Wrath of Cronos RPG 1.8A

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Tyketto
New User

Re: Wrath of Cronos RPG 1.8A

Post by Tyketto » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:15 pm

The site that was hosting the Wrath of Cronos files is no longer available. However, the files have a new home now. You can get them here:

Wrath of Cronos Core File - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... r1_8a2.pk3
WOC Not Hexen Patch (if you're running the mod with a game that ISN'T Hexen) - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... npatch.pk3
WOC Heretic Patch - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... ch1_8a.pk3
WOC Doom Patch - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... ch1_8a.pk3
WOC Strife Patch - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... h1_8a.pk3
WOC Masters of Chaos Patch - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... patch3.pk3
WOC Doom: Random Monsters Patch - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... om1_8a.pk3

Zombie
New User

Post by Zombie » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:07 am

Is there any possibility we could get a Wrath of Cronos Patch for Strife that works under Zandronum 2.1.2? Even if functionality is reduced.

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Post by Mobius » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:55 pm

So this version of the wad allowed Fighters to literally solo bosses, clerics can still nuke the field (though takes extra magic), but Mage now is high risk low reward? Good job, Thetis. You ever thought about asking people who play it beyond casual gaming what was wrong with it? I don't mind the little extra money you can farm from resurrected monsters if you have a necromancer, despite the cost being far too beyond what is actually useful for a late game skill; however, I am perturbed by how the Fighter can go from a pure constitution build to outlast 4 hours on a monsterrespawn mode to literally beating up heresiarch or a death wyvern that has crippling muscular dystrophy.

The mage was suppose to be a high risk high reward. It seems you are awarding fighter/hunter/Cleric builds because a lot of bads play them.

Here is how you fix Woc balances

Bring back an actual Death Wyvern and not Flailing Failing Chicken that fires one projectile and flies around aimlessly
Bring back Mage or give it something to compensate for the awful spell cost that currently exist
Resurrection suck balls on Necromancer for late game builds. Making a Wise Necro build for 2 monsters that can KILL YOU AND ALLIES by mistake isn't worth it.
Nerf Fighter and Hunter.
Give 3 projectiles to Chaos Serpents instead of 1 flimsy one. Hardly a threat.
Same for Undead Knights

In fact just go back to Zdoomwars and port how those monsters attack to the wad for extra difficulty. Where's the Revenant?
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:40 pm

Nerfing Fighter indirectly is very simple. Just introduce monster abilities that pop up at higher levels which do % based health damage.

The real reason why Fighter is really OP IMO is that it can be built to be very self-contained. It can have mana regen, tankiness, damage all by just eating damage. That's fine, but he can do this without any risk AT ALL. That's the part that is wrong. I can go 50 wisdom and rest pure INT and still tank like a normal constitution build fighter without even trying to dodge. The biggest offender here is the Deflection skill. Deflect + Damage reduction is utterly broken, by design. Couple that with armors and other protective measures and well, you just don't die. Oh and you got Blood Rush too which is a "oh I got hurt... let me regen back to full" skill. Funny enough it's not even that good at late game where you are max level, since you barely lose health and recover it easily.

Top it all off with having found a Charm of Spirit or Lich Skull and you see where this goes.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:24 pm

lol thetis comes back from hibernation and then u guys slam him...

poor thetis

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:11 pm

I also forgot to mention many of the accessories are utter garbage. They need something to make them more useful. Like the alchemy one or the cloak. I'd say polymorph one is also dumb as I have yet to see a monster that actually can polymorph you...

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:59 pm

Ivan wrote:I also forgot to mention many of the accessories are utter garbage. They need something to make them more useful. Like the alchemy one or the cloak. I'd say polymorph one is also dumb as I have yet to see a monster that actually can polymorph you...
Best tier
Lich Skull

High Tier
Charm of Spirits

Good Tier
Orb of Clarity

Mid Tier
Living Steel Amulet

Shit Tier
Everything else

Hilarious Tier
Tailsmen of the depth

It isn't hard to deduced since most would ditch Orb if there's a mage present and Charm is good for specific magic builds or mage. Living Steel is good for extra protection on magic builds like Necro and mages where as everything else is literally free money. No ONE uses Tailsmens rofl fuckin meme. Lich is NEVER sold or traded. It's a highly coveted accessory you hardly see anyone siding for another item even if a Necro has lifetap or a cleric is present because you are likely to kill in sprees to regain health then to be healed by external factors.
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:03 am

u can make cool accessories if they have great advantages AND great disadvantages. would make it more exciting than '+3.69% damage lol'

