Wrath of Cronos RPG 1.8A

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Doomer1
New User

RE: Wrath of Cronos RPG Mod Release 1.3A

Post by Doomer1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:48 am

I LOVE THIS MOD! this is the best thing ever, but there are a few things i'd like to see...

1.) better maps on your server. the uac invasion maps are totally whacked.

2.) persistent characters. if there is any way a server can store that, it would be nice.

3.) single player options. playing single player is not fun at all. you die, you're dead for good.

4.) documentation. i have no clue what im upgrading or why i should, or what the hell alchemy is useful for.

5.) more random monsters.

love the mod keep it up!

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:29 am

This mod is epic. I only tried it on hexen.wad and its great (although so far only beat seven portals so a little bit too early to say anything but at least seven portals wasn't boring as always so auto-assumed the rest will be way better).

One thing tough ; Why are some low level spells/abilities stronger than the things they unlock?
I tried the hunter and so far my fire arrows totally dominate over ice (damage and cost)!
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Nothing to see here

Thetis

Post by Thetis » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:30 am

Doomer1 wrote: I LOVE THIS MOD! this is the best thing ever, but there are a few things i'd like to see...

1.) better maps on your server. the uac invasion maps are totally whacked.

2.) persistent characters. if there is any way a server can store that, it would be nice.

3.) single player options. playing single player is not fun at all. you die, you're dead for good.

4.) documentation. i have no clue what im upgrading or why i should, or what the hell alchemy is useful for.

5.) more random monsters.

love the mod keep it up!
1. I am planning on getting a Heretic and Alien Vendetta server up soon.

2. Even if I knew how to do that, if you go on a different server, your stats wouldn't be there.

3. Well, if you die, you can always reload from a save game.

4. I am starting to write one up right now after the Necromancer was released.

5. Maybe, depends on how people feel about random monster spawns. The only thing I do not want it to end up is an AEoD style monster mishmash.

Cruduxy wrote: This mod is epic. I only tried it on hexen.wad and its great (although so far only beat seven portals so a little bit too early to say anything but at least seven portals wasn't boring as always so auto-assumed the rest will be way better).

One thing tough ; Why are some low level spells/abilities stronger than the things they unlock?
I tried the hunter and so far my fire arrows totally dominate over ice (damage and cost)!
Ice Arrows become so much stronger than Fire Arrows later on (assuming you put points into Ice Arrows) as you get to fire more Ice Arrows at levels 4 and 7, multiplying the damage you do. Upgrading Fire Arrows just increases the damage of a single arrow.

Animal Mother

Post by Animal Mother » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Summoned shadows are kinda bugged on water surfaces. They make (a ton of) splashes as they walk on them (while the rest of the summoned entities do not) and blue reagents spawn all around them as they do.

Gibbing debuffed monsters passes the debuff effects to you.

And the debuff effects remain on monsters even when they're dead.

Also, a thought: how about adding noise and effects when summoning entities? And how about giving the crusader the ability to call off his summoned legend just like the necromancer can with his summons?
Last edited by Animal Mother on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:08 pm

The Heresiarch is a chore to fight in single player.. he has an insane amount of hp not to mention his armor makes killing him take X4 times longer. (And seeing Korax's 200000 hp made me stop playing it and rather play hexdd until I reach the hub with heresiarch)
Nothing to see here

Valherran
Forum Regular

Post by Valherran » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:41 am

Yeah, he took me a good while to kill too. I would rather make those guys harder to hit than sit there for an hour spamming all my mana at them to drop em.

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:37 pm

Valherran wrote: Yeah, he took me a good while to kill too. I would rather make those guys harder to hit than sit there for an hour spamming all my mana at them to drop em.
I reached the 3 player bosses.. oh mine 8000 hp prepare to get devastated by the mage boss :D
Nothing to see here

Doomer1
New User

Post by Doomer1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:37 am

Hey, just as a followup, i have played the ranger through seven portals, and im almost through with the barbarian, and i have to say that i love it, and i have some more feedback.

comments/suggestions:

-I really like that special monsters will sometimes replace new ones; they are quite varied and interesting.

