Wrath of Cronos RPG 1.8A

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
damico1989
New User

RE: Wrath of Cronos RPG 1.7B (Preview for Next Release)

Post by damico1989 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:54 pm

actually I fixed it but now im having trouble getting the monster sprite replacement to work (all the hexen monsters are invisible)

Tyketto
New User

Post by Tyketto » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:28 pm

I've finished yet another playthrough on my YouTube channel using Wrath of Cronos. This time I played as the Mage and completed Icarus: Alien Vanguard, the Doom 2 Megawad.

Check it out here, if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... EAH22JSDrX

damico1989
New User

Post by damico1989 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:14 am

okay after getting everything up and running here are what i would like in all honesty (correct me if they exist)

with the monsters doom patch i notice that if i type in a command... like "summonfoe baronofhell" i notice that ill circulate between the actual baron and 2 or 3 hexen variants which is awesome.

but i notice that zombie men and cyberdemons and masterminds are totally overwritten, can you add all the variants please? I would love to see who is the strongest.

Also i notice there are no commands for the 3 hexen bosses (the mage, fighter, and cleric you have to kill before you face korax) can you add those guys in the game and console too?

I also notice that heresiarch and korax have no levels as their boss counter parts but have levels when replacing cyber and mastermind, is it possible to put in the actual spider master mind and cyber and instead have korax and heresiarch's levels scale too?

If i am mistaken (which i might be, i dont know a whole lot about the summon console) the wendigo and mancibus and i beleive revenant dont have any console summon commands either, could that be added?

I'll get back to you with more feed back on gameplay but they are awesome oh and the legend skill monster doesnt scale to level and i dont think the raven does either but all the other summons do (makes them overpowered or underpowered)

Thetis

Post by Thetis » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:36 pm

There's a reason why several monsters do not exist in the monster patch. They would end up clashing with the other monsters.

The Hexen version of the Heresiarch and Korax is there to set a sort of "benchmark".

I'll add the three hexen bosses into the monster pack later, but they will be heavily altered from their Hexen versions.

raysuko
New User

Post by raysuko » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:08 am

Saw you post version 1_7c out there, glad to see it updated. However your file named "wrathofcronosdoomtex1_7c.pk3" keeps turning up missing from the downloads on your BE server. The rest of the 1_7c files downloaded fine, but that one in particular refuses to not download and turn up as "Cannot Find" or "Not looking for Wads". I would recommend you check it out as to why this happening, cause I wanna see what's to be in 1_7c badly! D:

Or just update your topic here so we can download and explore 1_7c manually ;3
Last edited by raysuko on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thetis

RE: Wrath of Cronos RPG 1.8A

Post by Thetis » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:55 pm

With Zand 2.0 being released, here is an update. I would've updated this sooner, but I had to make some changes to accommodate with some Zand features. Also, modifying DBT's Hexen 2 texture replacer, I got a texture pack to be used with Doom to give it a more Hexen-y feel.

Anyway, here are the download links.

Wrath of Cronos Main File
Wrath of Cronos Doom Patch
Wrath of Cronos Heretic Patch
Wrath of Cronos Strife Patch
Wrath of Cronos Doom Monster Randomizer Patch
Wrath of Cronos Doom Texture Replacer
Wrath of Cronos Masters of Chaos Patch
Last edited by Thetis on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SID914
New User

Post by SID914 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:09 am

Love the new update and the new skills and replacements. I have to ask though, what happened to the list of cvars that used to be on page 1 of this thread? I want to have my summon not be leashed to me so I can have certain ones strategically placed on the maps.

Also can't wait to test out the new raven staff attack.

raysuko
New User

Post by raysuko » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:39 pm

THANK YOU!

Finally the Necromancer's minions will no longer be affected by my own attacks! That was a HUGE gripe to me cause it was always so annoying when my minions would be stun locked in place due to my own splash damage. Thank you so much for fixing this, and finally I can be all magic-a-blazing now without the worry of my minions getting in the way! <3

raysuko
New User

Post by raysuko » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:07 pm

Uh... well I am glad the 1.8A is out, but now the RPG Menu wont work. Getting the menu to scroll up and down doesnt work no matter how many times I switch around the controls.