ARGENTVM

Post by ARGENTVM » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:41 am

Mobius wrote:
Ivan wrote:I also forgot to mention many of the accessories are utter garbage. They need something to make them more useful. Like the alchemy one or the cloak. I'd say polymorph one is also dumb as I have yet to see a monster that actually can polymorph you...
Best tier
Lich Skull

High Tier
Charm of Spirits

Good Tier
Orb of Clarity

Mid Tier
Living Steel Amulet

Shit Tier
Everything else

Hilarious Tier
Tailsmen of the depth

It isn't hard to deduced since most would ditch Orb if there's a mage present and Charm is good for specific magic builds or mage. Living Steel is good for extra protection on magic builds like Necro and mages where as everything else is literally free money. No ONE uses Tailsmens rofl fuckin meme. Lich is NEVER sold or traded. It's a highly coveted accessory you hardly see anyone siding for another item even if a Necro has lifetap or a cleric is present because you are likely to kill in sprees to regain health then to be healed by external factors.
People forget that polymorph protection rune had 10% damage reduction. Maybe just change the name of the room and icon and buff the damage reduction to make it viable esp. for mages who need all the damage reduction they're going to need (15% to 20% would be great; no need for immunity to polymorph since no one uses it)

r4z0r
Banned
Clan: Homework Help

Post by r4z0r » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:31 pm

Mobius wrote:
Best tier
Lich Skull

High Tier
Charm of Spirits

Good Tier
Orb of Clarity

Mid Tier
Living Steel Amulet

Shit Tier
Everything else

Hilarious Tier
Tailsmen of the depth

Hey wheres the Ring of Focus??? RoF + Cleric heal ability or (in earlier versions) frost storm as a high level mage is horrifically powerful. the cleric heal with RoF means you'd never die no matter what as long as you didn't stop spamming your heal key and the RoF with frost storm just obliterates literally anything in sight. You could even kill a heresiarch before he even had the time to cast his first spell.

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:37 pm

r4z0r wrote: Hey wheres the Ring of Focus??? RoF + Cleric heal ability or (in earlier versions) frost storm as a high level mage is horrifically powerful. the cleric heal with RoF means you'd never die no matter what as long as you didn't stop spamming your heal key and the RoF with frost storm just obliterates literally anything in sight. You could even kill a heresiarch before he even had the time to cast his first spell.
You never played so how would you even know?

r4z0r
Banned
Clan: Homework Help

Post by r4z0r » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Mobius wrote:
r4z0r wrote: Hey wheres the Ring of Focus??? RoF + Cleric heal ability or (in earlier versions) frost storm as a high level mage is horrifically powerful. the cleric heal with RoF means you'd never die no matter what as long as you didn't stop spamming your heal key and the RoF with frost storm just obliterates literally anything in sight. You could even kill a heresiarch before he even had the time to cast his first spell.
I played for one and a half days so you could say im an expert on this mod ok?

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:38 pm

r4z0r wrote:
Mobius wrote:
I played for one and a half days so you could say im an expert on this mod ok?
Are you memeing me? Trying to derail a thread? You've never played rofl. freakin rofl on a cleric good troll

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:21 pm

I've made a small monster addon for WoC. You can download it here: Link

It adds some challenging and perhaps annoying monsters to the set. Include at the bottom of the wad order.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:14 am

Are you using/used any scripts 830/982? I was getting unknown script errors was wondering if you were using.

Also NecroArmorBonus is unknown apparently. Typo?

ARGENTVM

Post by ARGENTVM » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:43 am

A "few" notes and suggestions about the Mage (since that's the class I end up playing 99% of the time) and a few other aspects of the game:

MAGE
Disallow Strength for Stat Investment (too many points have been lost misclicking into strength, which has no application for the Mage)
Increase Lightning Storm Damage as it is rather tame at the moment
Decrease Arctic Glacier Cooldown, Increase Damage; the delay is way too long and combined with the current damage dealt and magic costs, regular usage is impractical.
Either overall increase in damage to compensate for increased magic costs, or reduce magic damage.

Current balance of the Mage discourages using later spells; strongest spells occur much earlier such as Telekinesis pushing everything out of the way and Spark acting similar to a Super Shotgun (though Spark seems to be bugged in that it damages ally creatures and is blocked by players as well). Such a large magic cost for the more powerful spells without someway to compensate ruins the main purpose of the Mage and makes it less fun to play as a Mage.

If a nerf is going to be introduced, it should apply to classes such as the Cleric which already function as huge powerhouses with very little to check them. Either that, or the introduction of monsters which are huge threats to certain classes in particular.

