Site Relaunch

Old and outdated news.
Metal
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Site Relaunch

Post by Metal » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:36 pm

Blzut3 wrote:
Metal wrote: Wow. I have to agree with Llewellyn. That IS rude.
So I can't talk about my opinion even when prefixing it with a word that obviously states that it's an opinion? I don't expect anyone to agree with me. I merely stated that I don't care for animated avatars. Last I checked, it's not rude to disagree.

I'm a nerd, if there's some social thing I'm missing please tell me what it is.
Metal wrote: This isn't about "personal" issues with animated avatars, and I'm quite disappointed you didn't warn us about this before hand, unless you told Wartorn. Most people around here enjoy animated avatars and the freedom to use pretty much what they want. Also, you need an account there to use and avatar here?

What the hell is this?
I'm against this now that I know the cold truth about gravatar.
So since libravatar seems to be a solution is this what you guys want to do? I would like to hear more opinions on the matter. I would rather not change the tracker code (right now it's a vanilla installation), but if most of the users here would prefer that it's not a huge problem.

Also, I expected the staff to know what gravatar is since it was already in use on the tracker since Skulltag started using Mantis.
It is my opinion that you were being rude about it. We have users here who like the freedom to use different types/sizes of avatars. Nothing personal, but you probably made a lot of people uneasy saying that.

Also, I wouldn't know what gravatar was, as I never bothered to put an avatar on the tracker. I do not agree with making an account offsite to use an avatar on site and I didn't know we only had a choice between two things (Gravatar and Libravatar).
<EazyDI>harrased me
<EazyDI>and called me a dinner
<EazyDI>n*****
<EazyDI>lmao not dinner

Blzut3
Developer

Post by Blzut3 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:37 pm

Qent wrote: tracker to use the old forum avatars
Pretty much no chance. It would require the tracker to query the forum database which is a bad design idea since I would potentially need to keep the tracker software in sync with forum software changes. Basically, if we don't use a global avatar service the transparent unified account system is pretty much out of the question.

Dusk
Developer

Post by Dusk » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:43 pm

What if the forum software had the option of displaying both locally stored and gravatar/libravatar avatars? The former wouldn't show up on the tracker but is it really that big a deal? It's not like that many people regulate the tracker anyway.
Last edited by Dusk on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Llewellyn
Forum Regular

Post by Llewellyn » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:06 pm

Qent wrote: Does Libravatar support animated GIFs? I haven't heard of it before. It would require yet another account, but maybe it's the best compromise.
Libravatar is an open-source platform that the site could host itself, which means it could easily sync the images from the forums and the mantis bug tracker, eliminating any sort of "unsupported" image format.
And since it just uses the same format you just change the gravatar url to the hosted url, the change is literally one line in Mantis or on this site:
http://cdn.libravatar.org/avatar/7124f7 ... 248dce314b
http://cdn.gravatar.org/avatar/7124f7ea ... 248dce314b
Last edited by Llewellyn on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qent

Post by Qent » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:17 pm

Oh, so no sign up, or rather we already will have signed up? That's sounding pretty good.
Last edited by Qent on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torvald
Forum Regular

Post by Torvald » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:09 pm

Front page looks really nice. Also I need a refill on my prescription.
Cyber: was chased by cowboys
Nautilus: Cowboys? more like a buncha kids chasing a fucking ice cream truck
UnixAssassin wrote: The definition of cheating is not this: Using an aim assisting tool in a game
BEST.EVER.
Teamspeak: WUMBO.CA

Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Nooooooooooo, my avatar! Eh, I guess this pink one suits me though~ ^-^

Torvald
Forum Regular

Post by Torvald » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:21 pm

Wait wait wait wait wait. Gravatar?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
[spoiler]
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
[/spoiler]
Cyber: was chased by cowboys
Nautilus: Cowboys? more like a buncha kids chasing a fucking ice cream truck
UnixAssassin wrote: The definition of cheating is not this: Using an aim assisting tool in a game
BEST.EVER.
Teamspeak: WUMBO.CA

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular
Clan: Shadow Mavericks
Clan Tag: [SM]

Post by StrikerMan780 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:53 pm

I personally don't see this change to Gravatar as a big deal. If it means that it will help with implementing some cool stuff down the road (such as merging the account handling for the Forum and Tracker), all the better I think. Adapt and overcome, as I always say. I've been registered to Gravatar for a while now... It's pretty simple and takes not even 5 minutes to do, so, I'm not at all miffed by it.

