Wrath of Cronos RPG 1.8A

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Thetis

RE: Hexen: Wrath of Cronos RPG Mod RC1

Post by Thetis » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:16 am

Updated to RC2. Get it here!

Major changes include new SFX such as projectile particles and such.

There are several bug fixes as well as couple of balance changes.

Several weapons have improved animations on them.
Spoiler: Full Changelog for RC2 (Open)
- Players are no longer ghosts. Now MTHRUSPECIES is utilized.
- Players can now scroll through the attributes in the stats menu even when he has no points to spend (to read their descriptions).
- Fixed tooltip errors and added requirement information to obtain skills.
- Renamed the randomspawners to prevent confliction with Zandronum's invasion spawners.
- New Itemfog.
- Smoothened out weapon animations for the Sapphire Wand, Jade Wand, Serpent Staff, Firestorm, Glacial Crossbow, Ethereal Crossbow, and Hellforge Cannon.
- Glacial Crossbow side bolts are shot at a 4 degree angle, down from 10.
- Glacial Crossbow now homes in after 5 tics inflight.
- Hellforge Cannon secondary projectiles now bounce twice until exploding.
- New Particle effects for the Skullstaff, Bloodscourge, Timon's Axe, Firestorm, Morning Star, and Glacial Crossbow.
- Spike Trap actually works now.
- Fixed the spawning sounds of the hunter traps.
- Fullscreen HuD now displays current level, experience, and experience required to level up.
- Spiked Gauntlets now has extra damage on the third attack, ala vanilla Hexen.
- Tan Flask when used, now throws the flask and upon hitting a wall, floor, ceiling, or actor, it shatters into several glass shards, causing damage to monsters who steps on the glass.
- The game now forces compat_clientssendfullbuttoninfo to be TRUE.
- Block now forces the player to have the machete as the selected weapon.
- Hunter now has a unique XP Bar image, like the other classes.
- Mighty Blow damage output increased.
- Added GLDEFS for red flask.
- Players can no longer drop their weapons.
Last edited by Thetis on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Animal Mother

RE: Hexen: Wrath of Cronos RPG Mod RC2

Post by Animal Mother » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:43 am

Error message in GZDoom: "Error p-code 134 in script 987"

The XP and level display could be better placed in the fullscreen HUD. Right now it overlaps with the alchemy menu and the tooltips that appear on the top of the screen when navigating the menus. Maybe place them next to the health and armor display? Or you could relocate the alchemy menu instead?

You might want to consider removing/minimalizing the "skill/attribute points available" notification since it can only annoy a player who may want to save several skill points to dump later into one skill which he cannot put points into yet since he currently doesn't meet the level requirement.

Is the red flask and its explosion supposed to look semi-transparent?

Since we can now scroll through inventory items even if we don't have any of an item, I think it would be better if you could display the number 1 when we have one unit of an item. It's a bit jarring when you have 2 or more of an item then the number is displayed and when you have one left the number is gone BUT then the number display is back again when it's zero. Alternatively, you can just use the vanilla behavior and make inventory items that are zero unselectable. I'd prefer this (since it allows for faster item selection) but you might have reasons why you allowed to scroll through empty items.

It seems like you lose any additional XP when you level up. For example, if I only need 1 more XP to reach next level, then I kill an ettin which is supposed to give 20 XP, I essentially only get 1 XP. This could be frustrating if you only need a tiny bit of XP to level up then you kill a an elite class monster which is supposed to give a lot of XP.

I can't figure out the aura skills for Parias. First, I'm not sure if they even have an effect. Second, I can't toggle them off once I activate them. Third, they don't consume magick. Fourth, they only look to remain active in the level you activated them, if you leave the level, the icon vanishes then when you return to the level, the icon returns. Also, the icons that indicate the active aura obscure the key icons in the fullscreen HUD. And only one icon can be displayed at a time, though maybe that's because you mean to have only one aura active at a time.

