WhoDunIt - Finally Released!

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Mooseknuckle

RE: Who Dun It 3: The Revenge of Who Dun It

Post by Mooseknuckle » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:27 pm

Theshooter7 wrote: Alright everyone, the new resource has been sent out. If you did not receive a PM about it and you are making a map for this project, please send me a PM so I can give you the download link.

To everyone else:
I'm contemplating some small gameplay changes involving the melee system. In a sense, I can remove the "lockon" effect that happens when you melee someone (by using short-range railguns instead of melee attacks). Nothing else about melee attacks would change but you'll no longer automatically turn to face your target when you hit them. The rail attack will also mean you can take full advantage of your opponents hitbox and actually him them on the sides and such instead of having to aim for their center.

I was thinking of implementing this for just some weapons though. In particular, the Pipe and Wrench, since they only strike with one attack frame and would benefit most from this. The Shovel, Pool Cue, and Knife have multiple attack frames and work well enough with them at current. What are your thoughts on changing the melee system in this manner?

Also: hot stuff
I think we already talked about this, but for pin-point weapons like the pipe and wrench, it'd make them a lot more useful. I approve.

EDIT: Specifically because they're more "hit and run" style weapons whereas the shovel, pool cue, and knife are weapons that require aggression and staying on the target to use them most effectively.
Last edited by Mooseknuckle on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theshooter7
Forum Regular

RE: Who Dun It: #MOLO

Post by Theshooter7 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:15 pm

WHOOPS. Nevermind, didn't realize until now that Railgun distance was a new thing in ZDoom and thus cannot be added here. Sorry.

Synert
Forum Regular

Post by Synert » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:59 am

Could you not just use a ranged hitscan instead?

Theshooter7
Forum Regular

Post by Theshooter7 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:25 am

Synert wrote: Could you not just use a ranged hitscan instead?
The problem is that then it'd have random damage. Otherwise, I'd use that for sure (and if it had the explicit angle flags, I could even make melee attacks actually "sweep" across an area)

Sicamore
Forum Regular
Clan: Scientific DM Acad
Clan Tag: [SDA]

Post by Sicamore » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:15 am

Thank you theshooter 7 so much for the new resource! It works smoothly and without error. Now i wont have to worry about skulltag data autoloads.

:D

EDIT:

I just noticed the brick, molotov and arrow don't break windows. Perhaps this is fixable in map by placing linedef to projectile passes as well, but it may be an issue. Other than that, its pretty much perfect.
Last edited by Sicamore on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theshooter7
Forum Regular

Post by Theshooter7 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:47 am

Sicamore wrote: EDIT:

I just noticed the brick, molotov and arrow don't break windows. Perhaps this is fixable in map by placing linedef to projectile passes as well, but it may be an issue. Other than that, its pretty much perfect.
They work fine on other maps that have windows, such as WDI03. Did you setup your windows correctly?

Jigsaw
Forum Regular

Post by Jigsaw » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:48 am

I think it's my turn to show off some of my map.. It's not very detailed and has some misalignments at the moment, but I'm working on it ;)
Spoiler: A table saw in the basement. Yes, it kills you. (Open)
Spoiler: The main entrance. (Open)
Spoiler: Outside area. (Open)
Spoiler: A piano! And it works! (Open)
That's all for now, hope you enjoy it :)

EDIT: Do you guys think it's a wise idea to rework and bring back the Luger only in my map, and to have a nerfed knife for innocents (which would be very rare though)?
Last edited by Jigsaw on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theshooter7
Forum Regular

Post by Theshooter7 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:44 pm

Maps lookin' alright so far. Just needs more detail and such like you mentioned. :P

And no I'd rather not bring back the Luger since it'd basically be a reskinned Beretta and there wouldn't be much point to it (which reminds me I need to try and go through and remove all unused resources from the pk3 sometime soon). As for the knife, that would get extremely confusing very quickly if an innocent was holding a knife when they shouldn't be; everyone would gang up on him the moment he enters a room with it drawn.

Jigsaw
Forum Regular

Post by Jigsaw » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:21 pm

Ok, i suck at DECORATE anyway :P
About the resources you mentioned earlier, can you send them to me? Would be better to develop with the new stuff.

Theshooter7
Forum Regular

Post by Theshooter7 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Forwarded the resources to you. :)

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:04 pm

The bow has an exploit that lets you get 2 bolts back instead of 1... wont tell it here but can't see it in the changelog so wondering if it has been fixed?

