[split] Forum Bans discussion

Discuss operations pertaining directly about the forum here.

Moderator: Website Maintainers

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

[split] Forum Bans discussion

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:13 pm

So for what amount of time are they all banned for(minus slim)? What exactly does 'in and outside the forum' encompass? IRC? Servers?
Projects

EonDM - With Hatred as my sidekick.
RageCTF - Made 1 map and did much more.
DBAB LMS - Pack made for Last Man Standing.
EonWeapons - Improve vanilla weapons and add stuff for kicks.
Progressive Duel - Leaving the old behind.
IDL201X CTF - Maintaining since 2013.
Strife AA - Helped tested + 1 map

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

RE: Forum Bans

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:39 pm

From what I've seen, only Slim has an expiration set (1 month).

The bans themselves I didn't actually do, so I'm not 100% on their reasonings.

infurnus
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Unidoom
Clan Tag: UD

Post by infurnus » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:58 am

Ru5tK1ng wrote: What exactly does 'in and outside the forum' encompass?
Shenanigans throughout the community itself
Edit for pedantic clarification: zandronum community, of course
Ru5tK1ng wrote: So for what amount of time are they all banned for
Unless otherwise noted, listed bans are permanent, as per the OP

Strikerman's ban was pretty much self-requested, so I don't know if that one will be truly permanent or not in the long term

Honestly after everything that's been going on in social media for the past few months I would unplug the internet for a while if I could
Last edited by infurnus on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:08 am

That answer is still too broad. I don't contest their banning for the forum postings, but I just don't understand that extra bit. I don't particularly see how server shenanigans should pertain to the forums especially since hosts more or less manage their clusters on their own.
Projects

Metal

Post by Metal » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:44 am

Ru5tK1ng wrote:
That answer is still too broad. I don't contest their banning for the forum postings, but I just don't understand that extra bit. I don't particularly see how server shenanigans should pertain to the forums especially since hosts more or less manage their clusters on their own.
Could possibly mean that drama from servers and IRC are being dragged here and end up being blown up in a not-so-nice fashion. But you're right, it is a broad answer and I could be wrong.
Last edited by Metal on Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
<EazyDI>harrased me
<EazyDI>and called me a dinner
<EazyDI>n*****
<EazyDI>lmao not dinner

infurnus

Post by infurnus » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:27 pm

Metal wrote: Could possibly mean that drama from servers and IRC are being dragged here and end up being blown up in a not-so-nice fashion. But you're right, it is a broad answer and I could be wrong.
I apologize for being vague, but that pretty much sums it up

A lot of the drama stems from long running animosity between individuals

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm

So...they got banned for bringing their dislike of each other on the forum? Sounds like the entire act is in the gray area, honestly.
Projects

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:18 am

Reminds me of when me and Firewolf got purg'd for petty arguments way back when.

I was surprised to see these users' names red all of a sudden. I have no clue what happened because I'm pretty out of the loop I guess but i can't really say I support the outright banning of people whom I'm friends with and who honestly (aside from their compulsive, inflammatory posting habits) are not great detriments to this community. Maybe I don't know what happened but I'm gonna assume it was just a maturity thing.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:29 am

Ænima wrote:(aside from their compulsive, inflammatory posting habits) are not great detriments to this community.
But isn't that kind a gigantic detriment to the community?
I dunno, I'm not really seeing the problem with this. Someone routinely makes a whole ton of trouble, routinely posts a bunch of angry stuff, routinely drags drama to the forums, they get banned for it.
I mean, that happens with other people pretty regularly. I don't think someone should be able to slide off things because they make wads.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:29 pm

You can't support the banning of people you're friends with? Please reread that sentence and point out the obvious issue with it.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:28 pm

Yeah that's not what I meant though. I meant like "I know these guys personally and have talked to them for a long time, they're usually nice people and they aren't out to terrorize the community". I mean consequences are consequences, I get that, people like Cata and Danzoa who have their posts split at least once a week are bound to hit their limit sometime. I'm not sure if Slim falls in that category though.

I'd say reduce the bans to temp. Doom is dying. It's bad enough we lost Striker, lets not lose any more smart modders over petty squabbles.

(Once again, stating that neither my friendship nor their community status grants them immunity.)
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

TheCubasy

Post by TheCubasy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Doom is pretty much dying I know that for a fact I just hope that some of the younger people (hopefully not too young...) will play doom 4 or 'doom' in this case will spark their interest in knowing what the other games were like and hopefully spark some more interest in this community.
Play scary.wad, it's horrifying: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5289

The one posting on this account is not Cubasy, rather it is WhiteAce.

Nazi Zombies doom edition, fix 3 (or 0.7.3) Will be released next week if all goes well, expect some big changes in Map03

ibm5155
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by ibm5155 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:15 pm

Well, why not suspended? Like, I "made" a suicide joke and I got suspended, not banned.
Actually, I don't see nothing bad on it, you just can't post for a period of time (but, just dont post an "I live again" thread when your ban date expire, my experience). Pff, one month isn't nothing, when you see it, it passed :p
Projects
Cursed Maze: DONE, V2.0
Zombie Horde - ZM09 map update: [3/15/13]
Need help with English? Then you've come to the right place!

