Doom Masters League 2019 [Feb - May 2019]

Discuss, plan, or look back on community events here.
Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Doom Masters League 2019 [Feb - May 2019]

Post by Zakken » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:18 am

Welcome to the Doom Masters League 2019!

The Doom Masters League (DML 2019, for short) is a yearly CTF league spanning three months of activity, starting in mid-February and ending in early May, with sign-ups opening in mid-January. It is a large-scale league, both in terms of team rosters and league duration, and is designed to be Zandronum's most ambitious and high-profile CTF event of the year. Because of that, I urge you guys to come through and participate if you can find the time, as you'll be very likely to end up on a team roster (ideally evenly matched with other teams) and play an active part in the league regardless of your skill level.

Games are played on a 3v3 setting as per usual, and team rosters are comprised of four members (one captain, three drafted players). Team composition will be determined by way of an auction draft, where captains make bids on available players in the free agency, regulated by an auctioneer, with a starting budget of $30. All in all, the same as everybody is used to.

All teams will compete for points in a single group, with the same point system that was utilised in DCWC 2018. Assuming there will be 5-6 teams, the schedule will be 8 weeks long, with a bye week in-between weeks 5 and 6. Hopefully this will help mitigate player burnout while retaining players' interest. Much like in DCWC, each week will feature three different maps, one for each round. Playoff matches will be best-of-5, also taking a page out of DCWC's book in terms of how homefields work.

In summary, that's how DML is going to function. You can picture it as just being a longer WDL with a short break thrown in so players don't start hating Doom TOO much to keep playing. As usual, all future information pertaining DML will be found here on Zandronum forums and on the ZCA Discord.

Sign-ups open on January 14th and close on February 10th. The full time table will be posted as sign-ups open.
Last edited by Zakken on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shane
Forum Regular
Clan: Renegades
Clan Tag: [R]

Re: Doom Masters League 2019 [Feb - May 2019]

Post by Shane » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:57 pm

I think we're running out of initials/abbreviatons to use

Samurai
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

Post by Samurai » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:10 pm

Agree with Shane, it's getting ridiculous now. Just call it basic CTF tournament or something.

Zakken

Post by Zakken » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:23 pm

I thought DML was a cool name that rolled off the tongue too. :sad: Y'all mean

Zakken

Post by Zakken » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:13 pm

Decay wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:16 pm
More like FML for a 3 month long event, wtf? More than 3 months if you're generating hype and sign ups in Jan and ending in May, that's 5 months. That's insane.
Counting from the draft week up until the grand finals week, it should take no longer than 3.5 months. That's why I implemented a couple of bye weeks and a 5th member in each team, so teams aren't as burned out and have more team composition options instead of just forfeiting weeks that aren't as important to them.

Regardless, I'd be lying if I said this wasn't kind of a gamble. Long tournaments like this were (barely) doable in the IDL days, but we've definitely grown accustomed to shorter tournaments and leagues. In spite of that though, I really want to invest in a larger-scale tournament, and this is as far as I'm willing to go. I've made accommodations to make the grind less harsh on all teams, but I'm still open to more ideas that could help teams struggle less for the tourney's duration.

Zakken

Post by Zakken » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:23 am

After some considerations, I've decided to make a number of small changes to DML's structure:

- The duration of the regular season has been shortened from 10 weeks to 8 weeks;
- The two bye weeks have been replaced with a single bye week, taking place between week 5 and week 6;
- Team rosters' size has been reduced from 5 to 4 players per team.

With these changes, DML is now slated to end in early May instead of late May, so the duration should amount to 2.5 months. I also have faith that all teams should be capable of creating consistent teams with just 4 players total, without having to rely on many trades, even for a league of this duration.

Please look forward to it!