Parias' hand is cut off at the bottom in the sprite for the flail/morningstar. Though this is only visible if you play with the fullscreen HUD. Apparently, the original sprite was also cut off but maybe you could improve it.

The enchanted bow isn't automatically withdrawn when you run out of mana.
The quietus doesn't automatically shift to the unpowered state when you run out of mana (as opposed to the hammer which does).
The quietus doesn't automatically shift to the powered state when you gain sufficient mana (again, as opposed to the hammer).
(Actually a lot of the other weapons in vanilla Hexen also don't get automatically withdrawn when out of mana, so it's up to you if you want to change their behavior along with the behavior of these weapons or not)
By the way, I really like the feature where you can choose to use the unpowered version of some of the weapons even if you have mana for them.

The quietus gives an irregular amount of mana upon pickup. It gives 26 blue mana and 52 green mana (other classes receive 26 of each mana for their ultimate weapon). The hammer also gives way more mana than other weapons upon pickup (62 as opposed to 33).

I just realized that the morningstar is colored yellow because that indicates that it's powered up. I think the effect could be improved if it's possible, maybe use yellow outlines instead like the Timon's Axe has blue outlines in vanilla Hexen when it's powered up?

Consistency between the gloves/hands in the machete and the one in the enchanted bow would be nice.

The bishop with the black robe with the red stripes and fires yellow ball projectiles always attacks his fellow bishops.

In Deathwind Chapel, in the part where a bunch of centaurs teleport in, I experienced a ridiculous amount of enemies in this mod.
[spoiler]
What you see here is probably only a third of the enemies that I encountered.[/spoiler]

Another endless horde of enemies, this time in Dungeons. I don't think it's ever going to end. I've been killing these Ettins for a good ten minutes.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by Animal Mother on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alpha
New User

Post by Alpha » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:53 pm

I've downloaded the update, didn't really found anything wrong with it so far; just that you can not load previous save files from the earlier version of Wrath of Cronos. I'm still using Zandronum; single player the saves and loads are still working correctly, but I'll let you know if I find anything worth fixing. In the mean time keep up the good work!

Thetis

Post by Thetis » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:17 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Just showing what I am working on at the moment. It also changes color based on target friendliness.
Last edited by The Toxic Avenger on Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:21 am

Another cool thing you could do is put some sort of symbol by their HP indicating they are a power creature. It could help when identifying targets at long range.

VikingBoyBilly
New User

Post by VikingBoyBilly » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:04 pm

My friend and I have been playing this in co-op mode on skill 5. It felt fun at first, but by Shadow Wood we were constantly getting pwned by enemies. We were like, "ok, when we level up and get stronger it won't be so bad." But towards the end these enemies are still ridiculously strong. The worst thing of all, and it pains me to even say this, but the deadliest enemy is bats. freaking bats of all things. Bats SHOULD NOT BE THE DEADLIEST ENEMY IN THE GAME. They should only nick off about a couple damage points, but they take about 25-50 hp with every bite. What's with that?

After killing korax we figured out that we could load deathkings and warp directly to the first deathkings level with our stats and items. So it should be getting more fun right?

No.

That's when I read about the scaling enemies on this thread. I'm supportive of finding ways to keep the difficulty curve sensible through the game, but this just isn't my favorite way of doing it. It destroys the point of playing an RPG. You know, getting stronger to the point that you can kill weaker enemies with less effort and it feels so good to see the difference? Not here. Even though I have 21 strength it still takes six hits with my mace to kill an ettin. I might as well not evel level up strength and pool it all into my max mana, which i really need since i burn through it so fast.

I guess it would be ok if it were just their health, but their damage output is brutal. Especially for my friend playing as a mage. If it weren't for his ability to recover my mana and my ability to recover his health, we might have thrown in the towel.

There are stronger alternative enemies like the ettin commanders and magma serpents that appear once in a while. I'm thinking, if you want a way to adjust the difficulty curve with our levels, how about raising the chance of those stronger monsters appearing in the place of those normal ettins or dark bishops and afrits? I think it would have made for a more interesting game of deathkings to be battling hordes of ettin commanders with occasional ettin devils that aren't overpowered than to be fighting armies of normal ettins that seem overpowered. Just my thoughts.

