Raptor: Call of the Shadows Mod

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Post Reply
User avatar
madcat
Forum Regular
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Czech republic
Clan Tag: [Sun]

Raptor: Call of the Shadows Mod

#1

Post by madcat » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:33 pm

I would like to announce this project Im working on:

Its an imitation of a DOS game called Raptor: Call of the Shadows - a classic Shoot-em-up.

Newest Version - https://www.dropbox.com/s/3njzeohjakd8l ... .wad?raw=1

Image

A short video showing map01 ( yes, the music is played by me on Keyboard ):

phpBB [media]


To play this game, use move keys to navigate, Fire to shoot and Use Item ( Enter ) to use the "megabomb" ( which destroys everything on the screen
except for bosses ).

Each map takes 160 seconds to get to the boss. A miniboss appears at 80th second on maps 6-9. Killing a boss ends the map and heals the players.
Killing a miniboss does nothing.

There are the following weapons and equipment:

Plasma Rifle Machinegun - default weapon, always equipped.
Gray Missiles - can only hit aerial targets
Green Missiles - can only hit ground targets
Brown Missiles - can hit both air and ground targets, inaccurate.
Rapid Fire Missiles - can only hit aerial targets

Plasma Cannon - can only hit aerial targets, always equipped
Micro Missiles - can hit aerial targets, always equipped

Energy Can - adds 25 health
Phase Shield - adds 100 additional health ( armor in fact )

Megabomb - an item that, when used, deals massive damage to everything on the screen.


There are three player classes so far ( Raptor, Falcon and ThunderBolt ), but there is no difference between them, except for appearance.


I have a plan for making this project a bit complex, with a store where players can buy/sell equipment, easter egg maps etc. but that can wait for later.

If anyone would like to make a map for this ( personally I always dreamed of making my own Raptor maps ), here are some tools that can help and some instructions: Each map consists of a linear room with blood pools showing a "grid" which corresponds to the grid images found here https://www.dropbox.com/s/fhfxougq64rz4 ... .rar?raw=1

This grid size is the same as size of most of the buildings so if you want to make two or more buildings form a bigger one, you will know where to put them.

Each map background needs to be a set of three images, each of size 436x1920 (Im using HIRESTEX to compile them into one terribly tall image 436x5760).
Once your background images and/or monster placement are finished, you can post them here and I will implement them.

Im open to discussions about this project.

Have fun
Last edited by madcat on Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum
Posts: 2219
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:38 pm
Location: Omnipresent

Re: Raptor: Call of the Shadows Mod

#2

Post by Ivan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:59 pm

Please don't tell me this is using Doom palette. Raptor looked way more colorful than that.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

User avatar
madcat
Forum Regular
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Czech republic
Clan Tag: [Sun]

Re: Raptor: Call of the Shadows Mod

#3

Post by madcat » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:59 pm

Ivan wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:59 pm
Please don't tell me this is using Doom palette. Raptor looked way more colorful than that.
It uses the Doom2 palette. In my opinion colourfulness is not that important when it comes to a shoot-em-up mod where most of the enemy aircrafts are gray and the sprites are rather small.

User avatar
TDRR
Forum Regular
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:13 pm
Location: Venezuela

Re: Raptor: Call of the Shadows Mod

#4

Post by TDRR » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:53 pm

madcat wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:59 pm
It uses the Doom2 palette. In my opinion colourfulness is not that important when it comes to a shoot-em-up mod where most of the enemy aircrafts are gray and the sprites are rather small.
Why not just use PNGs, though? It's a free improvement and would help the look of the mod quite a bit.

User avatar
Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum
Posts: 2219
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:38 pm
Location: Omnipresent

Re: Raptor: Call of the Shadows Mod

#5

Post by Ivan » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:11 pm

madcat wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:59 pm
Ivan wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:59 pm
Please don't tell me this is using Doom palette. Raptor looked way more colorful than that.
It uses the Doom2 palette. In my opinion colourfulness is not that important when it comes to a shoot-em-up mod where most of the enemy aircrafts are gray and the sprites are rather small.
Spoiler: Raptor Screenshots (Open)
Image
Image
Image
Yea you can take a look at these and tell me that there's not that much difference again. I played the original game enough to tell the difference. The visual improvement would be immense and just because it's a doom mod doesn't mean it has to look like shit.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Inkubus
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:23 am

Re: Raptor: Call of the Shadows Mod

#6

Post by Inkubus » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:28 am

Ivan wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:11 pm
madcat wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:59 pm
Ivan wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:59 pm
Please don't tell me this is using Doom palette. Raptor looked way more colorful than that.
It uses the Doom2 palette. In my opinion colourfulness is not that important when it comes to a shoot-em-up mod where most of the enemy aircrafts are gray and the sprites are rather small.
Spoiler: Raptor Screenshots (Open)
Image
Image
Image
Yea you can take a look at these and tell me that there's not that much difference again. I played the original game enough to tell the difference. The visual improvement would be immense and just because it's a doom mod doesn't mean it has to look like shit.
Okay, and if you want to play Raptor with the original graphics, just go play Raptor. Who cares

Post Reply