1.8A is unplayable until this gets fixed.
Last edited by raysuko on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WaTaKiD
Master Server Admin

Post by WaTaKiD » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:05 pm

raysuko wrote: Uh... well I am glad the 1.8A is out, but now the RPG Menu wont work. Getting the menu to scroll up and down doesnt work no matter how many times I switch around the controls.

1.8A is unplayable until this gets fixed.
as noted in the OP, compat_clientssendfullbuttoninfo true is required if playing online
scrolling the menu should work fine if u do that

raysuko
New User

Post by raysuko » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:18 am

WaTaKiD wrote:as noted in the OP, compat_clientssendfullbuttoninfo true is required if playing online
scrolling the menu should work fine if u do that
I have no idea how to change it from False to True. Although I am also quite surprised this function was turned to False on the 1.8 update, considering how it was put as True from versions 1.4x - 1.7x by default.

EDIT: Tried entering it on server side, client side, and through the command prompt in-game and still the menu will not scroll. In my opinion, the compat_clientssendfullbuttoninfo should have been set to "True" by default like the rest of the previous versions. So...yeah, cant play it as it refuses to change to True. Looks like I am stuck with version 1.7c until this gets fixed.
Last edited by raysuko on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

SID914
New User

Post by SID914 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:42 pm

Cvars? The necromancer is seriously disadvantaged with the pet leash mode on. They aren't on the zdoom forums either.

SID914
New User

Post by SID914 » Fri May 15, 2015 11:53 am

Also shadow beasts are highly over-powered. I can handle cyberdemon replacements no problem and still manage to get killed by shadow beasts more easily. Doesn't matter what class I'm using. The invulnerability state when it spreads into multiple ghosts is ridiculous as well as the damage dealt by said ghosts.

In a small entrapped room it's an instant death, breaking many maps from completion without cheats.

Armitage
Forum Regular
Clan: Exodus
Clan Tag: [E]

Post by Armitage » Fri May 15, 2015 12:51 pm

I can vouch for the 'Shadow Beasts' being OP, on Chillax MAP23 behind the Blue door in the cramped, blood red hallways even with Cleric and maxed out 'Blessing' heal spell and I died instantly despite spamming the use skill key xD
Last edited by Armitage on Fri May 15, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SID914
New User

Post by SID914 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:09 am

I'm not sure, but if I'm right shadow beasts are no longer OP. Polymorph protection rune nullifies those ghosts. try it out. Either that or combined with a decent armor they deal no damage. I thought the cleric's protect aura did it, but I may have had the rune equipped. This discovery was made while I was using the necromancer. Let me know if it works everyone!

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Wed May 27, 2015 4:48 am

I've never had a problem with the Shadow Beasts, they are too slow to catch me most of the time. Yes they hit hard, but they are only a threat in cramped areas. If any monster is overpowered though, it's the damn shotgun cultists. They make your life very miserable when in groups, especially at a fresh start.

SID914
New User

Post by SID914 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:22 am

Nevermind. It must have been a low level shadow beast. Polymorph isn't doing jack shit now.

Valherran I do agree with the shotgun cultists. Was playing doom 2 twid earlier and couldn't get anywhere as the Cleric. And it's not the projectiles that are very hard to deal with, it's when it splits into those ghosts. For some reason though sometimes armor stops them from doing damage at all, but higher levels require much higher armor.
Last edited by SID914 on Wed May 27, 2015 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Foxhound3857
Registered just to make one post

Post by Foxhound3857 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Well, I just got this mod a few days ago. Absolutely amazing experience so far. Yeah it has some bugs and kinks, but nothing game-breaking, and very few of which didn't already exist in classic Hexen.

I've beaten it 3 times with the Cleric now on Class 5 difficulty (Pope). Each playthrough I've noticed something, either about my playstyle or about the practicality of a skill, that has helped me mold my character build in one way or another (single player).

-Blessing: THIS ONLY NEEDS ONE POINT. One point gives you a free pool of regenerating quartz flasks until you get to the point where you have another skill that you want to use, and it scales somewhat with your maximum HP. Unless you're in multi-player taking up a support role (as I like to do), you should never be eating enough damage to justify gouging this skill for combat, Lv1 is more than sufficient as an out-of-combat heal and even as an in-combat heal for the first 1 1/2 hubs.