-i prefer respawning weapons, respawning ammo, infinite lives and hard difficulty, which i do by making a server. I WOULD like to be able to have some more options:
1.)Spawn special monsters: randomly replaces a set amount of monsters with a special monster and can also be there if people dont want more difficult monsters in hexen. the graveyard when you fight the three heroes is fucking insane, so it would be nice to set how many monsters are changed, say 15, 30, or 45, that would add more difficult versions of monsters, up to semi bosses.
2.) XP bonus: choose how fast xp is gained: low %75,normal 100%, high %125, very high %150.
3.) Start at level: allows players to start at a set level, so that people joining a 400+ monster slaughter map stand a chance. 0,5, 10, or 15.
4.) double monsters: self explanitory. some modders have added this setting where it spawns x2 monsters, which i feel would be very fitting for this mod.

- if possible, mod specific cheats. give all weapons/give all gives everything, which is sorta lame.

-Heretic monsters give no xp (i heard that you were working on heretic compatibility)

-i see alot of skills that are upgrades of beginning skills, that make them obsolete. why not just auto upgrade them to the next level? some skills can be merged into one. i can provide specific examples if you would like, like the priests curse spell, and the explodey upgrade. skills are daunting to upgrade, i feel like an idiot if i put upgrades in the wrong things, but then again thats to be expected.
also, more skill slots would be nice. 9 would be fantastic. it seems like when i use my skills im spamming them for effect.

-Xp earned does not carry over into next level. this is a serious bug that can cause a player to lose 5 levels or more during the course of a 32 map set.

-ranger bow feels to rapid. is there anyway to get a strength upgrade for holding it longer? also i think there should be more arch.
-machete block is dodgy.
-is the warriors thrown axe,hammer, and quietus bolts damage related to intelligence? if it is, i dont feel that it should.
-morningstar is real choppy. also the effect makes it look like a daggerfall sprite, like its dwarven. i'll try and whip up a few frames for you to use. :)
-fists are pretty op. i 1 hit ettins with secondary and gib them, which feels awesome. also, primary still does 3 hit combo, from what i can see.
-mage arch of death secondary is charged, but primary is not? also, is the primary damage scaling with intelligence level? it seems to do the same damage. it is pretty weak compared to the other as well, but...

Also:

I might be able to tinker with the morning star and make the animation more fluid
i might be able to make the documentation for this mod, although it will be from a players point of view, and you will of course have to go in and edit some things, or pick up things that require you to fill in.
i would also suggest posting in the zdoom forums as well to build playerbase.

ill post more once i do some more playtesting and think of more ideas/critique, after i get some progress on one or both of these little projects i thought to help with.
Last edited by Doomer1 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

CtrlAltDestory

Post by CtrlAltDestory » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:42 am

When my name used to be Hydracon (Skulltag Forums) I made this I think it would be good for this.
Last edited by CtrlAltDestory on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kargaris
New User

Post by Kargaris » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:44 pm

NOTICE: This post has been spoiler'd because it got super long. Sorry. ^^u
Spoiler: Icon of Text, AKA Textomet (Open)
Ah, hello again, Thetis. You may remember me as Twinkieguy. Well, twinkies don't exist anymore so I decided to change my name. I didn't originally plan to return to these forums either, but I figured if something worth talking about showed up I would. I remember doing some early testing on this(and I think I was the one who suggested the title in the first place), and after playing this, I figured I'd pretend this is like the good ol' days and give you my thoughts.