Regarding skills, I think a sort of 'synergy' should be added for skills for which every point in a skill improves related skills in some manner (say an extra point in Ice Bolt gives a small percentage increase in damage to the Arctic Glacier spell). I think this would encourage builds and make it worth investing extra points in skills which would otherwise be overlooked.

ACCESSORIES
Quick Silver Treads: Slight increase in speed, immunity to speed debuff
Talisman of the Depths: Delete/Buy Only, immunity to ice damage (not many mapsets have deep water)
Polymorph Protection: Repurpose it, make it 15% reduction for frail classes (Mage, Necro, etc)
Ring of Focus: Increased tic reduction, add a Magic Cost Reduction for spells (especially since Magic costs for the Mage are much higher now)
Philosopher's Stone: Increased Effectiveness of Flasks (increased damage / duration / number of projectiles / spawn type from black flask : This would make Flasks more viable, but I think Flasks should also have a damage scale where Wisdom is a factor)
Cloak of Shadows: Chance for projectiles to pass through the player.
Bracers of Force (or whatever they were called): Stun (longer pain state) on non-boss monsters

MONSTERS - There were three monsters in particular of which the behavior leaves more to be desired:
Ophidian - Shotgun Cultists are a greater threat than this enemy is (even to the Mage). I think it would be a good idea to buff its attacks somewhat and add some sort of secondary ability or passive ability. As of the moment, it's barely considered a threat.
Korax - Assumes vanilla behavior; should be more aggressive with faster and stronger projectiles.
Death Wyvern - No longer the major threat it once was it seems; the older Wyvern was a GREAT threat and should be the Wyvern that remains.

On a final note, I think allied creatures (especially summoned creatures such as the Dark Servant) need a way better way to be differentiated from generic monsters (more than just having a green HP bar instead of a red one). I ended up making a recolor of the Dark Servant as it was among the more common of summoned monsters, though this was before I accounted for the Black Flask Archer and Necromancer Summons. The bottom line is that allied monsters need to be easily identifiable.

I also ended up having to make a patch which defaulted friction for liquid terrains because the friction present made dodging certain attacks impractical in maps where liquid flats are common place.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:23 pm

WOC always crashes with boss brain death exits. Fix please ty.

atoludanator
Registered just to make one post

Post by atoludanator » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:23 pm

Realy awesome mod! Thanks a lot!

But it seems that Intellect is too overpowered. Intellect gives damage to all mana-powered weapons + increase mana capacity.
My mage need around 150-200 mana to kill Cyber Demon using Jade Wand and he has 700 mana... This is too much. (70 Int, 50 Wis)
Also you have spells witch can kill entire room in seconds and very fast Magic regen makes it very powerful. In the end you can kill monsters efectively using Telekenisis...

I think stats must give big bonuses till level 40. Then cut bonuses in half till level 50. And after 50 give 10% of initial value.
And mana bars and magic need to be set at maximum 300 possible. Because in current state Krater of Might is overpowered and you almost never use flasks after character level 10.

After playing more Alien Vendetta I come to conclusion that all that power that come after killing dozens monsters balanced with damage that some leveled demons could do.
With no armour Barons and Revenants can oneshot you at level 110... I can't imagine how to beat AV with warrior class...

Tyketto
New User

Post by Tyketto » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:09 pm

Looks like Thetis updated Wrath of Cronos to version 2.0, according to some recent uploads of his on allfearthesentinel.net. Not sure what's new in this version, but here's the links:

WoC 2.0 Core FIle - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... onosr2.pk3
WoC NOT Hexen Patch - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... npatch.pk3
WoC Doom Patch - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... patch2.pk3
WoC Heretic Patch - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... patch2.pk3
WoC Masters of Chaos Compatibility Patch - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... patch2.pk3
WoC Doom Randomized Monsters Patch - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... andom2.pk3
Something with the label "extramonsv10a" (Not sure where or how it is used) - http://allfearthesentinel.net/download? ... nsv10a.pk3

Unfortunately, it looks like there is no updated file for Strife in 2.0.

Manhs

Post by Manhs » Tue May 09, 2017 10:50 am

I have finished Hexen with WOC with the Mage and it was really awesome, not only a rpg mod with custom stuff, but the new weapons and items (like the differents flechettes) make the game really fast and brutal, it's really good ! I like it ! ^^
Even if there is a loooot of items, at least, if we can't level up enough in some short wads, we can still use the flechettes and other items. :)
But i have started Deathkings of the dark citadel with the Necromancer but the music doesn't work, does it need a patch for it ?
EDIT: Ah, i didnt put the hexdd file in the gzdoom folder x)