Return of CTF Tendency (+ more!)

Discuss, plan, or look back on community events here.
Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Return of CTF Tendency (+ more!)

Post by Zakken » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:13 am

[spoiler=""Why are you back in Doom yet again, Zakken??"""]
I know, I made that somewhat controversial and idiotic thread back in April, so I might as well come clean on what's going on.

I spent a while watching the competitive scene of largely popular games and some not-so-popular games alike, and needless to say, I was really, really disappointed with the levels of activity this place had. Indeed, 5 years ago, the IDL was having its peak moments with roughly 60-100 players participating each season, and now, such tournament numbers HAVE taken a huge dip. But I genuinely don't think the scene is beyond saving right now. And perhaps, it wouldn't even take too much effort to revive that hype. Regardless, it was a mistake of mine to lose my excitement over Doom because of said disappointment. I was expecting the scene to get large again and perhaps even more like other scenes I've seen, and I think I overstressed myself about what I was trying to do for the community (outside factors like depression also added to the fatigue), so I felt it necessary to take a break until I sorted things out and looked at this game from a better perspective. Doom has always been a long-time hobby for me, and it should've never become anything less than that. When something I used to enjoy so much started turning into something negative and detrimental to me, I had to stop for a bit and figure out what's gone wrong. The problem wasn't that I was addicted to the game or anything crazy like that, but rather, that my expectations from the game changed to something I would get constantly unhappy about.

So now that I finally got most of my recurring life problems out of the way, I managed to remind myself that in the end, I should only be doing things for fun here; that has always been the primary goal of being here in the first place (this shouldn't be different for any of you either), and I actually lost sight of that at some point, but no more. I'm still pursuing greater ambitions elsewhere at my own pace, but it's still possible for me to enjoy myself here, so I'll keep doing what I've always done best, I guess! So I'd very much like to keep hosting tournaments, since it's something I've always been passionate about, even if I may or may not personally play in all of them.[/spoiler]

After a very long hiatus, I'd like to announce that CTF Tendency is officially back in business! For those of you unfamiliar with it, CTF Tendency is a successful tournament series where all of the participating players gather around at the same time, and play all of their tournament matches right off the bat, after all of the teams' rosters are determined through a draft.

The original concept for Tendency Circuit (as seen here) had a very busy schedule, and I basically would've had to spend a large fraction of my every weekend to host something! Not to mention that such gatherings would become smaller as a result (due to increased player burnout and "it's no problem if I miss out on this one, because the next one is right up on the next weekend" mentality). As a result, I am ditching Tendency tournaments for other gamemodes and making it a purely CTF-based series to be hosted every month, just like how it used to be when I first started hosting it. I'll also be uploading some of the video footage of the tournaments to YouTube for greater exposure. c:

In addition to CTF Tendency, I have plans for a different tournament of greater proportions to take place sometime this Spring. So, if you've long waited to see some high-level CTF tournaments outside of Dragon's IFL, you're in luck! I'm just as eager as you are to put Zandronum back in the map as a good reference for Doom CTF competition.

Sign-ups for the first Tendency Monthly of this new series are now open! Check it out here!!
Last edited by Zakken on Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kara Kurt

RE: Return of CTF Tendency (+ more!)

Post by Kara Kurt » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Good luck with that dude. It's nice to see it back!

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:50 pm

nice fake paragraphs, "why are you really hosting ctf again soulsucka?"
-Cuz u got banned from the IDL AND WDL and life is boring once you get past your mental apex

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:53 pm

How did becoming a pr0 gamer go? Don't waste your mental peak on these things please...

Zakken
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:36 pm

Kara Kurt wrote: Good luck with that dude. It's nice to see it back!
Thank you!
Combinebobnt wrote: nice fake paragraphs, "why are you really hosting ctf again soulsucka?"
-Cuz u got banned from the IDL AND WDL and life is boring once you get past your mental apex
Someone was going to ask eventually. ^^ Some people still remember what happened then, so I wouldn't feel very happy talking about the return of these tournaments without at least clarifying on that. You're right in that being banned from WDL has made things more boring. I'm not banned from IDL anymore though.
one_Two wrote: How did becoming a pr0 gamer go? Don't waste your mental peak on these things please...
Jokes aside, like I said, I'm doing things at my own pace. It'd be great if I succeed, but I'm not pressuring myself too hard about it.