Oh, and we got stuck on that gibbet level where the bug made the heresiarch not appear. I think the extra enemies makes it impossible to pass through it now.
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thetis

Post by Thetis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:11 pm

So... I decided to actually do something and actually update this thread after constantly playing this online with some friends.

Anyway, Doom compatability is now added along with a plethora of changes which is too long to list.

Download Release 1.1 Here!

Download the Not Hexen Patch Here! (Load before release 1.1 if you are not playing on Hexen)

Download the Doom Patch Here! (Load after release 1.1 if you are playing on Doom)

Lord_of_D:
Posts a lot

RE: Wrath of Cronos RPG Mod Release 1.1

Post by Lord_of_D: » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:58 pm

cool, hope to see a server with this soon

Animal Mother

Post by Animal Mother » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:40 am

Great release, man. This is a lot more polished than the RC versions and the added Doom support is very nice. Haven't done a full playthrough of Hexen yet but I did finish Congestion 1024 with the barbarian. I noticed that since the mana pickups have different dimensions compared to the Doom ammo pickups, they can be hard/impossible to reach depending on how they're placed in some Doom levels (usually when they're placed in an elevated position). I had no trouble reaching the inventory items though. Also, I'm still getting the error message "Error p-code 134 in script 987" in GZDoom whenever entering a new level.

CtrlAltDestory

Post by CtrlAltDestory » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:30 am

May I suggest that you don't make the hud look so futuristic/sleek as well as modify the Alchemy menu just slightly so its not mashed up against the top left of the screen; Maybe flesh out the Alchemy system a bit too. I love Wrath of Cronos though its amazing, Nice to see Hexen getting some love.
Last edited by CtrlAltDestory on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thetis

Post by Thetis » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:22 pm

Updated to Release 1.2b. I didn't want to update the mod very quickly in the event that I would find a few bugs in 1.2. It turns out I did so 1.2b it is. Also, I created a low gore patch which shortens the duration of gibs and blood to two seconds.

Download Release 1.2b Here!

Download the Not Hexen Patch Here! (Load before release 1.2b if you are not playing on Hexen)

Download the Doom Patch 1.2b Here! (Load after release 1.2b if you are playing on Doom)
Last edited by Thetis on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CtrlAltDestory

RE: Wrath of Cronos RPG Mod Release 1.2B

Post by CtrlAltDestory » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:11 am

Ideas:
When an Item is selected in the hot bar at the bottom right of the screen for a few seconds if it were to say what it was it would be nice.
In the Info area I think that if you were to list each item and what they did (Even ones that you diden't make but to make it feel whole you should do them) it would be very nice.
Instead of Left Click and Right click, using E for everything in the Stat, Ability and Alchemy areas would be nice; maybe as an option or something if you dont like this as much as I do.

Constructive Criticism:
I feel that the Raven looks odd and some of the Monsters that were added are too bright for the feel of Hexen.
Last edited by CtrlAltDestory on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Argosax
New User

Post by Argosax » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:01 am

JUST AWESOME! 1.2 B
can u put awesome sounds in Bow & Crossbows?

CtrlAltDestory

Hey Thetis check this post out.

Post by CtrlAltDestory » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:13 pm

I recommend in Viscerus.txt to replace your A_MonsterRefire's with A_Jump due to an error that occurs for me. I may be using an old Zandronum though. Ive been replacing it for my personal use though. BTW I made some of my own edits to the mod and I was wondering if you would like to see them. I added a New Class, 2 New Weapons and Edited existing weapons to be a little more control friendly :P If you wanna see it Ill send you it in a PM, I'm packing it up for you as I say this. The class is a bit of a Gamble Class because the Primary Weapon I gave to it has a lot of Randomness to its damage so you could be a god one second then get cornered by the weakest monsters the other, its a don't let your self get into certain situations class that is good as a support class. If I could figure out your Skill trees a little better (I haven't looked into it too much) I would have given him a Blood Transfusion skill that allowed the person who he hits to Vampire health from him but I haven't looked into it enough to figure out how to do that.

