Doom CTF World Championship [Sep – Nov 2018] (+ long-term future plans)

Discuss, plan, or look back on community events here.
Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Doom CTF World Championship [Sep – Nov 2018] (+ long-term future plans)

Post by Zakken » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:11 am

Greetings, everyone. I’d like to introduce you to my latest competitive project! Although it’s not as much of an all-new thing as it is an adaptation of previous leagues and tournaments with a select few changes, it is regardless a new undertaking that I hope will interest CTF aficionados of all groups and skill levels.

The storied legacy of Doom CTF spans a decade and a half by now, and even in 2018, players are still hungry for more action (myself included)! So let’s kick adversity to the curb and write an exciting new chapter of this gamemode we’ve invested so many precious years of our blood, sweat and tears in.

Is it going to be CTF?
As you can see from the title, yes! Indeed, it will be CTF and nothing more, nothing less, with the traditional rulesets you know and love and familiar servers and maps. Instead of the 3.1-alpha shenanigans I brought on with GDA Winter 2018, I intend to bring an experience that is as close to NJ Private CTF in its current state as possible, so players should not be forced to relearn any aspects of the game.

Is this affiliated with IDL, WDL, GDA, MDF or what have you?
Nope! I am currently the sole individual working on this, although if you'd like to volunteer as staff, please let me know ASAP -- there is only so much I can do by myself, after all.

So, what even is this? What sets it apart from other CTF leagues and tournaments?
The DCWC is a yearly event that will function similarly to GDA Winter 2018 in that 6+ teams will be separated into 2+ groups, by which a group stage will be played out to decide the strongest teams of each group. The two greatest differentials will be that first, this group stage will last for a bit longer compared to GDA (aiming for 4-6 weeks before playoffs) and second, teams will be pre-made, as in, the entirety of the teams are organised by the sign-ups themselves, so whether you're a top player hoping to team up with your similarly top-level buddies, or you're a rookie aspiring to learn the ropes of high-level CTF alongside your friends, you'll find plenty of activity here, both in practises and in real matches!

When does it start, when does it end?
Sign-ups should open a week from now, and will stay up for about a month. DCWC proceedings will start right afterwards, and will be expected to end by early November. Exact dates shall be disclosed later on.

I don't like this tournament system. Can I have my WDL-styled, draft-based league back please?
Fret not! I actually have more plans in store for those of you looking for a more high-stakes event, but those will have to wait until after the DCWC ends. I am thankful that you guys have supported my wacky tournaments since the days of CTF Tendency, and I hope that you continue to participate as I make new, greater things happen for the community.

I refuse to believe this is a real thing until there's a Discord group about it.
Ok fine you win https://discord.gg/ekEqgF4

Feel free to ask questions, post feedback, send words of encouragement and the like!

nax
Lead Administrator

Re: Doom CTF World Championship [Sep – Nov 2018] (+ long-term future plans)

Post by nax » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Good luck on the tournament!

Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Re: Doom CTF World Championship [Sep – Nov 2018] (+ long-term future plans)

Post by Zakken » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:13 am

Thanks, Nax! Could I still use the GDA forums for this, maybe?