-Why are the Hunter's weapons all out of order? I mean, I understand that you arranged them in order of per-shot power or what weapon they're most similar to(Hellstorm Cannon being on four due to using both blue and green mana, I think was the logic behind this), but that's not how it's supposed to go. Arrange them where your weakest weapon(the machete) is first and the Hellstorm Cannon is last. As it should be. Sure, you could say "use the hotkeys!" but I have 1, 2, 3 and 4 as my skill hotkeys, so I can't exactly use those for weapons, and anything past four is too slow to reach IMO. I'd rather them be logically listed so I can scroll through them quickly and guesstimate when I should stop scrolling.

-The Necromancer's like a one-man co-op party. This is awesome, until you realize that if he's being played in co-op that he's already got a party to tank/heal/snipe for him. Sure, a not-mean person would build his character differently, but if you have someone who builds their character exactly the same every single game, it would be obnoxious when his summons steal all the kills.

-On the same note, the Raven summon for the Hunter is annoying to everyone, even the Hunter. While I'm not sure if it does this in HeXen, in Heretic the Raven sends enemies flying when he hits them with his inexplicable spike attack. This is funny to watch, unless it happens right as you were going to put an arrow in said enemy's eyesocket so you just wasted mana because of your stupid bird. Just tone down the knockback on it. Like, all of it. He's supposed to be assisting combat, not hindering it. I suppose next time I play I'll build him differently.

-When you Metamorph as the Necromancer, if you have skills like Drain, Miasma(I'm going to call that Death and Decay by the way because of the icon) and other toggle-able skills on when you metamorph, their effects persist in your new badass body. Was this intentional? Because if it was, I have to say that it's rather ridiculous. On that same note, Drain + Miasma = nigh-invulnerability if you have enough monsters being hit by it at once.

You may wonder why all my bullet points deal with the Necromancer and Hunter. Well, that's all I played as because I already know how the other classes work and they're fine IMO. ^^u It's the new guys that need the adjustments.

EDIT: Did some playing in HeXen, the native iwad for this mod... Jesus Christ, do you have any idea how crappy the machete is? It needs a buff, badly. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's got the cool combos and stuff, but when it takes so long just to kill a single ettin(a full five-hit slash combo won't kill one, and that's just the original kind. Ettin commanders are a nightmare), you've got a serious issue. Playing on Hard, I can't even get the silver key to go ring the bell. The machete is a huge pile of dicks, and I don't feel like blowing a skill point on Blade Mastery just so I can eventually get the bow and never use it again. Unless your intent was that I do just that so I can eventually get Precision. In which case, well played, because you've forced my hand. :P

EDIT AGAIN: Nevermind. If you play on Normal the machete is fine. Guess I should listen when a game tells me a difficulty setting is hard. On the same note, though, as most players would probably pass on using the machete after getting the bow unless they're out of mana, maybe you should make it where you need either a point in Ranged Mastery or a point in Blade Mastery to get Precision? Speaking of Precision and other toggle skills, was it just my imagination or did it cost magicka to turn them OFF? I mean, I understand giving the skill an immediate loss of magicka upon activation to deter people who would rapidly turn it on and off to get the effect without losing as much magicka, but if I only want to have it active for a shot or two(like maybe a really important shot you've lined up with the ethereal crossbow's altfire), I shouldn't be penalized for wanting to be legitimately frugal with my magicka. Sprint should be renamed to Haste or something as well, given how it drains magicka even if you aren't moving, so it isn't exactly sprinting. More like magically increased speed. Sprint is also not too terribly useful as you already move fast enough to dodge just about everything, so maybe make it where it also increases firing speed, which would make the name Haste even more appropriate? It'd give it a lot more usefulness, that's for sure.
On that same note, the Camouflage skill isn't too terribly useful given how even the weapons which should be silent aren't. What's the point of stealth if you can't stealthily kill? Yeah, I suppose you could sneak past enemies(and in a deathmatch situation, Sprint + Camouflage = Instant Getaway), but that's hardly a good idea given how killing things = more experience, which at the end of the day is the only goal besides completion, right? Yeah, this post is really long by now, I apologize. I'll wait for someone to actually respond now.
Last edited by Kargaris on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VikingBoyBilly
New User

Post by VikingBoyBilly » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:18 am

Hey guys Thetis isn't responding to my PM, so I'll post this Paladin sprite I made here:

-Jes-
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by -Jes- » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:39 am

Sorry for bump, but..

