[DEAD] Survival Tournament - WEEK 3: AV MAP25

Archive of past matches
Frits
Forum Regular

RE: Survival Tournament - WEEK 1: CCHEST MAP29

Post by Frits » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:19 am

Samurai wrote:
I've played through it with god mode in single player since so I know roughly what to expect on the map. But my argument (which you seem to be missing) is that this map shouldn't really have been picked for a survival tourney in the first place. From past survival tournaments I've participated in they have been played on wads that don't take hours to complete 1 single map. Personally I don't have enough spare time on my hands to keep practising a map that takes over 1 and a half hours to complete.
I understood you and especially your point about the amount of time you'll need to invest in this map.
I chose not to criticize the map pick(Well maybe a little) because i'm not participating.

I'd also recommend to not play it in godmode, if you actually get suprised and killed by a trap you'll remember it for sure. Some fights you don't give enough attention this way and will catch you When you play for real. Or it could just be me and my leaky brain ofc.
Edit:shit grammar bcz phone.
Last edited by Frits on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

Mode #grandvoid -o Konar6 by Frits
<Konar6> the fuck
<Konar6> who made this IRC
<Konar6> how is this possible

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

RE: Survival Tournament - WEEK 2: HR MAP22

Post by SwordGrunt » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:52 am

Week 1 is done. Funny enough as a lot of people joked about, no one actually beat the map. Me and Jon made it the closest with me dying a long way through because I got a desync and my BFG didn't fire a single ball (I had the fire animation play 3 times on my screen). Oh well, Zandronum has these wonders. That was by far the closest playthrough and I still had a Megasphere to take, but I got my teammate killed in a really stupid way earlier on, too...

Also, so much for Watakid's team beating it, his teammate didn't show up and he tried to solo it dying pathetically in 5 minutes. :)

Anyway, 3 teams didn't play. One of them just said "fuck it, we won't play", another one just didn't seem to give a shit anymore when I kept asking them if they'd get it done, and the third one was nowhere to be found. Hopefully we won't have these issues again starting from next week, though I know all tournaments have shit like that happen. These forfeits are being counted simply as losing the map.

And now for week 2... map22 crushed the others with 6 votes, as much as I would love map15 to be played with -fast, people just voted on the BFG spam map... well, so there you go, this week's map is HR MAP22: Resistance is Futile. A lot more... exciting than the last map, I guess, and infinitely easier. Easy to the point I'd say almost all teams can beat it without trouble. I didn't see great team coordination though, which is the least I expected on this first week. Small things such as timing your shots with your teammate can make a huge difference on your game.

We will have another vote on week 4. Week 3, however, will be a map pick. I'll make sure you guys get an early BFG though, don't worry...
Last edited by SwordGrunt on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:06 am

Surely everyone's total deaths should be 2?

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:08 pm

one_Two wrote: Surely everyone's total deaths should be 2?
Watakid and Argent played solo because their teammates didn't show up. I figured it'd be unfair to give them 2 deaths but I'll talk about it with Wata since that could theoretically give them an advantage on tiebreaking which would also be unfair to the other players. Probably setting it to 2 deaths.
Last edited by SwordGrunt on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Psycho

Post by Psycho » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:52 pm

WE ARE ALL LOSERS!!! SUCK IT BITCHES, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

And if Sword picks another map like this one for round 3, I'll be opening my own tournament! The first one to rush to Grunt's house and bring me his head wins.

All kinds of forks and torches allowed, angry crowd mode! (classy!!!)
Last edited by Psycho on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:10 pm

So far two teams beat the map with a death each, and one team failed. Let's get these games going guys!

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:33 pm

I really think there can be better map picks. To be quite honest, map28/29 of epic2 might prove to be good candidates.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:42 pm

I'll check these out, but this one was a vote among 4 HR options (and this is my least favorite out of them, to be honest, as it's the easiest and most straightforward). And from what I've seen, not all teams will actually beat this, so we can't push things too hard like on the first map. We'll probably have some easier ones throughout the other weeks so people can actually have fun and not just fail on every map. I can't promise this on the last week though!

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:46 pm

The reason for those two is, they are both sort of long maps, they are better tests of how fast and careful you are compared to the abomination that is CChest map29.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Disguise
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Disguise » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:50 pm

This map was more enjoyable than that last... thing... Anyway I'm curious to see the next week's map!

Psycho

Post by Psycho » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:47 pm

I would like to point out one thing that I just realized today.

Isn't it kind of an advantage for the event judges (a.k.a Sword and Watakid) to be able to watch the other teams run, and see their routes and tricks before doing it themselves, which would help getting the lowest time, and also playing a little bit safer?

The best case would be if the judges weren't also competing in the tournament, but since this is not the case here, couldn't we get someone else to watch the runs? At least I believe that they should run first, just so they don't perfect their runs upon the effort of others.

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:47 pm

Psycho wrote: I would like to point out one thing that I just realized today.

Isn't it kind of an advantage for the event judges (a.k.a Sword and Watakid) to be able to watch the other teams run, and see their routes and tricks before doing it themselves, which would help getting the lowest time, and also playing a little bit safer?

The best case would be if the judges weren't also competing in the tournament, but since this is not the case here, couldn't we get someone else to watch the runs? At least I believe that they should run first, just so they don't perfect their runs upon the effort of others.
I was the very first to play this week and I'll gladly do so every other one if people think it's needed. I can't see how that would help at all though, remember I've obviously played through the maps multiple times before picking them or allowing them in the voting. And I can get hit by a stray rocket just as much as anyone else, so it doesn't make that much of a difference. You can be an asshole to Watakid though because his teammate never shows up :)

Frits
Forum Regular

Post by Frits » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:10 am

Why not allow subs for teammates that don't show up. Maybe add an extra death or so.

Code: Select all

Mode #grandvoid -o Konar6 by Frits
<Konar6> the fuck
<Konar6> who made this IRC
<Konar6> how is this possible

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:31 pm

A few teams have been changed already because of subs for people that just didn't show up at all or didn't care enough.

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

RE: Survival Tournament - WEEK 3: AV MAP25

Post by SwordGrunt » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:04 am

I have no idea if Alpha and Torvald intend to play in the tournament still. With one or two other teams being cut due to not showing up at all, ever, we had 4 victories and 5 defeats on this week's map. I expected better results to be honest, though a couple of people had to play solo or had someone else fill for their teammate so yeah, shit happens.

Now we're on to week 3 which I'll be extending over to the other sunday since this week's games kinda messed the schedule up, unless people actually play their games before next monday in which case we can follow the planned schedule normally (doubt it's happening.)

AV map25 is the next map. A classic and well-known map, lots of monsters but it's not as hard as the count makes it look since you have a lot of ammo and health scattered around, not to mention an early BFG. Good luck to all and have fun!

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:41 am

noes another long map, fast post your complains before gui decides to not change the map

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Watakid drops out of the tournament since his teammate is apparently too busy to show up at all, but he said he can still help and watch games if needed.

This week goes on until next sunday since last week kind of messed the schedule up. The map list for voting for next week will be up soon, and it'll most likely be a HR2 vote.