-

Discuss operations pertaining directly about the forum here.

Moderator: Website Maintainers

Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

RE: Suggestion: Suspension/ban distinction

Post by Zakken » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:15 pm

This is a nice idea.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:31 pm

Did you take screens of your suspension? It's been forever since I got purg'd, I usually just get banned.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:14 pm

Seems to subside the fact that a suspension is a form of punishment, thus being able to post if a mod lets you (which would likely create tons of drama) seems like a let off. Rules are rules, just stick to them or leave tbh

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:23 pm

I have a better suggestion: Change the 'Suspended' user group to 'Vacation' since uppity posters who get suspended need a break from the forums every time.
Projects

EonDM - With Hatred as my sidekick.
RageCTF - Made 1 map and did much more.
DBAB LMS - Pack made for Last Man Standing.
EonWeapons - Improve vanilla weapons and add stuff for kicks.
Progressive Duel - Leaving the old behind.
IDL201X CTF - Maintaining since 2013.
Strife AA - Helped tested + 1 map

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:00 am

Decay wrote:
one_Two wrote: Seems to subside the fact that a suspension is a form of punishment, thus being able to post if a mod lets you (which would likely create tons of drama) seems like a let off. Rules are rules, just stick to them or leave tbh
I think you are missing the point. Essentially the "suspended" and "banned" user groups are the same. Currently, there is no real purpose to having two separate groups for the same thing. What I'm offering is a suggestion on making the "suspended" group different.
I get what you're saying but it's not really a problem is it, the main difference is users can see if a person will be able to post one day or not.

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:07 am

one_Two wrote:
Decay wrote:
one_Two wrote: Seems to subside the fact that a suspension is a form of punishment, thus being able to post if a mod lets you (which would likely create tons of drama) seems like a let off. Rules are rules, just stick to them or leave tbh
I think you are missing the point. Essentially the "suspended" and "banned" user groups are the same. Currently, there is no real purpose to having two separate groups for the same thing. What I'm offering is a suggestion on making the "suspended" group different.
I get what you're saying but it's not really a problem is it, the main difference is users can see if a person will be able to post one day or not.
So you're saying users (such as yourself) will have problems if people who you think don't deserve to post are able to?

I'm 100% sure it would be a good thing if being suspended forces people to make better, more constructive posts. It's a good habit to have.
<PUN1SH3R> Cube has a magnetic effect
<PUN1SH3R> all other clans are in orbit with us, they just dont know it
<PUN1SH3R> occasionally cube will pull a player into it's system
[Quote=DwangoUnited Website] Eyes has tainted the DWANGO name in World of Warcraft. Eyes owes several thousand gold to friends that offered to loan it to him. He's since cut us off completely, and is not planning on gaming or paying back what he owes leaving DWANGO United with the debt. You have hurt us in more ways than you can know, pal. I hope you're happy that we've bent over backwards for you. Thanks for paying us back with a spit in the face and a cold shoulder. By the way pal, your bfg skills suck ass.[/quote]
09:08 <Shane_> It's better being a cuck
09:08 <Shane_> Trust me, you'll learn one day

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:01 am

Honestly I didn't learn anything from being "suspended" ("purgatory" at the time) that I didn't learn from being banned. There were only 2 other people in purg with me at the time (John-O and FireWolf aka Conflagrated) so it was basically like a chat room daycare where we spammed topics that would only get 2 or 3 replies and pretended to play nice (except John-O).

The only highlights were when me and FireWolf posted random maps and screens knowing full well that only the admins could see it. That was the only constructive moment I remember and I can't guarantee that a member who's not a mapper would do the same, it was kind of like the only thing TO do, Metal basically said that we had no set duration, we would be in there until we posted civilly enough times to be deemed worthy of freedom.

Just ban people. "Suspension" should just mean "temp ban" whereas "BANNED" should mean "perm ban nevercomingback".
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:54 am

That's pretty much what we do now

mifu
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Post by mifu » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:03 am

Hello guys.

Sorry for the bump but I shall let you know that I had a bit of a look into this and quite frankly Decay is right. Theres not much distinction between being suspended and being banned.

Since I now have spare time in my hands though I will be working out a way to change it based on Decay's suggestion. Not sure when we can expect this to occur though as I have a fair bit of shit to discuss now in relation to this (just to work out what is suitable and if we got enough staff to get posts approved etc)

That being said, change is happening and will happen soon.

Dark-Assassin
Maintenence Crew

Post by Dark-Assassin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:43 am

When the Suspension group was set up on these forums, it was originally intended to stop people from posting and that was it.
It was built as a workaround for the tempoary bans that pretty much used to be Banned on short timer. Now it seems it's mostly back at that again.

Zanieon
Forum Regular

Post by Zanieon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:58 am

mifu wrote:change is happening and will happen soon.
OMG Mifu, you gonna do it again?

*Prepares the OMGRUN Meme*