[split] Forum Bans discussion

Discuss operations pertaining directly about the forum here.

Moderator: Website Maintainers

Dusk
Developer

RE: [split] Forum Bans discussion

Post by Dusk » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:55 am

I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly is going on in this debacle but as someone who is (unfortunately inevitably..) involved with both sides of this argument it seems to me like we have another big misunderstanding at hand with both sides taking each other out of context. Perhaps all this boils down to bad wording from both sides?
CloudFlash wrote: But I guess I'm in no position to speak anyways, seeing how I'm by no means relevant to this discossion...
Nonsense. This is an argumentative discussion with the entire community involved.

Konda
Forum Regular

Post by Konda » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:16 pm

Dusk wrote: I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly is going on in this debacle but as someone who is (unfortunately inevitably..) involved with both sides of this argument it seems to me like we have another big misunderstanding at hand with both sides taking each other out of context. Perhaps all this boils down to bad wording from both sides?
It was difficult for me to understand the direction of the conversation until Decay summed up his own points here. The problem was that initially, along his points he included cheesy implications like "personal vendettas" which caused this. I'm pretty sure mifu pointed this out earlier in the thread - how it's lame to make attacks like that alongside trying to prove a point.
Last edited by Konda on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

<Synert> fuck
<Synert> plugged in my memory stick and got a bsod

Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:54 am

Not going to hop into the heart of the argument as I'm sure it was wrapped up in IRC a while ago, but someone here thought it was a good idea to continue beating this one dead horse! Perhaps this argument is being dragged out far beyond its worth, thanks to some irritating circular logic I'm seeing here... However, one exception I'll concede is the problem with the apparently omitted or simply incorrect reasons for banning. If a reason is too vague, then it shouldn't hurt to elaborate -- this goes for pretty much any ban. It takes little effort to dig up enough evidence to warrant punishing any common troublemaker, so it shouldn't be a problem to add some details to the bans that are currently set in place, and any future ones. As for the forums, in-game and IRC judgment separation issue, maybe it'd provide less headache to let go of some of those barriers: the administration team has no good reason to limit their own knowledge on a certain person's behavior just because they are supposed to treat those three places as separate lobbies. Shouldn't a moderator be allowed to deliver judgment on somebody if he knows enough about the person to have a good analysis on his character? I'd say yes -- admins should have every right to keep a closer eye on possible liabilities. If somebody has caused good amounts of trouble in any place pertaining to the Zandro community, admins should be encouraged to be wary of this person's moves in all other places that have to do with Zandro, and since his actions, no matter the place, count as incriminating proof, I don't see why not list them as complimentary reasons for any further bans. This would clear some things up, leave less room for doubt and debate, and most likely increase the transparency that the admins strive for.

Another thing that irks me in this thread is the disgusting hypocrisy coming from some. It is fun to call the administration bad, aggressive, comparing them to ZDaemon and all of that jazz, but it's very bold of those people to do so while also throwing jabs at the admins at every chance they get. They can't even concede a point without sneaking in a sassy "was it that hard to say that?" comment! I shouldn't be supposed to teach etiquette in a place like this, but here goes: if you're going to call somebody out on doing something wrong, you should, at the very least, set the example by doing the right thing, otherwise you're being a hypocrite and possibly a projector too. I also don't see much wrong with the leaked logs posted up above. Disregarding the obvious instigating, drama-bait nature coming from the guy who posted them, there is nothing wrong with discussing ideas among the staff. Nobody is born with a pristine sense of judgment, and the best way to properly discuss whether an idea is good or not is in a group of people. That's the main reason why this, and many other administrations are made of groups, not single individuals. Those leaked logs hold about as much water as any ridiculous bill that never saw the light of day, and the fact you went out of your way to get them out of a private channel shows that you're more interested in disrupting the administration as it is instead of being helpful, which would explain your behavior here in general. Though that is not much of a surprise for me.