[WIP] Doomguy Jamboree: A Class Based Multiplayer Mod! Version 0.32: Medic, and bug fixes

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
CaptainNurbles
New User

[WIP] Doomguy Jamboree: A Class Based Multiplayer Mod! Version 0.32: Medic, and bug fixes

Post by CaptainNurbles » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:12 pm

Doomguy Jamboree! Class-Based Multiplayer Carnage

What in the world is this mod?
Doomguy Jamboree is a class-based multiplayer mod built for Zandronum with a focus on simple, but fun weapons, unique player classes, and an emphasis on cooperating with your teammates. Of course, nothing's gonna stop you from playing this in Deathmatch, but I built this with coop in mind so I can't guarantee how it plays in competitive play. Each player class is designed to feel unique with different weapons, play styles, and abilities. This was a simple project done up for the purpose of learning how to use DECORATE and to give me something productive to do during quarantine. Whoo! Don't expect anything super professionally made out of this, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Of course, I am no artist, so many of the sprites may feel familiar to most players. I tried my best to make them feel fun and interesting to use, while trying to make sure no weapon feels utterly useless. I have also added alt fires to the vast majority of weapons, however most of the chainsaw-replacements do not have an alt fire at the moment.

Each class has unique passive buffs, active abilities, and an assortment of weapons unique to them. As such, weapon and ammo drops are all universal, to keep things fun and simple. Most melee weapons are silent and have been given some damage buffs, making them useful for stealth kills. Pistols (slot 2 weapons) are also slightly buffed, and have infinite ammo as well, as a way to ensure the player never finds themselves backed against a wall facing a horde of Barons with nothing but their fists.

Monsters are being added as well, with variants based on classic monsters intended to further challenge the player and really help emphasize the need for cooperation. Currently, I have only added a few variants of zombies, but more will come in future updates.

The Classes (As of 2/25/2020)

Slayer: Jack of All Trades.
Passive Ability: Double Up. Powerups last twice as long.
Active Ability: Slayer Rage. Temporary super berserk, stronger than regular berserk but lasts 30 seconds and is reusable.
Weapons: Basic Doom weapons with extra functionality.

Scout: DPS/Glass Cannon
Passive Ability: Agility. Run faster, jump higher.
Active Ability: Block. Temporary reflective invincibility.
Weapons: Quick firing weaponry. Less damage per shot, often less accurate, but makes up for damage with incredible speed. Some weapons can pierce through targets.

Engineer: Summoner
Passive Ability: Deep Pockets. Store 50% more ammo.
Active Ability: Drones. Able to craft drones using cell ammo.
Weapons: A mixed bag of slow firing weapons with powerful primary fires and situational secondary fires. Alt fires often deal elemental damage.

Medic: Support
Passive Ability: Medical Efficiency. Bonus hit points from health pickups.
Active Ability: Super Medikit. Throw down a potent medikit that heals 50 points/75 for medics. Cooldown of 30 seconds.
Weapons: Powerful weapons, useful in many situations, often with healing alt fires, and support weapons such as a shield gun and a supply gun.

Video
phpBB [media]

Plans for the Future
There are 6 classes in total that are initially planned, and once all 6 are finished, bug fixed, and everything, with a roster of custom monsters to boot, I'll consider this mod finished. I may add more classes once the initial six are completed, but I'll only do so if I can think of more that are unique in play style compared to the other six. I don't want any repeats of classes or characters that are very similar to one another. Currently all of the classes use the same Doomguy voice and HUD face, but if I can get ahold of extra voice samples and status bar faces, I'd love to add them to further make these classes feel unique.

I only intend on each class having 9 weapons to replace the stock Doom weapons, but if I can be assed I may add a couple of extra weapons, at most to add two weapons total per vanilla weapon slot (1-7.) If you have any ideas or suggestions, please feel free to toss 'em in the comment section! I'll be sure to read them all, but I can't guarantee I'll add any of them.

Credits
Too many sources were used for sounds and sprites here, but included in the mod file is a credits file with a (hopefully) up to date list of credits. It is pretty disorganized, and I've probably forgotten to credit at least one person. If you're the creator of a resource I used and I haven't given you proper credits, or if you want your resources removed from the mod, please be sure to throw me a PM.

