Need help testing Doomseeker 0.12

Public forum for Zandronum's testers.

Moderator: Developers

Zalewa
Developer

Need help testing Doomseeker 0.12

Post by Zalewa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:52 pm

Hi everyone,

we're nearing release of Doomseeker 0.12. A bunch of new things is being introduced in this version and all of them need some testing.

Full build can be obtained here:
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doomseeker ... 3-1825.zip
or the program will simply auto-update if you have "beta" update channel enabled.

Foremost of all, these are unresolved issues from our bug tracker:
Please give them some thorough testing.

Secondly, this changelog includes most of the things that were already tested during all the beta releases we've done in the past few months. Even though they were tested, it'd be very good to have another look at the areas that were affected and check if everything works as it should.

If you can compile Doomseeker on Linux, please also test this:
0001772: Linux: 'zandronum-server' not terminated when standard server console is closed

This release also had some changes done under the hood. They're invisible to the end-user, but they made the code much cleaner and it's now much easier to work on Doomseeker as a whole. Although end-user shouldn't be bothered much by these changes, they, as any change, could've broken something. Bearing this in mind, please report any odd behavior. With the clean up we've also made effort to ensure the stability of the plugin API that Doomseeker exposes. This means that this should be the last version that starts with an "0.", and we plan that next release will finally be a 1.0, which was long overdue.
Doomseeker - a real answer to cross-platform server browser.
Doomseeker dev builds - unofficial Doomseeker builds for Windows.
Gamer's Proxy - a program to emulate ping and packet losses.

Zalewa
Developer

RE: Need help testing Doomseeker 0.12

Post by Zalewa » Thu May 01, 2014 9:45 am

Many thanks go to Arco for the help provided with testing. However, there are still issues hanging out there that have no confirmation from anyone.

Please, if you're not sure what the given issue is about, check out the last note on that issue's page. In each unintuitive case I tried to explain what exactly needs to be tested.

We don't want to release a bugged product that will only force us to release bug hotfixes.

capodecima
Banned
Banned: Permanently

Post by capodecima » Thu May 01, 2014 12:17 pm

Hmm i like it now. Server refresh really fast oda+zan. And servers aren't mish mash anymore, this is good. :) Also i like how it up servers only with humans not with bots. Now what i think could be better. I kinda miss options where i can fill my name, but this is not so big problem. What i dislike is the demo manager, can i even change change path where will demos save? I cant find it. Also the demo manager could sorted demos for odamex and zandronum separately. Also there aren't server details for odamex servers. But i guess its bcz beta version. Also is it necessary show dead servers? Keep up good work, i think you are close make great server browser!

EDIT: I probably found how this demos works. After recoding demo i can decide which demo saves probably. Hmm this is not bad idea.

EDIT2: Hmm i still think this servers could be sorted better, there could be choice sort by players and port same time. Not only by Players or servers or etc.
Last edited by capodecima on Thu May 01, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Thu May 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks for the input.
capodecima wrote: Also i like how it up servers only with humans not with bots.
This was actually in for quite some time now :)
capodecima wrote: I kinda miss options where i can fill my name, but this is not so big problem.
I don't think it's a problem either. Ports usually have a very good interface that already allows you to specify your name. We want Doomseeker to be a complementary of ports features, not a replacement.
capodecima wrote: Also there aren't server details for odamex servers. But i guess its bcz beta version.
I believe server details dock should be showing players for Odamex servers, the problem is that Odamex servers are always empty. Dmflags are another case and we'll add that eventually.
capodecima wrote: Also is it necessary show dead servers?
Yes, I think it is. Dead servers are always moved to the bottom of the list, so they shouldn't bother anyone, unless you have a long list of customs. Even so server filter allows you to hide all dead servers. They're still displayed by default because sometimes this is the only indication for the people that their server has started up properly but their router or firewall configuration is misbehaving. If your friend sees your server as dead then it tells you that you need to fix something with your network setup. Furthermore, some routers have disgusting feature of changing the port on which the packet is outgoing and the dead server list will tell you that.

Edit regarding your EDIT2:
capodecima wrote: EDIT2: Hmm i still think this servers could be sorted better, there could be choice sort by players and port same time. Not only by Players or servers or etc.
See what is available when you right click on the server list and in the server filter dock.
Last edited by Zalewa on Thu May 01, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capodecima
Banned

Post by capodecima » Thu May 01, 2014 12:44 pm

Oh yeah now i finally found the right server list for me. Great. :) Also how then works this demo manager. When i am recording demo, demo dont save ? But is in some temporary folder or something, and i can later save it ? Just curious how this works.

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Thu May 01, 2014 1:35 pm

capodecima wrote: Oh yeah now i finally found the right server list for me. Great. :) Also how then works this demo manager. When i am recording demo, demo dont save ? But is in some temporary folder or something, and i can later save it ? Just curious how this works.
You can launch program in two modes: normal and portable. On Windows, normal mode stores all demos in "%APPDATA%/.doomseeker/demos" directory. In portable mode this is stored in "<where-doomseeker.exe-is>/.doomseeker/demos".

It would probably be better to store such files in "My Documents" by default but changing this now would not be backwards compatible. We might consider this for release 1.0, though.

Blzut3
Developer

Post by Blzut3 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:58 pm

Actually hiding the demos there is intentional. The user should never have to poke around that directory for the file, and doing so runs the minimal risk of leaving the demo manager in an inconsistent state. The idea is that Doomseeker will save the demo in a way that it understands, and if the user wants the demo accessible outside of Doomseeker they can use the save function. Doomseeker doesn't automatically delete any of the demos.

In other words the demo manager is basically a game log. There are some uses for this way of doing things. We could implement an optional pruning feature so you can set to record and forget and then save only the matches worth watching. We could allow the user to input additional meta data and then provide a searchable database. I'm sure there are other features we could do that I'm not thinking of.

On the other hand, encouraging direct access to the folder would mean we would need to provide mechanisms to keep the demo folder tidy for catering to a user's preferred file system organization. (Where to store? What file name?)

capodecima
Banned

Post by capodecima » Mon May 05, 2014 11:44 am

Hmm i think i found bug, when i want join ODA server and i dont have wad, it start downloading and when it finish nothing happens and after i cant join. I had set default path where save wads (\AppData\Roaming\.doomseeker), it works on zandronum without any problem. Also when i changed path where will wads saves to say "\Users\jarin27\doom\odamex" i could join server without any problem. So i guess there is some bug on odamex side, when you are using default path to save wads. They can be saved there but cant be loaded from there.
Play more vanilla
odamex.net

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Mon May 05, 2014 4:19 pm

capodecima wrote: Hmm i think i found bug, when i want join ODA server and i dont have wad, it start downloading and when it finish nothing happens and after i cant join. I had set default path where save wads (\AppData\Roaming\.doomseeker), it works on zandronum without any problem. Also when i changed path where will wads saves to say "\Users\jarin27\doom\odamex" i could join server without any problem. So i guess there is some bug on odamex side, when you are using default path to save wads. They can be saved there but cant be loaded from there.
I'm unable to reproduce this.

There's a feature in Doomseeker where the game will autostart only if Wadseeker window has focus currently. If you deactive the Wadseeker window by basically doing anything else on your computer, the download will still complete but the game won't start automatically. Download finish is indicated by flashing of Wadseeker entry on the task bar and when you go to the Wadseeker window there will be "Start game" button there.