FNF feedback thread (post your opinions here!)

Public FNF Discussion Area, does not show on Portal.

Moderator: Friday Night Fragfest Team

Marcaek
Forum Staff

FNF feedback thread (post your opinions here!)

Post by Marcaek » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:16 pm

This thread is here so people who play can give feedback on general FNF management, conduct or just opinions about what we run.

How are we doin'?
Last edited by Marcaek on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strych6
Forum Regular

RE: FNF feedback thread (post your opinions here!)

Post by Strych6 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:34 am

Doing well! I love Fridays for this reason

but soon (predict a handful of months) you will need 2 separate servers, example: dm sets designed for 8 players. IDL type maps as well

It's always good to have servers: NJ duel 1 and 2

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:02 am

On rare occasions, we have used multiple servers but typically we avoid running things that just don't really work with high playercounts.

Also, we don't run the IDL mappacks due to how immensely popular they are. I get you mean maps of that size but I don't think we've run any ctf maps where having many players has been an issue.

Xaser

Post by Xaser » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:56 pm

Hey all -- dropping in really quickly to post a bit of a grievance, since I suppose it's relevant.

The short version is that I'm a bit miffed that the Euro and American sessions run different wads, since the big advantage (IMO) of having two sessions (resolving time differences) is lost if one is wishing to play a particular wad.

As a specific self-example, this week's session is running 32in24-12 for Euro, but not for American. I'd have liked to be able to sneak into -12 to troll some feedback on my own maps in the set to see how I can make my future ones have less suck, but the Euro session takes place at 2pm my time, i.e. during work hours. I suppose I could get someone to collect data by proxy, but it's not the same... D:

So yeah, bit of a self-centered Xaserego origin for this bit of feedback, but I'm super-surprised this sort of thing hasn't been brought up by someone else before. I may as well ask around: has anyone else run into this?

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:02 pm

Xaser wrote: Hey all -- dropping in really quickly to post a bit of a grievance, since I suppose it's relevant.

The short version is that I'm a bit miffed that the Euro and American sessions run different wads, since the big advantage (IMO) of having two sessions (resolving time differences) is lost if one is wishing to play a particular wad.

As a specific self-example, this week's session is running 32in24-12 for Euro, but not for American. I'd have liked to be able to sneak into -12 to troll some feedback on my own maps in the set to see how I can make my future ones have less suck, but the Euro session takes place at 2pm my time, i.e. during work hours. I suppose I could get someone to collect data by proxy, but it's not the same... D:

So yeah, bit of a self-centered Xaserego origin for this bit of feedback, but I'm super-surprised this sort of thing hasn't been brought up by someone else before. I may as well ask around: has anyone else run into this?
That's actually a pretty decent idea and sometimes I felt this way as well, complaining about how I missed a particular session, sometimes both. (But well nothing can help that) I support your suggestion.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:04 pm

I wouldn't necessarily be against more double-sided events, but there are still cases where one WAD or gamemode does poorly in one hemisphere but not another, where there's really no recourse but to do seperate things.

Absolute Zero

Post by Absolute Zero » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:46 pm

I will just leave this here, since I suck to keep up with the suggestions thread.

2 Teams-LMS on Crucified Dreams with skulltag weapons sounds like a nice combo IMO. Disabling both BFGs is an obvious setting.
IMPLEMENT WEAPON PICKUP PREDICTION 2K14! VOTE NOW! YES/YES

In fact, I hate Kelvins, and humans too, because they are carrying nearly 300 of them EVERYWHERE!

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:12 am

Stop trying to incorporate the IWADs just for the sake of it. The last FNF I attended was LMS on Doom E1 and Final Doom: TNT maps and it was godawful. Fun for the few matches with maps big enough to stalk each other like the later TNT maps, but most others especially Doom1's maps are NOT tailored for LMS and they just weren't fun.

I think the FNF team needs to go back through their history and re-host mods and gamemode combinations that caused big fun and big player turnouts. There's nothing wrong with hosting the same things twice IMO as long as it's not in a row.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Fri May 22, 2015 7:58 pm

Running TNT worked out a lot better the first time, but shouldn't have been run again being not much more than a novelty.

Considering bumping this after FNFs so that people rememeber it exists. We're still looking for any feedback to consider.

