Basic Weps (A simple weapons mod)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Nubcakes

Basic Weps (A simple weapons mod)

Post by Nubcakes » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:22 pm

So years ago for LAN party purposes I made a simple DOOM1/2 weapons mod for Skulltag that slightly tweaked some of the weapons, added an alt fire for all weapons except melee, and introduced reloading for all weapons except the super shotgun. I simply called it Basic Weps

(06-11-12)Update #1; So I got some interesting feedback. Most people who contacted me basically complained the Chaingun's alt fire was too much of a shotgun-wannabe which is kind of how I felt about it. So I decided to make it kind of like the shard cannon from unreal. Now it sprays a ton of bouncing shards. I added a download link for the new version below as well as a Youtube video showing the new alt fire off. Again; sorry for the shitty video quality.

The idea behind Basic Weps was to provide a weapons mod that alters the balancing and gameplay without feeling completely alien to DOOM players.

Basic Weps has worked out well really well at the LAN Parties I've offered it at, but I think its time to fix it up, improve it, and possibly finish it. Seeing as Skulltag will soon be sitting by the wayside, I'd also like to eventually get Basic Weps to work in Zandronum without needing Skulltag.wad or Skulltag_data.pk3

As it stands, it "works" with Zandronum without any Skulltag resources, but a few sounds/graphics are missing.

I would post screenshots, but seeing as this MOD mostly just changes the functionality of the existing weapons, they wouldn't be helpful. So here is a quick demo video I uploaded to Youtube. Sorry the quality sucks, for some reason Youtube degrades the hell out of everything I try to upload;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpF8GTZ9-yQ

(06-11-12)Update #1; Demo of new chaingun alt fire;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7jmUwM0 ... e=youtu.be

download link for Version 0.45;
http://www.mediafire.com/?pj7sxbrfx58vshu

(06-11-12)Update #1; Version 0.49
http://www.mediafire.com/?sjegcnl4v92pegx

I am looking for suggestions to improve it and possible additions. Thanks for looking!

Edit: I just realized this is pretty hard to comment/make suggestions when I failed to provide any technical information on what the hell is going on. With that in mind, here is list of the modifications;

Slot #2: 92F
[spoiler]Ammo Type: Bullets
Magazine Size: 15
Primary Fire: Single Shot - faster firing than original pistol
Primary Fire Damage: 6 ~ 18 (Original pistol: 5 ~ 15)
Alt Fire: Three-Shot Burst - Uses 3 rounds. Less accurate than Primary Fire but faster
Alt Fire Damage: 6 ~ 18 (Original pistol: 5 ~ 15)[/spoiler]

Slot #3A: Hunting Shotgun
[spoiler]Ammo Type: Shells
Magazine Size: 7
Primary Fire: Burst - faster firing than original Shotgun, circular spread, valid alternative to Super Shotgun
Primary Fire Damage: 52 ~ 156 (Original shotgun: 35 ~ 105)
Alt Fire: Double Slug - More accurate than Primary Fire but slower and deals less damage
Alt Fire Damage: 42 ~ 126 (Original shotgun: 35 ~ 105)[/spoiler]

Slot #3B: Coach Gun
[spoiler]Ammo Type: Shells
Magazine Size: 2
Primary Fire: Burst - slightly more accurate and powerful than Super Shotgun, 1 frame slower
Primary Fire Damage: 108 ~ 324 (Original SSG: 105 ~ 315)
Alt Fire: Flak Burst - Bouncing explosive projectiles!
Alt Fire Damage: 81 ~ 333 (Original SSG: 105 ~ 315)[/spoiler]

Slot #4: Gatling Gun
[spoiler]Version 0.49
Ammo Type: Bullets
Magazine Size: 50
Primary Fire: Rapid Fire - Same as Original
Primary Fire Damage: 6 ~ 18 (Original Chaingun: 5 ~ 15)
Alt Fire: Shard Spray - Uses 7 rounds. Spray of bouncing shards, longer cooldown than Primary Fire
Alt Fire Damage: {1 ~ 8} 4 projectiles per bullet usage (Original Chaingun: 5 ~ 15)

Version 0.45
Ammo Type: Bullets
Magazine Size: 50
Primary Fire Damage: 6 ~ 18 (Original Chaingun: 5 ~ 15)
Alt Fire: Six-Shot Burst - Uses 6 rounds. Mini shotgun, longer cooldown than Primary Fire
Alt Fire Damage: 6 ~ 18 (Original Chaingun: 5 ~ 15)[/spoiler]

