Mini duel-tournaments

Archive of past matches
Dragon
Forum Regular

Mini duel-tournaments

Post by Dragon » Mon May 11, 2015 9:41 pm

Back when I ran #zatc, I did a few tournaments that turned out successful and thought I'd bring it back. Only difference now is that I'll stick to duel only (sorry TDM-lovers).

These are tournaments that will NOT last longer than a week, I'm aiming for a day or two.
My ambition is to do almost every map of duel32 for a start and then go back to older versions or use completely different wads than duel32. The tournaments will always be double-elimination, have 50 frags, be best of 1, use old-school settings and consist of either 8 or 16 players with 8 players being more plausible in the current state of dueling. I will start the a tournament once the existing one finishes, so I won't have two running at the same time unless the existing one will finish the same day as I start the other or the day after.

The tournaments are open for everybody and I use http://challonge.com/ to create brackets. For each tournament I host, I'll also host a sign-up page rather than manually add the participants meaning that you'll have to register to this site in order to participate in the tournaments - which takes no longer than one/two minutes.

As there might be Europeans vs non-Europeans, whoever has the higher seed picks the server and the seeding is added manually based on performance. So for instance seed #3 vs seed #6 means that seed #3 will pick the server for the game.

Information about these tournaments will all be found on #miniduel on Zandronum IRC.
Last edited by Dragon on Sun May 31, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

RE: Mini duel-tournaments

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Mon May 11, 2015 11:21 pm

Sounds like it could be good for stirring dueling activity although zzzz on the OS part. :biggrin: Can't wait to not play though.

GL to all.
Last edited by Ru5tK1ng on Mon May 11, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Projects

EonDM - With Hatred as my sidekick.
RageCTF - Made 1 map and did much more.
DBAB LMS - Pack made for Last Man Standing.
EonWeapons - Improve vanilla weapons and add stuff for kicks.
Progressive Duel - Leaving the old behind.
IDL201X CTF - Maintaining since 2013.
Strife AA - Helped tested + 1 map

Dragon
Forum Regular

Post by Dragon » Tue May 12, 2015 10:29 am

Ru5tK1ng wrote: Sounds like it could be good for stirring dueling activity although zzzz on the OS part. :biggrin: Can't wait to not play though.

GL to all.
Thanks and who knows... Maybe NS will be a thing later, I am considering Instagib as well. But that won't happen until later - if it ever does happen.
Last edited by Dragon on Tue May 12, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samurai
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

Post by Samurai » Fri May 15, 2015 1:19 pm

The Instagib duels idea sounds awesome, count me in if that ever happens.

Galactus
Forum Regular

Post by Galactus » Fri May 15, 2015 2:53 pm

Will these instagib duels be played on other duels maps? Because playing them on the duel maps used in duel32 isn't a good idea.

Armitage
Forum Regular
Clan: Exodus
Clan Tag: [E]

Post by Armitage » Fri May 15, 2015 3:21 pm

What Gal meant to say was Skulltag Duel maps would be the best for Instagib ;))
Last edited by Armitage on Fri May 15, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galactus
Forum Regular

Post by Galactus » Fri May 15, 2015 3:28 pm

Armitage wrote: What Gal meant to say was Skulltag Duel maps would be the best for Instagib ;))
They would probably play better than the Duel32 maps that's indeed true ;)

Dragon
Forum Regular

Post by Dragon » Fri May 15, 2015 3:36 pm

FTW395 wrote: Will these instagib duels be played on other duels maps? Because playing them on the duel maps used in duel32 isn't a good idea.
Perhaps, but most likely not. I'll agree that some maps aren't really good for IG. But some of them actually play out pretty damn well. So I am more likely to play the D32-wad than any other.

Galactus
Forum Regular

Post by Galactus » Fri May 15, 2015 4:29 pm

Dragon wrote: Perhaps, but most likely not. I'll agree that some maps aren't really good for IG. But some of them actually play out pretty damn well. So I am more likely to play the D32-wad than any other.
The problem with instagib duels is that they're so random. They don't really rely on map control or tactics anymore, they just rely on pure aim. Now you might argue that this is actually a good thing, but knowing that how well someone aims solely depends on having a good or a bad day will make victories in instagib tournaments pretty random. I myself have played lots of instagib duels. I've won against players that are way better than me and lost against players that are way worse than me.

Nonetheless Instagib duels can still be incredibly fun, so if the skill thing doesn't really matter to you. Instagib duels will be a solid gamemode to have tournaments with.

Morphling
Banned
Banned: Permanently

Post by Morphling » Fri May 15, 2015 4:35 pm

Forgotten Instagib duels...would be awesome if they reborn with this.