Hearing the following whines on Wata's Chillax WoC server:
Icon of Defender respawns when sv_respawnsuper 0. Add bigpowerup flag?
Wraithverge is ez mode.
Menu tends to blink.
Last edited by -Jes- on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thetis

RE: Wrath of Cronos RPG Mod Release 1.3B

Post by Thetis » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:43 pm

After a month or two of inactivity and life, I decided to update this.

Download Release 1.3C Here!

Download the Doom Patch 3B Here! (Load after release 1.3B if you are playing on Doom)

Download the Heretic Patch 1B Here! (Load after release 1.3B if you are playing on Heretic)

Includes Wata's Icon Defender no respawn patch.

Also, in response to the paladin sprite, the Crusader already fills a similar role to the typical Paladin archetype. The sprite can use a bit more shading though.

EDIT: Found tiny bugs that causes my OCD to flare up and forces me to update. Sorry but it was bothering me a bit.
Last edited by Thetis on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catweasel
New User

Post by Catweasel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:17 am

Thetis wrote: After a month or two of inactivity and life, I decided to update this.

Download the Doom Patch 3B Here! (Load after release 1.3B if you are playing on Doom)

Download the Heretic Patch 1B Here! (Load after release 1.3B if you are playing on Heretic)

Also, in response to the paladin sprite, the Crusader already fills a similar role to the typical Paladin archetype. The sprite can use a bit more shading though.

EDIT: Found tiny bugs that causes my OCD to flare up and forces me to update. Sorry but it was bothering me a bit.
Heads-up that your 1.3C link has a mis-capitalized letter that breaks the link and gives an error page instead of a download.

Thetis

Post by Thetis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Catweasel wrote:
Thetis wrote: After a month or two of inactivity and life, I decided to update this.

Heads-up that your 1.3C link has a mis-capitalized letter that breaks the link and gives an error page instead of a download.
Thanks for the heads up.

Snakezz

RE: Wrath of Cronos RPG Mod Release 1.3C (Quick Hotfix)

Post by Snakezz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:54 pm

I hand draw monster sprites and other sprites as well, I'm also somewhat an experienced mapper. And I do love RPG's such as this. Let me know if you want some of my creative assistance.
Last edited by Snakezz on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InquisitiveSpellcaster
New User

Post by InquisitiveSpellcaster » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:08 am

Greetings.

To begin with, I'd like to extend my congratulations and gratitude for making this mod. This is the first mod that has added RPG elements to Hexen in a way that not only is stable and balanced between the characters, but that makes the game infinitely more replayable, fun and creative. It's an excellent work and it speaks wonders about your talent as a scripter and truly, as an artist. I'm quite glad to see that you are still improving upon it, and that you also included Doom and Heretic compatibility.

I've just tested the latest version, 1.3C and I find the new Bonus Experience feature to be awesome, it feels like a true reward for exploring, picking up everything and taking the extra time to obliterate everything on sight. However, I found that this feature, while incredible on Doom and Heretic, does not work entirely well with Hexen seeing as respawning monsters in random places makes it more of a chore to find them, and the fact that there are no proper secret areas in the game or in Deathkings. I lack scripting and mapping knowledge, so I would like to apologize beforehand if my following inquiries are absurd, but this situation leads me to two questions:

One, while there is lack of secret areas, some places act as hidden in the game, as such would it be possible to modify these places to be seen as proper secrets, and bar that, perhaps extend the Bonus feature to solving parts of the puzzles or finding important items such as the Planet gems and the clock gears?

