Samsara - No longer under active development.

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Samsara (Concept build) - v0.15

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:41 am

-mini and dual zorchers' shots don't produce light like the other hitscan zorcher weapons
Noted and fixed, thank you.
-HUD message when picking up slot 2 ammo for Blazkowicz hasn't been changed to correspond to the ammo and amount he gets from them (or is it not possible to change it for a specific character?)
It's possible, but not with Zandronum at the moment. The engine doesn't recognize A_Log currently, which allows you to put individual messages in the corner like a typical HUD message, but once it does then I'll be sure to change them to accommodate the proper ammo pickups.
Also I wonder how you'll implement the ammo and weapon types for the Hexen characters?
Nothing so clever, unfortunately. There's a lot of good weapons, but putting three separate classes would take up too much of Zandronum's limited-to-seven-classes-in-singleplayer roster.

Animal Mother

Post by Animal Mother » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:23 am

Nothing so clever, unfortunately. There's a lot of good weapons, but putting three separate classes would take up too much of Zandronum's limited-to-seven-classes-in-singleplayer roster.
So only one Hexen character wielding most of the Hexen weapons then? Well if it means more room for other characters then I'm all for it, I don't particularly care for Hexen anyway.

-Spectres zorched are summoned back by the archvile as regular demons
-Monsters being summoned back return semi-transparent if you shoot them while they are being summoned back (I was able to reproduce this with the demon, spectre, imp and cacodemon using the rapid zorcher on them while being summoned, but was unable to with the hellknight for some reason, maybe related to pain chance?)
-I noticed that you added lights to the Doom hitscan weapons as well but the pistol is missing it

Also I guess this is kind of late but shouldn't Corvus' cloak be colored red?

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:53 am

New build out hopefully by the mid-week. Just need to finish up some sprites and polish up an item.
-Spectres zorched are summoned back by the archvile as regular demons
-Monsters being summoned back return semi-transparent if you shoot them while they are being summoned back (I was able to reproduce this with the demon, spectre, imp and cacodemon using the rapid zorcher on them while being summoned, but was unable to with the hellknight for some reason, maybe related to pain chance?)
-I noticed that you added lights to the Doom hitscan weapons as well but the pistol is missing it
Fixed, fixed, and fixed, thank you. And aye, it's pain chance--basically, putting them in a pain state interrupts their resurrection, and they never finish their fade in effect. It's a simple enough fix, really.
Also I guess this is kind of late but shouldn't Corvus' cloak be colored red?
Aye, it should. Unfortunately, if red is the changeable color, then that effects blood as well. Parias (the HeXen cleric) has this same issue.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Animal Mother

Post by Animal Mother » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:17 am

With the automap open, the HUD can only display up to 99 on the kill counter.

I stumbled upon a server testing the new version yesterday, grabbed it and have been playing with Parias for a bit. I know that you still have a lot of work to do with him but I noticed something that you may not yet be aware of. When you freeze an enemy and then you jump or fall on him, you fall into him and get stuck (can't move in any direction but you can easily jump out or attack to destroy them).

Would it be possible to make the light amp goggles give torches instead for Corvus and Parias?

Also, are you planning to make the chaos device do something for Doomguy, Chexster and Blazkowicz or do you plan to leave it as is?

And in case you didn't know, Corvus' gauntlets don't produce dynamic lights like all the other weapons do.

EDIT:

The cursor for navigating the inventory is off in Heretic. It's fine in Doom and Chex Quest but I haven't tested Hexen.

In version 0.15f, the LAZ device sometimes kills/gibs enemies.
Last edited by Animal Mother on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TerminusEst13

RE: Samsara - v0.16 - Parias is here to kick ass for the Lord!

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:05 pm

Fixed, will tweak later, done, not quite sure yet, fixed, fixed, and can't fix yet until Zandronum updates Decorate support.

Also, version 0.16 is released. While the biggest inclusions are B.J.'s toggle-able retro movement/Parias' inclusion/tentative Ultimate Doom support, there's a whole host of fixes and tweaks that should make things generally better. Please enjoy, everybody, and thank you for playing.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Animal Mother

Post by Animal Mother » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:22 am

The cooldown for the flechette speeds up more and more when you use it in quick succession.

Control config menu doesn't remember the key for toggle retro movement. And upon starting a new game, you initially have to press the key twice to toggle to non-retro movement.

Hmm, I don't know if this was intentional but the ammo 2 pickups are back to giving 1:1 of ammo 1 for BJ and Parias, same thing with ammo 3 giving 1:1 of ammo 4 for Parias.
Last edited by Animal Mother on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:40 pm

The latest version (v0.16c) crashes Zandronum. It appears to start up, but no window appears, and I get a rainbow spinner of death as my computer starts locking up. I have to shut it down (by the button, if I'm too late). :(
***MARATHON SKINS PACK V1.0.7***

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh.
I have been called a hundred names and will be called
a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold.