Download
Enjoy! (Update 1 and a half: Medic except he actually spawns with his special ability whoops)

Servers
A permanent server is up and running! Map packs will occasionally change out every so often, and I'll update the topic post with the server name whenever maps do swap out.
Coop server name: [TSPG] Doomguy Jamboree Official Coop - Struggle: Antaresian Legacy UV

Changelog

2/10/2020: Initial Launch of Beta. 3 classes, 27 weapons, handful of new monsters.
2/10/2020: Quick patch to fix a couple of last minute bugs.
25/10/2020: Medic Update: New class, new monsters, new weapons, and bug fixes.
25/10/2020: Quick fix because I'm an idiot and forgot to make the Medic spawn with his ability.
25/10/2020: Yet another bug fix because I copied and pasted some code improperly and chainsaws stopped spawning.
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.

CaptainNurbles
New User

[WIP] Re: Doomguy Jamboree: A Class Based Multiplayer Mod! WIP Release

Post by CaptainNurbles » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:09 pm

Update!

New Class: Medic
Role: Healer/Support
Passive Ability: Medical Efficiency. Bonus hit points from health pickups.
Active Ability: Super Medikit. Throw down a potent medikit that heals 50 points/75 for medics. Cooldown of 30 seconds.
Weapons: Powerful weapons, useful in many situations, often with healing alt fires, and support weapons such as a shield gun and a supply gun.

Note: I'm not entirely sure if the Medic's pistol and PDWprojectiles actually heal players or not. Sure as shit heals monsters, but I haven't been able to play test this with another player. If the medic's pistol and PDW heal bolts don't work, please lemme know! If they don't work and you have suggestions on making them work I'd love to hear them.

Changelog:

* New monsters! You'll find new critters bolstering the ranks of hell. Each update will bring more monsters to the roster.
* New Class! Medic.
* Minor bug fixes involving NPC animations, damage types (cyberdemons no longer spit out fire damage, for example), and small issues here and there.
* All classes now light up rooms when they fire their guns, how in the heck did I forget to code that.
* Certain weapons have been balanced some, with certain overpowered weapons being nerfed and other useless weapons made less useless.

Balancing:
* Scout's melee weapons have been given a slight reduction in damage.
* Scout's plasma pistols have increased primary and secondary damage, with a serious buff to the rail attack. I felt the rail was a bit too weak to seriously consider using over the faster primary.
* Engi's axe throw has been nerfed some, no longer being a fucking BFG good heavens it used to do 25 * 8 ripper damage what was I thinking.
* Engi power fist has been buffed, as in my playtesting I never really used it all that much.
* Engi revolver has been buffed, making it more useful.
* Engi Quad shotgun has been made slightly more accurate, with a slightly longer reload animation.
* Engi plasma cannon has been slightly buffed, and both projectiles have been reduced in size, making it easier to fit it in cracks in walls. The alt fire also had its traveling sound fixed, so that'll loop properly.
* I'm sure there's changes I've forgotten

I'd love to push these major updates out quicker, but I've been trying to pace myself with this. While I am having a lot of fun and satisfaction making this thing, I also do not want to go overboard and burn myself out. The next major update will come when its done.

Question: I'm tempted to add extra class-specific pistol class weapons that drop off of certain zombieman-tier monsters, and have a rare chance for a tier 8 magic weapon to appear on maps as well. What would you guys feel about something like that? Less is more, but variety is indeed the spice of life.

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rImmfw ... sp=sharing

CaptainNurbles
New User

[WIP] Re: Doomguy Jamboree: A Class Based Multiplayer Mod! WIP Release

Post by CaptainNurbles » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:56 pm

If you've just downloaded the mod, be sure to redownload it because in my haste to get this launched I forgot to make the Medic spawn with his special ability. Download link is fixed, and if you already started a save with the Medic, be sure to use the command "give MedicHealAbility" to make sure you're good to go.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15WXIUX ... sp=sharing