<this post is proof of "Decline">

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:48 pm

Blue has pretty much more warns than anyone. I even compared his warn logs to 4 other people known for racking warnings up (Swift, Decay, Capo, Water), and he had more warns than all 4. Even Capo.

He's literally the most warned person on the forums. Think about it.

and now to add to the pile
Spiceyjack - Suspicious user, possibly Shadowfox - September 27th 2014
Last edited by The Toxic Avenger on Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doomkid
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Post by Doomkid » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:53 am

TheCubasy wrote: Doom is pretty much dying I know that for a fact I just hope that some of the younger people (hopefully not too young...) will play doom 4 or 'doom' in this case will spark their interest in knowing what the other games were like and hopefully spark some more interest in this community.
I wouldn't sweat it, TheCubasy - People have be calling out "Doom is dying!" since like 1999, and yet over the last 15 years, between all 3 ports, there's usually been like 150 players or more online at any given time. I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon :)

TheCubasy

Post by TheCubasy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:44 am

I hope not, Doom was the first game I've ever played, can someone split this please?
Play scary.wad, it's horrifying: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5289

The one posting on this account is not Cubasy, rather it is WhiteAce.

Nazi Zombies doom edition, fix 3 (or 0.7.3) Will be released next week if all goes well, expect some big changes in Map03

Tenchu
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: LF

Post by Tenchu » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:26 am

BlueWiz banned for instigating drama? Who would've known. :rolleyes:
[22:42:21] [@SkullRush] ok guys today was one of the worst days of my life i spent p much 18 hours in my pc watching hentai and played doom with huge lag i guess i shiould go to bed now
[22:42:26] [@SkullRush] if i dont suicide, see you guys tomorrow
[22:42:29] [@SkullRush] bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb^_^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[22:43:02] • Quit: (SkullRush) (~SkullRush@SkullRush.users.zandronum.com) ("Quitting")
[22:43:40] [+Jenova] wow
[22:43:47] [+Jenova] ur avg zandronum player ladies and gentlemen

infurnus

RE: [split] Forum Bans discussion

Post by infurnus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:12 am

Decay wrote: I don't know how many times it's been screamed that "what is done in-game/in irc/on the forums is separate!" Yet the policy was (maybe still is, can't be bothered to check) if you're banned on one you can be banned on all three... Make up your minds.
If people are bringing drama into the forums from outside, they are still only being punished on the forums for what they have done on the forums. No amount of mental gymnastics will ever change this.

Catastrophe already argued in #zastaff on IRC about this, and he also cited your Sgt. Mk. call-out thread and that I was wrong in banning Sgt. Mk. for what he said on the forums. He also said that everyone, including yourself, should be banned for posting in the thread. I'll let that sink in.

E:
Decay wrote:As far as bans being permanent, is the shit they've done really warranted more than a month? Sounds like personal vendettas to me.
You're right, but the personal vendettas are not coming from me.
Decay wrote: Ban someone with (presumably) few ones
%130 including expired ones that would otherwise trigger automatic post moderation
Decay wrote: Chill the fuck out son, I didn't realize this was the zdaemon forums.
If ZDaemon forums are all about callouts and ours is anything like them, then a lot of us need to chill.
Last edited by infurnus on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hammerfest-
Forum Regular
Clan: A3.33333333333333333
Clan Tag: A3.33333333

Post by Hammerfest- » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:26 am

infurnus wrote:
Decay wrote: I don't know how many times it's been screamed that "what is done in-game/in irc/on the forums is separate!" Yet the policy was (maybe still is, can't be bothered to check) if you're banned on one you can be banned on all three... Make up your minds.
If people are bringing drama into the forums from outside, they are still only being punished on the forums for what they have done on the forums. No amount of mental gymnastics will ever change this.

Catastrophe already argued in #zastaff on IRC about this, and he also cited your Sgt. Mk. call-out thread and that I was wrong in banning Sgt. Mk. for what he said on the forums. He also said that everyone, including yourself, should be banned for posting in the thread. I'll let that sink in.

E:
Decay wrote:As far as bans being permanent, is the shit they've done really warranted more than a month? Sounds like personal vendettas to me.
You're right, but the personal vendettas are not coming from me.
Decay wrote: Ban someone with (presumably) few ones
%130 including expired ones that would otherwise trigger automatic post moderation
Decay wrote: Chill the fuck out son, I didn't realize this was the zdaemon forums.
If ZDaemon forums are all about callouts and ours is anything like them, then a lot of us need to chill.
May I ask that I be kept out of whatever petty argument you are having with Decay or whatever party is involved? I seldom post most of the time.

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:32 am

Hammerfest- wrote: May I ask that I be kept out of whatever petty argument you are having with Decay or whatever party is involved? I seldom post most of the time.
You weren't even brought up to begin with. You just happened to have the post above Mark's in that thread; your name was never actually mentioned.