Psycho

Post by Psycho » Sat May 23, 2015 3:00 am

Lord Smash wrote: How about Russian Overkill?
This is actually a great idea, as long as someone comes with a patch to disable the beef supreme turret form and the time stop gun, cuz spamming them equals certain victory. Also they are quite annoying...

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sat May 23, 2015 3:05 am

This isn't really a thread for WAD suggestions, moreso feedback on what we run and how we run things in general.
Last edited by Marcaek on Sat May 23, 2015 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kokiri

Post by Kokiri » Sat May 23, 2015 4:22 pm

maybe host more obscure game modes?
<Siferah>Everyone is banned from #vgl because Ten did like
<Siferah>!flags *!*@* +b
- Hissy set mode: +b *!*@*
- Dastan left (Kicked by Hissy with the following reason: User is banned from this channel)
- Galactus left (Kicked by Hissy with the following reason: User is banned from this channel)
- ChanServ: Siferah (AlienOverlord) set flags +b on *!*@*.
<Siferah>fuc

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sat May 23, 2015 4:31 pm

Kokiri wrote: maybe host more obscure game modes?
That sounds like a great way to get a horribly minuscule turnout unless you know for a fact that you have a fun, addictive mappack to run through with it. Just because a gamemode is underplayed compared to the other popular gamemodes doesn't mean it'll be an instant player-magnet.

Although maybe OneFlag on a new fresh mappack like ChaosCore CTF will prove fun!

ZandroSkins

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Sat May 23, 2015 10:04 pm

Ænima wrote:
That sounds like a great way to get a horribly minuscule turnout unless you know for a fact that you have a fun, addictive mappack to run through with it. Just because a gamemode is underplayed compared to the other popular gamemodes doesn't mean it'll be an instant player-magnet.

Although maybe OneFlag on a new fresh mappack like ChaosCore CTF will prove fun!
Not necessarily. Things like tactical squad, mspaint doom, etc turned out to play surprisingly well.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sat May 23, 2015 10:33 pm

Catastrophe wrote:
Ænima wrote:

Not necessarily. Things like tactical squad, mspaint doom, etc turned out to play surprisingly well.
Yeah but those are mods, I thought he meant just actual hardcoded gamemodes like TeamLMS, Terminator, Posession, OneFlag, Skulltag, etc.

ZandroSkins

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sat May 23, 2015 10:55 pm

Underplayed modes are tricky. Stuff like Team Posession is really hard to get working, given that you cant really use a static timelimit for each map and even dedicated timelimits on a per-map basis isn't foolproof. Last TPoss session i had to change the timelimit fairly often. It was fun when it worked tho.

Then you get stuff like normal Possession, which is just plain unplayable on most maps and with high player counts. Oneflag CTF? Not many packs support it and Deathball is basically a better form of it(although even Deathball has plenty of its own problems). Domination has ONE mapset. There are 2 King of the Hill packs but KOTH works better when combined with maps having more points and in any case ther's a serious lack of mapsets to run\quality within these packs.

I'd like to get back into running modes like Assault the Flag and Skullbag as regularly as other modes, although I'll have to make 100% sure they work with 2.0 to avoid a repeat of last week's EPIC CTF session(fuck cvarinfo)

EDIT: also tactical squad probably only worked the one time because it was a novelty, I wouldn't be against re-running it but idk how well it'll turn out given the less stellar second session.
Last edited by Marcaek on Sat May 23, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Sat May 23, 2015 11:47 pm

I'd be fine for running one flag, but will anybody actually play it? (Is it even a good gamemode?)

Marc: tactical squad was already run twice lol, but it's not something that should be done too often

Fuck cvars breaking everything

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sun May 24, 2015 1:39 am

Ænima wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:
Ænima wrote:

Yeah but those are mods, I thought he meant just actual hardcoded gamemodes like TeamLMS, Terminator, Posession, OneFlag, Skulltag, etc.
Usually most of them do good, the only ones we have trouble with are possession and terminator.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sun May 24, 2015 2:17 am

Terminator does alright with stuff like IGPack or Sabbat Martyr I think because for one the powerful weapon\item combos can offset the terminator's power, while OTOH a term who gets a good combo can go on a ridiculous spree. It's pretty funny.

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Sun May 24, 2015 3:01 am

Terminator is horrifically balanced and Possession generally takes long times to score AND constantly stops the action.

I can't say they were implemented too well.