[WIP] Hexen + Wrath of Cronos: Hell Climber (v0.141b)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Derddy
New User

[WIP] Hexen + Wrath of Cronos: Hell Climber (v0.141b)

Post by Derddy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:04 pm

About this mod:

This is intended to be an extremely co-op friendly adventure & parkour focused Hexen mod with RPG elements, on the Zandronum source port(thus far). While open ended, the gameplay is quite linear. While its meant to be less confusing than vanilla Hexen; it is harder gameplay. Namely, the parkour (it can get quite dangerous...). You will find this to be true when you realize how difficult some of the challenges and parkour are. I suggest you save often. Also, there are many cutscenes. Try to clear any area of monsters before "doing the thing".

Please be aware that lava differs in attributes. The deeper the lava is the more deadly it may be. I recommend avoiding lava at all cost as some of it is instant death.

:idea: Also, be mindful of the dialogue and lore as it will guide you. You may miss out immensely if you put things off or disregard them! Trust the clues.

This is a work in progress. I consider this a demo or Chapter 1 rather. There are only 3 weapons as it is short (1-3 hours long). One of said weapons, you may need to find in the optional "secret map", Winfield Cave.

:exclaim: It is strongly recommended you set the WoC experience multiplier to 275 given the current size of the mod. I say again, it is strongly recommended you set the WoC experience multiplier to 275. This seems to be the best balance. As I add more maps/hubs I will adjust my recommendation. :exclaim:

--- Co-op ---

If you feel like playing/testing co-op, please do and let me know of any issues or concerns. If you do not have anyone to co-op with and still would like to, then stop by the Hexen: Amateur Hour discord server to find other players online. There is a channel just for Hell Climber.

:idea: Suggested command line arguments for co-op: +ZaCompatFlags 2 +sv_weaponstay 1 +sv_unblockplayers 1
(I often use "+sv_cheats true" in any given co-op just in case someone finds a softlock and needs to use kill. In this mod you can save your character & inventory then reconnect if needed. This is just a matter of preference.)

:idea: Suggested DMFLAGS for co-op: 24 (To be used in conjunction with the above command line arguments.)

--- Known bugs ---
Spoiler: (Open)
*Changing any of the Gore menu options while in a game causes the sound to mess up which sounds like you are picking up an item while attacking monsters. Using many multiple green flasks at one time can also cause this issue.
--- To install this mod ---
Hell Climber was made using Doom Builder 2 in ZDoom(Hexen) format, specifically for use with Zandronum.
(Other source ports are not supported yet. Please use Zandronum!)

You can use a loader like ZDL to load the Zandronum source port, Hexen IWAD, and the mods.

(Wrath of Cronos is required to run Hell Climber)

The mod order is as follows:

woc_v3a.pk3 (Required) https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=35846
HellBeta.pk3 (Required - This mod) https://www.mediafire.com/file/ncuxmd28 ... b.zip/file
HC_coop.pk3 (ONLY use this mod if playing co-op!!!) https://www.mediafire.com/file/vjln1kue ... b.zip/file

:exclaim: IMPORTANT: Certain WoC settings are required for this game to be balanced and function properly. Failing to have the correct settings can crash the game.

--- Single Player ---

To setup the correct settings, once the mod is loaded open options and go to the Wrath of Cronos options.
If they are not already, please set them as follows:

Enable Director = On
Globally Disable Floating Bars = Yes
Start with Second Weapon = Off

:idea: Also, It is strongly recommended you set the WoC experience multiplier to 275 given the current size of the mod!

--- Co-op ---

For Co-op you will need to do this manually.

After loading the mods together once in Zandronum; exit the game and
please do the following:

Locate your "zandronum-yourname.ini" file in the Zandronum folder.

Search for(Ctrl+F) and ensure all instances of the following are set
as such:

WoC_Director=true
WoC_WeaponStart=false
WoC_ServerDisableHealthBar=true

Then save the file.

:idea: Also, It is strongly recommended you set the WoC experience multiplier to 275 given the current size of the mod!
--- Random screenshots ---
--- Future plans for the mod ---
I intend to make this a massive, multi hub mod. I already have the story and know what I plan to do. Its just a matter of making time to work on mapping. If you like this mod and are interested in helping just let me know here or the discord.
--- Credits ---
Most of the upscaled textures were created by gmh4589
The gore addon was created by Sergeant_Mark_IV
Some of the assets used for accessing the Database were made by monkeybtm6
Several assets were downloaded from the Realm 667 Repository
I'll expand the credits more in the future

Also, thanks to:

Thetis for creating WoC
Seidolon for teaching me how to use ACS
ArgonianLord for inspiring me with his work
Ichor for helping me out with things from time to time
And everyone in the Hexen: Amateur Hour discord server
Please feel free to let me know of any issues or concerns. Recommendations, ideas, and requests are also very welcome. However, I wont be paying much attention to complaints about resources if you haven't even found the secret "loot cave". This first one(in this release) is literally handed to you if you follow the lore.
:wink:
Last edited by Derddy on Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Derddy
New User

[WIP] Re: Hexen + Wrath of Cronos: Hell Climber (v0.14b)

Post by Derddy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:55 pm

UPDATE(11/11/2021) to v0.14b:

* I changed some of the cut scenes to help guide player. Mostly to make gameplay more straightforward.
* I added to the lore a bit to make things more immersive.
* I nerfed one of the parkour challenges.

Derddy
New User

[WIP] Re: Hexen + Wrath of Cronos: Hell Climber (v0.14b)

Post by Derddy » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:17 pm

UPDATE(1/29/2022) to v0.141b:

* Changes made for compatibility with Zandronum 3.1