Note: I separated the files so you could look at them before putting them into the pk3 :) WEAPONS has only edited a few weapons I forget which but I know that all the weapons that were thrown were edited as well as Quietus I think that's all but I wish I remembered which exact weapons I edited. I also within the ACS folder I added a sub-folder called Source so you can see what I did in my ACS (Its not much its just my own little Critical Mechanic).

Another Note: If you allow me to continue Ill work on the Raven to make it a little more Sprite Friendly as well as try to do the Item Hotbar Names even though I just started learning ACS but this would be a good learning experience for me (I've known Decorate for a While but I couldn't find a good tutorial for ACS so I just didn't do anything until I noticed that Youtube might have ACS tutorials and there were :)).

Sorry for All the Notes Note: If I could I'd love to work on this project. If I cant that's fine and I wont release my Patches for it unless you want me to.
Last edited by CtrlAltDestory on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thetis

Post by Thetis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:01 pm

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by making the existed weapons to be more control friendly?

CtrlAltDestory

Post by CtrlAltDestory » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:48 am

Thetis wrote: Out of curiosity, what do you mean by making the existed weapons to be more control friendly?
Some would fire 1 second after you click not when you clicked it was rare but I fixed it. I also swapped Attack and Alternate Attack on Weapons that could be thrown so you hit with Attack and Throw with Alternate Attack, It didn't feel right to me; I felt all out of sorts when using those weapons. It might have been a personal problem the Attack and Alternate attack though :P

Oh btw do you mind if I make a "MMORPG" world for this (Cities with Shops, Quests and an Open world)?
Last edited by CtrlAltDestory on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thetis

Post by Thetis » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:53 am

CtrlAltDestory wrote: Some would fire 1 second after you click not when you clicked it was rare but I fixed it. I also swapped Attack and Alternate Attack on Weapons that could be thrown so you hit with Attack and Throw with Alternate Attack, It didn't feel right to me; I felt all out of sorts when using those weapons. It might have been a personal problem the Attack and Alternate attack though :P
Which weapons would fire after you clicked not when you clicked? Also, the reason why the the melee and ranged functions of the Axe and Hammer are reciprocated is because it was to mirror how the primary weapon attacks worked in vanilla Hexen, Axe being melee and Hammer being ranged.
CtrlAltDestory wrote: Oh btw do you mind if I make a "MMORPG" world for this (Cities with Shops, Quests and an Open world)?
An RPG world would be an interesting thing to make for this but don't you think that's alot of work?

Bloax
Forum Regular

Post by Bloax » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:00 am

Afrits are stupidly strong in a very stupid way. The only reason they're really "hard" is because they spam a constant stream of death whilst being the second smallest flying target.
They're also stupidly powerful up close. 1000 Hp? Afrit don't care. Dead in seconds.

tl;dr I really don't like them. That mass-spam of homing revenant missiles doesn't really help either.

CtrlAltDestory

Post by CtrlAltDestory » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Thetis wrote:-snip-
I know it was Vanilla Hexen but arent mods supposed to sometimes fix the problems the original game had? Also I have lots of spare time I can do the MMORPG, no biggie.
Last edited by CtrlAltDestory on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thetis

RE: Wrath of Cronos RPG Mod Release 1.3A

Post by Thetis » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:41 am

Updated Wrath of Cronos to 1.3A.

This update introduces a new class into the mix, the Necromancer. The Necromancer is an intristic class, utilizing darkness, blood, and poisons to fight. Also, the Necromancer has access to powerful undead summons to help him out.

This update also adds Heretic support through an external wad, just like Doom. The Heretic monsters are slightly stronger, to compensate for the higher damage values this mod uses compared to Heretic. Sabreclaws also gain a jump attack so they function a bit more differently than golems.
Last edited by Thetis on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.