Zeberpal
Forum Regular

Post by Zeberpal » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:17 pm

As far as I know it was in future version.
Image ImageImage

Sicamore
Forum Regular
Clan: Scientific DM Acad
Clan Tag: [SDA]

Post by Sicamore » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:55 pm

:o i shall check my windows

Zeberpal
Forum Regular

Post by Zeberpal » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:58 pm

I got three little suggestions. I have to warn they are a bit upstart :
1) to remove D_LEVEL1 from wdi02, since thunder acts like music accompaniment and it makes map more deep. So it was in first betas. To be honest it was extremely scary with that 1on1 silence, hiding and listening closely to enemy's steps. IMO this is where minimal of sounds is better than music.WDI05 need D_LEVEL1 but WDI02 is a different story.
2) in WDI05 make machinery scrolling ( to add some dynamicity to that area), and add machinery sound.
3) THis may be out too revolutionary and not same views with devs suggestion. to add custom script command, where chasing dot does not appear for. I was thinking to make small slaughter house map sometime which would all about decoration, hearing, scaring, lots of hiding and less fighting. To make players scare if he will find you or not? Just for that style of map.

EDIT: 3) or replace X dot with heartbeating sound sticked to innocent.
Last edited by Zeberpal on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageImage

Mooseknuckle

Post by Mooseknuckle » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:32 pm

Zeberpal wrote: I got three little suggestions. I have to warn they are a bit upstart :
1) to remove D_LEVEL1 from wdi02, since thunder acts like music accompaniment and it makes map more deep. So it was in first betas. To be honest it was extremely scary with that 1on1 silence, hiding and listening closely to enemy's steps. IMO this is where minimal of sounds is better than music.WDI05 need D_LEVEL1 but WDI02 is a different story.
2) in WDI05 make machinery scrolling ( to add some dynamicity to that area), and add machinery sound.
3) THis may be out too revolutionary and not same views with devs suggestion. to add custom script command, where chasing dot does not appear for. I was thinking to make small slaughter house map sometime which would all about decoration, hearing, scaring, lots of hiding and less fighting. To make players scare if he will find you or not? Just for that style of map.

EDIT: 3) or replace X dot with heartbeating sound sticked to innocent.
The heartbeat idea is actually pretty cool.

Theshooter7
Forum Regular

Post by Theshooter7 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:42 am

@Zeberpal:

1) The music will stay. Every map should have some kind of ambient track to go with it, and it'd be awkward to remove WDI02's music track. Though I would not mind it if someone found a quieter or simply different ambient track for the map (I've been browsing modarchive and newgrounds music portal but haven't found much of interest yet). At current, WDI02 + WDI05 share the same track, and WDI01 + WDI06 share the same track as well. WDI03 and WDI04 are the only official maps right now to have unique music to go with them.

2) I'm going against this simply because the machinery should not be running; there is no one there to operate it so why would random machinery be going? Although it might not be a bad idea to add a button in the office room (the room with the safe key) that could turn the machinery on/off.

3) The tracker was added for many reasons, the main one being that end game finales became way too campy without it. The last player would just find a good hiding spot and wait for the murd to go mental, thus winning the game for the innocents. It was insanely cheap, and ruined several good murd runs after killing roughly a dozen people just to die because the last person hid too well. Removing it is a really, really bad idea and I will not add an option to disable it. To be fair, though, I could toy with the idea of a heartbeat sound as the form of tracking and perhaps implement it for a new game mode. BUT this will only be if I actually have the time and willingness to make new game modes at all.

Kashtanka
Registered just to make one post

Post by Kashtanka » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:04 pm

Theshooter7
Forum Regular

Post by Theshooter7 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:35 pm

Wow, that map is looking good.... :D

EDIT: I hope you didn't use any resources from Marsis, though.
Last edited by Theshooter7 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeberpal
Forum Regular

Post by Zeberpal » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:14 pm

Theshooter7 wrote: Wow, that map is looking good.... :D

EDIT: I hope you didn't use any resources from Marsis, though.

D:
lol, I understand though.
Image ImageImage

Jigsaw
Forum Regular

Post by Jigsaw » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:07 pm

I found a bug on Confinement which needs quick fixing.

Confinement has several new murdholes, and one of them (which leads into a tall corridor) has a bugged door. On one side you fall down, and the other door won't open so you are stuck in dead end. I had to RQ :(