Although, I would suggest changing the size of the avatars to 175x175 (200x200 is the max gravatar size, but that may be pushing it.), which is about as big as you can go without distorting the layout, and allowing better clarity. (And for those with smaller avatars, prevent them from being downscaled and thus anti-aliased/blurred.)
Last edited by StrikerMan780 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luke
Forum Regular

Post by Luke » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:02 pm

No! I don't like this new gravatar thing. I can't stand it, really: I'm more than paranoid on my privacy and this something I don't like at all. It's fine to give you my mail, because I know that you're just a crew of doomers, but can't trust gravatar. Definitely.
I know this won't change a thing because you're not going back only for me but that's it.

Qent

Post by Qent » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:07 pm

Luke wrote: It's fine to give you my mail, because I know that you're just a crew of doomers, but can't trust gravatar. Definitely.
I hope that was sarcastic. :razz:

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular
Clan: Shadow Mavericks
Clan Tag: [SM]

Post by StrikerMan780 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Qent wrote:
Luke wrote: It's fine to give you my mail, because I know that you're just a crew of doomers, but can't trust gravatar. Definitely.
I hope so too... Giving an E-Mail out to a casually-run community that has fallen victim to more hacking attempts on related sites than any other I've been on. (Doom in general, not referring to any one in specific.) Vs. A reputable organization which also created the popular blogging system WordPress.

I personally would be more afraid to post my information here than on there. In fact, doing so in the past has genuinely lead to some serious breaches of my privacy. Nothing I couldn't handle after a while, but, it did happen, and it did cause a lot of unnecessary stress.
Last edited by StrikerMan780 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synert
Forum Regular

Post by Synert » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Well shit, no more Matrix.

Also, I think this issue needs to be resolved.
In all seriousness though the new site's looking great, good job.

Luke
Forum Regular

Post by Luke » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:10 pm

Qent wrote:
Totally not sarcastic. I trust Zandornum's staff incomparably more than gravatar's staff.

edit: I don't like big companies (:
Last edited by Luke on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:30 pm

this gravatar/avatar thing is bizzare. I mean, I like to change my avatar...it changes with my mood and things like that. I certainly dont want the same avatar on every forum I use either.

DevilHunter
Zandronum Tester

Post by DevilHunter » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:35 pm

Welp.. No more Animated Avatars.. Not like it bothered me none, but the fact that your limited to one avatar.. meh..

Anyhow, if anything, I just got my avatar redone by Blox, but now.. I'm stuck with my old one. (lesighs)

Espio
Forum Regular

Post by Espio » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:50 pm

Lame, no more animated stuff.. oh well..
https://youtu.be/qbgpcemxVPA?t=8s "Get the fuck up."
https://www.mediafire.com/?kb7sf1nizgwvqsr My custom music wad for Doom I & II - 166 MEG WARNING

<Dark-Slayer>CorpseGr1nder, get a job
<Konar6>blow*

(09:58:54)<BlueCool>think of all the stuff i couldve done in thoes 5 second
(09:59:05)<BlueCool>1. bake cookies
(09:59:16)<BlueCool>2. eat cookies

Qent

Post by Qent » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Guys, we talked in the thread about how it might be coming back and stuff. :neutral:

Igor
Forum Regular

Post by Igor » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:09 pm

GRAVATAR MESSED UP IGOR'S AVATAR!
IGOR IS MAD

IGOR MISSES HIS OLD ANIMATING AVATAR

Code: Select all

<@Igor> YOU MANIACS
<@Igor> YOU BLEW IT UP
<@Igor> AGH GOD DAMN YOU
<@Igor> GOD DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:22 am

I registered at gravatar and uploaded my avatar there, but I still see my avatar here as a pink pattern instead of my golden knight.

EDIT: Nevermind: the correct avatar shows now.
Last edited by Empyre on Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."