Animal Mother

Post by Animal Mother » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:21 am

President People wrote: The latest version (v0.16c) crashes Zandronum. It appears to start up, but no window appears, and I get a rainbow spinner of death as my computer starts locking up. I have to shut it down (by the button, if I'm too late). :(
I had problems running 0.16c as well initially. If you downloaded it from the same place as I did (link), it's possible that the file is corrupt and you may have to try downloading it again. Sendspace gave me subtly corrupt files the first couple times I attempted to downloaded it. They didn't give me problems as drastic as locking up my computer but Zandronum failed to load them. I opened the pk3 up with 7zip and checked the file reported by Zandronum to contain an error and it turned out to be corrupted.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:46 am

Yeah, Sendspace is corrupting the testing builds and turning them into ticking timebombs server-wise and client-wise. I've had troubles as well ever since I tried the download for the test build, and it's kind of delayed the next release a bit.
I've been bouncing around for other places, looking for where else Doomseeker could download from, but in the meantime please don't try running 0.16c unless you know that it runs well. I'm deeply sorry for any troubles that it causes.

On the plus side, here's a small peek of something to expect from 0.17!

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hece
Forum Regular

Post by Hece » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Neat!

TerminusEst13

RE: Samsara - v0.17 - My god that's a lot of fixes.

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:41 am

And 0.17 is released! I wish I could say there's one single overwhelming feature that shines everything out, but 0.17 is just generally better better better all around.
A very special thank you to Battery Black, Animal Mother, and others for being such diligent and thorough testers!

Screenshots/video coming later, I'm fuckin' wiped, haha.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Animal Mother

Post by Animal Mother » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:43 pm

I think my favorite part of the new update is the improvements to Chex Quest support.

Noticed something, enemies drop their ammo right when you freeze them then they drop ammo again when you shatter their frozen statue.

Also, the health/armor/ammo counters in the HUD now change color depending on their value, right? When they reach zero they use the same color as the normal state instead of the critical state.

In Chex Quest, body parts of some of the monsters remain floating in midair when you kill them on lifts for example. The mechanical remains of the armored bipedicus, the cycloptis and the super cycloptis are the most apparent ones. The bouncing parts of some of the monsters (such as the quadrumpus, cycloptis and super cycloptis) probably work differently so making them go up and down with the lifts is more complicated than I imagine but the aforementioned mechanical remains seem to work pretty much the same way as regular corpses do so making them follow lifts shouldn't be a problem.

Corvus and Parias can pick up their light amplification (Torch) even when they are already carrying the maximum amount. BJ and the previously mentioned heroes can pick up their unique items even when they are already carrying the maximum amount. Also, while Corvus can correctly carry a max of 16 morph ovums in Heretic, in other IWADs he can carry a maximum of 25.
Last edited by Animal Mother on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:49 pm

Fixed, intentional but I can change it if it looks weird, fixed, and fixed, thank you.
The bouncing parts of some of the monsters [...] probably work differently so making them go up and down with the lifts is more complicated than I imagine but the aforementioned mechanical remains seem to work pretty much the same way as regular corpses do so making them follow lifts shouldn't be a problem.
It's actually not too complicated. The monsters go up and down on lifts, corpse or alive, because they have the +MOVEWITHSECTOR flag--so whenever the sector moves up and down, they move along with it.
So, I just add that onto the remains and they should move as well!
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Animal Mother

Post by Animal Mother » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:03 pm

intentional but I can change it if it looks weird
If you're taking votes, my vote would be to get rid of the color coding altogether to imitate the look of the original HUDs better.

Played more of Chex Quest and I got to tell you it's more fun than ever. Those stridicus guys are challenging to fight and that Lord Snotfolus, holy dicks does that guy kick ass now, still haven't managed to beat him in the three times I've tried. Now I wish people made more levelsets for Chex Quest.

Found a couple of things though. The blue marks that are normally momentarily left on walls by Doomguy's plasma rifle look different in Chex Quest. They're colored red and circular and they're off-center.

EDIT: Checked Heretic, and the blue marks are absent. This issue is probably also true for other non-Doom IWADs.

Also, the ammo counters are colored green in Chex Quest in Zandronum but they're correctly color yellow in ZDoom. Is that another limitation of Zandronum? I checked the older screenshots as reference and it seems like they have been green back then too.

I understand that you still plan to add cosmetic improvements to the mod in the future but in case you haven't thought of it, could you add dynamic lights to the zorch pain and death animations of the flemoids?

The tomed dragon claw and hellstaff only consume one unit of ammo each when they should be consuming 5.