Slot #5: Rocket Launcher
[spoiler]Ammo Type: Rockets
Magazine Size: 5
Primary Fire: Single Shot - Same as Original
Primary Fire Damage: 148 ~ 288 (Original Rocket Launcher: 148 ~ 288)
Alt Fire: Grenade Shot - Same damage and rate of fire as Primary Fire, Gravity effects it and it bounces a few times before exploding!
Alt Fire Damage: 148 ~ 288 (Original Rocket Launcher: 148 ~ 288)[/spoiler]

Slot #6: Plasma Rifle
[spoiler]Ammo Type: Cell
Magazine Size: 45
Primary Fire Damage: 5 ~ 40 (Original Plasma Rifle: 5 ~ 40)
Alt Fire: Railgun Shot - Uses 15 rounds. High Damage pinpoint accurate hitscan shot, Goes through enemies even if it Doesn't Kill them!
Alt Fire Damage: 75 or 150? (Original Plasma Rifle: 5 ~ 40)[/spoiler]

Slot #7: BFG9001
[spoiler]Ammo Type: Cell
Magazine Size: 120
Primary Fire: Single Shot - Uses 40 rounds. Same as Original
Primary Fire Damage: 2060 ~ 4200 (Original BFG9000: 2060 ~ 4200)
Alt Fire: Explosive Hitscan shot - Uses 12 rounds. Significantly Slowed down BFG10K shots!
Alt Fire Damage: 160 - Linear drop as you move away from point of impact (Original BFG9000: 2060 ~ 4200[/spoiler]
Last edited by Nubcakes on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Southpark2010

RE: Basic Weps (A simple weapons mod)

Post by Southpark2010 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:39 pm

It's an alright mod I must say but I have a couple of things to ask/suggest:
- The alt-fire for the Hunting Shotgun could fire one powerful pellet but this will cause large recoil. Maybe you could add (for effect) a rail attack: Make the rail a white-ish color and remove the rings.
- Remove the Gatling Gun's alt-fire or have its primary-fire's rate of fire as the normal speed of Vanilla's chaingun and have its alt-fire spin the barrel, fire at the same speed as it does now (or a little faster) and after use, it must cooldown.
Also, what the hell is the Coachgun's alt-fire?

Hellstorm Archon

Post by Hellstorm Archon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:43 am

This looks very nice. Nothing too fancy, nothing too simplistic. Yet, for some reason, I feel that the reload functions somehow belonged in the original Doom 2.

A short poem

I dig, you dig, we dig, he digs, she digs, they dig.

It's not a beautiful poem, but it sure is deep.

Nubcakes

Post by Nubcakes » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:26 am

Hellstorm Archon wrote: This looks very nice. Nothing too fancy, nothing too simplistic. Yet, for some reason, I feel that the reload functions somehow belonged in the original Doom 2.
Thanks! As I said I wanted something that significantly altered the way you play Doom, but I didn't want it to be so different that it did not feel like Doom.
Southpark2010 wrote: It's an alright mod I must say but I have a couple of things to ask/suggest:
- The alt-fire for the Hunting Shotgun could fire one powerful pellet but this will cause large recoil. Maybe you could add (for effect) a rail attack: Make the rail a white-ish color and remove the rings.
- Remove the Gatling Gun's alt-fire or have its primary-fire's rate of fire as the normal speed of Vanilla's chaingun and have its alt-fire spin the barrel, fire at the same speed as it does now (or a little faster) and after use, it must cooldown.
Also, what the hell is the Coachgun's alt-fire?
+ The alt fire on the shotgun currently shoots 2 high damage pellets that are more accurate than normal, but the maximum damage is lower among other things compared to the primary fire. I am playing with the idea of a non penetrating railgun shot...

+ The primary fire of the chaingun is the same as vanilla I believe. I used a different sound to distinguish it from the pistol. I know the alt fire on the chaingun's is kind of a shotgun wanna-be right now. I am still trying to think of a way to make it more fun and interesting. I am thinking of having it vomit out crap tons of shrapnel bits that do minimal damage in bursts...

+ The Coachgun (supershotgun) has the alt fire of shooting 9 bouncing projectiles that explode. I was aiming for an unreal flak cannon style attack.

I think I am gonna add some more detailed information to the Op to make this easier to dissect for commentary...
Last edited by Nubcakes on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nubcakes

Post by Nubcakes » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Updated Chaingun's altfire. Details, New video demo, and download link posted in the OP.
Last edited by Nubcakes on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.