Universal Bump Mapping (v1.0) (any mod, map or IWAD!)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
TDRR
Forum Regular

Universal Bump Mapping (v1.0) (any mod, map or IWAD!)

Post by TDRR » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:55 am

NOTE: As usual, this requires GL3 hardware. No reason why it wouldn't work on GL2, however GZDoom 1.8.6 and thus Zandronum 3.x forcibly disables shaders in GL2 hardware.
Also remember to enable "Use Shaders for Lights" in the dynamic lights menu!

DOWNLOAD

This is like the third of this kind of mod I've posted, but it's interesting I promise! :p

Do you know those tools to generate normal maps from height maps people always feed regular colored textures to, and the result comes out super greasy and crap? Well, this is basically that, but made into an universal shader. As long as there's a dynamic light you'll see fully bump-mapped textures, with no support required from the mapset or IWAD or whatever you're playing!

Obviously the shader doesn't know when a surface shouldn't be bump-mapped, so you'll definitely see stuff like shiny grass. Neither does it know when it's just a drawn-in detail or an actual variation in height, so plenty of times you'll see non-sensical bumps. So if you're looking for quality bump maps, yeah you'll probably hate it. If you just want a fun effect to toy with a couple of times though you might get a kick out of it.
Spoiler: Screenshots (Open)
DOWNLOAD
"I will find joy in Yahweh. I will delight in my Elohim. He has dressed me in the clothes of salvation. He has wrapped me in the robe of righteousness like a bridegroom with a priest’s turban, like a bride with her jewels."
-Isaiah 61:10 (Names of God Bible)

myntvanilla
Registered just to make one post

Re: Universal Bump Mapping (v1.0) (any mod, map or IWAD!)

Post by myntvanilla » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:17 am

will it work with modern gzdoom versions or is it only for zandronum/older gz?
if not will a versoin for modern gz be possible?

Doomkid
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Post by Doomkid » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:25 pm

This is a super neat mod!

TDRR
Forum Regular

Post by TDRR » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:52 am

myntvanilla wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:17 am
will it work with modern gzdoom versions or is it only for zandronum/older gz?
if not will a versoin for modern gz be possible?
Only for Zandronum. A version for modern GZDoom is no longer possible, either. This mod relies on replacing main.fp, something which new GZDoom doesn't allow anymore, that means that actually making it universal at all is out of the question in GZD, so it'd be rather pointless.
Doomkid wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:25 pm
This is a super neat mod!
Glad you liked it!
"I will find joy in Yahweh. I will delight in my Elohim. He has dressed me in the clothes of salvation. He has wrapped me in the robe of righteousness like a bridegroom with a priest’s turban, like a bride with her jewels."

guest6777

Clan: Dom Pedro II
Clan Tag: [DPII]

Post by guest6777 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:11 am

Nice mod man! :D

Sinael

Post by Sinael » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:07 am

This is really nice and all, but can this be done for Parallax mapping/heightmap as well? It would look so much better with it.

TDRR
Forum Regular

Post by TDRR » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:53 pm

It's unlikely. This trick barely suffices for bump mapping, it'd look absolutely awful for parallax mapping.

I do have another shader that can take in an actual bumpmap made by a human, which would benefit from parallax mapping. Unfortunately I haven't yet gotten that working, but it may happen at some point.
EDIT: And it did. Get that here!
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=10371
Last edited by TDRR on Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

HQDefault

Post by HQDefault » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:12 pm

Hi, I'm not much of a Zandronum user and I actually just registered. But I wanted to come in and ask if you would be okay with me making a dedicated port of this for the current version of GZDoom. Obviously I'd credit you for doing the lion's share of the work (or I could just give you the files once I'm done and let you publish the port on either Doomworld or the ZDoom forums if you'd prefer). You mentioned that the main.fp needing to be replaced is the reason it can't work with GZDoom. I *might* be able to figure out a way of setting it up so that it works without having to replace the file, and if not I can just modify GZDoom's current main.fp file to work with the mod, and then have people install it manually by editing their gzdoom.pk3 file. This obviously is not the preferred way of doing it, as it makes it much harder for people who aren't used to mod tools to install, requires you create a backup of the pk3 file in case you break something or want to revert back, and you'd also have to completely re-install the mod after an engine update, and also it could break if something about main.fp was changed between versions. But it would *work...* at the very least.

Anyway, I do hope you'd be okay with me working on that because I REALLY want to try and get this working on modern GZDoom.

EDIT: Came back to say I've been making some fairly basic attempts at a port and it's come to my attention that this is going to be a lot harder than I thought. GZDoom has since changed most of their variable names for shaders, and without a good way of telling what they were changed from, simply altering the code to allow all the values to be plugged in just isn't gonna happen. And this is made more challenging by the fact that GLSL seems to operate under kind of weird rules that you wouldn't be able to figure out with just regular programming knowledge alone. So if I want to actually follow through with this idea, it's entirely possible that I'd have to properly learn GLSL so I can re-write most of the code from scratch... Which I might still do, because GLSL feels like a good thing to know.

TDRR
Forum Regular

Post by TDRR » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:51 am

HQDefault wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:12 pm
Anyway, I do hope you'd be okay with me working on that because I REALLY want to try and get this working on modern GZDoom.
Of course. Feel free to post it yourself, too.
That said, I don't really advise you do this, and the GZDoom developers are most likely inclined to agree, for the reasons you pointed out (and perhaps more).

Also the renames should still map just about the same, anything that was massively changed between GZDoom versions isn't used by this shader (because most of those features didn't exist in GZDoom 1.8.6, which Zandro is currently based off of).

Cataflexia

Post by Cataflexia » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:02 am

hi there,

i cant figure where is the Use Shaders for Lights in the dynamic lights menu.
I'm using vulkan render and gzdoom-4-11-3.a version.

i've changed to OpenGL and still can't see appear the option "Use Shaders for Lights"

https://imgur.com/gallery/vwLiyg3

What I'm doing wrong?
:cry:

penguin

Post by penguin » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:15 am

Cataflexia wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:02 am
hi there,

i cant figure where is the Use Shaders for Lights in the dynamic lights menu.
I'm using vulkan render and gzdoom-4-11-3.a version.

i've changed to OpenGL and still can't see appear the option "Use Shaders for Lights"

https://imgur.com/gallery/vwLiyg3

What I'm doing wrong?
:cry:
It's only for zandronum, not gzdoom.

Cataflexia

Post by Cataflexia » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:20 am

a, okey 😥