate. I'm not the one who calls the shots, but I don't think it'd fit too well.
A rifle weapon would be a better fit IMO - hard hitting, slow, very simple animation, and still perfectly accurate. Hell, I might even try to make sprites for it!
A lever-action rifle might actually be a better idea, yes. Give it a +100 to painchance so that it can be used to stun enemies.

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:33 pm

If I were to be so bold as to suggest something, I would say give BJ an incendiary Trench Gun.
Probably not. BJ has the Spear because Doom's gameplay requires a VII as a room-clearing ultimate weapon, be it for hordes of monsters or to fight a bigass boss, or etc. A III isn't so needed--especially considering lack of a III is intentionally one of his weaknesses.
Sorry.
Can't wait for your system! Sounds amazing.
It's pretty kickass! It's mostly finished, we're just ironing out some bugs that have popped up in the strangest places, which mostly involves me flailing at the computer when things don't work and he sighs and fixes them once he gets home, but hey. At least I can still draw.

As a short preview:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:39 pm

You should do the same thing for ammo types now, they look out of place with the new changes.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Ijon Tichy

Post by Ijon Tichy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:47 pm

TerminusEst13 wrote: As a short preview:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Not pictured:
Spoiler: SPARKELZ (Open)

Trilkin
New User

Post by Trilkin » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:25 pm

I know that Samsara is mostly designed for DM, but I'm curious if there's any interest in watching a full Let's Play with a random character chosen for each episode of each of the supported iWADs - likely starting with Heretic since it's my favorite. It shouldn't take TOO long and it might reveal a few bugs or other oddities in the PvE side of the game. It also might just be fun to watch someone stumble through games he hasn't played since he was in middle school (in the case of Heretic and Hexen especially.)

If there is interest, should it be done with or without commentary? I know for some people that commentary is the true meat of a Let's Play, but I also don't like overreacting to things in an attempt to make it more interesting to watch than it already ought to be.

As an aside, wouldn't it be six builds to stop the infinite loop?
Last edited by Trilkin on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:23 pm

Any chance of getting doomguys original hud back without going in the wad and deleting crap in every build?

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:39 pm

I know that Samsara is mostly designed for DM, but I'm curious if there's any interest in watching a full Let's Play with a random character chosen for each episode of each of the supported iWADs - likely starting with Heretic since it's my favorite. It shouldn't take TOO long and it might reveal a few bugs or other oddities in the PvE side of the game. It also might just be fun to watch someone stumble through games he hasn't played since he was in middle school (in the case of Heretic and Hexen especially.)
I'd be really cool with that, and not just for the obvious reason of ego-stroking. (Ego? What ego?)
Igror's done a full playthrough of Chex Quest 3 with BJ/Doomguy/Parias and is currently going through Ultimate Doom with Duke, and because of it I've found and fixed several bugs. Watching from another person's perspective, along with seeing their favored weapons and how they use them, is marvelous for data-mining.
There's only so much you can get from someone losing to the Hammer of Retribution and they scream "OP, OP, OP", but watching someone play in action is a treat and a half. In large DM/CTF servers, most of the time I spectate for this very reason.

As for commentary/no commentary, well, keep in mind not all commentary has to be for comedy. You can also be informative and/or give history behind the games or surrounding the design decisions, as well as What Could Have Been. Alternatively, if you want to be more low-key, you can use the YouTube subtitles for optional commentary that someone can click off.

Any chance of getting doomguys original hud back without going in the wad and deleting crap in every build?
Er, the current HUD is already based on his original HUD. Elaborate, please?
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:00 pm

Yes it's based on doomguys hud but it isn't the exact hud,with the same textures, is it?

Triple S

Post by Triple S » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:36 am

Going through Hexen with each character... so far I've felt that Duke absolutely DESTROYS Hexen. For some reason his damage in Hexen is ridiculous. Seems not nearly as bad in Heretic, for instance, so I dunno. BJ seemed alright, Doomguy actually seemed really weak in Hexen.

On the note of Duke, would it be possible to make the splash of his explosives not blocked by enemies? His crowd control would be better if I could, say, shoot the explosive shotgun at a group of enemies and all of them get hit by the splash of the pellets. Maybe lower the damage of his explosives as a trade-off? As it is, he can really only hit two or maybe three enemies with splash damage.

Ijon Tichy

Post by Ijon Tichy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:53 am

Changelogs of what's goin' on so far:

http://pastebin.com/N4MpCsXZ (git log)
http://pastebin.com/PVEZ3h2U (TerminusEst13's summarised log)

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:14 am

Yess, thanks!

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 pm

His crowd control would be better if I could, say, shoot the explosive shotgun at a group of enemies and all of them get hit by the splash of the pellets. Maybe lower the damage of his explosives as a trade-off? As it is, he can really only hit two or maybe three enemies with splash damage.
I'm actually thinking something close to this right now. Initially I gave his rockets higher damage and a lesser radius to set them apart from Doomguy's, but from a crowd control standpoint this really doesn't make any sense--especially considering I say right there in the Changes section that they were based off Doomguy's. So I'll be putting them at more regular numbers, which should give them a better radius to hit more enemies with.

Flynn_Taggart95

Post by Flynn_Taggart95 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:28 pm

Has anyone suggested Quake guy (Ranger) as a new character, yet? He would be pretty cool to play as in a DM. Plus he already has a 7 weapon setup. Although you'd have to get sprites from model-rips.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Quake would be the only non-doom character I'd completely love to see in this mod

Medicris
Forum Regular

Post by Medicris » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:44 am

Quake I and II guys have already been pretty much done, but it would be incredible to see Q1's Ranger in Samsara mingling with the rest of the classes.

Unless well, you're restricting yourself to 2.5D games. I can understand that. Delve too far ahead in the "ages" and soon you'll be getting requests to do HL1 Gordon Freeman.

EDIT: I've just received word that the Generations Arena project was made by <ARG> (specifically Zombieman), so forward permission requests to them. Hey, you already have a headstart for models and resources if you do.
Last edited by Medicris on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArcheKruz

Post by ArcheKruz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:52 am

I'd sooner rather see Caleb and Lo-Wang.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:04 pm

soon you'll be getting requests to do HL1 Gordon Freeman.
Bit late for that, someone even already submitted a character sheet for him. :p
(Doesn't mean he's confirmed, mind)
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ijon Tichy

RE: Samsara - v0.25c - Six builds just to stop a simple infinite loop crash.

Post by Ijon Tichy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:54 am

Okay so 0.26 is almost around the corner. Most all bugs I know of have been fixed, albeit with the ACS codebase becoming more and more nasty. Do not touch the weapon code - thanks to the Security Officer, it's needed more duct tape than any code I've made ever. At least there's a sweet-ass unique and weapon pickup system now...

BTW Doomguy confirmed to be in 0.26

edit:

Code: Select all

20:02 <@TerminusEst13> Doomguy is getting removed and replaced with Codguy.
20:02 <%ijon> GOD
20:02 <%ijon> DAMMIT
welp never mind
Last edited by Ijon Tichy on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.