Weapons don't auto switch when empty/ammo is insufficient for use:
-Phoenix Rod
-BJ's Rocket launcher
-Firestorm
-Wraithverge

The plasma rifle and phasing zorcher are supposed to be able to fire one shot a time. Currently they act like the chaingun and fire at least two shots when the fire key is pressed. (The Hellstaff and BJ's flamethrower have this same behavior too but I checked with vanilla Heretic and it seems that the former is supposed to be that way and as for the flamethrower, I have no idea)

I had a first try in playing a Chex Quest level set, Chex Quest: The Lost Quest. One thing is immediately apparent, the new death and pain animations of flemoids are nowhere to be seen.
Last edited by Animal Mother on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:42 pm

When loading a saved game, the mugshot of the character that was being played when you started is still used. For example, I boot up Zandronum and Doomguy is automatically chosen. I load my Corvus saved game, and DooMGuy's face is still there.

For now, starting a new game with the desired character and loading the saved game again will fix this. Unless like, you wanted to play as DooMGuy with Corvus' weapons. :)

The boss monologues are pretty awesome, by the way. It adds character to otherwise distant just-the-boss-at-the-end-of-the-game enemies. Really sets up for the final showdown. :)
***MARATHON SKINS PACK V1.0.7***

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh.
I have been called a hundred names and will be called
a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold.

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:12 pm

I had a first try in playing a Chex Quest level set, Chex Quest: The Lost Quest. One thing is immediately apparent, the new death and pain animations of flemoids are nowhere to be seen.
Just gave it a shot, and I'm afraid there's not much I can do about that, sorry. For some reason, The Lost Quest guys decided to replace the Flemoids with custom enemies that behave exactly like the existing Flemoids--and because the Lost Quest operates off Chex Quest 1 rather than Chex Quest 3, replacing them with the existing Flemoids would result in a lot of sprite borking (for example, Cyclops Flemoids being invisible).
Which is a shame, really, since I think it's one of the most promising Chex Quest mods out there.
Also, the ammo counters are colored green in Chex Quest in Zandronum but they're correctly color yellow in ZDoom. Is that another limitation of Zandronum?
It's more that Chex Quest 3 has custom font colors to turn red and gold/yellow into slime green respectively, which is the same reason you pick up a single armor bonus and the counter turns green as well.
It's very possible (and very easy) to deal with that by including the default font color and/or including a new font color file, but I'd be incredibly interested in seeing if that'd mess with any other wads and their custom font colors.
Found a couple of things though. The blue marks that are normally momentarily left on walls by Doomguy's plasma rifle look different in Chex Quest. They're colored red and circular and they're off-center.
Will fix, thank you.
Weapons don't auto switch when empty/ammo is insufficient for use:
-Phoenix Rod
-BJ's Rocket launcher
-Firestorm
-Wraithverge
Is there any extra information you can give on this? I just gave them all a shot and they seem to work fine for me.
could you add dynamic lights to the zorch pain and death animations of the flemoids?
Noted and added for the cosmetic improvements section, thank you.
When loading a saved game, the mugshot of the character that was being played when you started is still used. For example, I boot up Zandronum and Doomguy is automatically chosen. I load my Corvus saved game, and DooMGuy's face is still there.
For now, starting a new game with the desired character and loading the saved game again will fix this. Unless like, you wanted to play as DooMGuy with Corvus' weapons. :)
Oogh, that's really worrying. I'll have to figure out what's going on with that, and/or if it's fixable.
The boss monologues are pretty awesome, by the way. It adds character to otherwise distant just-the-boss-at-the-end-of-the-game enemies. Really sets up for the final showdown. :)
Thank you very much! I had a lot of fun writing them.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Animal Mother

Post by Animal Mother » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:54 pm

TerminusEst13 wrote: Is there any extra information you can give on this? I just gave them all a shot and they seem to work fine for me.
Well what I mean is that when you use the weapon and you fired the last of its ammo, it's supposed to immediately switch to a weapon that has ammo, even before you attempt to fire again. Those weapons that I listed do switch when they're empty but you have to press fire first. To illustrate, play as Doomguy and give yourself the rocket launcher. Fire both the rockets of the rocket launcher and after that it will immediately switch to the pistol. Now try playing as Corvus and give yourself the phoenix rod. Again fire both rockets but this time note how it will remain on your hands, it will only switch out when you attempt to fire again. If you always hold down the fire key when emptying a weapon you may not notice this so try tapping only.
President People wrote: When loading a saved game, the mugshot of the character that was being played when you started is still used. For example, I boot up Zandronum and Doomguy is automatically chosen. I load my Corvus saved game, and DooMGuy's face is still there.
Just so you know, this bug isn't present in the ZDoom version, or at least I can't reproduce it with ZDoom.

XutaWoo
Forum Regular

Post by XutaWoo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:23 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about fixing it, just reporting it. It seems more like a Zand bug than anything due to the mod.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

mifu
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Post by mifu » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:56 am

Hi there.

I had a play around with this mod. I liked it so much, I decided to do this for you.

http://mifusbasement.rfc1337.net/?p=49

Enjoy :)

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:40 am

Oh, wow, thanks a bunch!
I know I say this over and over, but every time I mean it: I appreciate everyone's support and am very glad people enjoy it--I'll try my best to keep improving it in every way I can.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.