-Mace Mastery: TECHNICALLY this only needs 1 point to get access to Sacrifice, and then Retribution, especially if you're gouging Intellect for your Serpent Staff/Lightbringer later. However, the Mace of Contrition makes an excellent secondary and close-range weapon throughout the entire game, especially when mana is short and you're conserving your precious Kraters of Might. Each point raises melee damage with the MoC/Morning Star by 20%, and even with base strength at 13, a 200% booster to the MoC will see it doing about 120 damage per swing, which still 4-shots ettins even around level 50. It's also great for saving mana even when you do have a lot, especially on Class 5 difficulty where you have to use corners or walls to hide from constant streams of fire or engage Ettin Commanders safely. In tight areas, throw up a Summon Legend and hide behind him while he tanks, and just swing away.

Speaking of SL,

-Summon Legend: GREAT SKILL, but still only needs 1 point. Your "brothers" damage does not increase with skill levels, only his health and duration. However, the duration aspect doesn't really work in the players favor because the AI is terrible at roaming and finding monsters in enclosed areas, and also has a habit of firing at bad angles, either hitting a wall or otherwise missing its target, which is unfortunate because it does FAR more damage with its Serpent Staff than with its melee. It will get lost in places and be unable to follow you properly, meaning you'll have to resummon it at key moments when you need support in battle.

1 point gives you 30 seconds with it, which is plenty for each fight, simply resummon if necessary. And although increasing SL raises its HP, it starts with around 500HP on its own, which is plenty. It's unlikely that it's going to die before it despawns, unless it's getting heavily focused by multiple serpents or something.

-Protect Aura: INVALUABLE SKILL IN CLASS 5 DIFFICULTY. 12% reduction from all damage even at level 1, 30% at level 10, which is huge given how often you'll be in a thick battle against dozens of mean enemies, all unloading their entire arsenal at you the second they see you. When the merchant is nowhere in sight and you have no armor, this skill and the Rune of Protection accessory can save your life, mitigating damage to the point where you can survive long battles of attrition. 50% damage reduction is possible with two Runes of Protection and a Lv10 Protect Aura, without any armor whatsoever. Your buddies will love you for having it too (tell the other Cleric to take Fury Aura though).

Other skills that are worth considering are Holy Shield, when you need immediate defense against an enormous salvo of projectiles flying your way, although only 1 point is enough for it, and 1 point in Divine Punishment for leveling in the Gibbet later. Consecration could also be useful for close-range ambushes, but as it causes screen shaking, be careful with it.

The only thing I don't like about the mod is...where the hell is the merchant? It's supposed to have a fixed location so you always know where it is, but in my first playthrough I didn't see one until Hub 2, and then in the second and third playthroughs I NEVER saw it. What gives? What's the point of getting all this gold if I never have an opportunity to spend it?

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:22 am

The shopkeeper is a very rare spawn, perhaps a little too rare. If you didn't see him anywhere, there is a possibility that he spawned next to monsters and got killed. In Hexen, he should spawn inside the beginning portal room of each hub IMO, because there is nowhere near the amount of items in Hexen compared to the other IWADs.
Last edited by Valherran on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slim
Zandrone
Clan: Can't fit it in here
Clan Tag: -=FSR=-

Post by Slim » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:22 pm

Valherran wrote: The shopkeeper is a very rare spawn, perhaps a little too rare. If you didn't see him anywhere, there is a possibility that he spawned next to monsters and got killed. In Hexen, he should spawn inside the beginning portal room of each hub IMO, because there is nowhere near the amount of items in Hexen compared to the other IWADs.
Well the only way I see that being possible is either A: Editing all the hub maps to include the shopkeeper actor (which is hella trouble), or B: Replace one of the item spawns (and there's a big chance he won't spawn in the beginning of the hubs), and I don't know if there's any ACS hackery in the world to solve that.

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5
Spoiler: Quotes (Open)
5:54 PM - Slim: you're complaining about something so small that
5:54 PM - Lance: so? we do that all the time
5:55 PM - Lance: we're a bunch of losers complaining at a bar minus the bar
Spoiler: Galactus tried evading (Open)