DoomWare - A wacky multiplayer gamemode for Zandronum (Official Release)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
buu342

DoomWare - A wacky multiplayer gamemode for Zandronum (Official Release)

Post by buu342 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:07 am

thumbnail
Psst, DoomWare won the 2020 Multiplayer CacoWard!

DoomWare is a fast paced, competitive multiplayer WAD for Zandronum. Similar to Nintendo's WarioWare series, the player is thrust into an arena where they are faced with a random selection of minigames that test all sorts of skills. As the game progresses, the minigames get faster and harder. But the games themselves are not your only obstacles, as you're competing against other players for the high score.
phpBB [video]
The [youtube] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
Features
  • Over 100 minigames
  • Fully playable in singleplayer and multiplayer
  • 2 Team support
  • Wacky game modifiers
  • Stat tracking
  • Achievements
  • Seasonal map skins
  • Plenty of CVars for both players and servers
  • Fully documented source code and Wiki
  • Attempts at comedy
  • Lore so complex that it'll overwhelm even the most die-hard Kingdom Hearts fan
  • Great ways to lose friends
  • Internet memes and references to WADs older than the average internet user
  • Possible violations of the Geneva conventions
How can I play?
Grab a copy of Zandronum 3.0 and the latest DoomWare release. You can play in singleplayer with bots, or you can play multiplayer with other people by searching for a server on DoomSeeker (which is bundled with Zandronum). If you want to host a server, there's instructions for that here.

Can I mod DoomWare?
Yes! DoomWare is entirely open source, and has a fully documented Wiki that even includes a step by step minigame tutorial!
DoomWare GitHub
DoomWare Wiki
Last edited by buu342 on Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.

buu342

Re: DoomWare - A wacky multiplayer gamemode for Zandronum (Official Release)

Post by buu342 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:37 am

Zandronum 3.1 is out! This broke a few things in DoomWare, but also fixed some others, and allowed me to improve some more! 

Of note, I have added the doomware_fakerandom, on by default, which makes the random number generation "feel" more random, allowing you to experience more minigames and wackymods. Also, the end game scoreboard actually displays your points now!

I'd like to highlight that compat_clientssendfullbuttoninfo (ZaCompatFlags 2) should be enabled to fix a visual bug regarding the Brawler tiebreaker round. This might (?) increase network traffic slightly, so I'll leave the decision up to you.

The full changelog is as follows:
  • + Added points to Deathmatch and linked the DoomWare score to them
  • + Added points to Internal Zandronum scoreboard
  • + Added 'doomware_fakerandom' CVar
  • * Changed music in SSG and Grenades Duel minigames
  • * Changed teleport system for Boxing minigame
  • * Finally fixed the camera in E1M1 Karts
  • * Fixed Arch-Viles not receiving Wacky Mods correctly
  • * Fixed boss battle spectator bug caused by Zandronum 3.1
  • * Fixed freeze and particles in brawler tiebreaker
  • * Fixed Buu342 Morph in 'Put Yourself Out' minigame
  • * Fixed teleport bug in Source Port minigame
  • * Fixed Wackymods Mecha Romeros
  • * Gave the CacoDemons some musical notes
  • * Improved networking and HUD performance by using internal Zandronum functions
  • * Prevented cheating the jumps in Void minigame
  • * Tweaked time in Town Infection minigame
  • * Tweaked windows and map for Batman Doom
  • * Turkey is now affected by wackymods
  • - Removed some built-in Zandronum gamemode text
  • - Removed loss from fake barrels

buu342

Re: DoomWare - A wacky multiplayer gamemode for Zandronum (Official Release)

Post by buu342 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:48 pm

A minor update. I wasn't quite happy with the RNG system in the previous update after playtesting on Sunday, so I've changed it to use a weighted shuffling algorithm based off a research paper I read. I've also done some minor fixes to other smaller things.

For nerds interested in the details: Previously I was using shufflebags, which work by essentially putting all the items in a bag, shuffling the bag, and then taking items out one by one. Once the bag is depleted, items are placed back in and the bag is shuffled again. This will guarantee that every single minigame is played in 4 rounds (since it's 25 games per round, from a pool of 100), however this wasn't quite what I wanted because if you play a minigame, you know you won't be getting it again for the next 4 rounds. The new algorithm shuffles the minigame list, but it gives weight to minigames that have happened less frequently. This means that you can still get repeats from recent rounds, but the likelyhood is decreased substantially, meaning that in the long run there should be very little variance between minigame frequencies.

Full changelog is as follows:
  • + Added monster blocker to elevator in Batman Doom
  • + Added a railing to an evil turn on Rainbow Road
  • * Changed the shufflebags to dynamic weighted random generation for everything except next wackymod
  • * Fixed hats following last spectator during boss round
  • * Fixed game not displaying alive count properly during boss round