Two, I understand you are aware of TheUltimateDoomer's Serpen Resurrection Total Conversion; without any intent of diminishing UltimateDoomer's work, in my honest opinion, I think the RPG system you have created is much more dynamic and fun to play with, however SR's maps are of astonishing proportions, awesome architecture and whatnot and are full with secrets and things to see; so I wonder, is there any possibility at all to make a compatibility patch for Serpent Resurrection?

I comprehend that both Wrath of Cronos and Serpent Resurrection rely heavily on scripting, however as I have said above, I think they would complement eachother wonderfully; Hexen sadly lacks huge map packs, the few there are are rather diminutive. SR however is huge, is full of monsters and has a lot of secret areas to explore, as I said above, and as such I believe it would make it a blasting experience to play through it with your mod, and would also make Wrath's full potential shine thanks to the enormous amounts of enemies and small things to see. Again, I understand it is full of scripts and whatnot, but since you were able to code Wrath of Cronos by yourself and make it as awesome as it is, I think it very likely that you have the talent for such an endeavor.

In any case, once again I would like to thank you for making this mod, I'm really eager to see what do you have in store for future iterations of WoC. It is honestly the best Hexen, Heretic and Doom mod I have ever played, and one of the greatest ones ever made.

Cheers. Yours truly.

Thetis

Post by Thetis » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:20 pm

InquisitiveSpellcaster wrote: I've just tested the latest version, 1.3C and I find the new Bonus Experience feature to be awesome, it feels like a true reward for exploring, picking up everything and taking the extra time to obliterate everything on sight. However, I found that this feature, while incredible on Doom and Heretic, does not work entirely well with Hexen seeing as respawning monsters in random places makes it more of a chore to find them, and the fact that there are no proper secret areas in the game or in Deathkings. I lack scripting and mapping knowledge, so I would like to apologize beforehand if my following inquiries are absurd, but this situation leads me to two questions:

One, while there is lack of secret areas, some places act as hidden in the game, as such would it be possible to modify these places to be seen as proper secrets, and bar that, perhaps extend the Bonus feature to solving parts of the puzzles or finding important items such as the Planet gems and the clock gears?
I do not think it is possible for puzzles to grant experience unless the puzzle itself grants experience which requires editing map scripts.
InquisitiveSpellcaster wrote: Two, I understand you are aware of TheUltimateDoomer's Serpen Resurrection Total Conversion; without any intent of diminishing UltimateDoomer's work, in my honest opinion, I think the RPG system you have created is much more dynamic and fun to play with, however SR's maps are of astonishing proportions, awesome architecture and whatnot and are full with secrets and things to see; so I wonder, is there any possibility at all to make a compatibility patch for Serpent Resurrection?
This has popped into my mind a couple of times. I might be going to talk to TheUltimateDoomer to see if we can merge it our wads together.

InquisitiveSpellcaster
New User

Post by InquisitiveSpellcaster » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:16 pm

I see. Well thank you for clearing my doubts, and it would be truly awesome to merge your wads.

Though if I may suggest, if that were to happen well I think the spell scrolls could be handled as one time use very powerful spells, and magic rings could be replaced with potions to replenish Magic.

I don't know, they're just ideas and truly I'm glad to see that you have actually considered it; Serpent Resurrection has been one of my favorite mods, and I find your RPG system to be beyond incredible so seeing them together is terrific.

In any case, godspeed on your project and whatever else you have in store my friend.

ibm5155
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by ibm5155 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:58 pm

This could have a nice megawad on the focus of that wad!!!
Like stronghold, you go to the first map with no monsters to do some rpg things, and then you go to others levels to fight :D´

edit: that hud is too big here D: isn´t a little one ?
Last edited by ibm5155 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Projects
Cursed Maze: DONE, V2.0
Zombie Horde - ZM09 map update: [3/15/13]
Need help with English? Then you've come to the right place!

<this post is proof of "Decline">