Doomseeker needs some (more) testing

Public forum for Zandronum's testers.

Moderator: Developers

Zalewa
Developer

Doomseeker needs some (more) testing

Post by Zalewa » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi again. We've reached another milestone in Doomseeker development that will help us greatly in the near and far future.

For the past two months we've been working on this issue:
http://zandronum.com/tracker/view.php?id=1586

The idea here is to clean up plugin API so that it can be stable and flexible. In the past we often needed to release updates for plugins together with Doomseeker even if nothing was changed in these plugins. This happened when some changes had to be made to the main program that rendered all existing plugins incompatible. After the changes this should no longer be the case and we'll have more freedom when expanding the functionality of the program. Still, all changes that were required to make this work have spanned over large amount of files in the whole project and we can't be sure if we didn't break something by accident.

Here's where we need some help and this is what you can do. Get this Windows build:
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doomseeker ... est_v3.zip

Please note that this build is not available on any of the auto-update channels so if you have those enabled then please disable them for the testing period or your program will be overwritten.

Following issues should also be done in this release, so please test them also: Furthermore, try to use the program. Try to load your stored server configurations, join some games, see if everything works as it should and whether there are any crashes. Check if portable mode works as it should. We don't expect you to go through every possible control in the program and manually check if all produced output is correct. Just using it a bit like you'd normally do and reporting back is good enough. Thanks.
Last edited by Zalewa on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doomseeker - a real answer to cross-platform server browser.
Doomseeker dev builds - unofficial Doomseeker builds for Windows.
Gamer's Proxy - a program to emulate ping and packet losses.

DevilHunter
Zandronum Tester

RE: Doomseeker needs some testing

Post by DevilHunter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:04 pm

So far, so Good. Did you have time to fix up the Custom Parameters box? to where it you can include spaces? Would be nice.

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:08 pm

We'll deal with reported issues once we know that the current build of the program is stable. Achieving what we have now was very important for the future, even though it introduced no visible change in the user experience.

DevilHunter
Zandronum Tester

Post by DevilHunter » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:32 am

Hmm, well so far all is well. Havn't had any issues at all.. Have yet to try to launch a Server, or the IRC bit but.. Will test soon

TerminusEst13
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by TerminusEst13 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:33 pm

Probably quite unrelated to the...API thingy which I'll admit is completely over my head, but using the Demo Manager seems to constantly crash for me.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:43 am

TerminusEst13 wrote: Probably quite unrelated to the...API thingy which I'll admit is completely over my head, but using the Demo Manager seems to constantly crash for me.
Thanks for pointing that out. The problem was actually affecting the whole program. I've updated the original post with this build:
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doomseeker ... est_v2.zip

Demo manager shouldn't crash anymore.

Absolute Zero

Post by Absolute Zero » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Demo manager is not playing demos. Whenever I select one to be played, it shows me this message: "doesn't exist or is not a file". I always execute Doomseeker using "doomseeker-portable.bat" in this build*: http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doomseeker ... est_v2.zip

* Added link for future references.
Last edited by Absolute Zero on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMPLEMENT WEAPON PICKUP PREDICTION 2K14! VOTE NOW! YES/YES

In fact, I hate Kelvins, and humans too, because they are carrying nearly 300 of them EVERYWHERE!

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:23 pm

Absolute Zero wrote: Demo manager is not playing demos. Whenever I select one to be played, it shows me this message: "doesn't exist or is not a file". I always execute Doomseeker using "doomseeker-portable.bat" in this build*: http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doomseeker ... est_v2.zip

* Added link for future references.
Thank you. That's exactly the help we need. Problem should be fixed by this change. I'm not posting a new build just yet, so if you want this functionality feel free to go back to the official release.

Moreover, I'd also like to mention that we will be presenting next build of the same kind in the near future. I'll post it here once it becomes available, and all I'm asking is to do the same kind of testing as with this one.

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:56 pm

Here's another build:
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doomseeker ... est_v3.zip

Here we changed a bit how server list is stored in memory to ensure that servers are not forgotten before they stop being needed. This should help with some edge cases where the program could still crash.

Following issues should also be done in this release, so please test them also: I've also edited the first post accordingly.

Finally, if all is well this update will also be made available on the "Beta" update channel.

DevilHunter
Zandronum Tester

RE: Doomseeker needs some (more) testing

Post by DevilHunter » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:00 am

Checked out everything on the list, all is well. However, when going to check the Cmd Line via Passworded server, it first asks for a Password, then it goes ahead and shows the Cmd Line, as stated on the Post I made on the ticket.

However, all the rest work just fine/fixed.

ZzZombo
Forum Regular

Post by ZzZombo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:04 am

That's logical, because the password is send to the game executable via command line.
QZRcon - Qt-based tool for Zandronum/Skulltag servers!
#grandvoid funny stats

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:35 pm

Thank you all for testing. The new build is now officially available on the beta auto-update channel.